Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Susan that is so funny. But i do hope you are ok?? How long do you think you were in there? And how big is the chicken coop? Was it cold or snowing and were you bundled up good?

I am loving my country life all the time!!!!
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Susan, I'm laughing to think of you stuck in there(I was stuck on the outside of my work door this morning so I can relate!)
Lucy must have enjoyed your nice long visit with her! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  11:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie- I think they maybe stars. Here is a link. Try it! http://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/star/20741

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  08:19:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi all you chicken luvin' farmgirls. Well, it is really wintry here today in northern Wyoming...near blizzard conditions. We moved my coop closer to the house 2 weeks ago - just in time. The weather turned suddenly and we're now into "for real" winter. My young hens began laying in late September. I have Welsummers, Barred Marans, a Rhode Island Red and a Leghorn. Marans are supposed to have very dark brown eggs (so says the literature), but the Welsummers thus far have the darkest eggs...slightly speckled and glossy. No matter, they taste great in every color. I've been letting them out when the weather is more agreeable. I scattered a little hay out next to the coop so that they wouldn't have to go barefoot on the snow. I also put a heat bulb in the light fixture for a little added warmth. The coop is well insulated and the bulb makes a difference. See photo collage below; the little iron hen was a "find" at a nearby greenhouse.
Shery Jespersen - the MaryJanesFarm "ranch farmgirl" blogger

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  1:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Angie, I will go look at that link, thanks very much. The new owner said the chickens are very shy. I don't think they got to free range at all and are in shock at the new surroundings. I know they are 3 years old and were laying good. I am sure this super cold and snowy weather we just were hit with didn't help the shock out at all.

In the photos that are posted below your post and above mine I see a chicken that looks like hers! Its the dark one, last in line (standing in straw) and then it's head is also showing above the back of the black and white ones. I have 2 that look like that, mine are called Dominique's. That is what I was told! They are my real chatteroboxes.
Thanks for the note.
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

Edited by - CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl on Nov 30 2010 1:16:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  1:38:34 PM  Show Profile
My mother in law has a problem with a mink getting her chickens and the eggs. The other day it killed her big rooster and he was so beautiful. Any ideas on how to get rid of it or catch it??

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  1:43:35 PM  Show Profile
I guess you could try a live trap and then do whatever ya all want, relocate or whatever. Good luck, that is so sad.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  1:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks angie!! Theyhave tried a live trap but the chickens keep getting in it. I think it is taunting them cause the other day her husband went out to check for eggs and check the trap and when he went in the coop he felt something drip on his head and he looked up and the mink was up in the rafters peeing on his head. LOLOLOLOL When he old me that i could not help but bust out laughing it was so funny.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  2:08:32 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear that Marcia - I do admit I would have giggled too. I have two minks on this farm and they seem to be scared of the chickens. In fact the youngest one lives under the chicken house but has never tried to get in. My oldest hen while out gathering grass came upon him and she pecked him several times and he took off running and that was that. I am not sure other then a live trap what you could use. I do know I have three working Great Pry's and if anything looks wrong at the chickens they would be dinner for one of the dogs. I will be interested to hear what others might suggest...

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Who has new chickens and now snow??!!! Well, my chickens aren't new really, they are 8 months old, but have never seen snow before!
2 days ago we got 3-4 inches of snow, and I could not get any of them to come outside the coop all day! I tried throwing treats in their run, but they would argue until someone would finally come out pick something up and bring it right inside to share! They were too funny about it, but I'm a little concerned, because our coop is pretty crowded right now. Hubby is trying to finish the second one so we can split them up, but I hate to think of them all inside all day and all night.
Will they ever get used to the snow and come outside?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  07:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Well, we have our first dead hen this morning.

I know it's possums. My husband and I got into a squabble over it this morning. He doesn't think the possum can fit through the hole. I think it can. The hole going into the coop is about 3.5 inches long and about 3.5 inches tall. About a soup can size I guess. I had hubs handle the dead hen, since I'm pregnant, but, they've been going through food and water about double the rate they usually do, and I wasn't quite sure why. Also, my rooster had an owie on the back of his comb the other day-I thought from maybe a squabble in the coop. Today was all the proof I needed. In the fresh snow there were possum tracks. I'm missing an egg (There were 3 on Friday) and a dead hen.

