farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  05:38:45 AM  Show Profile
Meg, I'm sorry to hear about Eleanor! :( Never fun to have those surprises in the coop.

Michele the kittens are so cute, and I love the names!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  06:28:10 AM  Show Profile
oh i am sorry for you. hope the rest of your day will be better. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  07:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Meg, I'm so sorry to hear about Eleanor Roosevelt. Do you think it was due to the heat? I keep counting chickens every time I go outside these days just to make sure everyone looks like they are hanging in there.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  07:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks farmgirls, I knew you would understand the feeling of loss of my favorite chicken. Florida has been the same temp. as usual this summer, we are surrounded by water so that kind of stabilizes our heat and humidity. I don't think it was the heat that did Eleanor in. She hatched with a wry tail (egg from Murray McMurray) which is a genetic defect. The last several months she has had labored breathing like a blockage in her throat. It wasn't an impacted crop. Lately she had been acting a little better and just yesterday she was happy and running to me for blueberries! I'm glad she had a good final day.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Meg, so sorry to hear about your hen. Sounds like she had a great life though and a happy last day with you. Sometimes there's just not a thing we can do. It's just their time to go.

And mine are already driving me crazy! They have scratched up a few impatiens. They are getting into the cat food. They are eating the goat grain. But they are happy chickens. And laying so many eggs! I got 6 from the nest box I put back on the front porch of the little house the other day. Taht was always a favorite spot for them. And these are from the hens from out back. The hens up front lay in the other nest boxes. I know it's helped alot them being out, but why do they have to get into everything and make such a mess?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  12:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I finally got around to putting up fruit tree netting & posts in the back yard for the inhouse injured hens & boy have they enjoyed the free ranging space...but with the 3 days of 100+ degrees they all ran right back into the house to get in front of the fans!!! lol today its a wonderful 79 desgrees & they go in & out...I leave the screen door open for them even though it means flies in the house...I can live with that since I want them happy....love watching the chicken happy dances!...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  05:39:27 AM  Show Profile
I think I have a PMSing hen this morning. Well, probably 3. The only Barred Rock was out there beating up on everyone that got too close. Even Harper, the tom turkey. She had him up against the fence a few times. The roo had to come calm her down. Then a few of the Buffs starting fighting each other. I don't know if they do this all the time. But I have moved my stanchion out there so I don't have to lead the goats to all the way across the yard to the milk room while they are up front. So I see alot while I am milking. Maybe she's always moody. Silly hen.

