Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory Next Topic
Page: of 3

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  04:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Yep, Connie! That is exactly what my skates looked like under the tree! Too fun to see them again!! Thanks for all the great memories!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  06:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Terri, I loved Chatty Cathy!
Judy, I think I saw a picture of the Brown kitchen toys! I will go back and look!
Marilyn, What great memories! Your right, I love playing with my Friends Toys more and sometimes my brother's racetrack! My daughter had stompers and a Hot Wheels racetrack! She was more of a Tom Boy than me growing up!
Winnie, I am so tickled I found a picture of your skates!!
Maddie, I am so glad Giggles was in the catalog, What great memories you shared!
Like Julie said, Living out in the country or really small towns we didn't get to see toys much, except on TV Commercials during Cartoons. I got to go to Sears Tower Crosstown, A 15 story building! in Memphis about 4 Times during my childhood! It was so exciting! They had a x-ray machine in the shoe Dept. that you could stick your feet in and see your bones, They took it out because of too much radiation exposure! There was always popcorn cooking at the candy counter, It was like going to Disneyland to us! Once when all of us kids were playing at Carla's, her dad said he was going to Sears= Crosstown, we said," can we go, can we go ,Please! " so he took 4 kids with him to buy a wrench! LOL!! Back then(1963) it was safe to roam in the store alone as a kid, so we headed straight for the toy Dept. he bought us a large popcorn and we all sat in the back seat, all 4 of us eating popcorn on the way home! It was about a 10 mile trip. In the 1970's they made the 4th floor a Sears Outlet store, it was fun to go and get great buys! I bought my daughter a lot of cute dresses there that came from the last years catalog and they had things that people ordered and sent back. It was really cheap. They had other Sears outlet stores around town and they all closed up in the early 90's. Right now Memphis is restoring the Sears Crosstown Tower, many Business will move their offices there and it will have a art gallery and a tea room, which Sears had back in the day! Those of us who grew up here are so excited to get to go inside again! it has been closed since the 1980's

My Hubby loves that you are enjoying this post, he comes in and reads your comments too!
Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 23 2013 06:41:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  06:40:37 AM  Show Profile
For you Younger Farm Girls, I have a friend who has a 70's Sears Wish Book, not sure what year, I think 1978, I will borrow it and scan some pictures, but I think it will still be too old for our baby Farm Girl Heather!

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  08:37:35 AM  Show Profile

Connie,

When I got out of high school...I immediately went to work...I worked at a "Dime Store"...guess what my job was...running the candy counter...there was bins full of all kinds of candies...I made fresh popcorn and peanuts everyday...how I wish there was something like that here now...I can remember sweet elderly people coming by and asking for a quarters worth or fifty cents worth of goodies...the sweet elderly ladies would get the money out of their little "change purse"...we had an assortment of Christmas candies during the Holiday Season and the little kids would come in with their grandparents a lot of time and be mesmerized by all the different kinds of candy behind the glass...so precious...one of the little girls is now a sweet lady who does my hair...it just came to my mind...I will have to ask her does she remember coming in the store with her granny...the store was divided into 3 sections...one was hardware and housewares with a sit down snack bar...had the best homemade coleslaw around...another was clothing and fabric...and my side also had toys...cards and seasonal decorations...I loved the Christmas Season and all the hustle and bustle of families shopping...

I saw the kitchen set you posted...mine was somewhat like that but not exactly the same...I love hearing every ones thoughts and memories...what a wonderful and fun thread...

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  10:24:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh Judy! I want that job you had!! You have got to ask her if she remembers coming in with her Granny, I bet she would get a kick out of you remembering!!Sounds just like the Woolworth's I went to with my Granny! from 1963-1970. Thanks for sharing!! I just soo love reading these stories!!!!!!!!!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  10:57:44 AM  Show Profile
You're getting closer Connie! I was born in 1979. I'll be 34 next Saturday. It is great to read everyone's stories though. The toys may have been updated, but Christmas is a magical time no matter what you get. One of my favorite memories was the year we got a gift with all 4 of us kids' name on it. We couldn't imagine what it would be for all of us. It was a Nintendo!!! We didn't have much money growing up either so it was totally unexpected but oh so wonderful!!! It had the powerpad with it to run races and the gun for duck hunt. I actually still have it (minus the powerpad and gun)!!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Edited by - nndairy on Nov 23 2013 11:18:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  12:00:29 PM  Show Profile
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Heather :-) You are around the same age as my son, he'll turn 33 in February & YES, I played with his LEGO's ~~~ LOL

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  12:29:50 PM  Show Profile
Heather, your so right about the magic of Christmas! and those Nintendo's were expensive! What a great Christmas memory!
Maddie, I played with Holly's lego's too, We are all still just big kids at my house! LOL!! got to play with them all over again when my God-Children were little. We have a lot of Holly's toys still upstairs, her first doll and her first toy box with a lite-brite inside, they made those things for decades, I think they still do.