Husband doesn't agree. I think the possum killed the hen but couldn't fit it back through the hole. What do you guys think? Is it maybe a weasel instead? Husband has no idea what it is.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  08:04:44 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your loss. Is it possible to take a picture of the footprint?? I would take one then show it to us and also your local extention agent. We or They maybe able to identify and then give suggestions. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  3:14:22 PM  Show Profile
A possum could certainly get through the hole you describe, especially a young one. Actually, it really doesn't matter what it was, you'll need to reinforce the pen. Possums are notorious for eating only the head, so that might also be a hint. Sorry this happened, whatever it was.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  3:23:55 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm thinking it was a possum or weasel. I wish I had come in here today after posting this so I could've gone and taken a picture. It's been snowing all day, so the tracks are gone now. I'll go check tomorrow and bring my camera. They look like possum tracks to me, and we do have possums around.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  06:55:12 AM  Show Profile
I hope this question hasn't been asked already, but what do you feed your chickens? I buy the food from the feed store and let them out in the evenings for a short time when I am at home. We don't have a fence around our yard and stray dogs wonder by occasionally. I want to have healthy organic eggs, I don't know what is in the food from the store, but don't know what else to feed.

~Catherine~

Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hi Catherine,
I am new to chickens too so the other girls may have more ideas, but this is what I feed my girls. They get a mix of scratch grains lots of fruits and veggies. I kind of give them a little of what I eat really. I give them all the trimmings and waste like apple cores and veggie peels,left over salad. They LOVE leftover pasta and as a treat they like yogurt and cottage cheese. On cold days I make them a pot of oatmeal ( suggested from these girls)and now and then I give them some suet with nuts and berries. In the summer I grow them some sunflowers and they get all the yard waste and they enjoy picking at things like melon rinds and pumpkins.
In Return they have been blessing me with 3 or 4 eggs a day(I have 7 hens) !

Susan
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  6:07:49 PM  Show Profile
Catherine- if you want organic eggs, you need organic chicken feed or free range them. Otheriwse it truly is not organic.

I have a problem with mice. But fear using bait due to chickens eating the mice and I have free range bantams that go under the hay skids so they may get into the poison. I am thinking of using an oiled stick/rod, going into a barrel of water. I heard that they get in and dround. Any other ideas.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  09:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  2:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Well, we lost another hen. Once again, no blood to be seen. They're not laying either. The two that died are recent implants into my flock. They didn't have many feathers on their backs, I asked the guy selling them if they were molting, and he said yes. We went and plugged ALL the holes, put down more hay, but, the next step is to put in a heat lamp and see if that helps. I don't know what else to do. I can't catch the bugger in action if it is killing my hens-I'm 33 weeks pregnant and am needing more help doing my farm duties. Could it be a sickness instead?! Could the loss of feathers on their back be something OTHER than molting? I need to deduce whether this is an animal attacking my hens or a sickness going around. I'd hate to lose all my girls because of a sick implant.

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  07:02:52 AM  Show Profile
I think I would check for lice/mites. I might be inclined to say they maybe anemic due to lice/mites then the stress of molting. D-earth is a good cure and wood ash to allow them to roll and dust themselves in is also a help. You can make a dusting pan out of an open litter box or just throw it on them or loose in their pen. Good luck

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

rebeccah
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Rebecca
Snow Hill NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  4:58:15 PM  Show Profile
I am so sad, I lost three hens tonight and have no idea what happened to them. I let them out to range freely, as I do every day at some point, and they did not come back with the others. I have been out this evening looking and calling and cannot find them. Now I am afraid to let the others out to range freely. I have seen fox, but can a fox take 3 chickens at once? I so discouraged and sad and hate to go to bed without them in the coop. Have any of you lost chickens by letting them range freely?

Rebecca
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca, have you checked in the trees? That's where alot of mine go to roost. And on the fence. I hope nothing got them. Hopefully they are way up high in a cedar tree. I hope you find them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  05:08:53 AM  Show Profile
I had a huge scare the other day. I went in feed everyone and did my head count thing - one was missing. I paniced and looked everywhere. Just when I was on the brink of crying - I notice a plastic box that I use in the corner of their roost to catch their droppings was flipped over and covered with pine shavings. I went to pick it up and guess who was under the box??? Yes, the missing chicken.. He was so thankful to see me and I him. So do check everywhere you never know where they get to. I had one fall in a window well once and while I was hanging laundry in the basement she tapped on the window and scared the stuffings out of me...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile
crazy chickens grace. so glad he was ok. they can get into some places for sure. so glad they are doing good now. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

rebeccah
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Rebecca
Snow Hill NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  3:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Well that was the strangest thing- they spent the night somewhere (who knows where) but they were all home when I got home from school today with my little boys. I was happy to see all three of them had safely returned. I think they may have spent the night in the cedar trees behind my house like you mentioned Kris. I did check there for them though and did not see them. Grace, I had a chicken get stuck under a pot that had overturned in the coop. Luckily my husband went out to check on things before bed and found her. She was pretty stressed. When you have so few (I have only 6), you can become pretty attached to them. Lucy, my buff orphington, is so sweet. Happy they are all accounted for right now,
Rebecca
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page