Michele, you are something else! You let the chickens come in your house? And the flies too? I would be absolutely crazy if I did that. As much as I hate flies. I am constantly with a fly swatter in my hand. I have one in every room.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:59:28 AM  Show Profile
well today that red chow chow was back...he killed 5 of my girls months ago...today he tore thur a fence & lucky for me all but one hen ran back into the house...poor Star, a baby of 4 months was gone, feathers everywhere but I couldn't find her anywhere...but I called & called & clicked my mouth like I do for them & after about 1 hour she came in the house...tail feathers gone & a few wing feathers plus a bloody area on the tail...needless to say i was thrilled...this time I did call the cops on the 911 site so it would be recorded...a nice cop named Scott came out, took all the info & I gave him the chow chows address.....so he went to visit them...Scott said later the animal control woman would get ahold of me but she was out sick today....i was soooo mad cause I thought the owners would do better but they didn't so I am hoping something gets done this time...i have 9 other dogs on the block who were raised around chickens so they never bother mine but this one dog is so mean to people also......
Kristin, I have injured chickens who live in playpens at night in the house as do the two 4 month olds who will eventually go out into one of the coops but I so worry about my limping ones that I can't put them in the coops cause they get picked on....Oh I hate the flies so I have tons of those sticky tape fly strips up but I can more for the chickens...lol....Plus now that I am older I don't seem to mind these things as much as I once did.....:)....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Michele, you are a good woman! I am so sorry about that darn dog. I hope the owners get a fine or something. People should think of others when they have dogs like that. I am so glad we are completely fenced in here. I hope your girl gets over this attack.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:39:51 AM  Show Profile
thank you kristin, Star the one who got her feathers ripped out is actually dong fine...i was surprised at how well she bounced back...today I have them out again, fixed the fence & know that dog will be locked up for a bit until the owners decide to not listen to the cops again... I have minor surgery (old age & female parts..lol.)in less than 2 weeks & my little sis is flying in to stay with me for 9 days so I hope we can put up a heavier fence while she is here for me with a gate...I hve 2 of these beautiful antique light metal fencing panels I got back in 1993 when I lived in Arkansas & I have over the years used them as gates doors...I am ready to use one of them again as one....I have to put in chicken wiring but it doesn't hurt the look of the fencing...if I get it up with her help I will take a pic for you to see.....Waiting now for the eggs to hatch under Ginger & Prudence...should be any day now...set up a large rabbit cage on the floor of the coop so when the babies are here I can move them all down to it....the new baby kittens are growing...Thyme died for some reason, I think she wasn't fully developed as when she died her poo smelled like a rotting animal...so it was something inside her that was bad but Monk, Basil, Sage & Lily are are with open eyes now & nursing whenever Macy will let them :)....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  5:49:40 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about Thyme Michelle! They are all so cute and I don't think anyone cares you put their pictures in here for us to enjoy! Also glad to hear Star is doing ok after that nightmare. I would hate for a dog to get into our coop, or any animal for that matter!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  7:16:19 PM  Show Profile
thank you Ginny for your kind words...Star is back to her normal silly little self....I had 2 new babies hatch late last night or early this morning...Ginger decided they were hers & got off the nest to care for them...so Prudence has about 2 eggs under her now...lol...I had set up a rabbit cage on the floor of the coop & today when I found the new babies I put in baby chick feed & water for them...when I locked the coop up they & ginger were in there...will have to set up another for Prudence when her babies start hatching as the boxes are high off the ground...anyhoo..I named the yellow one sabree-na & the black one Tabitha...am running out of old fashioned names....:)...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  06:42:32 AM  Show Profile
michele you are such a good mama. i am always smiling at your ways. your chickens have a mighty fine home. a friend brought her little hen here. she is crowing and taking the lead in the flock. there is no boy. so the town neighbors would not like it. so she brought daisy duke here. we will see if she crows here. silly girl hope all the chickens are safe and clucking. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  1:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh hens I had a very hard night...I lost 3 of the kittens, 2 were gone when I checked on them & one died in my hands....the vet won't let me do anything more than I am doing for the fleas, I can't spray the house, cause even if I let it air out the spray will be in everything including the walls & will hurt or kill the kittens...so I am down to one & though Monk is very fat & content I am worried he too will go...the fleas & mosquitoes are so bad this year cause of all the rains & I just can't keep up on it all...I even dusted them all with the 'D' earth hoping that might help....please keep your fingers crossed Monk makes it ...on a lighter note the chickens are doing great & the 2 new babies are good as well..Poor Prudence hasn't hathed any yet but Ginger is happy playing Momma again.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Naturegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sandra
Murray Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  1:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried an herbal tea made from rosemary to help combate the fleas. The recipe is as follows: 5 cups water 2 cups dried rosemary; heat to just boiling and let steep for 30 minutes; let cool and strain out rosemary. You can make half this recipe also. I use this on my cat and dog to help with the fleas. It will kill the fleas and not hurt you animal. You can either dip kitty in the solution or take a rag the solution and wipe them down. This won't hurt Mama if she licks the baby. Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  2:14:44 PM  Show Profile
what a wonderful thing to learn today. thanks so much. so easy and i can remember this. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Naturegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sandra
Murray Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  2:50:57 PM  Show Profile
I got the recipe wrong. That should be 5 quarts water to 2 cups rosemary. Sorry about that, I should have looked at the recipe before writing down on here. But it does woke.
Go to Top of Page

