sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:19:49 PM  Show Profile
hi there barb, spalding lab has a small fly that lays its eggs in the fly larvae. it kills the fly. you put around edges of poopy areas. i use diametacious earth in my nest boxes and in their dust bath area. i also use pine shavings on floor. i buy used shop vacs at sales. i suck the sgavings up. i clean the nest boxes this way also. i use cedar essential oil in nest boxes yo repel mites etc. shaving are light easy to clean up and degrade well in compost pile. i HATE straw for coop and nest boxes. it does not absorb moisture. moisture in a hot coop is bad. shavings help keep it dry. i hope this helps happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  06:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Hens

Sherrye I have not tried Spalding Lab's, heard about them but not tried them. With all the rain we are now covered in flies - where do you purchase them? Planet Earth?? Would love to know.

Also, I use a combination of straw and shavings - but you are saying it will keep the coop cooler if is it all shavings - Was going to clean the coop today and lay new straw but I guess I should switch to all shavings for the summer. Well, thanks for giving me a reason not to be in the heat!!!!

Here is my question now that I have helped the Roo's go back to God my hens are much happier but I am still concerned about all the feathers the Roo's pulled on the girls. How long will it take to grow them back and what if anything should I put on their skin so they are not harmed by flies and bugs

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  07:13:47 AM  Show Profile
good morning back to you. i just typed in spalding lab and the site come up. you can order through them directly. i believe they work. i like shavings since they are easy to clean up.my thought on your girls is this. maybe the girls are moulting? are they still laying eggs regularly? i have a few with some feathers gone. they do fine and the feathers grow back. if i think the girls need it i feed suet or lard fat from my butchering. my dad used to hang the bacon rind in the coop. he said they needed the fat. it helps them to get what they need and stops the pecking. 2 days ago they had beef liver etc from my butchering a cow. they love the meat. most of mine are locked in a yard. they cant go find bugs so i provide the fat for them. it takes a lot of protein for them to grow a feather and lay an egg. just what we do here, hope it helps grace. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  07:24:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherrye = I will go and look that up... As for the meat - they get to roam and dig up bugs which they have tons to pick from but I do give suet in winter I thought it might be too much in the Summer. Around here livers, hearts and such are so very expensive.. I will put on my thinking cap but any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, it seems I've got a hen that isn't going to make it much longer. She was OLD when I got her, and that was two years ago. It's almost like she's paralyzed on one side, and her comb is really purple looking-she's not being active hardly at all. Should I have my DH go out there and end it for her? Or should I try to do anything? I put some fresh hay and put her in the box for comfort near water and food, but, I don't know what else to do!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:08:00 PM  Show Profile
oh mrgan i am so sorry this is happening. i do think she is suffering if her comb is the wrong color. i think it shows lack of oxygen to her outer parts. i would give her a big love and let her go rest. its hard to be old and sick. very sad. maybe someone else will have another idea. so many choices and decisions in farm life. i will be thinking of you. i will carry you in my heart today and say a prayer for what you are doing to be right for all. hugs and love sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:50:56 PM  Show Profile
:( This is so hard.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  6:12:04 PM  Show Profile
wow everyone has been busy since I was last on...lol....I too, had tried the straw in the coop & it was awful since it wouldn't obsorb the moisture so now I do a heavy dusting of the 'D' earth on the floor then put the bedding hay I have over that...so far so good....the shavings are wonderful & I use them in the basement coop as it has cement floors & with all the rain the wall/floor moisture is bad & the shavings do the best job helping it dry out.....I have one friend who puts nothing on her coop floors since her kids are out all day but I have noticed her hens suffer from bumble foot more often from jumping down on the hard wood floors....I hate bumble foot & try to prevent it since it can get really bad & the infection of it can spread to the others on the roost.
on the older hen with the purple comb..is it purple blue or deep purple? blue purple indicates low oxegen in her system & its humane to put her down...deep purple can indicate overheating but with the non-movement of one side sounds like the poor thing had a stroke...again putting down is humane....overheating can cause strokes/heartaches/seazures in birds...WARNING NEXT PART GRAPHIC!!!!!!!
now this may upset some but either case you can still eat this bird if wanted....plus by doing this you can look to see what her heart/liver ect look like...are they overly fatty? heart puffing & not firm?...these will give you clues to what her system was going thur...overly fatty around heart & liver indicates a diet may need to be changed....less sugar...ie corn....more protein...puffy heart is a genetic trait that may run in the other chickens from the same mother...white string stuff inside body cavity means worms & needs more apple cider vinegar (capful in gallon of water daily) to help get rid of any that might be in other hens/chickens you have...
I hope this helps...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Michele, thank you so much for these pointers! I'm hoping she's still hanging in there, I'm going to check on her soon. I'm sure this hen is OLD. Like at least 3 or 4, so I don't know if you'd eat them that old. Do you?

