therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile
I have been a makeup and cosmetics junkie for 40 years! I have always loved the newest latest age defying product! But now I'm 50 something and I have adult acne!! I never had problems with my skin before. I also realized that all that money I was spending didn't stop the wrinkles -- they're still here! So now I've cleaned out the makeup closet and use an organic soap on my face, moisturizer, and some days mascara and lip gloss. I also use an SPF 30 as I am also a melanoma survivor! Now I just need to get a hat to wear! My skin looks better than it has in a long time. I'm glad to hear the good words about Bare Minerals because I would like to have a little something to even out my skin color but am not going back to liquid makeup!!

Kay

Proud Member of Farmgirls of North Clark County
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  10:55:07 AM  Show Profile
Kay - get that hat! I love hats, and MJF has one for sale, too.jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

teens
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  03:41:30 AM  Show Profile
I can across some fantastic certified organic make-up. Very hard to find. I saw metioned earlier about truly organic, not sure if you have seen this site: www.oneorganics.com for anyone who is intereted. also, anyone have a recipe for hair toner for blonde hair? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks ;)
Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  06:00:53 AM  Show Profile
I do not want to wear makeup, but I wear foundation due to the fact the skin on my face ( I am fairskinned) is red on my nose, cheeks and chin. I suspect it is sun damage, although it got worse (and stayed that way) during my first pregnancy. What can I do that doesn't involve laser surgery to make the skin tone even again?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  07:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I only wear makeup when I have to. Which is pretty rarely. Just not my thing. :)

I cut my waist-length hair short two years ago, and now am letting it grow back out - I miss my ponytail - but I don't think I want it beyond the shoulders any more. For now I tie a bandanna over my head most days - my hair is at the crazy stage! I cut it myself - for now tho I am just letting it be and I'll fix it in a few weeks.

Incidentally, I am getting known in this town for the bandanna. lol. Two of them are bright red!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  10:47:53 PM  Show Profile
therusticcottage.....I know a lot of people are happy with the Bare Minerals but I did notice that you are having a problem with acne. I too had very nice skin until about 4 years ago and now I have a problem with it. I tried the Bare Minerals line and they have bismuth as an ingredient, this has been known to be a skin irritant to some. I happen to be one of them. My acne got a lot worse after using this line. I REALLY like Aromaleigh mineral makeup. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing Bare Minerals at all because over all I think they have good mineral makeup but because of that ingredient I can't use it. I just wanted to let you know because it's expensive stuff and didn't want you to be disappointed like I was. If you're interested in Aromaleigh, the website is www.aromaleigh.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  12:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Is sodium hydroxide the same thing as lye? I am looking to order some shampoo bar soap that I stumbled across today (www.countrybeesoaps.com), but it states it has sodium hydroxide. I am a little new to buying organic & Natural products, I hope you can help.

Thanks for so many wonderful replys to other questions, thus far.
CountryChick

Edited by - CountryChick on Jul 10 2005 12:49:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

teens
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
here is info on Sodium Hydroxide-
Also known as caustic soda. A powerful alkali used in industry for cleaning drains and pipe lines also used in oven cleaners. Workers exposed to steam containing sodium hydroxide have suffered lung damage and an increased risk of throat cancer. Used in toothpastes and as a pH adjuster in skin creams. Causes contact dermatitis and sensitizes individuals to other chemicals.
From Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS): POISON! DANGER! CORROSIVE. MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES BURNS TO ANY AREA OF CONTACT. REACTS WITH WATER, ACIDS AND OTHER MATERIALS
Ingestion:
Corrosive! Swallowing may cause severe burns of mouth, throat, and stomach. Severe scarring of tissue and death may result. Symptoms may include bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea, fall in blood pressure. Damage may appears days after exposure.
Skin Contact:
Corrosive! Contact with skin can cause irritation or severe burns and scarring with greater exposures.
Eye Contact:
Corrosive! Causes irritation of eyes, and with greater exposures it can cause burns that may result in permanent impairment of vision, even blindness.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged contact with dilute solutions has a destructive effect upon tissue.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or eye problems or impaired respiratory function may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.
let me know if you need any more info.
Teens
Go to Top of Page

teens
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  5:52:41 PM  Show Profile
If you would like to know the definitions between natural, organic & certified organic, here is a link http://www.onegrp.com/front.aspx?id=organicterms&SessionID=486220582
cheers teens
Go to Top of Page

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  04:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as caustic soda or lye, is a caustic metallic base used in industry (mostly as a strong chemical base) in the manufacture of paper, textiles, and detergents.

