sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  07:58:49 AM  Show Profile
i am so happy for you. it is a happy day when they are all in cozy at night. kris is a smart farmgirl so many times she has helped me with my stock. my calf would be sick with out her help. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  06:22:33 AM  Show Profile
I found some eggs!!! Yippee! And then this morning found one in the nester of all places. Who would have thought to look in an actual egg nester. But there it was. So maybe all hope is not lost after all. I am so happy to have found them! I hope there are others who are still getting eggs the natural way. I just don't have stuff to do all the lights with. Too much trouble for me to do. But I know it will help all of you in more wintry places.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  06:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca, I am so glad your girls are back safe. Sometimes I can't see mine way up in the cedar trees but if you look on the ground you'll know. There is poop several inches thick underneath. I bet that's where they were. Very happy to see they are all home and safe again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  06:43:56 AM  Show Profile
I am doing the Happy Dance for you Rebecca.. Glad everyone is back and safe. I know what you mean for the longest time I only had 5 chickens at the most and so you really know each and every little personality trait of them. You become so attached... I found even with my 31 I am getting to know each of them and my heart strings are attached to each - so hug them from me if you can and Congrat's on their return.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  06:57:43 AM  Show Profile
I have 6 girls and have been getting 2 or 3 eggs a day without lights. one of the girls seems to be holding out not an egg from her yet. It's strange, she is the same age as the other 3 and hasn't started laying, stubborn girl.

Rebecca, I'm so glad your girls are safe and sound. I had a simlar exeprience last year, however it didn't have a happy ending.
I learned quickly how clever raccoons are.
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  07:30:56 AM  Show Profile
we culled our flock out. so down to about 10 girls. so far we had one day with 5 eggs. happy dance. always scary when we do this.trying to keep the right ones. so glad you girls are getting eggs. who would think they want to sit in this weather. we have at least 5 inches. have you girls seen that jewel needs all our prayers and love???go to hogs prayers. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  09:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye- we culled out our flock too, we wne t from 60ish chickens to under 25. I just cant sell the eggs fast enough and was worried about money for feed for all of them this winter. I was so scared to grab trhe worng ones, but we get enough eggs to feed us and sell a dozen here or there. I think we will be culling the rest this spring and start a new. I cant cull some of my roosters and hens, they really are my pets. But the rest will go. We have a wellsummer rooster I think needs to go. He is really rough even with my girls and I just have no need for a rough aggressive rooster. But my little bantam roosters and my naked neck rooster can not go. When my naked neck rooster was young. He would help me in the garden. I would be weeding and if I found some cabbage worms or unwanted bugs, I would call him over and he would go to town. Now he has learned how great the ladies are and stays with them!
I am glad everyone has had not lost or dead hens. That is the worst feeling.
I was counting my hens one day, could not find one, looked every where! Then as I was about to give up, I heard this noise, and behind an old freezer where we keep our extra grain; she was! I had to omve the freezer to get her out! I have no idea how she got all the way back there, but she was ok!
Well stay warm and safe!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  4:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca, I'm so glad your hens are safe! We have had some of our hens, unknowingly, spend the night outdoors, they usually go to roost under the coop. Well, not anymore, too much snow, and hubby closed off all 4 sides, so that they would go inside. They can't free range anymore due to problems with the apple farmer, but still one or two will occasionally find their way out, but stick close by, and are anxious for us to pick them up and get them back in the run with the rest!
We had a fox take one of our hens about 2 months ago, but it has not been back since. It was broad daylight, something is keeping the foxes away now, it may be they know our dogs are out a lot.
Today, for the second time in the last few weeks, I had a hawk come swooping around the house just barely missing me. He landed in the tree in our yard, saw the dogs and took off. I heard the most awful noise coming from the coop, and thought another hawk had got one of chickens. I went running back there to find all the chickens in the coop. I think what I was hearing was one of the roosters giving out the warning call!
We did realize that the hawks are coming after the birds that use the feeder up close to the house. I had found feathers all over the other day. I don't want them getting the birds but want even less for them to get a chicken, or scratch me up, if it happens to fly into me!
Ah, the hazards of being a chicken farmer!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  2:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Liz, don't give up hope on the late bloomer! We had 5 the same age and one took 2 months longer to start than the others. We thought she may be a rooster w/ out a crow! Now she is a very loyal layer.

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  8:13:37 PM  Show Profile
After reading through most of these I have to tell you this: when the girls are chasing each other for whatever is in one's mouth, we call that "chicken football". This summer my hubby and I loved giving them a grape tomato and sitting back in our rocking chairs and watching them. Great free entertainment!