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes you can eat them at any age but she would be better as a soup bird as they get tough after a yr or so....I hope she is better though cause chickens can live to 15! so actually shes a youngin'....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  09:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, she didn't make it through the night. I found her in there yesterday, dead. :( I've saved my two cats that had problems, but I couldn't save my hen. :( I'm not sure really how old she was. I had her over 2 years, and I got her as a full grown hen from my uncle-in-law. Kinda sad. I laid her down out among the weeds away from the barn. She always hung out there when she was out ranging.

Edited by - walkinwalkoutcattle on Jul 19 2011 09:35:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  3:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Megan, you gave her 2 quality years and tried your best to keep her comfortable in her last days. Good Job! I know it's hard to lose an animal when you don't know exactly what is making her sick. I had 2 young hens die for no apparent reason last year. It was so frustrating!

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  4:07:11 PM  Show Profile
So hot here the chickens are dropping over dead-have lost 12 already-put a fan & water spray in their pen hoping it will help. We just bought 10 new ones the other night also. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

letpeoplewonder
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Leslie
Greensboro NC
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  08:33:52 AM  Show Profile
i feel like a ridiculous failure. last week, a hawk attacked my sweetheart, Attila the Hen. she did not recover. this morning, i discovered that someone stole my chicken feeder as well as my sweet buff orpington, Picka Lil Bit. i just finished filing a police report because my neighbor (a cop) told me to when i asked him this morning if he had seen anything yesterday/today. *sigh* now my first flock, ever, is down to two misbehaving americaunas who don't want anything to do with people. part of me wants to restock, but the other just wants to wait until we have a farm and better situation. i'm glad they didn't rob our house, but i am so frustrated right now. looks like we've all had some dramatic developments on the chicken channel...

why can't i be more conventional? people talk, people stare, so i try. but that can't be, because i can't see, my strange little world just go passing me by...so let people wonder...
Go to Top of Page

Mea
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Margarette
Manitowoc WI
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  08:38:44 AM  Show Profile
letpeoplewonder: Oh, I'm so sorry about your challenges. Hopefully, you'll be able to resolve some of the troubles.

Farmgirl #1732

Knitter, canner, charmingly acerbic mom to 3 XYs, and full-time English teacher--desperately wants 2 chickens
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:04:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm keeping a close eye on mine with this heat too. So far, they've been doing well, but I'm keeping them in the shade and giving them fresh water daily. I'm a little worried because the six of them are starting to get quite cramped for space in the tractor that was so spacious when they were young. We are almost done with their coop expansion project, but won't be able get time to stick the two parts together until this weekend so I'm hoping they will tolerate bumping into each other for just a few more days and won't get too hot in the tight space.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  6:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Ok you hens with hens/chickens suffering from the heat...go grab your empty milk jugs with lids, plastic juice containers with lids...fill them 3/4 full of water & freeze...do enough that you have 2 days worth...first day put out 1/2 of them in shaded areas of the run & in the coop in open areas..throw back in freezer at night & then next day you have the other 1/2 that is ready...keep doing this until the heat breaks
.if you are running a fan in the coop put the jugs in front of the fans.....also freeze open containers 1/2 full of water & when ready grab them pour enough water to nearly fill the container & set those in shaded open areas for the chickens to drink out of....

this will greatly help as the chickens will get near the iced bottles where it will be cooler for them...this works well for rabbits, turkeys ect....even cats & dogs love the iced water you set out for them to drink....

Also quit feeding them corn or sugar like in fruits right now, it hats them up as they work it through their system...though if you freeze the fruit before you give it to them that will be alright...I have frozen apple peels that I put up in the freeze last fall just for the summer hot days...

someone stealing your chicken makes me sooo mad...that is just so cruel.....I built my coop inside my shop just for this reason so I can lock the shop up & now one can get in with out breaking down the door....& the coop doors to the run even a child can't get through.....I am thankful I did this as 3 days ago someone had been in the run..I have a latch that you have to use to get into it & it was open as well as the run door....so someone was up to no good but they didn't get anything thank goodness.....its a shame that people have to take what is not theirs....the hawk at least did it for food & its it nature to do this...though it doesn't make it any easier to accept....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  2:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Good point Michele! I've just been letting mine free range and find some shade, but I'll definitely start doing that-I almost thought about going and getting some big ice blocks for my horse! The water in the trough is even getting hot! AND IT'S IN THE SHADE!

