Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Work on Gratitude badge together...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Work on Gratitude badge together... Next Topic
Page: of 8

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  06:24:51 AM  Show Profile
Today I am thankful for some recent events about dogs with happy endings. First, my daughter called me yesterday morning to tell me that she saw her friend, who lives close to her, while she was walking her dog. Her friend was very upset - it seems a coyote had taken her dog (a yorkie) from her yard - she chased it but it got away from her. She was terribly upset, but still telling everyone she saw to be on the lookout for her dog. Well, someone found him - unharmed - and brought him home... Then on the Barnyard Buddies category, a farmgirl wrote this amazing story about an old dog that was found and brought to the animal shelter where her DH is the director. I guess the dog was in bad shape and very old, but they comforted him and kept him past the time when he should be euthanized. And then, the owners called to say they lost an old dog and came to pick him up. The farmgirl's DH had to help them pay the fees but the old dog left with his family. Isn't it wonderful when you hear about happy endings?... And to know there are people like the farmgirl and her DH doing what they can to protect animals - well, it just restores your faith in humanity... Oh happy day.

Today's reading is waiting elevator. What a treat! Love it.

Have a great day everyone... And give your canine companions a special hug today.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  10:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Mary, the classes sound like just what I was hoping for! I probably can't go this summer, but my fingers are crossed! It would be so fun to end up in the same class. :-)

Lorraine, I love your dog stories. So nice to have happy ending like that. Thanks for sharing.

Today, I'm grateful for the Lost Property Office cutting me a check! Things are extremely hard right now financially for many reasons, and to cap it off, I'm getting docked nearly $400 on my February paycheck for being out 1.5 days over my sick leave. Fibromyalgia is just a blast, let me tell ya. I also had a "fibro fog" moment and accidentally paid a credit card bill TWICE. Of course they won't refund one of them, so let's just this month and next were going to be really darn bad. Lo and behold finally being told this nice, fat check is in the mail! I would love to have done something a little more fun with that money, but I am so grateful it's coming during a month of such great need.

Today's Read: Picking the perfect nacho off someone else’s plate

Now I'm starving. For nachos. Drat it all! I just have a banana at my desk today. I love a nacho piled with guacamole, a teensy bit of sour cream and at least two jalapeno slices. Cheese is a given, of course. I'm a little shy with the plate-grabbing, so I'd probaby be that overly-polite gal who takes a semi-dry chip. I wholeheartedly agree that there is nothing as pointless and unappetizing as shredded iceberg lettuce on a nacho. And does anyone eat the "salad" that comes next to the enchiladas? A real salad I'd eat, but shredded iceberg and cubed, flavorless tomatoes? Pah

Farmgirl Sister #3754
www.facebook.com/bellcountybelles
http://bellcountybelle.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/bluemonarch/
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  5:39:54 PM  Show Profile
I agree Victoria, I too am grateful for text messaging. Sometimes, it helps when you need to get something across in a hurry!

We have an elevator at work for 2 floors. You'd think it would move faster some days. I hate them. I got stuck in one and that was the day I found out I was a bit claustraphobic!! lol!

Forever farmgirl

http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://throughethelseyes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

brevardorganics
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Elizabeth
Brevard NC
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  7:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh this is perfect fit for me to start. Very excited about getting started. I listened outloud. I am grateful for my husband. He loves me, knowing I have baggage and willing to help me unpack. I couldn't be happier right now!

Going Back to Basics is easier than you think!
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  9:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Victoria,
I was unable to post yesturday, can I continue?
While sitting in the dental chair I was grateful I am finally able to get some work done.
Yesturdays read, toilet paper.t

Today I'm grateful my son has found a nice girlfriend, they had us over for dinner last night,
and she's a good cook too!
Todays read: bad electronics, smack
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  10:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Kim, so sorry for your loss.
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  02:32:39 AM  Show Profile
I am greatful for mental counting to 10. Can't go into it because I am running late for work but I had an altercation with a fellow worker. I had to do a quick mental count to 10 to keep myself from knocking his head off. Glad I did. I can walk away with my head up and my job intact. He looks like a fool.

