grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye wonderful suggestions - I have a huge shed that I have as the coop - I used the recommendations from the hatchery and then times it by 6 to make sure there was plenty of room. Then they also have an outside run which is available to them all as long as the temp or weather is not too bad. But again I was not planning for roo's and I agree territory is of issue with any male..

I do give them worms, bugs and suet blocks but I guess I might step it up more for the boys. Today I have been seeing if there is a way I can place them in one of the other barns. My issue with that is I have one of my Great Pry's in every barn to guard the animals and those dogs hate birds of any kind. They sure would make short work of them and problem would be solved but again I am still trying to get my money back and also I do not wish to start a blood bath in the barns when I am trying to keep the girl goats quite before birthing time. I guess this is one of those lemon/lemonade issues.

Sherrye I thank you so much for taking the time to give such wonderful suggestions to me. I must admit today when one of the roo's was being so mean to a sweet little hen - I snatched him up by the neck and it was so tempting to just snap it but I counted to 10 and set him down. He ran to one of the roosts and faced the wall for the whole time I was in the coop. BAD ROO, BAD GRACE, BAD ROO!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:12:48 PM  Show Profile
so my other thought is ... do you feed calcium shell like oyster shell. they need that and some good old fashioned rocks too. if they get out running then they find their own grit. they still need calcium even if they are roos. grace i know how much you love your birds and all your animal family. so hard for me to picture you ringing that birds neck. gads how funny and hard sometimes too happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye again great thoughts - Yes I put oyster shells not only in the feed but I have two containers with a mixture of grit and shells so those who wish more could do so. I also have two large dusting pans for them to roll in so they should not have an issue with lice and I have checked a few of the hens who are picked on to make sure they are not having little friends riding on them that would attract the males into picking.

Your right I try to figure problems out because everyone deserves a chance but as my sons are fond of telling folks "NEVER get my Mom Mad - You wont like it if you survive it!!" I hate to tell this one but at one time we had a Ram who after his second breeding season went MEAN - I am talking insane mean to everyone. One day he broke down a metal gate and was going after my son. As I heard the screaming I was in the middle of teaching a class to a bunch of sweet town ladies. I ran out the back door, jumped the fence and ran towards the ram. Grabbing him by his huge curling horns I stopped him in his tracks, twisting his neck, flipping him and snapping his neck. As my son looked at me he started crying. I told him no one gets to pick on the littlest around here. You could imagine the faces on the ladies when I returned - class was a bit quite that day.
I guess they really better start behaving because I am starting to get that feeling...

You have been such a gem Sherrye - I really appreciate everyone help. Still no word from the Hatchery - I guess I am on the phone again tomorrow..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  7:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Kudos to you, Grace! Sounds like us...I had a roo that went after my 4 year old DD. Now, that just doesn't happen around here. I chased him down, held him on his side (gently but firmly, but he HATED IT) and waited till he stopped moving. I picked him right up and put my face in his face and told him it was the stewpot if he kept acting like a little testosterone filled punk. He never went after her again, lol. But, I still don't trust any roos around the kids. We have a D'Uccle (he's the size of a pigeon) and he attacked my 4 yr old, too. Me and Bootsy had it out. He is due to be shipped off!

Roos can just be butts. I have 9 roos right now, and 5 need to vacate this property, either by way of freezer or another home. I feed mine a couple of handfuls of dog or cat food. Since that is high in protein, I feel that it satisfies some of their 'bug hunger' when they can't find critters in the winter. Honestly, for 3 of my roos, they eat dog kibble and scratch and they look absolutely stunning. Wouldn't recommend that long-term, but it does help them to feather out, I think since those lovely male feathers do require higher protein. Tomorrow I am going to start hardboiling a percentage of eggs I collect and feeding it back to the hens and roos. I think this will help them out a lot, too.

I keep a red light on all my chicks and in the coop in winter. I think that mainly as far as preventing pecking, you need to make sure they have plenty of space and good food. Try a handful of cat food and see. As I say, I only do this in winter, or during a molt. Boiled eggs would likely be even better since you're replacing exactly what they're putting out. I do chop up the eggs and crumble them though...I don't want to create any egg eaters!!!

And, sometimes you'll get a real butt of a roo or a cannabilistic hen. Need to watch closely who has blood on their face feathers. I had an eggeater once; her name is Gladys. I separated her for about a week and fed her really well, and made sure she had oystershell available. She hasn't done it since, so I just figured she was trying to get something she was missing in her diet.

