sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  12:18:23 PM  Show Profile
well grace you have me stumped. i have to say lisa sprouted some barley for the pigs. they dont eat it either. go figure i have no answer. maybe some one else will. i do like kris and give my hens meat scraps and fat through winter. there are no bugs right now for them. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Kris when they where little and in the shop tanks I would go pull fresh grass and place it in with them, all they did was poop on it. So when I moved them into the big chicken house I thought maybe they would learn from the black hen. I have tried grass clippings, spinach, all types of sprouts, kale, chopped hay and they will not touch it. They do have an outside run (protection from the fox and coyotes but it is is straw covered to keep down the mud and ice during the winter months. I just am concerned about a balanced diet - this is the first time I have every had this happen. I should say I have not tried worms yet. I do not feed animal meats to my chickens or eggs.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  06:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm....That is an odd one Grace. The only thing I am thinking is they really don't know what grass and greens are. Since you keep the mud down with straw maybe try buying some alfalfa and throw it on top of the straw. Mine love to pick the little leaves off if it in the winter. Another thing to try is put a whole or half head of cabbage in with them and just let them pick at it. Since cabbage is pretty solid it will give them something to work at and explore for a while. One last idea is maybe mix some of the greens/sprouts into a batch of cooked oatmeal. Just enough oatmeal to make it stick to the greens so they know to eat it. Other than that I am out of ideas except don't waste your time on sprouting greens for the chickens if they aren't going to eat them.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  08:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Lillian we must have been on the same wave length - I cooked some barley and oatmeal with some milk - they love that and eat that up quickly so I then chopped up spinach and broc really fine and mixed that in their morning porage. Just like little kids what they don't know get's them to eat. Sure enough the fight over the food was epic. I do have a extra head of chinesse cabbage and this afternoon when I close the coop I will put that in and see if we have any takers. Hate to give up my cabbage but I do have some for me too.

I have sprinkled hay on the straw, I have tried alfalfa before but at $14.00 a bale I give that to my expecting goat girls not to have the wind carry it to Kansas.. I did soak some alfalfa pellets and again they would not touch that but who knows I may just be making alfalfa oatmeal porage every moring - like I have nothing else to do! Anything for my girls.

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions - silly chickens.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I had a batch of young hens act this way. I really just think it is immaturity! i am glad you got them to eat oatmeal!
Good luck!
Stay warm and dry

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Here's a question for you gals...
I have a hen sleeping (and pooping!) in one of the laying boxes it is so gross, at least she's not laying eggs in there.
Any suggestings on how to keep her from sleeping in it?

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  01:45:32 AM  Show Profile
I have several that sleep and poop in their boxes. I just put in straw and pull it out when dirty then replace with new. I scrub and spray down all my boxes and walls like three times a year.
This is nothing abnormal for hens, I don't think?
Any ideas ladies?

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  06:55:59 AM  Show Profile
I have had that happen too. I did hear once to cover the nest boxes at night so they can't get in to do that. It's pretty normal. I guess they feel nice a cozy in there. I wish I could keep mine off the hay racks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  2:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies I feel better knowing it is normal

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  8:23:23 PM  Show Profile
A couple years ago I had three hens who would crowd into one nesting box - they where so silly because they had ten others to pick from but Nope this gals every morning would be squished into that one box. I was always surprised that they did not break the eggs - but it was also a waiting game for them to see who would be first to leave after laying... Silly Hens!! Luckly mine never pooped in the nest.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile
I went out this morning to feed the masses and noticed some feathers where some of the hens roost on the fence. So I counted and there was one missing. A Buff. Then went to the barn to feed the pigs and turkeys and there were 2 huge piles of feathers. SO I guess something got one. I need to keep my dog Bubba out tonight. And the gate was shut so the goats couldn't get to the barn. It had frozen shut and I didn't know it til this morning. I don't think it would have happened if the goats were in there or Bubba was out. I keep him in the cat room because he barks all night. I guess that's why he barks all night.

I got my excersise yesterday. Went to the dump then got 10 bales of hay. Then bought some wood. So the truck was full. One of the barrels fell out and a car hit it. I turned around to go back and the guy had turned around to follow me, I guess. He hollered that the barrel tore his f****** car up. So I got out and apologized and asked if he wanted me to call for an officer to file insurance. He said no, don't worry about it. I think the old guy was a bit druck and probably didn't have insurance. SO I got out of that one. His left blinker wasn't working but it probably never did.