I looked it up on expedia I guess it is Lye. Is there soaps made without Lye? Or is this the only way to make soap? Again new to the arena, and wanted use some natural products instead of store bought.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks Again.
Go to Top of Page

teens
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  05:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I am a big fan of this companies products - see posts above, I dont really have time to make them myself & I want the best I can get for my skin & my kids.
I use the liquid hand soap (main ingredient organic coconut oil)
and body wash (main ing Organic aloe vera leaf juice) for my soap needs.
From what I understand, soap can be made with coconut oil, but you want to make sure it is organic. eg We often see long chemical names followed by the phrase "derived from coconut oil". For example, to create cocamide DEA from coconut oil requires the use of a carcinogenic synthetic chemical (diethanolamine - DEA). It is therefore no longer natural (or safe). To insinuate that it is a natural substance by adding the phrase "derived from coconut oil" is deceitful. Just because vodka can be made from potatoes, doesn't mean it's good for you!
hope this helps.
Teens
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  11:41:47 PM  Show Profile
If I had one thing to choose of all makeup it would be mascara. If I had 2 it would be mascara and foundation... Usually I do 3 things. A foundation with sunscreen in it to protect my face, mascara and until I read that nasty e-mail about cow brains... lipstick. Now I have to throw away all my perfectly lovely lipstick and buy some of the natural stuff I've been trying to sell to everyone else!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  04:15:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CountryChick

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as caustic soda or lye, is a caustic metallic base used in industry (mostly as a strong chemical base) in the manufacture of paper, textiles, and detergents.

I looked it up on expedia I guess it is Lye. Is there soaps made without Lye? Or is this the only way to make soap? Again new to the arena, and wanted use some natural products instead of store bought

There isn't any lye in soap when it's done unless it wasn't made correctly.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  11:05:30 PM  Show Profile
I never leave my house without my mascara and lipstick and one squirt of cologne. Even when I am going out to the barn.O.K. once in a while I forget. LOL
Mostly blue jeans and flannel shirt.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  08:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Lately, for me, it's been concealer for those tell-tale lack of sleep eyes - Now, I know there's a natural cosmetic for this - SLEEP! - but right now, I believe that I actually FEEL better when I look awake. And then there's baby lotion - I just love the smell, and it's been the only "perfume" I can stand lately. That and Dove soap. Okay, AND some sort of lipgloss... One thing, however, that I find has made me feel actually lovely on the yuckiest of days is when I can muster a big, mostly-genuine smile. From there on out - it's just a matter of time before my cheeks get a little rosier, and so does my outlook!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  7:05:32 PM  Show Profile
I can honestly say since my sister died (age 51 lung cancer) that I think I have worn makeup once or twice - when she got sick and was losing her hair and blew up like a balloon on prednisone - (she had always been primped and wore mascara and lipstick and had her hair done), I suddenly realized how unimportant it was to look on the outside (with the exception of being clean of course) It is the inside of a person that matters most the outside is just the package. I have let my hair grow and wear in a pony most times and my grey is showing - when hubby commented on the grey I told him I was embracing my inner crone lol -
My mom had wonderful skin she used to put milk on her face and let it dry and then take it off with an ice cube and then rinse. I do use moisturizer on my face and I use skin creams and try to stay with products that are good for you - I buy my soap from farmgals just like you as then I know what is in them. I do like my body lotions and have been buying those made by homesellers also. Patchouli makes me feel wonderful - exotic.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  8:59:47 PM  Show Profile
I have mature skin plus rosacea. I have been using Missy's rose soap and a rosewater creme moisturizer. I hardly wear makeup -- hate the stuff -- and my skin looks better than it has in years. No more little whiteheads and the redness is diminishing. I know that anything with rose in it is excellent for mature and dry skin. I'm haven't dyed my hair in about 6 months and have quite a bit of gray now. Think I'm going to try a henna rinse and see what happens. I said I was going to keep dying my hair until I turned 60 then it would be time to go all gray. The verdict is still out on that one!

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  9:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Oh this is a great topic! Ive learned so much from you ladies. Recently ive been weening myself off of all my face and hair products as i too have crazy curly hair and have tried everything under the sun to try and tame it...but today i started throwing this stuff away...i love all my soaps and lotions from my local farmgirl made shop, and its worth every penny. No more products from the big chain stores. The things that i love to use the most are my Thayers witch hazel for my face and this great cocoa butter stick i get at the pharmacy. I always wear mascara, people always tell me i look tired when i dont wear it!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  07:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Once when I was in my early 20s, a coworker told me that I look better without make up. A simple comment at the end of a long day. She moved away, and I haven't seen her in probably 10 years, but that comment has stuck by me. It changed the way I looked at myself. I took it as a deeper compliment than a physical one, and whenever I start to feel that pressure to have the newest products, look a certain way, or feel bad about myself...I hear her saying that. We as women, in such small ways(like a heartfelt compliment), can make such an impact on each other. It gave me the courage to not cover up my face. As time went on I noticed that I prefer myself with less makeup. As far as makeup goes these days, I do wear some, but I try to keep it very minimal. I use a tinted moisturizer from Glo (a line of mineral makeup), a tiny bit of mascara, and burts bees lip gloss. I do love natural body products though & my DH likes to make fun of me for the multiple bottles and jars in the shower! I also love whipping up masks & scrubs in the kitchen. I use honey, olive oil, ground rice, oatmeal, essential oils, lemons, avacado etc. I love spending an evening at home playing mad scientist in the kitchen & then sitting around with my face covered in goo.

