Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Work on Gratitude badge together...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Work on Gratitude badge together... Next Topic
Page: of 8

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  11:02:41 AM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful that my student "got it" today. This group of reluctant 9th grade readers sat and discussed a book on their own. They asked questions of each other and responded in kind. Literature Circles actually working for once? AWESOME!

Today's read: Tripping and realizing no one saw you

This one made me laugh. My ankles are forever giving out on me with no warning, and I had to force myself over time to stop doing that subconscious look over my shoulder: "Oh, is there something on the floor?" You know the one I mean? Not to check to see if anyone saw, because you *know* they did. This is the "pretend it wasn't my own lack of coordination that caused the stumble, because obviously I'm an adult and tripping is for babies and oh darn, there *isn't* a crack in the sidewalk" look.

Farmgirl Sister #3754
www.facebook.com/bellcountybelles
http://bellcountybelle.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/bluemonarch/
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  5:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Today I am grateful for my boss. He is a very nice man!

Today's read: Sock matching up from the dryer. Ahhh well, win some, lose some in that regard right?

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  11:08:02 PM  Show Profile
todays read; when the socks in the dryer match up perfectly!

Today I'm grateful the library is back in our neighborhood, and I can run
in for a book on my way to work!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  02:09:01 AM  Show Profile
I am grateful for my sister. She is my best friend.

Today's read: The smell of crayons

Crack open a fresh box and get ready for a neuron-splattering head rush. AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (p. 66). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 17 2012 02:09:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  05:08:31 AM  Show Profile
Today I am thankful for my husband having a long weekend which starts today. He works very hard and his commute is getting to him - so its especially nice for him (and me) when he can stay home and not have that drive. Fortunately, he loves his job and if it weren't for the commute, he wouldn't think of retiring in a couple years - but he's giving it some thought. Anyway, I'm glad he's got an extra long weekend.

Today's read is the smell of crayons. That's a good one.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  05:14:06 AM  Show Profile
Did I previously mention grateful for rain. Still raining in the Rio Grande Valley. One year we came down here and they told us not one drop of rain for the entire year. Still grateful for rain.
But today, I need to repost again...

Grateful for burping.. Okay, stop laughing. Must have eaten stuff that didn't like me Valentines day and I have been enjoying gas pains ever since. Slept almost round the clock on Wednesday - figured rest was restorative; barely eating). But burping, glorious burping is appreciated. LOL!

Grateful for music. Attended Ladies luncheon - first meal since Valentines day - and we listened to "oldies" sung by Diego, a young gentleman in the Valley. He was sooo cute and sooo good. Loved the wo ladies who were almost 80 doing some VERY SERIOUS AND VERY ACTIVE Jitterbugging!!

Enjoyed the french fries book entry. French Fries love it when we share them ! yummm

Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  09:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful that my stepson's play was PHENOMENAL last night!!! His HS bravely attempted Les Miserables. I have to say, even though I know they have a talented group of kids this year, I was a little skeptical. This show is extremely difficult to pull off. But they did it! WOW, I was blown away!! We're going to see it again tonight. www.thespiansr.us

Today's Read: Taking your bra off after wearing it for hours

I have no words to add to this. This truly is awesome!!!

Farmgirl Sister #3754
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  6:12:18 PM  Show Profile
I am grateful for Cabernet! Sometime a good red wine is just what I need at the end of a long week.

Today's read: New crayons. Mmmmmm. Even a not so new box can smell good!!!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  9:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful to be able to join in, once in awhile, and order in at work. Tonight we ordered
Philly cheasesteak sandwiches! For many years money was just too tight to splurg.
Todays read; new crayons!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  05:42:40 AM  Show Profile
I am grateful for my not cat. We call her my 'not cat' for two reasons #1 because she started out not our cat and read on for #2. When we lived in town she was our neighbor's but she stayed at our house most of the time. One morning I was running late ran out to the truck, started the engine and heard a horrible clunk. I thought the engine had fallen out of the truck. I quickly turned off the key and lifted the hood to see what was going on. I was mortified. There was a limp cat mangled in the fan. I could not get it out. I realized it was the neighbor's cat. My husband came out to help and notifiy the neighbor. The cat was still breathing but could not tell the damage. After about 20 minutes we got her out. She had a huge gash and goose egg knot on her forehead but that was it. We figured when the fan kicked on it hit her in the head and knocked her out. I was holding her when she woke up. Of course she was stunned and went bizzerk when she woke up and ran off. But after that I could not get her away from me. When we moved I was heart broken to leave her. After about 3 days my husband went back to the old house and explained to the neighbor how much I missed her. He told my husband that he thought we had taken her because he had not seen her since we moved. He said if we found her she was ours. I drove back over the next day, stepped out of the truck and she came running. We have been best buddies since.