I have 6 Rhode Island Red and 6 Plymouth Rocks. We are getting about a 10 - 12 eggs a day. We don't have a heater in the coop yet as it hasn't come yet in the mail, and we have a red light that is 60 watts in there rather than a normal one because they are pecking each other (4 obviously have a section of missing feathers) so I think we are doing really great. Of course if we don't get that heater soon, they may not give us many. With this Nor'easter on top of us finally, I don't know if they will be able to be outside now unless we shovel the area's they normally "range" in.

When we built the coop, we put a completely fenced in area that is 12' by 12' on each side of the coop so that they would be safe while still being outside. At first we had them only on one side and a garden on the other but since October we have just let them have both sides. We had to do this because we have 60 acres of woods and LOTS of wildlife that would love to get into that coop!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Moodene
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

Nadine
Devers Texas
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Moodene's MSN Messenger address  Send Moodene a Yahoo! Message
I am fixing to build a bigger chickenhouse for my mine. Mostly pole barn style with dirt floor. I don't need one that is all boarded up for cold weather since I only have it for 3 months. My son is paying all any supplies that I need since we are using most of the old barn work shop we had to tear down because it got damaged by Hurricane Ike when he came roaring thru back in 2008. Can't wait to get my hands dirty..lol..I love building my own stuff..without any blueprints since I can't read them as well..lol..Will post pics as I build it..

Love me like I am. farmgirl #801
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  6:56:07 PM  Show Profile
My crazy chickens... four of them are experenncing winter for the first time this year and today when I let them out of the coop they flew out like a bat out of h..., well you know what I mean. They haven't been out in two days due to the snow,( we had 10 inches and high winds) well 5 of them ran out into the middle of the yard (one was smart enought to stay indoors) and that's were they stayed standing in the snow. As it started getting dark they were still standing in the same spot, so being the good chicken mama that I am (or crazy chicken lady as my kids call me) I went out and picked each one and carried her into the coop. Now they are all snug and cozy.
We will see what tommorrow brings.

Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  7:21:47 PM  Show Profile
I went around our town in mid December and asked folks for their old holiday pumpkins. I store them under our corn crib and use them as a treat for our chickens, ducks, and goats. They all really LOVE them and will venture forth thru fairly thick snow to get to them. We haven't had much snow yet here, but I am looking forward to it.

Rejena

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

DobbsFarm
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

April
OK
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  8:06:42 PM  Show Profile
I have read this entire thread over the last few days and loved everyone's stories!! We live in a small town in Ok, but I just found out that I can have chickens, if I get a permit. We are making plans to do this in the spring. I'm SO excited and can't wait to read all the responses here...I've already learned so much just reading this thread (I had no idea the chickens would like oatmeal!) Thanks ladies for sharing your stories and knowledge. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions when I finally get my girls.

I'm planning to get 6 female Barred Rocks (trying to decide if I should get banties...what are your thoughts?). From what I read here and on the hatchery websites you all mentioned, those would be good layers and friendly. I have a daughter and I'd like her to be able to interact with them. My plan is to have a coop with a small covered yard, but to let them out into our regular fenced backyard during the day and lock them in at night to protect from predators (we have a creek back behind our yard). I think I am required by city code to keep their wings clipped and to dust for bugs every 2 weeks. Any thoughts on what to use to dust for bugs that will be all-natural? I'm planning to use organic feed and let them forage as much as possible.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  06:35:52 AM  Show Profile
hi april, welcome to chickens we use diametacious earth for our chickens. we duct them with it. i also put it in nest boxes to keep mites out. i feed it to my stock as a natural wormer too. lots of the farmgirls use it. i know i like to keep my chickens more contained. you will find they poop everywhere in the yard. eat your flowers etc. i like portable pen and shelter. even for a few chickens. you can move it around to fresh areas. just my thoughts. i am sure our other chicken raisers will have ideas for you too. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  08:05:28 AM  Show Profile
Nadine, I can't wait to see pictures of your new chicken house. I love seeing everyone's coops. Mine are free ranging so they roost in trees and on fences. When it's realy cold they will go in the barn. I have a nice roost in there but they will roost on the 2 hay racks. Then they poop all over the hay and then the goats won't touch it. So I put boards on top. They will roost on the boards. Silly chickens. I had to snatch up 2 stupid hens the other night that were on the fence and put them in the barn. But the last 2 nights haven's been as cold so they are all back on the fence again.