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  10:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Jude ... Gee, I'll bet you get that a lot (sorry, could not resist after I innocently typed it out) but I really wanted to laugh out loud when I ready your "mad scientist" routine. I liked your post ... and your outlook.
Has anyone done the cool slices of cucumber on the eyes as a nice refresh ... especially on those hot summer days.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile
If you mash up cucumbers with a little bit of plain yogurt, it makes the nicest mask. Lie back with it on for 5-10 minutes, with cuke slices over your eyes...very cooling!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  10:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey girls!
I'm not a big makeup fan, either. It makes me feel gross, especially in the summer, and my eyes burn by the end of the day. Once in a while it's nice to get dressed up and wear some make up, but it's not an everyday thing for me. Judes, I received the same comment a few months ago from my boyfriend. I was in a show choir and we wore tons of makeup so the lights didn't make us look washed out. My boyfriend came to one of the shows and afterwards we were sitting together talking and he told me I looked better without makeup. That simple comment really can make a big impact on the way you see yourself. It makes you realize that you can be beautiful just being yourself. As for shampoo and conditioner, I use Nature's Gate herbal. I use their toothpaste, as well. After using that, I can barely tolerate Crest. I use South of France honey soap for my body and face. I'd really like to try making my own soap and bath products! One thing I can't find a good natural alternative for is deodorant. All the ones I've tried leave me smelly by the end of the day! Maybe I'll try the deodorant stone with some essential oil. The stone by itself with water doesn't seem to work for me. When I was about 14, I colored my dark brown hair blonde. It made it dry and just didn't look nice. Then when I was about 18, I did streaks of hot pink! Then purple! It was fun, but I don't think I'd do it again! I really don't ever want to color my hair with chemicals again. At 20, I love my hair now in its natural state. Kinda longish, some layers, and brown! I've used henna a few times and really liked that. It's a super messy process, but so much fun! I've used different reds and those are really subtle, but make your hair shiny. Be careful with the black. They usually add indigo to it. It was very dark and my hair had a blue-ish tint to it. I did like it, though! This summer I'm working at a camp so my skin care product of choice will be sunscreen and my signature scent of bug spray and campfire smoke! Oh, that's another thing! Does anyone know of an effective natural bugspray that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or have a recipe for one? I use so much of the stuff and hate to think about all the DEET soaking into my skin. Well, I think I've blabbed on enough! I hope all of you realize how beautiful you are and I don't even need pictures to see that!

Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  07:07:51 AM  Show Profile
I read all the post and I want to check out some of the web sites everyone suggested. I have a problem with Itchy skin. I went back to my allergist and she did some test. I am allergic to nickel, chromium disulfate and Benzyl Alcohol. I went through all of my product and found quite a few with those ingredience. I had bought a skin care routine from Juicy Organics a month ago thinking it might help but when I got home I was quite surprized it had Benzyl Alchol in it. Does anyone know why this would be in a product?And how could such a chemical sounding name be in an orgainc product? The paperwork I was given at the dr and what I did a search for didnt show much but I did find other names it could be listed as.
Thank you,
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams

Edited by - LadyCrystal on Jul 01 2006 07:08:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  09:31:23 AM  Show Profile
I wear make-up maybe once or twice a year, if that. I recently started purchasing homemade soap and shampoo bars. I bought them from Sunrise Acres Farm, and love them, and then I bought some soap from Daisy Cakes Soap on Etsy, and the smell are heavenly. I eventually want to make my own soap and shampoo, just haven't got around to it. I make my own hairspray, and it works great. Usually for lotion, I use un-refined shea butter, or I mix up some essential oils in a carrier oil. I have to wash my hair daily, because I work with my mom in her dog grooming shop, bathing dogs, and I get dirty water and dog hair all over me, so I can't not wash. I would like to try to wean my hair off of daily washing, and tried it, but I just couldn't stand it. My hair and skin are in a lot better shape than they were. My husband has even started using the soaps and shampoo bars. I had to throw away all my shampoos and conditioners because I had about 5 varieties in my shower!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  3:59:11 PM  Show Profile
I keep my makeup pretty natural, too, but I do feel like I need some blush. I'm about out of my Clinique which I've worn for 20 years - any ideas for alternatives?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Farmgirl Beauty Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page