So I had to go unload all that. Then went to check on the pigs and turkeys. I have 3 males and 4 hens together. Well, 2 of the males had been beating up on poor Harper. His whole head was pretty messed up. So I grabbed the other 2 guys and took them up front to the other pen. I had to do alot of work to get it to where they won't get out. But they are fine and Harper is good with his ladies this morning. I need to butcher the other two. ANd they were heavy! I hope they weigh more than 8 pounds now. I think they will.

Sorry to ramble so much. But it's never dull around here. And I found one egg a few days ago on top of some hay bales! Yay! It was one of the twin game hens, Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dumb. But I haven't gotten another one since. I think I scared her when I saw her there. I was just so excited to see an egg. I think I am going to go get some laying mash for them. Teh days are already getting a bit longer here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  6:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Grace, That's so funny! I can just see those hens squished up in one box!

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  8:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye, Sorry it's taken me this long to see you were asking me a question.

Our coop doesn't move at all. We built it to stay in one place and have the two 12' by 12' "pens" on each side of it for them to be "free" in. We don't dare let them roam free in the yard because we live surrounded by woods. We have so many wild animals that would love them for supper we decided instead of moving the coop we would just give them safe areas. In the summer we throw the grass clippings & other green into the pens for them to chew.They are so spoiled to begin with! They get cracked corn, oats, sunflower seeds, and God knows what else the hubby feeds them. Also, this way the yard isn't all dirt either, just the pen areas.

At first we did this so that they would be on one side fertilizing one year, and then the other side the next and we would put the garden in the side they weren't in that they fertilized the year before. But this past fall we decided to plow up one acre of our land and turn it into a very very large "garden"! I sell dried fruit and other treats to rabbit owners and the business is doing well so we figured we needed more than just a 12 x12 area for the garden and all that we grow to sell, eat, can, etc...

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  9:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to tell you about the inside. We have a roost that folds up and can "hang" on the wall when we clean it, three nest boxes, the water hangs from the ceiling, they have a big window they fight over to sit in, and we have a shelf at the very top for things we may need along with a broom and dust pan hanging on the wall. We have it insulated, we have electricity so they have a red light to help them stop pecking each other, and they have a heater in there that is on the wall and safe for them. It's an eco heater I think is the name. The inside isn't cute at all, just practical. Looking into the coop the nests are now on the back wall.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  07:57:53 AM  Show Profile
thanks ginny, it helps to see how others have done theirs. i like that the roost comes up for cleaning. papa welded the frame yesterday. i need to get my incubater today from my kids. lisa is going to do the hatching. i will do the chick growing. i think i will have around 100. we feed the eggs to our pigs and for a produce stand also. KRIS i am sorry you lost one of your chicken girlies. i always enjoy reading about your adventures. i am thinking once an animal gets in to cause trouble its hard to keep them out. i think you will need bubba out there. i am so glad the guy was not going to cause you trouble with the car. i bet that freaked you out. we are having a nice break from snow here. i can see the ground. i may plant some lettuce and swiss chard this am. hopimg you all have a fine day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Last night all the chickens went inside. There was not a single chicken on the fence. Good for them. I think it must have been an owl. I heard one that evening. And those chickens are fair game right out in the open. An owl just has to swoop down and grab one up. They are all here this morning.

I am letting the momma and her 5 chicks out now when it's nice. They go straight for the grass. And then they are scratching around all day out there. They come back in at night and I lock them up. They are all so cute and getting bigger every day. I figure being out they will grow faster now. I hope I don't lose any of them. I think there are 2 roos and 3 hens.

Sherrye, sounds like you are getting ready for lots of new chicks.

Ginny, I love your coop. Very handy. And looks very warm too. Good job.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  12:15:04 PM  Show Profile
I love the pictures of the coop - great ideas are in there and I am sure you sweet one's stay very warm and snug.

So sorry to hear about the owl issue Kris - I have two huge owls who can be a problem but the dogs bark so much at them that they have learned to stay away during the day. At night they sometimes dive bomb me when I am out checking on the animals - their way of paying me back I guess.

Thank you so much to the person who suggested a red light to keep them from pecking - not sure if it was this thread or another but I am going to give it a try. I have to keep a heat lamp going because of the cold but the person who wrote said this red heat lamp would stop the bad behavior... Has any one else done is and does it work???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have always used red heat lamps for my chicks when I first get them and until they are old enough to not have a light. It really helps with the pecking.

