Page: of 3

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  10:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Just thought I would start some conversation here. What is your idea of farmgirl beauty? For me, I use whatever soap is in the shower and whatever lotion in on the sink to moisturize my whole body and face. Gorwing up in the country and being poor, I didn't have the luxury of bottles of stuff and always being in a hurry to get to some cooking, cleaning, animals, sewing, gardening or just get outside, I didn't really care.I became obsessed with the "beauty" thing when I first join the Navy. I was 21 and out on my own for the first time. I was heavily influenced and yes sadly pressured to look a certain way which meant falling into the oodles of bottles of junk, expensive or not, just to have in case I needed.(This included a clothes obsession too but that is another subject) This obsession wore on for a few years but slowly I weaned myself off after I realized it doesn't matter what I used, I will still look the same and actually my skin has cleared up quite a bit since a more simple approach. I am now back to the who the heck cares and I want more time for life. Spending an hour getting ready for me , I better be going to a wedding or the RITZ!!! ; ) I also realized every time I would go home, all the junk I had brought with me for a regimen remained in my bag and I went and used whatever was in the shower like I used too and it made things so much easier.Anyone else's inputs here??

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  10:50:12 AM  Show Profile
My idea of getting pretty is putting on mascara, which I rarely wear. I do particularly enjoy pedicures so now and again I splurge on one in the summer. My hair is cut for extremely easy daily maintenance. I do wash my face with a "special" soap to prevent breakouts. When I do wear a lot of makeup than my face breaks out. So I like it simple!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  11:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Clean Hair simply styled, Wavy curls for dressing up. I have shoulder length blonde hair that I cut and style myself. Pony tails on hot muggy days. Clean skin and plenty of sunscreen, spf 45! Lip balm and thats it. Maybe some mascara if I am going somewhere special and undereye concealer because I have dark circles and bags. I use a vanilla scented oil spray by Watkins to moisturize after the shower,it leaves the skin hydrated but not greasy. I try to have a positive outlook and good thoughts because negativism can show on the face and in the eyes, makes a difference.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  11:39:23 AM  Show Profile
I use moisterizer now since we moved here where it is dry 3 months ago. All the makeup I wear normally is eyeliner pencil and mascara. If you see more makeup on me I am really dressed up...years can go by without wearing lipstick!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  11:40:32 AM  Show Profile
3 years ago..not three months..ooops

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  10:50:23 AM  Show Profile
A natural beauty here too....I haven't had makeup on in about 5 years and don't intend to put any on any time soon, just don't see the reason for it when I have lots of other things to do and most of them involved things that would cause that makeup to come right off. Ocassionally I will put on mascara, but even that is very seldom.

As far as the other products, I make my own shampoo, soap, body scrub, face scrub and toner,lip balm and powder. I don't make my own lotion but that's just because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

My hair is cut short, think Jamie Lee Curtis in Freaky Friday, and it's a breeze to wash and it's ready to go in 30 seconds with a bit of hairspray or pomade. Used to have hair down below my shoulders but it stayed in a ponytail or bun most of the time because of the heat or it got in the way so cut it and haven't looked back. In fact, don't ever imagine that I'll have it any longer again.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  11:44:22 AM  Show Profile
Julie, plese describe your process for making powder, and what kind of powder it is, face or body?
Thanks!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  9:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Clare,

It's body powder and I'll get the recipe posted tomorrow...

Auden
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  2:13:23 PM  Show Profile
These are the basic ingredients that I use and then I customize it to whatever suits my fancy at the time. I make small batches and then it is always fresh and since it is easy to make there's no trouble making more when you need it.

corn starch
arrowroot powder
honey powder
koalin clay
slippery elm bark powder

essential oil of your choice, about 10 drops
Lavender, tea tree and peppermint are good choices but you can use whatever you want to.

My Basic Recipe

2 TBSP honey powder
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp arrowroot
pinch of slippery elm (make sure it is ground fine)
pinch of kaolin clay (make sure it is ground fine)

10 drops lavender oil
4 drops tea tree oil

Mix the powders well. Add the essential oils and mix again well. Allow to sit in an open container until the powder is "dry" and then mix again. Place in a container with a close fitting lid, this is especially important if you are using slippery elm or kaolin as moisture can make them harden.

Apply with a powder puff or a feather duster

You can play with this and use any ingredients or amounts that you like, just have fun!!!!

Auden
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  06:30:59 AM  Show Profile
I will admit that I am one of those people with tons of bottles of styling products. I have naturally curly hair and have been trying for years to make my spiral curls look like those I see on TV. In the process, my hair has become brittle and dry thanks to years of blow dryer use. Three weeks ago, I said goodbye to my blowdryer and I now let my hair air dry. It seems to be softer and is getting healthier. I'm also letting it grow out (used to be really long then I cut it short) so now it's at the shaggy-dog stage.