:0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  12:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye-I was laughing so hard when you said that your boys tell people not to get you mad. All my kids do to. One time my nephews who I raised as infants and then had the oldest off and on until 16[he is special needs], were at our "camper". They were playing a videos game inside. I came in and knew I didn't approve of that game. While asking them what they were playing the youngets , he was like 12 at the time[who had been adopted by another family member at 1], said real quick a shortened name for it. Ty the oldest jumps up and says "Don't lie to Aunt Ang it is not worth it". I almost laughed. Special needs and all he knew what was right!
My oldest DD has told her sargeants, My mom is way meaner then you all!
I once had a black bunny, he was a flop eared mix. He got real aggressive cause we didn't have any females for him. He literaly bit my sister in the face. When I heard the screams and ran out side, I got that bunny off her face and strangeled him then, threw him in the pool. I was like 16ish. My Mom was mortified!
So Sherrye, you are not the only strict one!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  07:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Angie my sons love that I am such a strong hard core lady. I spoke with my youngest last night and he was saying that with all the girls he had dated so far he wished they had been raised by me - he said he may have not have appreciated me when we locked horns growing up but now he wished he could find a gal who stands on their own two feet and knows who they are. I must say when I was 19 I was a bill collector and repod cars in the worst part of town. My boss was most times to scared to go but for me I found it a challenge. So a little roo is not going to get the better of me I just want them to behave or there are sollutions.

Thanks for the great suggestions about the dog food - I give my working pry's the highest protein feed I can purchase so I will give them some. I do not have cat food but will put it on the list for next weeks town visit.

Today I am working on cleaning out a part of the yearlying goat boys barn and building a spot for the roo's. Heave help those roo's if they look cross eyed at my sweet little billies - it will be an fast snap and that will be that.

Question - has anyone fed rabbit food pellets to their laying hens??? I read that on an organic chicken site. Also there was a big discussion about NEVER feeding fruit to hens - it stops the laying of eggs. I have given watermellon, strawberries, blueberries and much more and I never found it to effect laying, How About You??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  09:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I just thought it was citrus. I have given my chickens fruit, when they were laying, and they kept on.

I went out this morning and got hit in the face with skunk stench. Yuck. It was really strong. But all the chickens are here as far as I can tell.

I thought I had lost my mamma hen yesterday. I saw all 5 chicks out in the garden but no mamma. I looked all over for her. I thought maybe that hawk had gotten her. But then she was there when I went to put them in the coop. They are all so cute. They met me in the yard and followed me to the coop and all went inside. They know who their real mamma is. So cute. I love my chickens.

It's raining here today. SHould turn to snow tonight.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  11:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Grace, while I have thrown a couple of bunny pellets to the hens, I'd never feed them that exclusively. Kind of like the dog food. Any animal diet can be debated all day long and you'll hear a thousand ways to do it 'right'.

Now, I am NOT very knowledgeable about animal nutrition, but here's a comparison of Purina Rabbit Chow and Purina Layer for chickens:

Salt content in rabbit food is higher. Layer is only .3% to .8% salt, and bunny is up to 1%. While both protein levels are at 16%, the calcium to phosphorus ratio in the bunny food would not be adequate for your laying birds. Recommended calcium levels in layers is a minimum of 3.5% to avoid health problems. Bunny food is only about 1.1% maximum. This could be corrected by feeding oystershell, but there's no way to tell (other than softshell eggs, thin eggs, or a blood test) if your hens are getting enough calcium. To avoid the possibility of those kinds of problems why not just feed a laying pellet, right? ;0) Fat is also about 1% lower in bunny food.

I have tried even feeding a cheaper laying pellet, only to have the hens lay these pale, super thin shelled eggs. Of course, this could lead to an eggbound hen which I definitely do not want! Since it's winter, there's really not much for them to graze around here so feeding a high quality pellet is extremely important.

As far as fruit, I've never heard that. I was taught to not feed a great deal of citrus to birds, but an occasional treat is fine. I don't feed fruit often, but I would imagine that it would be best as a treat...it is for most animals. One reason may be that they pig out on the fruit, displacing room for more nutritious food and that would make absolute sense. Like giving a kid a table full of candy and then expecting them to eat a healthy meal afterwards! This is also the situation when feeding reptiles. Most fruit isn't great for us nutritionally speaking (of course there are exceptions), so that's why it's usually recommended as a treat. Does that make sense? :0)

Hope that helps you without sounding preachy. :0)

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  3:55:55 PM  Show Profile
So maybe I should have posted here too. I imagine most of you read the other threads?

So anyway, I'm searching for the best incubator that has all the stuff to make temperature and humidity readouts easy. Are there any brands that come with turners and are there any good incubators out there that won't break the bank.

Something in the 50-75.00 range will work.

I have plenty of standard hens and silkie hens that usually set when more than 3 eggs collect in a nest box.

To date, nobody is setting, and I want to try it this way rather than relying on hatcheries.

Could an unusually cooler winter have something to do with setting?