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile
today here it was 95 degrees which is not common up here in the north part of massachusetts...& 85 in the house!....Since my big coop is actually built in the shop with a door to the run I decided to take one of the inside doors facing the shop area & open it & cover it with heavy coated chicken wire...it was over 100 degrees in the shop while I was doing this so I know the coop had to be nearly as hot even with the fan...so as long as its this hot they will have one open chicken wired fencing door so hopefully it will draw some of the cool night air from inside the shop into the coop....while I was working on it I could feel a wonderful breeze coming in thur the run door...the indoor kids who have the tent & moveable run i let part of them in the yard & they all ran into the house to get in front of the fan!...lol....I had 4 hens & my tiny rooster spread out on the floor in front of it just as happy as can be...eventually when the sun was almost down they did go out for a bit but all came in ready for bed with no fuss.....I am hot but I took 2 fans down there for them as I can cool off easier than they can....so all the moveable fans right now are being used on the chickens but I do have ceiling fans or I might have to kick macy (cat) out of the cool tub so I can take a cool shower...lol....this type of weather is so dangerous for the animals thats why I do the milk jugs of ice & plastic containers with 1/2 ice & then water.....Good idea on the ice block for the horses water...yeah their water tanks can get so hot & you kow they ar miserable drinking that hot water.....I used to have one of those huge floor freezers that i would take mop buckets & fill with water & use them for my goat...horses & colt I had....they ended up rolling them on the ground chasing them & licking them...funny to watch but they sure enjoyed it on the hot days.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  6:41:51 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for all the lost and stolen chickens. It is just too hot for anything right now. All over the country. I just let all mine out the last few days. I can't run fans and all that. So they are out in the shade and free ranging once again. I have all the tomatoes I want canned so if they do get out in the garden they can have a few. And I am going to stop feeding them scratch. It was getting very expensive feeding cooped up chickens. And NO eggs much either. So out they go. On their own. They are SO happy too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:39:02 PM  Show Profile
Today it is 99 degrees & very very humid,.....I have 2 fans going in the big coop & the in house chickens who I let out decided they preferred being in front of the 2 fans in the dining room instead....I have the screen door open for them just for this reason...I had a small moveable run with a 5 man tent set up for them but yesterday i used tree fruit netting & post to fence in part of my backyard for them to free range back there...I so wanted at least some of my kids to be able to wonder but in a safe area but with this heat they have decided to stay in the house even though I want them out...lol...thank goodness the floor is wood & easy to clean up.....I am worrid about the 2 broody hens as they are in the same box so keep checking on them...so far so good & I think having the 2nd fan in there is a big help plus the 2nd door inside the shop is now open with chicken wire over it to help with the heat & to get more cooler air in there......may have to get the jugs of ice out for the evening so the coop is cool tonight as its over 100 in there when I was in there last....All the new kittens are in the bathtub...Macy started picking them up last night & putting them in there so I put the rest in there for her...they have a towel to lay on but they all moved to the cool tub part...I have the exhaust fan going on in there as well....& me...i am sitting in a hot room (no fan)typing this...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:12:21 AM  Show Profile
It sure does make a differnece when hens are free ranging. And happy. For mine anyway. I let them all out a few days ago. I got 6 eggs from the front hens. And 3 were from the Americana hens. They have not laid but a few since I have had them here. They are going into the other coop with the metal nest boxes. And the Buff hens from out back are laying in the cat room and the milk room. There's one in there right now. So I am glad I let them all out. And I am not giving them any scratch or laying feed now either. Just scraps when I have them. They are not too happy about that but they are able to eat other things now. So I'll be saving alot of money not buying feed for them. It's so expensive now and they do not need corn in summer.

So I am finally getting a good amount of eggs and might have enough to start selling again. And if they get in the garden, I am not stressing out about it. I can share a few tomatoes because I am about tired of them anyway rigth now. I have canned tomatoes til I am tired. I have enough. And am giving them away too. So I am ok with them out there now.

Hope everyone's chickies are staying cool and happy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile
I just bought 82 feet of electric poultry fence netting. This will allow my chickens to get out of the confines of their tractor and roam safely. Not a huge space, but better than 8' X 6'. Even though we move the tractor every couple of days, it still ssems too unnatural for them. The fence should arrive early this week...can't wait...the girls will be so excited!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile
good for you Paula, yes I think you will make the kids happy to be able to roam just a bit & they won't even notice that is a small space...boy will they have fun
Since I put up the tree netting & posts my kids have had a great time exploring the back yard & I no longer am afraid of them going into the neighbors yards....the heat wave finally broke today so its only 82 degrees here but I still have the screened door open so they can come in & get in front of the fans if they want....the 2 fans in the big coop has helped so much for that bunch specially with 2 hens broody & not wanting to leave the coop very often...I sure worried about the 2 girls as it was so hot in there & they are sharing a nesting box....the basement coop stays nice & cool so I don't worry about those kids as they can always lave their run to cool off....the new kittens are in the bath tub....Macy started putting them in there when it got hot so I put the rest of them in there for her...they are getting fat but I have to bathe them every 2 days for the fleas I am using a herbal flea spray mixed with kitten shampoo & it helps but they still get fleas so the vet told me to keep doing this until they can be treated with the stronger stuff....heres a pic of them for you to see...yeah I know this is the chicken site but they are too cute not to share with my hens

Since I name my chickens old fashioned names thought I would name these kids after plants so here is Sage,Thyme,(tiger) Lily, Monk(Monkshood) & Basil
Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  05:35:33 AM  Show Profile
It is a sad morning for me and my little backyard flock. I found my oldest hen, Eleanor Roosevelt, dead in her nesting box this morning. She was 3+ years old, top bitty, and taught me how to be a chicken lover. I am glad I had the opportunity to spoil her rotten!

Michele the kittens are adorable!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page