Happy Early Birthday Heather!! I will be adding some more pic's tomorrow! I am borrowing a 1977, and a 1980! catalog this evening, so I will scan it tomorrow.

Hugs! Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 23 2013 12:31:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  12:45:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! We had a bunch of legos too. I remember wanting a lite-brite but never got one. Now you're getting into my time frame :) I bet I'll remember stuff from the 1980's catalog. When did cabbage-patch kids and care bears come out? I have mine upstairs.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  12:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I believe the Cabbage Patch dolls were popular in the early 80's. I remember it making the news that people were attacking each other waiting in line to get a doll & the lines were really long. Now I see the poor things in secondhand shops CHEAP!
The son loved his Glow Worm :-) Do you remember them Heather ?

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I may still a couple glow worms!!!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  2:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Connie...well, I finally found your Sears Posts...we never got Sears Catalogs because my parents never shopped there.
We got a JC Penney's and a Montgomery Wards Catalog though...and we would always mark our favorite toys...but we never got what
we marked either. Our Mom's probably figured that it at least kept us occupied for a long while as we poured over every-
thing. I never had a Barbie or Chatty Cathy but my little sister had both. I had a pink haired Ballerina that was just Magical Looking and a 25 inch Fashion Doll with three different outfits all on dress stands, high heels and purses and a Wardrobe to keep it all in...so with this doll so amazingly awesome I wasn't much interested in Barbies. I wish I could remember her name...but I can't. Way to long ago.

Thanks for sharing and I loved reading everyone's comments.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess

Edited by - LadyInRed on Nov 23 2013 2:31:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  3:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday next weekend Heather!

You are still about 10 years younger than me but I do remember light brights (my cousins had one), carebears and cabbage patch dolls. And let's not forget Stretch Armstrong, Strawberry Shortcake and Snurf dolls either! And Fashion Plates...does anyone remember those?

I still have my original cabbage patch doll which was a gift from my cousins. I heard the story about them waiting all day in line to get theirs. Since I was a full blooded tomboy I never played with my doll so the original dress and diaper is still on it! I'm debating on whether or not to give it to my niece when she gets a little bit older.

I also have my mom's Terri Lee and Jerri Lee dolls with some of their original outfits. And my grandma's three porcelain dolls and a teddy bear from the 1920's which I was never allowed to play with. But these girls, boy and bear are mine for keeps and won't be handed down any time soon.

What a fun trip down memory lane this has become!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Nov 23 2013 3:18:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  7:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Glad you made it Peggy! I loved hearing your memory!

Marilyn, Thanks for reminding us of Stretch Armstrong, Strawberry shortcake, Care Bears and Cabbage Patch, My Holly loved all of those! I was working at K-mart in 1982- or 1983, When the craze was on for Cabbage Patch. Our Store manager had to lock the dolls in his office and have drawings to buy them! It was crazy! My Holly got one that year not because I worked there, but because earlier that Fall I was at Service Merchandise and there was the funniest looking doll I had ever seen. It was $12.99 , so I bought it for my Holly for Christmas. I stashed it away and then around Thanksgiving the news started running stories about the Doll, I was so excited I had one and was scared to tell anybody! LOL! I was tempted to sell it for $300.00 to ads in the newspaper, but I thought the look on my Holly's face would be priceless! I have one new in the box never opened wearing Yellow eyeglasses and a Yellow Sweater, It was a gift to my Granny from my Dad in 1984. She collected Dolls her whole life, so when she passed away, It came back to me. My Mom was in the right place at the right time and bought Holly a Boy Cabbage Patch, what happened later on, was the stores stopped advertising them, if we got a shipment at K-mart, they just put them on the shelves, saying Limit 1 per Customer. that was before cell phones and texting, Oh lord what a crowd !it would have been worse!

Maddie is right, they do not have much value. I see them every where, even new in the box they were only $30.00. I think the ones from the 80's had cutier clothes. I remember the Glow-Worm! AWWWW
All my little cousins got them in the 80's and brought them over to play dolls with Holly.

I have a pic of them somewhere but here is a pic of my Holly with the 2 she got that year. She is 37 now!
Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 23 2013 7:20:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  8:00:22 PM  Show Profile
That's a really cute picture of Holly, Connie! I can't begin to imagine having Cabbage-patch crazed shoppers with cell phones in hand. What a nightmare that would be. Probably something like people now who camp out for a day or more before gadgets come out on the market and then fight over them so the police have to be on hand to keep the peace!