LightGreenThumb
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  2:56:56 PM  Show Profile
In our current house, my chickens are pretty close to our house and back deck. Does anyone have any ideas on how keep the flies down? The feed store wants to sell me a spray.
Thanks,

Elizabeth <><
Farmgirl #3091

Simplicity is Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile
elizabeth I use the fly strips that are really sticky & that stuff you mix up & put in a bag...they use it in the military cause it works so well....not the greatest of smells if you have it too close to the windows but if you can hang it at the far side of the deck it should help you greatly...we have had so much rain then sun & heat then more rain that the flies are out of control here I have been able to keep them out of the coops well but the house is over run with them at times...I just pretend i am not there or I would go completely batty over it...but I have the fly strips in the dining room area near the back door & though they look so ugly they have helped 10 fold in getting them...so I put up with them as well.....
Sandra thank you so much for the info on the rosemary....i did put one drop of advantage on the last baby Monk & he is doing really well..I also bought a bag of cedar chips that I placed in the area he is bedding un-opened so the smell is there but the kitten can't get into it...& can move if it bothers him...right now he is sound asleep about 12 inches from the bag lookin' as cute as can be....got him to lick up all animal milk last night in a tiny dish...few mishaps with the nose but did very well for only 2 weeks old....he is nursing but I wanted to give him the extra minerals ect to help him fight any fleas ect...so far so good...I think I have lost my mind as I am an self learned herbalist since 1995 & I totally forgot about the rosemary & its benefits for that.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Naturegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sandra
Murray Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  5:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I've been spraying vinegar and water mixture around my doors to keep flies out. So far its working. A few get through, but most don't, even the wasps and bees are staying away. Just have to get used to the smell.
Go to Top of Page

suzifire
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Suzi
Denton N.C.
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  5:57:50 PM  Show Profile
If you only are looking to get 3 or 4 , just go to your local farm supply store...or even Tractor Supply, you can have the great fun of chosing your own babies...I agree that Buff Orpingtons are a great starter chicken. So friendly & gentle & great layers. They will go broody pretty quickly though, so make sure you remove the eggs daily. You will LOVE having chickens....Best decision I ever made.

"I want a world that is sane & just & clean & I am willing to do my part to make it so"
Go to Top of Page

LightGreenThumb
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  6:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas to control the flies. I will give a try.

Michele, glad to hear your chickens are doing well.

Blessings,

Elizabeth <><
Farmgirl #3091

Simplicity is Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  9:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Just a note to let you know I have 3 more babies hatch so the 2 mommas & 6 babies are doing great....My little sis is up here from AZ to help me after my minor surgery a week ago & she has got to see all the new babies & baby kitten.....tomorrow we are putting up 4 ft high horse fencing that will hopefully keep that mean chow chow out...we are going to bury it a bit in the ground as well...I am taking down the 5 man tent & putting in one of the child plastic playhouses for them as a shelter....plus a few other toys...I got these cool heavy large plastic cubes that kids can climb in that are different colors that I hope the 'kids' will jump up on or nest inside if they want while they are outside.....so even though I have no real children I have a playground for my chickens out there :)....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  1:15:48 PM  Show Profile
new news on that chow chow...the owners are moving...I think they actually got kicked out because of the problems with their dog....3 other neighbors have either gone up there or called animal control so I think the landlord had had enough...but the horse fencing is up so I am happy that my kids are now safer from any animal that comes along......the 6 new babies are growing & just too cute for words....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:09:49 PM  Show Profile
That's great news, Michele. I hope whoever moves in doesn't have dogs now.

Last night I went to check on the 10 little chicks in the coop. I have been letting them out during the day. They are in there by themselves. They were all fine last night. I went in this morning to feed them and there is one laying there dead. Looked like for a long time too. Just the neck had been chewed on. I have no idea what could have happened. Of course the coop is not tight so something could have squeezed under. I did find a little mouse in between some bricks a few days before. Do you think a big mouse could have gotten it? The rest look fine. I went ahead and put them all back in the big cage for now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page