As far as makeup goes, I will ONLY use the mineral makeup. My mother and I are currently using Bare Minerals. It's absolutely wonderful! I learned after years of pimples that it was liquid foundation doing it. I rarely have a pimple anymore and it's fabulous. I also can't wear mascara because it makes my eyes itch and hurt but the mineral-based mascaras don't seem to bother me.

I would so long to go without makeup but I fear that I would frighten small children with my blotchy skin!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  09:28:14 AM  Show Profile
I too used to be a product junky and have tons and tons of bottles sitting around (I still am with shampoo and conditioners) but I realized that I am spending tons of money on needless things. My routine now is wash with a natural soap from www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com which I also use for my body, then a homemade toner of witch hazel and Apple Cider Vinegar and IF I need to moisturize a very small drop of Aloe Vera Gel with one drop of Jojoba oil. My skin has never looked as smooth and healthy looking. I rarely wear makeup anymore and if I do it's mineral makeup from Aromaleigh and mascara.
Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi, farmgirls! I love this topic, as I make my own lotion bars and am experimenting with other natural body products. I try to use only certified organic ingredients, and only essential oils for fragrance. It's always great to read about other natural body care regimens!

As for me, I use only natural, locally made soaps that I find at the co-op or other natural food stores. I admit that I just placed an order for some soaps at chagrin valley soap and craft, provided by Catscharm74 below because their products looked so good!

Anyway, does anyone have any recipes or regimen ideas for oily skin? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  10:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Rachel:
Thanks for posting about Bare Minerals . . . I've been wanting to try it and now I will. I've been unsure because it seems like ordering makeup from afar would make it hard to get the right color(s). But I'll do my best to chose and see how it goes.
My face is blotchy from sun (brown spots) and even though I'm pretty religious about putting on sunscreen, it probably drips off my face pretty quickly when I start working outside. I sweat A LOT! And turn bright RED! when I do any kind of workout. People sometimes think I'm over doing it or I'm in bad condition . . . but it's just the way I am. Do any of you others worry about too much sun? I guess a hat would work . . . but I find them horribly uncomfortable with all my sweating. My hair would literally be plastered to my head.
Thanks,
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  12:53:14 PM  Show Profile
JanaM...I think you will really like the soaps. Which ones did you order? I also have one of the lotion bars that I use ALL the time. My kids even ask for that lotion instead of the commercial kinds. I find the prices very reasonable too.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  12:55:38 PM  Show Profile
JanaM...I also just saw you were looking for an oily skin regime. See my previous post and see if that would work for you. I have very, very oily and acne prone skin and I find this works for me. If I get a breakout at all (now usually just one a month) I use tea tree oil. HTH
Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Lonestargal!

It was actually your beauty regimine that inspired my question! I'll definitely give it a try for my skin. As for the soaps, I ordered a few regular sized bars and a few of the sample size. I ordered the avacado shea, chamomile calendula, and dead sea spa soaps. I also ordered the calendula complexion and rosemary lemon and aloe in sample sizes to try out. Do you have a favorite? I've even turned my boyfriend and his 14 year old son on to shampoo bars -it's nice to help introduce others to more natural products - because people often forget (or just don't know) how superior they can be!

I didn't order any lotion bars because I make them myself! I love the way they make my skin feel! I'm even thinking about selling them at the local farmers market along with my natural carpet freshener!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  6:52:38 PM  Show Profile
JanaM...I think right now my favorite soap is the orange coconut and my favorite shampoo bar is the nettle. I'm still new to the shampoo bar thing so I'm slowly getting myself adjusted to it. Right now I can't use it everyday because my hair feels coated. I've tried the vinegar rinses. Any other suggestions? How long have you used shampoo bars? The natural soaps and lotion bars are way awesome though!!! I agree about they way they make your skin feel. So soft and silky.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  7:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls, It's been mentioned elsewhere in other topics about a few companies that are truly organic, so I'll pass those on here, too. Eileen is associated with this company: www.jpdurga.com
This is a good resource with a variety of products.

Also, I've stumbled across a company called Terressentials, whose products I really like, too. Check out their story at:
http://www.terressentials.com/different.html
At the bottom of the page is a link to "tricks of the trade" that is quite enlightening, and worth the read.

