kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  8:54:46 PM  Show Profile
I think I have about 20 Buff hens and 3 roos. Then about 8 game hens and 3 roos. Silly birds roost on the fence and in the trees most of the time. So when I looked outside and saw the snow coming down, I had to go rescue the ones I could catch on the fence. There were 9 of them. So I grabbed 2 at a time and took them into the goat barn. They didn't even squack. I think they knew they'd be better off inside tonight. It's coming down pretty darn good out there right now. I was hoping they were joking about all this mess. But it's here.

I also have 7 Bourbon Red turkeys. 2 of which need to go in the freezer soon. They are costing way too much money right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  04:04:20 AM  Show Profile
Well, husband found a possum in the coop the other morning. It had RIPPED A HOLE in the side chicken wire. I've never HEARD of a possum ripping a hole in wire. The possum is dead now, thank goodness, but it got my favorite hen. :( So now I've put a heat lamp and a regular lamp in their coop. They're still not laying, so I'm going to try the dusting pan with wood ash next-that seems simple enough since we have a woodstove we use all winter for heat. I told my husband that if they don't start laying by spring we're going to start from scratch and send the current ones to the butcher.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  06:47:20 AM  Show Profile
oh megan, so sorry you lost your hen. glad you got the possum though. well they decided not to sell their chickens yet. darn.. so back to incubating new ones. i think in the end i will have 100 or 120 chickens laying here. in the past we have had as many as 150.we are going to build a chicken tractor for the pasture. this way i dont need to spread cow manure. the chickens do it. whats the dusting pan and ashes do? i was hoping to pick up a turkey or two off craigs also. we shall see. KRIS if i was there we could have a butcher session and get yours and mine done. well gotta go do chores. happy days to all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Today my sweet hen Lucy presented me with the most beautiful mint green egg. She has given me many eggs but they have always been brown before ! There havent been any changes in diet, what would cause the change in color?
Susan
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  03:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Susan, are you sure she laid it? She may have just been sitting on it. I really do not think a hen can change egg color like that.
Megan, sorry about your hen. I lost one baby this year and two of my favorite roosters. But that is life.

I can not wait to put in my oreder for this years chicks. I think we will be doing 50-100 meat chickens and 20 new layers. I culled a lot of my flock before winter. I knew this would be a hard winter and just couldn't see trying to afford on more thing!
Sherrye- wood ash is great for getting rid of mites. The chickens love it. My chickens get a bucket throwne in there pen every other week. I do not use a dusting pan, they just never used it. So I just dust each nest box and throw the rest on the ground in the pen, out of the pen in good weather. I started this a few months ago. Our whole county had an out break of mites. I have not found a mite since I started using it. I also buy DE once a year.

Well good luck ladies and stay warm!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  05:35:03 AM  Show Profile
I started burning wood for heat and have lots of ashes so far. I will put them out where the chickens can roll around in them. Thanks, Angie.

I think I will order some meat chicks too. There are several people that want to go in on some. I was going to do it last fall but just didn't feel like it then. So maybe spring chicks. The people that are going in with me will also be helping to butcher. And I will be needing more laying hens too. So here goes. I will definetely be getting more Buffs. I love them. They have been the best chickens I have ever had.

I am so sorry for the loss of your chicken, Megan. And glad he got the culprit.

Susan, I have never heard of that before either. Do you have Americana hens too? That is strange. But ya just never know.

We still have snow on the ground. The chickens have not ventured too far out. Me and my granddaughter Kansas made peanut butter and bird seed pinecones for the birds yesterday and hung them in the apple tree in the yard. It took about 20 minutes for the birds to find them. The tree was full of birds and the ground too. Several different kinds too. But the redbird is my favorite in the snow. So beautiful.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  07:20:10 AM  Show Profile
angie, thanks so much. i will start doing that. right now i am rendering bones from out steer. i then burn the bone in the wood stove. i put this ash in my compost i make for root crops. i love finding new ways to use stuff we already have. i am going to build a chicken tractor. i posted a thread. would love ALL ideas. so you guys like buffs. i am choosing next years laying hens. i was thinking buffs are a bigger bird. if i free range i know they say bigger birds are less likely to be carried away by bigger birds??? its cold here in winter, hot in summer, need brown egg, need low rate of meat spots, need to be consistent layers, what breeds are good for this. i was using sexlinks but maybe too small for a pasture bird? thanks girls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I know it was Lucy that laid the green egg. One of the roos picked on her so I have her protected till I know she is healed . I have no idea breed she is. Someone have me the eggs to try hatching. She is red with black tips . Her pal Ethel is black with red tips . Both have always laid shades of brown .
Susan
Go to Top of Page