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:09:37 PM  Show Profile
so my thought on the fruit thing is.. i know if we feed too much of something lower in protein and they fill up on it. they back of laying. small amounts i think are fine. like the other girls say they feed fruit. just moderation. just a thought. grace i hear ya on being tough. kris did you get the roos moved ok? happy days to all i gotta go milk and then bed. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:29:39 PM  Show Profile
anna,

I have one Silkie hen setting right now. No one else is interested yet. I bet come March with the daylight length getting longer,you'll have more start setting.

You're going to be pretty hard pressed to locate an incubator with all the bells and whistles in that range, unless it is used or you build it yourself. The problem with the styrofoam ones is that they use a wafer-type thermostat which isn't as precise as a digital one, so you do have to watch more closely for fluctuations. However, as I said in your OP, I have had success with mine. :0)

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  03:05:23 AM  Show Profile
I agree we just need to offer lots of options to our hens. But not over kill on one orver the other. My hens who all just came out of molt a month ago, have been picking up on laying. I am getting nearly a dozen a day. I have found some egg eaters, so I want to offer some fat and worms and then so how that helps. I could maybe get more if I had no egg eaters!

Well Busy day

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  04:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have been up for two hours - long before my chickens... Kris I hope you did not get sprayed - that smell sure clears up the nose issues...

Anna I think I saw a couple of incubators for sales on the Yahoo Organic Chicken Site.

I agree with you all about feeding - I do not feed citrus but they do get fruit treat when I have extra. I give oyster shell and grit and when the weather is exceptable they get to free range. Since I am an organic farm (which is getting impossible to find certified hay) everything they come in contact is what Mother Nature makes.

I have some exciting news Tuesday I just could not take it anymore with the roo's beating up my girls so I took the day to cleared out and redesign the barn that houses my young yearling billies. I spent the day redoing windows, doors, shelving, and equipment but by late afternoon I had created a palace for this so call kings of the roost. Then I went to the coop and started rounding up the boys. A few of them when I had my hands around them I just wanted to squeeze but I talked to them on the long walk to the new barn and explained to them it was for the best. With their own heat lamps, roosts, feed and water they settled in quickly. However, one decided he would fly over to the side with the billies. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself because Ozie a gentle billy had enough of the crowing and strutting and he just blowed into the roo. Quickly the roo flew back over to his side and that was that.

Here is the great part - by the time I got back to the hens, there in the nesting boxes were three incredible green blue eggs. The girls where pecking around and making the softest sounds - no more panic and pain - in return I got three eggs. Oh, HAPPY DANCE!!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  06:10:53 AM  Show Profile
oh grace i am happy doing the happy dance with you. what a big kjob. we all work very hard to keep things goping. i know i am tired this am and i have not started yet. may have to butcher a pig today. he has a hurt leg. not getting better. i think some one was too rough. i hope i can put it off a few days. we shall see. nice days here. cleaning stalls and corrals AGAIN.lol happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Grace, that's all it takes. I am so glad you got those boys out of their. Your girls were just too stressed with all those boys picking on them to lay eggs. Good for them. Now I need to do the same thing with all mine. I did get some laying mash the other day so I hope to see some eggs around here too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  7:05:50 PM  Show Profile
one more thought on the fruit, my son recieved a juicer for Christmas and we have been juicing like crazy, so I have all this pulp that I hate to waste, so I have been giving a scoop or so to the girls acouple times a week, and I they love it and I have been getting three or four eggs almost every day ( I only have six hens)
Just thought I'd add my two cents

Liz
In God We Trust

Edited by - chick-chick on Jan 26 2011 7:07:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Liz - I love my juicer!!! I have had the Jack LaLane (spelling not too sure about - so sad that he has pasted) anyway my whole farm fights over the pulp. My goats just about run each other down for it, even my Great Pry's LOVE IT! I love it too in breads, cakes, muffins, soups and the list goes on.

This morning my all girl coop was such a peaceful gentle place. I sat with them after I finished chores and they where just nicely pecking and scratching away. That is the joy I have always known with my hens over the past 20 years of having hens - not this horror filled days with Roo's.

You will get a kick out of reading my last two posts on my blog about the last two days at the farm - if you get a chance.

Thanks so much ladies for sticking in there with me thru this - I love my girls.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:00:12 PM  Show Profile
I know this is a chicken thread but I have to talk about my bad turkey girls. I had to take 2 males out because they were beating up on the one tom. So he has the 4 hens. Well, it was such a nice day out I let them out. Well, the hens promptly flew over the fence and headed up to the other 2 boys in their coop and left poor Harper all by himself. When I came home awhile ago, Harper was with the girls in the back yard. But now I can't get them back in their coop. I am going to see if they'll head back there on their own later. If not I guess they're on their own.

I haven't seen any eggs yet. I was hoping with the warmer weather and the laying mash I might get a few eggs. But none so far.