Today's read: Peeling an orange in one shot

It ain’t easy, but when you finally succeed in peeling an orange into only one big, swirly peel, it can be one of the greatest fruit-eating experiences of your life. Here’s how to make the magic happen: 1. Pick a winner. No two oranges are created equal, so it’s important to inspect your fruit before you pick it. Smart money says grab a juicy one that’s been ripe for a day or two and has plenty of loose, saggy peel hanging around just begging for a big thumb puncture right in the gut. If you have trouble, just remember this handy line: To get that peel off, pick one that’s soft. Word to your sister. 2. Roll it out (optional). Some people like to roll their orange around on the counter a bit just to make doubly sure that the peel is primed and ready to go. This is the equivalent of sending the orange out to the bullpen to warm up. A side benefit is that your orange becomes extra juicy. 3. The thumb puncture. This is the most critical move, so let’s break it down. First, make sure you do actually use your thumb to perform the puncture, not the questionable four-fingers-scratching-the-blackboard technique. People who go the four-finger route are doomed to get peel scraps flying everywhere, so don’t do it. Now, when you have your game face ready, aim for one of the flabby peel rolls right near the top or bottom of the orange. No matter what, do not stab right in the middle of the fruit, because that’s the thinnest part of the peel and you’ll walk away a humiliated, pulpy mess. 4. Long, slow burn. Once you’re in, it’s time to slowly, majestically carve out a big peel strip around and around and around the orange. Be careful not to create any peel islands, those little chunks of peel just hanging out in the middle of a freshly peeled area. Also, don’t peel too thick a strip (inaccurate and unpredictable) and don’t peel too thin a strip (could snap off). Just relax and it will come with practice. If you seem to be losing your momentum or getting stressed out, put the orange down, shake your hands out, take some deep breaths, and regroup. 5. Show and tell. Did you nail it? Did you finish it off good? If so, congratulations, you’re now holding a freshly shorn orange in one hand and a limp n’ long, snakelike strip of peel in the other. You have to finish by showing this to at least one person and saying “Hey, check it out!” Maybe hang it right in their face if they don’t seem impressed at first. They should come around and at least flash you a terse thumbs-up or a sarcastic eyebrow raise. Yes, peeling an orange in one shot is a terrific accomplishment. It’s one of the best fruit openings out there, easily trumping the watermelon split, pineapple top lop, or coconut crack. AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (pp. 67-69). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 18 2012 05:43:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  06:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Awwwwww... Victoria - I love your "not cat" story. I had a vet once that had a office cat called "Fanbelt" and he had 3 legs. Someone brought him in after he got cut up in the motor - but then they didn't want to pay and never came back for him. So they kept him. He was a great cat...

Also Victoria, I completely "get" your gratitude for your afternoon tea break you mentioned a couple days ago. Isn't it wonderful to just take a short break with a good cup of tea.... Life is good.

Today I am grateful for my customers. As you know, I own a small tea business, and all is well, but its been pretty slow going (hence, I still work my "old" job and my husband hasn't taken early retirement) - however, I have the best customers EVER. I started my business in 2007, and some of them have been buying tea from since the beginning - and I've moved locations a couple times too. One recently moved out of state and she contacted me to ask me to send her tea - it was so nice to hear from her, not to mention that she said she didn't want to buy tea from anyone else... They are such wonderful tea-loving people - all ages, and not just women. I've also been able to "convert" a few because they never had "good" tea and that always makes me feel like I'ver really done a good deed and helped someone - because tea is more than just a beverage... Anyway, I'm going to the shop today - its a special downtown event - I've made scones, and I'm hopeful I'll get to visit with some of my customers. I'm not at the shop very often, especially lately and I miss seeing them...

Today's reading - peeling an orange in one piece. I have never done that but its always nice when the skin comes off easily and you don't have to spend such a long time peeling it. I love to eat oranges while I drink tea. :o)

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Love the story about your teas! I once worked at a "British highlands tea room" years ago. I loved all the delicate china cups and tea pots! We even served authentic "bangers and mash".

Best part about drinking tea is the restorative nature of the process, the herbal teas, and sharing tea with a friend.

Today I am grateful for people who share their time. Two very busy ladies took the time to teach me how to bind a quilt properly. Sharing time with someone is one of the valuable things we can do

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  2:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to talk about the readings. This happens so often
n because I get so involved in writing I "just forget". Been this way my whole life- my poor Mom!
Read the socks and crayons - socks hate other socks- that's why they don't take well to matchmaking.
Smelling crayons brings deep visceral memories: that first inner knowledge of one's artistic genius, parents' reinforcing that sense of genius, and the knowing that the next scribbled drawing will just as wonderful! It's amazing -- My grand children are great artistic geniuses too!

Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  3:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful that I found out I'm going to have a baby!!!!!

Today's read: The sound of scissors cutting construction paper
I can't wait to make artful/messy memories. :-)

Farmgirl Sister #3754
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  7:00:27 PM  Show Profile
I am grateful for a sense of humor!

Today's reading: Peeling an orange in one shot. I can never do it!!! My co-worker almost did on Friday.

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  7:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I almost forgot, congrats Sharon!!!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  7:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kim! :-D

Farmgirl Sister #3754
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  12:47:09 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful Sharon!

I'm grateful for my pregnancy's, I loved being pregnant.

Todays read; peeling an orange in one piece, I've never done that but maybe I'll try it someday.
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  05:57:47 AM  Show Profile
Congrats, Sharon!

I am grateful for sunny days. It has been gray, gloomy and raining for a couple of weeks. We need the rain but sunny days sure make you feel better. This morning the sunny is out full force. Its still cool outside but its beautiful.

Today's read: When the vending machine gives you two things instead of one

First you spot the Teetering Treat. It’s the candy bar hanging onto the metal spirals for dear life, just sitting there after giving the last customer the ol’ For Sale Fail and teasing him instead of delivering the goods. And instead of spending another dollar to test his luck, he decided to walk away. Hey, we’ve all been there too, so now it’s time for some good old-fashioned Vending Machine Karma, also known as Chocolate Justice. So just drop your money in, push the buttons, and listen for that sweet thump-thump of two treats dropping into the Sugar Basin at once. Now push back the awkwardly heavy door and swipe a paw in there to scoop up your treasures. Kiss the vending machine plastic window, hold your nougat-filled plunder up to the sky, and then flee the scene. It’s snacking time. Yes, that free treat is great because now’s your chance to play Santa on an unsuspecting coworker or classmate. Got someone who could use a caramel fix? Of course you do. So share the wealth and give yourself a break together. It’s Christmas again. Also, no matter how much you try, you can’t return the free snack. No, there’s no wedging your hand up there and throwing it back into its Metal Spiral Jail Cell. So ditch the guilt and smile back at the Gods of Snacking, for they have smiled down upon you. And let me tell you something else: You deserve it. AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (pp. 74-75). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 19 2012 05:58:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Sharon! How exciting...

Today I am thankful for meeting a new, local farmgirl in person. She contacted me via email and we talked on the phone - but yesterday I was able to meet Marcia for the first time. It was like meeing a long lost friend - just like it would be to meet all of you. The connection is so amazing.

Today's read is getting two things from the vending machine. Always nice to get a bonus snack. It reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon where the snake is in front of a vending machine with rats and he gets two rats. I can't remember what he says, but I love it.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  06:37:52 AM  Show Profile
I am grateful for the help we received yesterday from Rita. We are putting Mom (my MIL)into an assisted living complex as soon as she can be transferred from the hospital. Rita had knowledge because she works there, but also because she has a loved one there as well. It's been a difficult decision, but especially for my husband. Men want to be able to "fix" things and he can't fix dementia.

Today's read: Getting two things from the vending machine. Win! We had vending machines at a former work place, that randomly gave free coffees!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  11:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Sharon how wonderful!!! A new farmgirl maybe??? So happy for you!

Todays reading: Cool sheets (and cool pillowcases) plus a warm quilt - perfect.

Today I am grateful for big fluffy white buttermilk biscuits (smothered in white sausage gravy. of course!!) Did I mention I had a great breakfast??
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile
todays read; getting two from the vending machine, yeah!

Today I'm grateful for old photo albums! My sisters birthday is coming up and I want to
make her a card with an old photo I took on it. It took awhile but I did find it and alot
of memories also!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  03:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Today's read Orange peeling - a real. Skill!

I am grateful for my husband's personality. On Valentines Day I give Him a card and candy for us to share & he gives me a V card and a stuffed Froggie. I put the new frog on the "frog shelf" over top of the TV. I looked up at the frogs the other day noting the soppy grins on their faces. "They look happy", I declared. DH looked up and considered them and in all seriousness declared: "You're right. They do". I love that he takes our silliness seriously! LOL
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  04:53:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm grateful for Weight Watchers. I have tried every diet out there with little or no results or I gained everything back plus in just a few days. Today is my weigh in and I have lost another pound. That's 36 lbs total since August and I have been able to make a life change not just be on a diet.

Today's read: Licking the batter off the beaters of a cake mixer

You can’t do it without getting batter all over your face, because there’s that hard-to-reach place in the middle of the beater. Your tongue isn’t going to reach, and leaving it un-licked isn’t an option. So get in there, get sticky, and get AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (p. 76). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

This is still my favorite part of baking a cake!

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 20 2012 04:54:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Work on Gratitude badge together... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page