NoRtheRN FaRm GiRL
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Migon
Burns Lake BC
Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile
*Sick Chicken*
I'm fairly new to the chicken scene, I've had mine for about a year, just collected here and there. I have a Leg horn that I found not doing well in the coop this morning. Everyone else was up and about eating and she was in the coldest spot in the coop, with her wings slightly spread and her eyes closed, standing. (almost like a really hot day but it's -22 Celsius and blowing snow out) I know she's not hot. I brought her inside to warm by the fire (I do have a heat lamp and lots of hay bedding in the coop) just thought the heat inside might help her.
She has a yellowish runny poop that drips like a tap out of her vent, and she has the same posture as before.
In my ignorance I have never internally dewormed them, only treated them for external mites. She's about a year and a half. I have read on different dewormers(hoping this is my problem and easily solved) there are natural ones, diatomatious earth, and apple cider vinegar, and chemical ones. I'm cautioned to deworm in the winter, and I'm worried a natural dewormer won't help her at this point(if that is even what it is.) Any body have an suggestions or advice?
Thanks in advance.

FArmer in training
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  8:48:56 PM  Show Profile
ginny i love your chicken tractor. could you tell me how you have the inside set up? i am making one now i need ideas and help. i also want to farmgirl it up. papa say i can use a metal trailer we have. so the outside is metal maybe aluminum? could i paint on that some sort of cute stuff? any ideas would be great. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  06:17:02 AM  Show Profile
i was able to buy 15 rgode island reds last night they are 8 months old and laying. she sold them to me for 65.00. i am so glad. we culled our flock. i miss my eggs. so this will help us get by for now. we are used to having 100 or more layers. they will go in the chicken tractor when its built. we are going to use their eggs to incubate more. i have a wellsummer rooster. i think they will make great babies together. i am so excited about this. i go at 9 after milking today. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  06:36:33 AM  Show Profile
Dead hen: Found prepariously perched on the roost, near the middle. There was no sign of "fowl" play. Any suggestions on what took her life in the middle of the night on a marginally warm for winter evening?

Ideas?

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  07:39:55 AM  Show Profile
Northern Farm Girl- Sounds like she may be egg bound. You can try giving her a "warm bath" take a bucket of warm water and soak her for a few minutes. You can also try and "probe" her and loosen up around the egg if you can feel it. Other than that there isn't much you can do for that. I have lost a few to being egg bound and it is so sad.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:08:18 AM  Show Profile
Migon, I had a hen the other day just kind of hanging out by herself under the hay rack. I couldn't catch her. I thought I'd find her dead but it appears she is fine now. I have no idea what was wrong with her. How is your hen today? And improvement? And welcome to the forum. I bet it's freezing way up there. We still have lots of snow and ice here. I am so ready for it to be gone. And I know the animals are. The chickens just started coming out of the barn yesterday. The sun has been shining a few days now. The snow is pouring off the roofs! But that only makes icey patches I have to watch out for.

Susan, Lucy sounds like she may be a Gold Laced Wyandotte. The other could be a Maran or Black Sex Link. Any more green eggs?

Sherrye, that is a great deal on all those hens. I hope you get lots of eggs from them. And I am trying to think of the name of the meat birds I was going to get. Someone on KFC had started a post about them. They are red birds and are supposed to be a slower growing bird. Freedom Rangers. That's the name. They are supposed to be a great free ranging meat bird with great tasting meat. That's what I want to order for us. Check them out and let me know what you think.