Grace, I read your blog posts. That was funny. And I know your girls are so happy now. How many eggs did you get today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Kris - Turkeys - got to love them. That was one my oldest son's first projects in 4H - he was in all the papers because Little Larry was the younger brother my son Nick wished he could have had instead of the one he did. Someday I will have to write about Little Larry and how I had to save my husband from the killing turkey...
Hope yours get back to their digs before the mean old night stakers come out to hunt.

Right now I am getting 4 blue eggs a day but I think the rest (I hope) will join in soon. I sure have been feeding a lot of beaks without much in return.

Glad you like the blog - silly Roo's with silly Billies. Billies won and once again it is calm at the Funny Farm.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I actually got them all herded back in with no problem at all. Even the goats cooperated for me! They both stood on the outside of the door so the turkeys couldn't go past. How nice of them. So the turkeys are all snuggled up in their coop tonight. And the baby chicks are too. All's well here.

I am so glad youa re getting eggs. I need some so bad. I wan some scrambled eggs and frittatas and a bacon and egg sandwich. I just want eggs. From my own very expensive hens. Is that too much to ask? I just might have to go buy some. And I'd love to hear the killing turkey story.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  7:32:35 PM  Show Profile
oh Grace, I just read your post about moving your roos I can just see you going thru the yard with the roo tucked under your arm and it made me smile, boy you sure worked hard to get those naughty boys away from your girls.
Reading the posts here I get a little "farm envy". I started keeping ducks then chickens about 2 years ago and realized that I am a farm girl at heart and didn't even know it. Now I would like to get a couple of acers of land and add more chickens and maybe a goat, but for now I'll be happy with my little back yard and my 6 girls.
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  02:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Grace you worked so hard. I love to sit and listen to all the quite noises in the barn.
I really need to get out and do something about my banty roo population. The other day my husband older sister was here and she went to the barn. No you go to remember my husband and hos whole family are from Gary Indiana area. So they are so city! Well she walks out there and those 5 boys dive bombed her! They have never done anything toward a humane. She ran out of the barn screaming! And the boys strutted. I think they only did it cause they could feel her anxiety. It was funny! The are so tiny and she is 6'2" and like 250 lbs. How funny!
There is not much movement today. It is so cold and wet out. We had several inches of fresh wet snow yesterday, and now freezing rain. It is really wind also. So everybody is just hanging out nice and quite!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  5:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Looks like I have lost another hen. Saw another pile of feathers this morning. And of course whatever is getting them likes hens. They could have all the roos they want but no, they have to grab the hens. I am going to go out there in a little bit and grab those stupid fence roosting birds and take them inside. They seem to be safer in there even thought there is no real door.

And I found 2 pretty eggs in the coop with the hen that has the 5 chicks. I just happened to look down on the shelf that's in there and there they were. No other ones though. I am happy to get them. I looked around and never found any more.

Angie, my oldest roo, Jimmy Buffet, has attacked my hubby twice and my granddughter once and my mom too. He got my hubby good the last time he was home and he grabbed the rake and whacked him good/ Knocked him across the yard. We'll see if he tries it again. If I can get my SIL to come out with his gun, he's gonna do some target practice on all thses roos. I am tired of all the chaos they are causing around here. And I'd much rather eat them than just give them away. Maybe he'll have time Sunday. He works all week except then.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  06:18:42 AM  Show Profile
kris, you are sure having a time with the chickens. i only wish it was a good time not this. so sorry you lost another hen. they probably leave the roos alone cause they are so roudy and mean. i would hate to have to put my in each day if i had to pluck them off tree branches. you are a dedicated farm girl. i soooo hope this is the last one to die. so you got 2 eggs from mama thats great. i got 2 eggs yesterday. yipee. how long do you girls keep your eggs after washed in fridge? are you gonna kill those roos and make dumplins? i had a good laugh over the gal running from the roo screaming. i think they did know her fear.LOL love the chickens happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  06:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I never wash my eggs and just keep them in a wire chicken egg basket on the counter. I love to see eggs on the counter. And speaking of eggs, I heard a hen doing the egg laying song in the garage. So I waited a little and then went to look around. I found the egg nest!! She had 5 eggs in there! 5! So I left one in the box. She's the same one that layed the eggs on the hay bale. So now I have 6 eggs. I need to make bread and a pumpkin pie for tomorrow. I am going to cook the 6 pound turkey for Sunday dinner. Hubby's home. And parents are here too. So lots to do this weekend. Also going to get the taxes done I hope. We always forget something. It's a beautiful day. Heaters are OFF!

I forgot to go get the chickens off the fence last night. But they are all accounted for this morning. I ws in the kitchen getting all the animal feed ready and water buckets. Had the door open. The cat was sitting there looking outside. And there was about 15 chickens on the porch looking in at me. SO cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page