Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory Next Topic
Page: of 3

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  10:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Every year My Hubby and I recall our "Waiting on the Wish Book" memories! I would start watching the mail In October, getting so excited when finally it came and getting in line for my turn! After everyone had their turn and then my Granny would be looking for it, I had it!!LOL!! Hope this makes you smile! It does us! This Catalog was a gift from my Hubby in 1999,the year I was diagnosed with MS. I cannot even say how much joy it brought to us that year!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  11:15:44 AM  Show Profile
I rarely got anything I picked out. But this particular year, I got Miss peep, the doll in the Pink Blanket in the 2nd picture. My best friend Cathy Baker, who lived 4 houses down from me got the same doll! We met outside Christmas afternoon to take our dolls for a walk! I remember that like it was yesterday! and I still have Miss Peep!

Connie
Imagne....#3392
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  12:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh! My Thank You Connie for posting this :-) I see some familiar things :-) Beaming from ear to ear (*_*)

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I'm a young pup! If the year reads 1965 like I think my mom was only 4!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  12:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Maddie! Aww I am so glad you enjoyed the pictures! I know what you mean! I can feel my grin going from ear to ear turning the pages!
Heather you are a baby! I was in the 3rd grade in 1965! Now you see what us ole timers toys looked like! They are all for sale on Ebay! LOL!
Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 22 2013 12:35:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  1:21:35 PM  Show Profile
At least they lasted to put on e-bay!! Most toys now are junk :( Or they're no good with out some kind of technology. I asked my mother-in-law one day what on earth my generation is going to have to put in the antique stores. I've yet to come up with anything.
I do remember looking at some catalog near Christmas time that my Grandma always had. I'm just not sure what store they were from. I always circled a bunch of stuff, but the only thing I remember getting is a big yellow winter coat!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  1:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Connie, these photos are a hoot! I don't remember the Sears catalogue or maybe we just did not get one but there was a toy store downtown that was the inspiration for my wish list. One Christmas when I was 14, i learned to ice skate 3 days before Dec. 25. I remember coming home and telling my parents I knew what I wanted for Christmas. Since I had not asked for anything that year, I was thrilled to find a pair of white skates under the tree! Those skates gave me many hours every year on frozen ponds with my friends. And many falls too!!! For those of you who ice skated, remember crack the whip?? Oh yeh, a wild ride usually ending on your butt. In 1965, I was 14 and that was the year of skates!

Winnie#3109
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  2:03:07 PM  Show Profile

Love the pictures...I remember Montgomery Wards and Aldens catalogs also:-) such wonderful memories...even though we only got a little at Christmas we felt rich as we had family and that was what was really important :-) :-) :-) just being together...Connie do you remember the big Christmas lights we put on a real tree...I am not sure how old I was when we got the first artificial tree...

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  2:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Connie, my brothers and I would fight over who gets to look at the Wish book first :) I remember getting a doll (kind of like Crissy with the hair that would grow) her name was Kerry. I loved that doll and would sit under the Silver Maple tree in our yard and just brush her hair.

Judy, we have some of those large lights that I put on our tree :)

Heather, you youngster

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Connie,
It's like stepping back into my childhood! I would sit for hours dreaming of all the toys and dolls I wanted and making BIG check marks next to the things I wanted for Christmas! Thanks so much for sharing!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive

Edited by - kysheeplady on Nov 22 2013 2:56:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Heather a yellow winter coat sounds awesome!!You are soo right, they don't make things like they use to!
Winnie, what a fun story! I only got to ice skate once when I was in my 20's and I loved it! Living here in the South, we got to skate only after Ice shows and Hockey games were over.
Judy, I remember Aldens!! I love those big lights, we still put them on the outside of our house every year since the 1975. That is what we will do tomorrow if it is not raining! The replacement bulbs are getting harder to find, So I buy them every year as soon as Lowe's puts them out, they don't carry many and they go fast!
Sharon, I have seen Crissy in Antique stores!I know all of us Girls had a Doll that we just loved! WE fought like cats and dogs over who was gonna get it first, so my Granny would take it, then make us draw straws to see who got it next!LOL!!
Terri! WE did the same thing! LOL!!I used a different color ink pen than my Aunt ! LOL!!I am tickled that all of you are enjoying the pics, I love them so much! I will have to scan some more later.