I just remembered another fad from the 80's that was pre-Cabbage patch dolls....I can't remember the name but it was a battery operated baby doll my cousins and I had that ate "baby food" from a spoon and drank from a bottle then needed a diaper change. They were the rage at our elementary school. Anyone remember what she was called? The "food" came in packets that you mixed with water.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 1970-80's era catalog pages.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  06:24:53 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, Thank you! Holly is the light of our life !! I think it was Baby Alive? by Mattel. Holly didn't have that doll but it seems like a neighbor did. I remember all those TV commercials when Holly was little, she was always "mom, mom come look at this," I want that! and We got the Wish Book, I am so glad that she got to experience waiting for The Wish book! It is so funny, she will tell you, she rarely got what she drew a circle around in the Wish Book! LOL!! We were on a tight budget too! Holly was the only grandchild on both sides, so grandparents did get a few things we could not afford. I will check those 2 catalogs and I will be scanning and posting some more pictures after Breakfast. I am so tickled that you are sharing and enjoying these post! It is so much fun when someone else remembers something a toy we forgot and all those memories come flooding back! Holly is just as excited as us, she is having me email her all the pictures I scan. LOL!! She is waiting on the 70-'s 8o's pictures too, I will email you when I get them posted!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  09:43:21 AM  Show Profile
OOOOOh Thanks Connie!
Wow do those toys bring back fun times! We didn't have the Sears Christmas wish book until much later but the Eaton's Wish Book was to die for when I was young!!!! They stopped producing the book YEARS ago but when it was going it was the "hottest" thing in the house! Of course us kids helped Santa out by circling THEE item & folding the page down plus the million hints to Mom didn't hurt! LOL
My fav doll was Chatty Kathy straight from the Eaton's book. You pulled a string & she talked. She had blonde hair, pink dress & was PERFECT! I didn't even notice the "high" pitch voice! LOL It's strange how fast that string broke...I'm still looking for the guilt party...big brother is high on the list! LOL
Santa even needed a wee bit of help when hubby & I were first married.....Eaton's wish book to the rescue. LOL I circled a few items & let hubby, I mean Santa find it!
TOOOOO fun Connie!
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  09:44:58 AM  Show Profile
I am posting a pic of a beloved Childhood Toy from Ms. Judy Mills. I would love it! if anyone has pictures they would love to post of yours or your kids Christmas pics!
Judy, I know he is Special, Is it Boo-Boo from Yogi bear?

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  09:50:59 AM  Show Profile
These pics. are from a 1982 Sears Wish Book! I am having a blast with this one, I ordered my Holly a Annie nightgown from this catalog! My friend Barbara says she is surprised, being the pack-rat I am, that I didn't save the catalogs from when Holly was little. I honestly dont't think they survived, cause all the neighborhood kids played at my house all year thru, and I remember at least 4 at a time lying on the floor, looking thru the wish book. This one brought back a flood of memories for me the House wares section! I saw stuff that I found at the Sears Outlet the next Spring a 1/4 of the catalog price! Holly said this was the baby that got diaper rash! LOL! and Miss Piggy, My Holly grew up on Sesame Street!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  10:01:43 AM  Show Profile
1982 Sears Wish book.

My Holly said she can't wait to get a hold of this catalog on Thanksgiving Day! her cousin Melissa who grew up next door to us is coming out also just to see the Catalog! LOL! It will be a joy to hear them Giggle and laugh!
More pics to come!

Connie
Imagine....#3392!

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 24 2013 10:03:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  10:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Sears Wish book 1982 More to come!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 24 2013 10:09:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  10:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Sears Wish Book 1982

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  10:20:09 AM  Show Profile

Connie...love the pictures :-) :-) :-) my husband and I think he is Yogi Bear:-) :-) :-) he is over 50 years old :-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  10:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Sears Wish Book 1982

I did notice that the pages of the 1982 catalog was twice as thin as the pages form the 1965 one, the scanning tools to brighten and sharpen did not work as well on this paper.
The TV show Friends did an episode about the Girl's bike above with the white Basket and Pink Flowers on it, It was so beloved!

Hope you enjoy them!
Marilyn, I found Stretch Armstrong, he was in the 1978 catalog, will get them on here by tonight, I hope!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 24 2013 10:31:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  10:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Judy!! Yes, bending down the pages, circling, anything to draw attention! LOL!! Oh I love your memory! Chatty Cathy was a beloved Doll for girls our ages! My best friend had one and I love to change her clothes, she had a red velvet coat and hat that I remember to this day. Hallmark had a Chatty Cathy Ornament out a few years ago, it has the string and it talks!. My best friend Barbara gave it to me for Christmas and I actually cried!! They have them in the secondary market, Ebay and some Vintage Esty sellers had them.
I took this picture about 2 weeks ago at a fall festival in the historic town square of Covington, Tn. They had a lot of Vintage 1950's-60's toys and they were sooo expensive!

Hugs!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page