Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 pregnant dog dumped- updated pics on page5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pregnant dog dumped- updated pics on page5 Next Topic
Page: of 4

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  9:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Looks like Daddy may have been a heeler/retriever? Gorgeous pups, and such an awesome thing you're doing :)

Shots aren't hard. If you have one of your kids hold them and distract them, tent and inject parallel to the body. Easy peasy :) You ordered DHPP, right?

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  05:50:37 AM  Show Profile
That is funny, Linda!!! I know next week will be tough, but believe me, I've done it and they don't remember a thing. They do whimper a bit (well, not all) because they're babies and they'll make you feel just terrible, but it's for their own good!

I wonder about momma--she might lose that "this is my last meal" syndrome after a time, but in the interim, you can train her to slow down a bit with a small, but heavy rock in the middle of her bowl (one large enough she can't eat, obviously. We did that at the shelter because often we'd have a starving dog who ate like she did and just continued to do so until they got sick and that's not great for them, either. The rock forces them to root around the food and take their time to find it. Of course, Darla could just be like one of the pitties we had from Hurricane Katrina who just couldn't get enough food and he ended up picking that rock right out of his bowl and went right on eating up a storm.

You're doing a wonderful job--and yes, that one you're holding with the ticking would be my pick, for sure. Such a beautiful, solid pup. Love that demeanor, too!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  06:57:59 AM  Show Profile
I've done the shots before. I just hate doing puppies because they always seem to wimper and make me feel bad and its been 18 years since I have done puppies. My big dogs are great at taking shots. I am not sure what DHPP is. I know I ordered shots that are a 5 way that the vet recommended for puppies. Its made just for puppies. I ordered 25 of them.

I'm not sure I am going to be keeping Darla. She won't quit chasing my cats. We are going to have her fixed and try to adopt her out. I really do like the dog but she really is making my 7 cats lives a living hell. I am working with a rescue center and will hopefully find a good home that doesn't have cats. Its really been an emotional ride with her and the pups. I keep going back and forth on what to do.
It makes me feel guilty to even think of adopting her out and the puppies. I feel like I have been on a roller coaster.I have cried the past few days. Its hard to know what to do. I already have so many animals that its hard to keep up on. But my heart wants to save the world when it comes to animals. I will pray on this and wait to see which way the lord leads me.

Well gotta run I need to go into town while my son is here to watch the puppies to get more bags of dog food and puppy food.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 19 2012 06:59:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile
I will be praying with you to find a way to keep Darla. More pictures, please. Those puppies are so cute.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  08:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh goodness about Darla and the cats! I wonder if she's ever been around them before. Are any of your cats the type to smack her in the face? Because, honestly, that's the best thing that can happen. We've had several dogs that we fostered who thought the cats were toys, but once we let the cat smack back, it was over. They never bothered them again. Now, if she's menacing, and trying to kill the cats, that's a different story.

I sent you an email, Linda, about one of the pups--a friend of mine in Maryland saw their pics on my FB page and might be seriously interested. Let me know how you're proceeding with all this and yes, it can be a struggle to come to terms with adopting them out but believe this--none of them would be here if you hadn't taken such good care of Darla. You are their savior and the best thing you can do is place them in loving, forever homes. However you do that is your decision!

Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  08:35:54 AM  Show Profile
If I had to guess, I'd say Daddy is a Lab! If I lived near you, and didn't already have 4 dogs, one would come home with me.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  3:56:30 PM  Show Profile
OMG!!!! They are soooo sweet..If I didnt live so far I would get 1...

Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  7:57:34 PM  Show Profile
One word......Adorable! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  12:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I've read your post several times and finally I'm responding. How did this dog realize you would be the BEST person in the world and would take her in. She must have had an angel leading her. Blessings dear one. You will be rewarded! Jan
quote:
Originally posted by wooliespinner

We had a dog that had traveled many miles after being dumped. she showed up at our house 23 days ago. She looks to be an English setter and was severely emaciated and dehydrated....she was lucky to weigh 35 lbs. She could hardly hold her head up. We knew she was pregnant but didn't know when to expect babies.She showed up late Sunday night.We fed her good food and water and made her a bed and hoped she would make it through the night. The next day we bathed her and pulled over 120 ticks and killed thousands of fleas. She was full of sores.After going to the vet we frontlined her to keep off any new fleas and ticks.After she has her pups the vet said I could worm her safely.

The Birth. We were not set up or ready for pups and wondered if she could even have them in the condition she was in.We build a pen and 33 hours of showing up I helped her deliver 11 pups They looked pretty healthy considering.All that was left when she had the pups was the skinniest dog I have ever seen in my life. She looked like a spine and ribcage. Its was horrible. She in no way has enough milk so I am mixing puppy replacer and goat milk and bottling them 3 times a day. They are doing great and the mom is improving and she is a super good mama. I have to say I am super tired and they have kept me busy with bottling, laundry and cleaning up after them.I was so stressed out for the first week because I thought I would lose the mom or the pups or even all of them. They are 3 weeks old today and are quite fat little pups. I am working on finding good homes for them.
There are 8 girls and 3 boys.

The mama who I am fondly calling Darla now has a shiny coat and the sores have healed up.She still has a ways to go on gaining more weight. She eats more food than my other 3 big dogs combined. Her favorite goodie on her food is scrambled eggs and cooked burger. I am feeding her as much as she wants. She is a really good natured sweet dog. After she has dried up and done nursing I am going to have her spayed. I went from 3 dogs to 12 new ones in less than 33 hours. Life is crazy sometimes.