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon :-) I think your Kerry doll was Crissy's friend.
My favorite doll was Giggles :-) My first doll was Thumbelina :-)

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Maddie! I remember Giggles! awwwwwww I loved Thumbelina! Remember the commercial on TV saying she was like a real baby! I need to look and she if she is in the catalog!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2307 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2307 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:17:21 PM  Show Profile
My sisters and I spent so many hours looking through this catalog and wishing. Rarely did we ever get what we wished for, but living on a farm many miles from stores we never got to go to this was about the only way we ever saw what new toys were out there. Thank You Connie for the memories.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Madeline!!! I LOVED my Giggles doll!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ideal-1966-Giggles-Doll-w-orig-Clothes-Sandals-Works-Excellent-w-instructions-/141121238089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20db7b3449

And yes Kerry was Crissy's friend :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Vtg-Ideal-KERRY-crissy-family-Doll-Growing-hair-w-Box-No-Reserve-/321253019461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acc2c0f45

Did anyone ever have a Dancerina doll? It was a ballerina doll, there was a knob on top of her tiara that you would turn and then hold (hold doll lightly standing up) so she could dance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-MATTEL-DANCERINA-DOLL-WITH-NO-RESERVE-/221322234701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3387d54b4d

Sorry to rabbit trail Connie!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie! So glad it made you smile, same with our family as you said!
Winnie, here are Ice skates!
Sharon, Here is Crissy! I am still looking for Giggles! My hubby just told me we have a Aldens catalog form 1968 I think, I will check it out.

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Sharon! I just scanned this! LOL! That was a lot of money back then for Dancerina!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:50:17 PM  Show Profile

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:52:00 PM  Show Profile
I did get a pair of skates one year and my little brother got hockey skates ... I LOVED skating on the pond after school ...LOVE ice skating, would spend hour after hour, till my toes were frozen. I remember how hard it was to put shoes on frozen feet ... Those were the days ... today you can't even get kids outside ... LOL!!

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  3:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Teri, I would have loved that! I always watched ice skating on Tv when I was a kid!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  4:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Remember those pet PJ bags, I never had one, but my friend Carla had the pink doggie above, you unzipped the back and put your P's in it! her Dad worked for International Harvester so those kids got a lot of toys at Christmas, which was good for the rest of us, we played at their house all the time! LOL! They were good people!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 22 2013 4:03:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  4:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Maddie and Sharon, here is Giggles!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  4:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Connie,
I may be dating myself ... but I had a Chatty Cathy doll ... LOVED her and my Barbies so much!

Teri

www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  6:20:28 PM  Show Profile

Girls...one year I got a yellow and brown stove and refrigerator with plates and food...and a doll bed...I had to have been the happiest little girl in the world:-) :-) :-)
I had a huge coloring book and song book with all the "classic" songs in it...it was full of the old time Christmas pictures...like carolers and families sitting by the fireplace and making decorations for the tree...oh what memories :-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  10:01:06 PM  Show Profile
I was into circling Tonka trucks, Stompers, Lincoln Logs, Legos and Playmobil sets in the 2-inch thick Jafco and JCPenney catalogs that used to come out every year when I was a kid in the 1970's. I remember what a big deal it was when my mom and grandma used to take us along to these stores to pick up the new catalog edition every fall.

I always hoped for a pair of ice skates too, but never got them because lakes don't freeze over during the winter here. But I did get a really racey pair of rollerskates for my birthday one year - white leather boots with sparkly blue stripes and sparkly red wheels. I wore through two sets of wheels before I outgrew them as I proceeded to "speed skate" through the neighborhood.

Connie, I love your story about playing at your friend's house. All the neighborhood kids lived at my house when we were growing up because of our toys. My Dad bought a bunch of new tractors for the business one year and the salesman gave my brother and I toy replicas of each machine. So we had miniature John Deere tractors in our sandbox to play with. But the funny thing was I always enjoyed playing with our friend's toys more than my own. I guess it's all about the novelty of something you don't own yourself. Isn't it funny how that works?

Thanks for starting this post...it's bringing back lots of memories and educating we younger farmgirls about the toys our parents and grandparents used to play with.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  02:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Thank You Connie for Giggles :-) Brings back such happy memories. That picture is the exact same one I had. She also came with light hair & a different outfit.
I guess I was kind of lucky in that I got to know my sisters old toys as she grew up in the 50's & my nieces grew up in the 70's, so while baby sitting them we would play for hours ;-)
My brother used to get all bent out of shape when I let Barbie drive his Tonka's & painted his Hot Wheels with nail polish, when the color on them didn't quite look right LOL. I remember when the Dawn doll ruled over Barbie for a few years. I really liked her a lot, she was nice & small & what beautiful clothes she had.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page