I just looked out the window and saw a small hawk flying through the yard. I ran out to check on everyone. All the baby chicks and mamma are still here. It was really small so I hope it isn't able to grab my big birds. But could get the chicks. So I guess I better watch out for that one. The next few days will be colder with a chance of snoe so I'll leave the chicks inside.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  5:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Kris is the red light going to work on my hens that are now over four months?? When they where little I had no pecking at all but now those roosters are being just horrible and it seems to trickle down to the hens doing it too. As I said before I never ever kept roosters and the hatchery sent me 6 (still fighting with them to get my money back for them and find a place for them to live)but in the mean time I have to deal with them pulling feathers and pecking. I hate the way they treat my sweet hens...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  6:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Grace, my roos are mean too. They are about 7 months old now and terrorizing the hens. They will have to go too. I can't stand the way they beat up on the girls. Too much testosterone out there. But mine are free ranging so not a whole lot I can do about it til they are gone. The roos are just finding out they are big boys and are turnng into teenagers. That's just the lofe of a rooster. And you have 6 of them in a coop.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  6:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Grace ,
In the case with my chickens, the red light seems to only stop them from picking an open sore. It doesnt stop the roosters from picking at the hens. I have read that the other birds,both hens and roosters will pick at the sight of blood so the red light makes everything look red thus stopping the picking.
I have come to the conclusion that roosters are just aggressive poops ! And good luck trying to find anyone that will take them .I offered them to everyone I know. No one wanted them as barnyard buddies and no one wanted to do the" deed" in order to have them for dinner. my only option left is to have my hubby do it fast and humanely with the least trauma possible then take them to be "processed". The meat plant here will do the processing from start to finish , but I just think it would be less tramatic for the birds if they didnt have to be crated up and taken to the plant alive.This is the part of Farm Girl Life that sucks !
Good luck !
Susan
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  7:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Susan I have had to end the life of many poultry over the years but it was not because they could not behave. I also for many years here raised sheep for meat and know that long drive to the processor too - the issue I have is I purchased at a very high price for all females of a rare breed and in my batch I got 6 roo's - I have been also feeding them top feed because I thought I was feeding hens. When there was no question about their sex I immediatly contacted the hatchery and have been going around and around about this broke the purchase contract and I want my money back. Until this is resolved the birds need to be alive (that is contract law) so I am trying my best to deal with them. I do not have a safe place for them to wait out the contract issues so I am just trying to deal with them. Also, with over 20 males big horned billies on this farm I understand the nature of breeding males but I do not wish my hens to be injuried. Trust me I have rung necks in my life but I am between a rock and a hard place.

I thank you all for your advice - I sure wished these boys would understand I am trying my best to find a peaceful resolve to this.

I did make today a natural sauve for the hens skin which I hope will aid in their healing. Another question does anyone clip the nails of their hens??? I know my sons did when they showed their hens but does folks do that as a routine care process??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  01:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Geat pen Ginny! I love to see others ideas. It makse me think about how I can improve mine.

Kristin- sorry you lost a hen. I hate it when that happens.

Grace, is there any way you can put some of these roos, in a differnt barn, stall or area. I have done this before and it works. I just take a roo or two and throw them in with the pig, or the bucks and they hang in there. Then they take this area over as theirs. Stoping all the fighting. I have 5 little banty roos that are just now old enough to know they are roos and they are going to have to go. But being baty's they are like a chicken nugget each and not worth my time to butcher. I do have a "farmer" down the road. He said I could throw a couple over there. I just don't like how he runs his place. No real shelters,No real schedules for feeding and most of his animals only eat hay. Even in the winter when there is no grass. And there is junk everywhere. I will have to if I can't find a better offer. Maybe I will put them up for sale or auction them when we do our personal auction.
Anyway, I hope you can get the hatchery to fix this issue. Not a good one.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  07:12:12 AM  Show Profile
this is just another thought from me. if they are pecking that much on the girls i would say boredom and needing some worms or such. if you dont feed meat could you buy some worms for them. unless they are very closed up they should not be doing this. you could also get some fat from the butcher. chickens need bugs or worms or something to fill that need. you will not get it out of grains. it is also breeding time for roos. they are getting fired up for spring babies. i have had as many as 15 roos in the pen at once. if they can move around and have food and water i have never had an issue with them pecking. as soon as one starts i add some fat to their diet and it seems to stop it.happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  07:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh good idea Sherrye! I will try that too. Those banty roos are so fiesty!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page