Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory Next Topic
Page: of 3

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  06:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh Connie-
What wonderful memories you have helped rekindle in my brain!!! My best friend- who was an only child- one Christmas got Baby Alive and a pinball machine!! I always wanted a Baby Alive but never received one and she didn't like to share very much!! I did see the picture with the Barbie camper and I did get one of those and played with it for hours and hours- boy, did I have fun with my Barbies!!! One of my fondest memories was getting an Easy Bake oven and baked for hours and hours- mostly waiting for things to get done!! :) I would even wear one of my moms aprons- it had to real to me!! Thank you so much for sharing, I'm sure I will be stopping back to see other stories and pics! The Christmas catalog was such a treasure in our home!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  08:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lori! Thanks for stopping in and sharing your Sweet Memories!! My whole family is reading all these posts and loving them all!! Come back again, I will let you know when I get baby Alive's picture scanned and posted! Hugs! I'm off to the Kitchen to start Thanksgiving prep!

This is one of those Dolls that was sold in the Grocery Store, I am restoring this one for a friend who found it so dirty at a garage sale, but she is 50 plus years old. I did the best I can, still mending lace! In the 1950's-to late 1960's salesmen would come from the Deluxe Reading CO, in Pa and go around to small towns that did not have Dept. stores and leave samples of toys and the store owner would take orders. I remember, going to the store with my granny and going straight to stare at the toys on the very top shelf! they could not be reached by little hands. I got Betty Beauty Parlor 2nd grade and Candy fashion Doll around the 4th grade. Both of these can be found on Ebay as well as you can google the History Of Deluxe Reading which became Topper Toys.
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile
LOVE IT!!! I will have to get some pictures of what I have left soon.

What about the pound puppies and kitties? My husband decided on day that he was too old for stuffed animals and burned them all (my in-laws were not happy) but patches survived - his pound puppy.

I had a bike very similar to that one - with the banana seat and a white basket with flowers on it.

Here's a funny cabbage patch kid story - my nephew got one from his grandma (my mother-in-law) when he was 5. He ran into the other room crying because santa got him a girl toy. It took his dad about half an hour of telling him about his cabbage patch kid to get him to come out and open more gifts. After that it became his brother and went everywhere with him :)

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile
Heather ,WE would LOVE to see your pictures!! OH, I forgot about Pound Puppies, I love that we are triggering each other's memory about past Toys! My Holly had one of those! I am going to have to ask her what all she remembers, on Thursday, she lives 30 miles from us , So I don't get to see her much!

LOL! I love your nephew's Cabbage Patch Story! Bless his heart!! I have some more 70-80's pic to post.

I hear the Oven Timer, Got to get cornbread out and get another skillet in!
Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  2:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember those aluminum Christmas trees that had a rotating disk in front of the tree? The disk would shine different colors on the tree. My MIL had one for years. The family finally made her throw it away. Now every Christmas someone in the family will say something about the aluminum tree and we all start laughing. Wish I could find one again. I would put it up. We have our family Christmas at my house now. Wouldn't they be surprised.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  2:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Patsy, we had one of those, you can find them on Ebay and here where we live at the Goodwill store sometimes. I have my Mother-in-laws. I put it in my dinning room every year. I posted a picture of my granny's on The Thanksgiving memory forum, it explains the Wall behind the tree! LOL!! I will post it here again. Most of them were solid silver, then they got fancy with them adding the red and green Pom-Poms. My Granny gave this one to Goodwill in 1970's when she moved back to the farm. Oh, How I wish we had it!!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  3:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Well Connie :-) You got me searching high & low for pictures of my son from Christmas, I think I have them packed in his keepsake box, in the attic. I did however come across a picture of me with my Thumbelina doll. Sorry it's really blurry :-( We had one of those Aluminum trees, I did not like it one bit. I have a picture of me & my dog sitting in front of it.

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  3:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Here are Dawn Dolls. My what fun I had with these gals. Does anyone else remember them ?

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  3:51:17 PM  Show Profile
This is such a fun topic Connie :) Thanks!!!

Madeline, I had Dawn dolls too! I had Gloria (the redhead), Longlocks and Dawn. I actually had 2 Dawn dolls and then Jessica was introduced. I took it upon myself to give one of my Dawn dolls a haircut reasoning that Jessica looked just like Dawn but with short hair :) After that I had a scruffy Jessica doll :)

How about Rockflowers? They came with a 45 record? I had Heather and Lilac :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Nov 25 2013 4:10:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  4:34:55 PM  Show Profile
ooh I wish to have each and every one of the above catalogs in my hands to pour over!
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  8:17:56 PM  Show Profile
I've thought about this all day. I'm with you Sue- I wish we had the catalogs to look through and enjoy them as much today and the days gone by.

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  1:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Maddie!! that pic is precious!!! My holly had dawn. Thanks for sharing the pics! I can't wait to show her the dawn pics. Sears carried so much of their own brand, they didn't carry all the top toys of the year.
Sharon, I am so loving this too!!