Today's read: Bakery air

Bakery air is that steaming hot front of thick, buttery fumes waiting for you just inside the door of a bakery. And I am just going to tell you straight up: That is some fine air. Bakery air immediately fills you up with the sickly sweet smell of rising cupcakes, crisping croissants, and the distinct aroma of globby oatmeal turning into a delicious tray of sugary-brown cookies. It’s a powerful and intoxicating smell that rivals some of the best smells out there: late night summer barbecue, new car smell, gasoline, fresh baby, or even, dare I say it, campfire in the woods. Yes, I went there. Now, is it just me, or do you ever feel sorry for the people working in the bakery? You know, because they might just get used to the smell and stop enjoying those hot bakery whiffs all the time? I really hope it’s not like that. I really hope working in a bakery never turns into a regular job full of early mornings, oven-scorched eyebrows, varicose veins, and floury underwear. No, bakery air is just too good for that. It can’t become another day at the office, it just can't. So let’s make sure we all enjoy it. Catch some of those sugary vapors next time you’re running past a cinnamon bun place at the train station. Suck back a noseful of hot fumes when you walk the dog by an open bakery door on Saturday morning. And make sure when you stop to smell the roses, you stop to smell the croissants and cookies too. AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (p. 49). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 09 2012 02:33:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  05:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Today I am thankful for potluck dinners. We are going to our annual potluck dinner for our local Audubon group. We always have a great time, enjoy our friends, and all the food. You never know what is going to be there, but you always know its going to be good. Mmmmmmm.... Can't wait. I'm taking spinach lasagne...

Today's read - Bakery air. It is a treat and a half...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  1:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful for belly laughs. One of my students today got the giggles over a silly joke a friend told him. Here is this 15 yo boy trying to stifle this high-pitched giggle! I tried to stay serious, but we all just had to join in. What a nice way to end the school day. :-)

Today's read: The moment at a concert after the lights go out and before the band comes onstage

I was 10. My first concert. This moment took my breath away! Squeal!!!! Little Joe! NKOTB! Oh, it was glorious! :-)

Farmgirl Sister #3754
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

brevardorganics
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Elizabeth
Brevard NC
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  2:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Todays Read - Bakery Air! What a delight!

Today I am grateful for my 8 yo sons teacher! he came home today and said Ms Jordan said I'm a good.....ummmm some kind of model for the class! This made me chuckle....I said Role Model....YES YES...that's what it was....what does that mean? I started to tell him how I try to be a good Role model for him and he jumps up and says....I KNOW I KNOW....Making GOOD choices...not bad ones...but if you make a bad one...maybe by accident that you tell about it so people know you are human! GOTTA LOVE HIS SPIRIT!!!! THAT teacher made my day and she doesn't even know it! Think a card needs to be sent!!

Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  5:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Debbie!

I am grateful for headphones! I have an annoying (to me) co-worker and I am so grateful I can block out her drama at work, with music.

Today's read: Bakery smells. What a happy scent. However, my favorite smell is "puppy breath" lol! Before they have had a chance to get regular old doggy breath, puppy breath smells good!!

Forever farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Todays read: bakery air, gotta love floury underwear!
I'm grateful for some quiet time to try out new crafting ideas!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  02:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies. Lordie, it has been a rough couple of days at work. I'm actually sort of glad I just got put on call for today. Which basically means they have patients coming in later and the hospital wants to save a few bucks. I'm sure they will call about 8:00 in a panic, 'we need you here now'. And they know I live an hour away. Everytime they do that I just giggle and say "ok see you in about an hour" It's been the same for 5 years. I just get a minimal hourly allowance for being on call but today I am ok with that. A couple of days ago I mentioned an altercation with a co-worker. I can not go into detail but I will tell you I was physically and verbally assaulted by one of the doctors. It was very aggressive. I stood up for myself and he backed down. I was not injured but only because I was able to get away from him. Ended up having to file charges. Anyways, afterwards I found out that he had done this to other nurses but they were afraid to report it. Ladies you do not have to tolerate anyone treating you in a manner that you do not wish to be treated. I'm not sure if I am more mad at the doctor or the nurses that came before me. Had they put their foot down and said NO you will not do this I might not of had to go through that. Just food for thought...stand up for yourself. In the Betty Ford spirit "Just say NO!"