I have to share my experience with their hair wash product... notice it is not a labeled a shampoo, because it does not foam or lather. It is a product made from clay, yes- clay. It is a most unusual experience to use this product, but I quite like what it does for my hair... it strips it of all the chemical residues and leaves it with its original texture. They do caution that if you have used any chemicals on your hair, such as hair coloring or perms, etc., that you will be startled by the results, since it takes quite a while for hair to recover from those processes. What I found, since I haven't "lightened" my hair in a good 8 months, is that I really like my original hair texture... I really never knew what it was. And you know what, it reminds me of my father's hair texture... my father who was bald on top and probably only used his bar of soap to also wash his head.... ahhh.. yes... my real hair texture. I have thick and wavy hair, so it was quite a revelation to have learned this. You know what it reminds me of? How about a Native person, of any land or time, who does not have access to products. How would they clean the natural oil from their hair? Most likely go down to the riverbank and use some "riverclay" to absorb the oils, then rinse. Now I know this sounds extremely elemental, but ya know, for someone who's been raised only on chemical hair products, it is quite a nice surprise. Takes some getting used to for sure. Not wild about the dirt residue in the shower afterwards, but this tells me that it truly is what it says it is.

So I encourage y'all to explore, try, be open minded... give it a go!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  7:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Clare- I am going to give this a try. I haven't colored my hair in about 7 months. I am looking for a way to get my "real" hair back. Been a lOOOOONG time since I've seen it so I don't know exactly what the texture is anymore. Do you wash everyday????
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  7:39:19 PM  Show Profile
I wash every other day, which seems to work well for me. They say daily washing really isn't good for your hair/scalp.(Who is they, anyway ???) When I first started with it, I had to wash with a regular shampoo afterwards... it was just too different... took some getting used to, but now I enjoy it. Good luck to you on rediscovering your original hair!

Oh yes... forgot to mention earlier that they offer trial sizes of all their products. That's what I started with.

Edited by - Clare on Jun 11 2005 7:44:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  9:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info Clare...
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  2:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Yet another great topic here - and what great ideas!

I am a fan of Burt's Bees for most soaps, lotions, etc., Aveda for hair and some makeup (which is pretty much lipstick or gloss) and I have also recently begun using BareMinerals and have been quite happy with it, especially since it really does feel like "nothing" on your skin and admittedly I do need a *little* something ;-) (and was that a run-on? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

teens
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  7:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I am a great fan of organic as well, nothing like 'mother nature' on your skin. I used to use off the shelf creams, but kept getting rashes so I use only certified organic products now. I have never really worn make-up, but I do like to wear a little something for special occasions, but then it is pretty much just lippy & mascara, and only organic of course!!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  08:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey for any of you ladies who struggle with naturally curly hair I can a tip I found in a book store in NYC. This was a book on curly hair. I have been struggling with curly hair my whole life and I tryed this in my hair really liked it. Do not wash your curly hair with soap or shampoo only with a good conditioner. Curly hair is very dry and fragile and soap washes out any of the natural oils that are in the hair and curly doesn't have much to begin with. I have found that it works. I am currently working on coming up with a conditioner recipe but it's really hard, I only recipes that I find have chemicals in them and I am very picky about what I put on my hair and skin. Your skin is like an external intestine , so whatever you put on your skin your body will directly absorb it into you blood stream so in that case I don't use anything that has any chemicals in it or things that I don't reconize. I wore makeup as a teen but my Mother always told me that I didn't need any so I finally listened. I make my own soaps, I use witchazel to wash my faca and homemade creams for my face and body, all kind of essentail oils for scenting myself, for deoderant I use one of those rock crystals and pachouli oil. Oh also to tame my curly hair I use a mixture of oils - olive, wheat germ, avocado and jojba oils.

Does anyone know a recipe of a creamy conditioner?

My Mother-in-law, who is full of little wisdoms said to me once by the time your 40 ( or around that time I suppose) your face will begin to show who you really are. If you have tryed to lead a peaceful, positive life then your face will show it. I'm sure that this is not always the case but, you can see it in people when you really look. Bleesed Be Sisters.

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  08:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
I *love* this book! The recipe for the lavendar water is almost identical to one Aveda sells -- for a lot of $$! I have found that, since I stopped washing my hair with shampoo, it's made a world of difference. I get compliments on it all the time. I recommended it to a number of the stylists at the salon where I used to do bodywork.

Now if I just didn't have to color it to cover the ashy-gray color!

pj

[quote]Originally posted by sqrl

Hey for any of you ladies who struggle with naturally curly hair I can a tip I found in a book store in NYC. This was a book on curly hair.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile
I wear my hair in a long braid with bangs ala MaryJane, my nails are short, and mascara is my normal make up. A big sunhat cause I'm a melanoma survivor and I'm good to go. I'm a low maintenance farm girl. : )
I did splurge this spring on some skin care products from Jean Seboyan/Beaute de Paris. She advocates no water on the face - a totally foreign concept to me. I'm 39 with ruddy combonation that features lovely regular monthly breakouts. I have to admit my skin looks better than ever now.

My new favorite cheap fun body lotion is Jergen's Shimmer.

The soaps sound yummy!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Farmgirl Beauty Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page