Keep your eyes out for the catalogs, Ebay has some right now, they are staring around $70.00, but if you look in the Summer on Ebay, you can get it cheaper. Right now is a bad time to try and get a good deal on Ebay on anything Christmas. I bought some Halloween stuff in February that tripled in price by September! My hubby paid $40.00, in 1999 for that 1965 Sears catalog at a antique mall in mid-town Memphis. But I had a friend find one at a garage sale for $20.00!

Hugs! back to the kitchen for me!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  3:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh my God Connie! I can't believe you had Miss Peep too! I got my sweet Peep Christmas, 1966. I still have her, love her (so does hubby.. HAHA!). It is somewhat pathetic, as we have no children, and I honestly want Peep to go to someone who will appreciate her when I die. Sad, huh?
She has survived a Great Dane attack on her leg, and is still wearing an original Pamper (I used to buy her baby clothes)
She has lost a bit of her color over the years, and my sis called her "pasty", and I told her she better watch it.
Love my sweet Peep.
Here is a pic. She is well cared for.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  4:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Lisa!!!!!!!!!!! OH thank you for sharing your picture and memory of Miss peep!!!I can still remember how good she smelled when she was new!! I know exactly how you feel!! My Holly is not a pack Rat or collector like her mom! I hope she changes as she gets older! I have only 1 child, but when she outgrew her crib, I put Miss Peep in it!!! Since my granny loved dolls, there was always dolls sitting in rocking chairs and my granny kept one of my Aunt's dolls on her bed till she passed away in 2005. I only have 3 of my own dolls and they mean the world to me, we didn't get a lot of toys , so when I got a doll I ask for, I was in heaven!! hugs!! My Aunt Judy has about 6 of her dolls from childhood, because my granny stored them in her cedar chest for years. Wow!!! Miss Peep!!

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Miss Peep Rules!!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  5:46:06 PM  Show Profile
These aren't as old as some of your great dolls, but here's what I got from my childhood:

This is my cabbage patch doll. I think her name was Nelly, but I'm not sure.

My care bear and care bear cousins

My pound puppies and kitties

I'm not sure what this little dog is, but he was my favorite for a long time. He went on many "road trips" with me to Grandmas house

This is my Wrinkles dog. It's a puppet. My sister had one with a red dress.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  5:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Some homemade dolls from relatives

These two are my favorite dolls that were gifts the day I was born. I used to sleep with them every night. I don't know if they have names or not.

Another baby thing

This things called a wuzzle. I think this one was bumblelion. He has wings on the back.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  5:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember popples? They fold into a pouch on their back to make a ball.

Rainbow Bright and a couple Sprites

And these ugly things were everywhere when I was in high school. Even if you didn't have one you all have to remember these!!

I hope you all enjoy my treasures as much as I like seeing and hearing about yours. Hopefully someone remembers or had some of these things too.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  7:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh- those Trolls- my daughters had those things everywhere!! I am sure they are special to them, I wish they would have had the Christmas Catalogs to page thru like we did!!!

So, many great memories have been shared here...thanks so much!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2013 :  07:45:55 AM  Show Profile

Heather,

I have a troll...I am not sure where he is stored away...so glad you posted yours :-) :-) :-) love seeing all the old toys:-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2013 :  09:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Heather!!!!!! Oh Thank you for sharing! awwwwww My Holly will go nuts over all of these! Rainbow Brite!! and Baby beans! Trolls!!! I had those when I was little!!I had forgotten all about them!! Pound Purries!!! and puppies!! I"m so excited!!! awwwwwwwwwwww Holly is about 4 years older than you, so your toys would be very similar! Oh I love all theses pictures! I can't wait to show Holly Tomorrow! HUGS!! back to the kitchen for me, but I will come back tonight and go over each picture again!!! XOXOXXO
Lori , Judy, I was crazy about those trolls, We call them Wish-Niks in the 60's.
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  07:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, this just keeps bringing back more and more sweet memories! I love hearing about everyone's toys and favorite things from years gone by. I had two semi-truck stompers like the ones pictured in a catalog above. I used to build roads, bridges and tunnels for them in a dirt pile out in our backyard and played with them for hours on end until the gears wore out and they wouldn't go any longer. I had a few trolls too...in fact I just got another in a swap here a few weeks ago. Thanks again Connie for starting this conversation!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  7:59:07 PM  Show Profile
I found these pictures on a Vintage Doll Blog. I got this doll when I was about 7. It was a grocery store Doll. As soon as we got to Big Star I would go to the toy isle and go over every inch of this Doll! Since they were up high, My neck would be hurting from straining to look at it! LOL!! I lost all the clothes and accessories over the years, but still have the Doll, Holly played with her for a while.

Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Dec 05 2013 08:58:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5080 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5080 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  2:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I showed my Holly your pictures above, Thanksgiving, and she was just squealing about Rainbow Brite and the Trolls, Pound puppy and Purries and the Cabbage Patch dolls! her face jus lit up! Thanks again for sharing them with us!!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  3:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I don't remember anything specific but I can remember that catalogue shopping was just about the only way we did things. I grew up on a farm in a very rural area and there wasn't much available except by catalogue.
I'm still a catalogue shopper!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Your Favorite Christmas Catalog Memory Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page