I’m grateful for, Pud, my coonhound. She is a rescue friend. I got her at the animal shelter on a cold rainy April day about 7 years ago. She had been thrown out of a moving truck. She’s getting old now but still tries to keep up. She goes on my ‘gotta lose these extra pounds’ walks. She bounces along on our daily critter feeding tour, which includes the poultry that she is responsible for watching. She loves the cow’s grain and expect a handful when feeding Macy. But what gets me every time is when she get so excited and meets me at the car when I come home. It doesn’t matter if I just ran to the store and was gone only a couple of hours or if I have been away my usual 16 hours when I go to work. It’s like she is saying “I really missed you, mom.” It is such a good feeling to know that something loves you so unconditionally.

Today's read: Tripping and realizing no one saw you

Babies take a while to walk. If you’ve seen it happen, you know there is plenty of falling, crawling, and bawling. Hey, there’s a reason most two-year-olds are covered in fat lips, skinned knees, and coffee-table-dented foreheads. Learning to walk ain’t easy. Sure, you did it and I did it but we probably couldn’t do it again. Like learning anything tough and life-altering, learning to walk is a messy process that takes time and patience. First, there is rolling. That cute little baby-powder ball of flabby arms and puffy diapers twists and shimmies on the cold linoleum with a big smile on her face. This marks a major step as baby is learning to move on her own. Don’t laugh because you were once a flabby, wiggling diaper ball too. Once that’s nailed, it’s time to sit up and start crawling. This turns the house into a carpeted jungle full of discovery and adventure. Curiosity helps little ones discover pantry shelves, cat litter trays, and toilets. Some people have an adorable Crab Baby at this stage, also known as a one-year-old who crawls backward or sideways instead of forward. Watch out for pinchy claws grabbing at your hair and glasses. Next up: teetering! White-knuckled, apricot-sized hands grip staircase railings and kitchen table legs with furrowed brows and steely determination. The side benefit of diapers comes into play here, as handy ass-padding for the vast number of harrowing, thunderous falls. Eventually, with immense focus and concentration, most of them manage to find their center of gravity and balance the baby chub on their two teeny-tiny tootsies. After this point, it’s just a matter of time. There’s some nervous balancing without the railing and then lopsided running with occasional face-plants in the front hallway. But soon baby nails it, and after that she’s probably flying pretty high. Unfortunately, the bad news is that practice doesn’t always make perfect. Even though we’ve been mastering the art of standing tall for years and years and years, everyone slips and falls now and then. Just ask your local small-claims court. So next time your shoe catches on the top step at work, you trip stepping off the airport’s moving sidewalk, or you bail on a patch of ice outside your front door, remember that not too long ago you couldn’t walk at all. So your wipeout is really no big deal. As long as nobody saw you. AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (pp. 50-51). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

I love this one. I wear Crocs. I love them but they do stick to the floor sometimes.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 10 2012 02:49:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

brevardorganics
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Elizabeth
Brevard NC
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  05:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Todays read: Tripping and realizing no one saw you

First of all - Victoria I am glad that you are okay and that something was done. Boundaries need to be set - why are we are some point in our life so afraid to set a boundary.

I am grateful for the peace and excitement - yes at the same time - I have the day before I do my practical testing for kickboxing. This will mean I can instruct and on that note - no excuses for missing a day of working out...lol

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  05:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Victoria - first I want to echo Elizabeth's words... I'm so glad you're ok. But good grief, what a horrible experience... I'm proud of you for filing charges against him. Sometimes I think their egos get the best of them - but yes, those boundaries are important...

Also, Victoria - my dogs are rescues too, and I love them to pieces. One of the things I love about them besides being glad to see me when I get home, is every morning they're so happy and eager to start a new day. It makes me more optimistic and happy too... Gotta love 'em...