Rejena, that's strange that the hen was still on the roost. The others were probably holding her up? Had you noriced any chickens acting differnt yesterday? And you didn't see any evidence of blood?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

NoRtheRN FaRm GiRL
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Migon
Burns Lake BC
Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lillian, I did as you suggested, I did not find an egg in her, but her symptoms were what you described. She is a little perkier then yesterday but still feeling under the weather.Not eating but did alot of drinking in the bath, despite having fresh water available to her in her bed.

FArmer in training
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  12:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
My I have decided that my hen Lucy is quite a hen.
Back in Oct , she suddenly became ill(or injured).Her wings were floppy and her legs could not support her weight. She continued to eat ,drink, lay eggs and was a chatty as always so I just babied her to see if she would recover.
About 3 weeks ago one or the roosters pecked her terribly I really thought she was dead when I found her . I bought some wound spray and have had her in a wire cage since. The wound has healed beautifully and today when I went out to clean and feed, She was up and walking !
I am going to keep her separated until the roosters are gone. She has come through too much to let anything get her now.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  12:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
PS,

By the way There was the normal brown egg in with Lucy today..Still don't know what was up with the green one
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Kris -- go for the meat birds. We do ours in August now since the weather is cooler than in Spring and have better results. Just cleaned out our coop this morning...bad weather is on the way again. Smells so good out there -- well it did:) I've lost a few birds this fall and winter do to predators but I think we have that solved. I do love my chickens. While I was cleaning the coop I can up with a new idea for making it look pretty for them !!!
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile
well i am home with the hens. they are gorgeous. healthy but i forgot one. dang it now i have to go back and get the last one. LOL anyway very happy to have them. so sorry you had a dead chicken. well now i am back. she delivered the last hen. its getting chilly outside. i am in for a break before milking. susan, silly lucy i wonder how that happened. those special chickens are something. these girls i just got are all tame. like to be picked up now i need my incubater. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

NoRtheRN FaRm GiRL
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Migon
Burns Lake BC
Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  4:01:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome Kris, Gina is still up and down today, she's had a couple of warm baths to see if we can dislodge any egg. No luck so far. She did start eating a bit, and made a little fuss the last time I went to grab her for her bath. She's not one to be held but has not even noticed that she was being handled until this last time.

FArmer in training
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  4:36:46 PM  Show Profile
wow you are new. sorry i missed that. you have found a fine place to call home. i so hope your little girl continues to get better. we love our animals dont we?lol sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  04:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Northern Farm Girl- I know I may get objections to this, but here is my advice. Sometimes we just can't say exactly what causes a sick hen. But here are some of my remedies. Try feeding her higher fat food, ie. suet block. You can make it your self from rendered fat and bird seed or you can by the wild bird ones. I also do think some vitamin c melted in water and given to her as water. I also do use the soluble tetrecycline. I know this is not the best natural thing. But it truly has gotten some of my hens who seemed to have very similar issues, get better fast. I really think it is some kind of cold or infection. And if we treat the symptoms, we get healthy hens again. Good luck!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

NoRtheRN FaRm GiRL
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Migon
Burns Lake BC
Canada
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Angie, sometimes strange home remedies that we've figured out ourselves or have been passed on from someone(like you to me) are the best finds. Thanks for these little bits I appreciate them....and so will my ladies:)

FArmer in training
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile
I have a question - why is my new batch of chickens not wishing to even try anything that is green - I sprouted all types of goodies and they just left if sitting in the dishes like I was trying to feed them something horrible. My lone hen was eating it up and none of them would join in. This has happened more then two dozen times and I am getting a bit frustrated - I know they need those minerals.

Any suggestions or ideas why?? Thanks in advance

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  12:07:46 PM  Show Profile
I get meat bones from the slaughterhouse and throw some out to my chickens. Plus lots of fat. They love it. And they need that extra protien right now in this cold weather.

Grace, have they been outside at all yet? Maybe they don't know what they are supposed to do with it. Have you tried throwing some grass in the pen with them? My little chicks that are still with their mother love grass. When I let them out that's the first thing they see and they are eating it up. And when I throw them some they eat it all too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page