I am cutting down the feed for the chickens in the morning to just a handful. They are not laying right now. Well, there are still a few. But I am spending way too much money to feed these chickens. So they will get more at night. I just can't afford all this feed for nothing in return. I did get 1 egg a few days ago. When I went out this morning there was a hen under the hay rack. I'll check later to see if there might be an egg.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  08:08:49 AM  Show Profile
April, Diotamacious Earth is great for dusting for mites and lice on hens. And the thing about the banties they just lay smaller eggs. I'd personally rather have a regular sized hen for bigger eggs. I have Buffs and game hens. They are all really good broody hens and great mothers. So far I have had about 8 Buffs go broody and all the game hens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DobbsFarm
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

April
OK
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  6:16:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info on DE! I'll check into that. The more I've been thinking about it, the more convinced I am that I'll build a coop with an attached run, then also have a smaller chicken tractor to move them around the yard. I don't think I'll be able to let them roam free simply because my garden is also in the backyard and we're trying to raise as much as we can to put up for next winter.

And I think I've decided to go with regular sized hens, instead of banties. I had read that the Barred Rocks don't get broody as often and that was a main reason for choosing that breed. Is that not true? I do not plan to have a rooster and am not interested in breeding more chickens. Since I live in town, I'll be limited to 6 hens. I'm looking for a breed that will be friendly to our family (especially my daughter and any future kiddos) and that will be good egg producers. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  08:32:04 AM  Show Profile
April, I have had BR before and only had 1 go broody. So you should be good with that breed. I don't mind the hens going broody but not all at once! And also I always get way more roosters than hens when that happens. My son-in-law was going to come out Wed. and do some target practice on 3 roos that need to be in the freezer. But then I almost sliced my thumb off and had to get 6 stitches. SO didn't want to fool around with knives so quick after that fiasco. So hopefully he'll have time in a few weeks to try again. I actually have 5 roos so maybe we can get them all.

You can also put some apple cider vinegar in the hens water to help with worms and things like that. I put about a 1/4 cup in a gallon of water every now and then. I do that for the dogs, cats, goats and cows too. And turkeys.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Moodene
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

Nadine
Devers Texas
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Moodene's MSN Messenger address  Send Moodene a Yahoo! Message
Well we got some of the poles in the ground and concreted in. We will start on some tomorrow if my yard guy comes back to help me out. My son leaves for Maryland in the morning to go back to the Army base he is stationed at. It is suppose to rain for the next few days so I am hoping we have all the poles up so the concrete can toughed before we put the wire on. Then I will put plywood paneling as I go when the money comes in.In March, my son will come back home and we will be painting the henhouse,planting palms around it,and building nest boxes out of what I can recycle from leftover stuff from my grandpa's barn we had to tear down. It will have a tin roof.

Love me like I am. farmgirl #801
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  10:22:40 PM  Show Profile
We built our coop out of wooden pallets. They were the frame, then we put plywood over it and insulation inside the pallets and then any wood we had to cover the insulation. Since we have to worry about wild animals we put a 12 by 12 "pen" on each side of the coop for them to range in. Here's a couple of pics.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  10:25:23 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that we switch sides every year. One year they are fertilizing one side, the next year we plant a garden in that side and they fertilize the other side. That is why in the last pic you see plants on the left side and only our chairs on the right. We go out every night in the summer and sit in there so they would get use to us and it was great entertainment for free!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  06:11:00 AM  Show Profile
ginny i love your coop. way toooo cute. good idea being able to move so you can grow on the side not in use. we may be getting new chickens tomorrow. they are from a craigs ad. i am hoping. i culled our flock a few weeks ago. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  06:27:43 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, Ginny. And cute too. How many chickens do you have?

I traded a gallon of frozen goat milk for 1 1/2 dozen eggs yesterday. The lady I got the pigs from also has about 100 laying hens. SO that was a good deal. She's going to make soap. I am only getting 1 egg a day if I am lucky.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  11:34:59 AM  Show Profile
We have 12 girls and are getting 10 - 12 eggs a day still. The heater worked great last night and I noticed this morning after hubby went out and feed/watered/and opened their door, most of them were happy to stay inside! But now that it's afternoon, sunny, and warmer I see a few out.

Kristin: How many do you have? I'm thinking of getting a pig but we would need to build a small barn. Although, I see on here the new MJF mag has something about pallet barns so it may be do able! LOL

Sherrye: did you get the chicks? How many? Type?

A friend is a high school math teacher & just stopped by. She has decided to have her students build an incubator, hatch chicks, and then grow them for her! I have no idea how you get a math class to do this, but she is!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page