Today I am thankful for getting together with old friends. Last night we went to the Audubon Potluck and saw lots of friends we don't see very often. We had a great time. Today, I am meeting my best friend from HS. We keep in touch but rarely "see" each other - last time we got together was 2 years ago. We're very different - kind of country mouse, city mouse situations - but it doesn't matter - we're as close as two peas in a pod - and regardless of how long its been we've seen each other, we click like no time has passed at all. So happy to see her again... My how time flies...

Today's read is tripping and realizing no one saw you. I really "get" that one too. My DH and I were just talking about that - he tripped going into his work and was so relieved that no one saw him. LOL...

Have a great day everyone.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful that hubby is taking me out to eat tonight! Don't know where we're going, but I don't have lunch today and am STARVING! Can't wait!! :-)

Today's read: Finding out your birthday is on a Friday or Saturday next year

I love when this happens. :-) I don't have birthday parties very often, but it's still lovely not to have to worry about getting up early on your birthday or the day after. No school, no work? Lovely!

Farmgirl Sister #3754
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  5:20:22 PM  Show Profile
LOLOL! I remember slipping at work one time and grabbing onto a clothing rack in my old retail days, oh my gosh! NO one was around, whew. But boy I contorted my body into all kinds of shapes to keep from falling!!

I am grateful for the impromptu smiley face on the bathroom mirror this morning. If the mirrors steam up and there are spot, I usually take a towel and make a quick swipe. Well, from that quick swipe earlier in the week, when the mirror steamed up this morning, there was a rough smiley face. I should have taken a photo. You could definitely tell wasn't made by a finger.

Forever farmgirl
Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  11:57:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm grateful for the new picture of the Bahamas in our office, beautiful!
Debbie

Todays read; tripping. Babies are so cute when they fall back on
there padded little butts and get that surprised look on there faces!

Edited by - debbies journey on Feb 11 2012 1:19:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  02:23:13 AM  Show Profile
I’m grateful for my son. He is my only child. God knew that I needed a perfect child and that is exactly what he gave me. Ya’ll believe that don’t you. That boy truly is wonderful but he does have his moments. Like yesterday morning as I was rushing around to get to out of the house on time and I see his two black labs running full speed up my drive. Zak’s dogs are as dumb as they come. They are not allowed to come up to the house anymore because they chase my chickens. They don’t kill them, just run them ragged. Sure enough I had just let the chickens out and the dogs were headed straight for them. Of course, I’m immediately on the phone telling Zak to “get up here and get his dogs now or I was going to shoot them”. He gets the dogs but had the nerve to say and I quote “I’m sorry mom. It’s my fault. I let them out of the pen to run for a bit but I got distracted.” OK, #1- yes it was his fault no one is disputing that and #2- I consider crawling back into bed a bit more than a distraction. I’m sure he was being serious but honestly I had a good laugh out of it because of his seriousness. “I got distracted”… Your kids, you gotta love ‘em because everybody knows you produced them. He really is a good young man and I am very proud of him.

Today's read: Universal Fry-Sharing Policy

The Universal Fry-Sharing Policy states that if you are eating a meal with someone who ordered fries, and you didn’t order fries, you’re entitled to grab one of their fries as it’s landing on the table as long as a) you ask first, b) you make eye contact and raise your eyebrows until they nod, or c) you just know them really well. Also, since you’re getting first dibs on their sizzling stick-pile of delicious hot, oily fries, it’s only fair that you purposefully avoid any obviously amazing fry in the pile. You know that really, really long McDonald’s fry sticking out of the box? Probably shouldn’t touch that. But the thin, crispy short ones, the oversalted ones, and the regular limp n’ floppy ones? Those are all fair game, my friend, all fair game. But be careful out there because this policy can be abused. Some people might start pecking away at the fry-pile, then just start gaining momentum, unable to stop gorging themselves on your plate once they get started. They just keep testing the waters, pushing the envelope, snacking away until you move your plate out of reach or ask them politely how their food tastes. I’m serious—you need to watch out for these people because they’ll dent your fry-pile if you’re not careful. Secondly, keep your eyes peeled for greasy diner plates that come with only a dozen or so baked-potato-tasting fries. You know what I’m talking about. Those piles are off-limits! Sorry, but the Universal Fry-Sharing Policy simply does not cover extremely small piles of chunky-style fries. It would be too much to take one of those fries. The percentages just don’t work. Finally, there is one appendix to The Universal Fry-Sharing Policy. Conveniently it is called Appendix One, and it simply states that after somebody who ordered fries finishes their meal and pushes their leftover pile of dry, cold, ketchup-smeared fries into the center of the table, first dibs go to people who didn’t get fries. Second dibs go to those who already demolished a stack of them but just want more. And third dibs go to the guy washing dishes in the kitchen. So thanks, Universal Fry-Sharing Policy. Your existence is a win-win, balancing the tables by helping us fry guys trim down the calories and helping the “Can I sub salad for fries?” folks enjoy some guilty pleasure while still meeting their eatin’ healthy goals. AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (pp. 52-53). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 11 2012 02:24:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  08:13:22 AM  Show Profile
OMG, OMG I need to print this one out and send it to my mom. She is always commenting on my "picking" food off of other peoples plates (only people I know well, no strangers). I love this!