Anyway just wanted to share with everyone. I have been so tied up with them and my other farm animals and dealing with this horrible drought we have been in I have not had time to post.

Update:Nubiedane(Lisa) posted pictures for me on page #2. I didn't know how to make it work. Thanks so much Lisa!

Take care

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile
This morning the pups are 6 weeks old and some of them weigh around 9 lbs or a little more. As of this morning 1 boy and 2 girls will be going to new homes this weekend or next. I have 2 boys and 6 girls to go. They sure are a roundy bunch when I get in with them. Its hard to play with 11 pups when you only have 2 hands. While I play with 2 at a time the other 9 are chewing my shoes, ankles, bottom and anything else they can get. After about 10 minutes they settle down and its easier to pet them. They just get so darn excited when I go in. They sure are beautiful pups. Moma is still eating like a hoover sweeper but thats okay she is slowly putting on a little weight. She needs it.She follows my like a shadow.She is a sweet dog.
Well gotta get we are actually getting a little rain. We have been in a bad drought I hope it rains a little while my pasture is a tinder box.I need to put the pups food in their house so it doesn't get wet and ichy.

Janis I just heard from a few of the neighbors that she had wandered that stretch of road for several days and not one person on that road offered to feed or water her. Instead they all ran her off and one of their dogs had bit her in the tail. I didn't say much to them cause I didn't want to start anything but that really is sad she wandered so long with no help. No wonder she was so tired and hungry I don't know how she did it in that heat. It was a miracle she made it to us.But she is good now and doesn't have to worry ever again.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 24 2012 08:19:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  08:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda, sent you a message from yahoo.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Well I didn't get the shots done until today. I wanted to give them yesterday but I received a call and my sons wife went into labor it was our first grandbaby and it was a girl. So today I gave the shots and it went great. I used 22 gage needles and they didn't even know that I gave them the shot. They were too busy licking and chewing my pants. I have 7 more pups that need homes.Hopefully I can place most of them before turning the rest over to the rescue. I know I will cry when they go.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  09:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, grandbabies are pretty darn important!!!! You've got babies comin' out your ears! Congratulations!

Yeah, with what those pups weigh, I bet they didn't feel a thing :) You've done so well!!!! I'll look the rescue up online when I get a second. At least the vetting will be done by them for prospective adopters and you won't have to worry yourself over whether they're going to a good home or no. I'd be NUTSO. I only wish we had the room--4 dogs, a toddler, a husband who devotes a whole room to model airplanes, there's hardly any room for me at this point!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  09:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonni I just posted pictures on the thread family matters. I do have babies coming out of my ears. Its been crazy.
I don't know if the rescue is online or not. I never checked. But they won't have any of the pup pictures or info on my pups there yet. They won't post anything until I turn what I have left over to them. That probably won't be for 2 weeks. Did you get my email I sent to you.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 25 2012 09:55:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  2:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations- babies babies babies- all too wonderful!!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  8:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations of the new granddaughter. I'm so happy some of the puppies found homes. I'll continue to pray that they all find a good forever home.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  1:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda.Those puppies are adorable! And they are so big. The one you're holding looks like my Bubba when he was little. I so hope they all find wonderful new homes when the time comes.

And congratulations on your new grand baby!! Do they live close?

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 26 2012 1:57:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  3:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Big howdy to you Kristin,

Daniel and Katie live about 35 or so minutes from us. They are just about home from the hospital. They called me and said they were stuck in traffic because of the storm knocking out the traffic lights. I hope the baby handles the long ride.

The pups are a little over 6 weeks old and really big. Some of them weigh around 10lbs. now. They are eating me out of house and home.I have found homes for 3 of the pups so far and maybe a couple more. I am waiting back from a few people if they are going to come out or not. I don't know what the father of these pups are but they sure are beautiful pups.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 26 2012 3:05:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  8:25:45 PM  Show Profile
I had 4 pups leave today and another one is leaving tomorrow.Next Friday another ones leaves. I cried when they left. I know they went to excellent homes but my heart ached for them. I feel like I was giving my children away. I pray they do okay their first night away from home. I feel like such a crybaby. Well anyway had to share.I thank God he sent people to me that gave them really good homes.I am truly blessed for sure.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  08:26:23 AM  Show Profile
Linda, you've done a wonderful thing. I'm so happy the puppies have found a home.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  4:28:45 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I am so glad you are finding such great homes for the puppies! You have done a wonderful job with them and the momma and these pups are going to bless the lives of their new people so much because of what you've done. You still have a lot to go!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  4:56:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Linda - I just found this and read the whole thing. What a roller coaster ride you have been on - and for me - and everyone else reading this too. First came the outrage and frustration with the actions of some truly unbelievably inconsiderate people. Then the compassion for Darla. Then joy and amazement for the 11 puppies. But through all this was admiration for you. If there were more people like you, this world would be in better shape. Thank you for doing what you do. Peace be with you and yours. And congratulations on the new granddaughter!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  8:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
What beautiful pups, bless you and your efforts, wish I lived closer, I'd love one... I'm a sucker for dogs and mistreated animals.
Toni
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  08:34:55 AM  Show Profile
Here is what some of the puppies look like at 61/2 weeks old. I have 2 leaving this friday and maybe another on sunday. That will leave me a total of 4. Everyone so far that has taken a pup really loves their pup. Makes it a little easier on my heart.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  8:05:05 PM  Show Profile
They surely have grown!!!! So, so cute!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing their sweet little faces with us.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic pregnant dog dumped- updated pics on page5 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page