I am grateful for my daughters boyfriend. He is a caring artistic young man and we are blessed they found each other!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  08:20:59 AM  Show Profile
Today I am thankful for special occasions. Yesterday I met a good friend from HS and we had afternoon tea at the Drake Hotel in Chicago. One of my favorite things to do is go for afternoon tea. However, its usually not as posh as the Palm Court at the Drake with the harpist playing and the over attentive waiters. I have been to the Drake for tea before, but its been a few years. I also use to work downtown Chicago and my friend and I would get together more often (she still works downtown). But I changed jobs and I don't go into the city or see her as often. So it was especially fun to hop on the train, grab a taxi, and go for tea - in spite of the snowstorm that decided to hit Chicago yesterday. (So grateful I wasn't driving...) We had a lovely time and I'm so glad I went - but I'm still content to be a country mouse with just the occasional excursion (special event)into the "big city." There is no desire to do this on a regular basis - and the expense... Oh my...

Today's read is Universal Fry-Sharing Policy. Mmmmmm... I love french fries...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  1:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful for Saturday morning sewing shows, even though I don't sew much anymore, it's always fun to
watch new ways of doing things. And to see all the beautiful things someone has made, very inspiring.
todays read is french fries, theres no calories if I didn't order them, right?
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  2:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Today I'm grateful for unexpected generosity. Thank you, NIgel and Greg.

Today's read: Fixing electronics by smacking them.

This never works for me. Guess I didn't inherit the Fonzi gene! :-)

Farmgirl Sister #3754
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  05:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Victoria, just found this!!! I'm joining way late, but Im on board! Hope to catch up with it all!
Thank you for all your hard work in doing this!!!! This will be great!

Today? I am blessed and thankful for my farmgirl sisters!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:08:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm grateful for days off with no have to get this done today list. Everyone know where that goes.

Today's read: Sleeping in new bedsheets

You know the feeling: You just spent five minutes chasing all the corners of the elastic form-fitting bottom sheet around your bed and then laid and tucked the top sheet tightly into the mattress. You found some pillow covers in the linen closet, squeezed and shook your pillows in there, put your blanket over all of it, took a deep breath, and then dove right into the fresh, cold, mothball-smelling sheets. New sheets are great because they don’t smell like The Sleeping You, with your armpit hair all squishing around in there all night, your drool leaking all over the pillows, and your crusty old feet flaking off into little piles of dead skin shavings at the foot of the bed. And let’s not forget the hot farts you pop out when you’re sleeping too. Don’t deny it! We’re all disgusting when we’re asleep, and new bed sheets are great for letting us temporarily escape our own filth. Really, only one thing can add to that new bedsheet feeling and that’s when it’s your first seasonal sleep in thin cotton summer sheets or thick linen winter sheets. As you close your eyes softly, crickets chirping outside your window, moonlight and tree branches shadowdancing on the walls, you know right then and there: It’s going to be a good night. AWESOME!

Pasricha, Neil (2011-03-01). The Book of Awesome (p. 54). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Feb 12 2012 07:11:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Work on Gratitude badge together... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page