batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  11:00:00 AM  Show Profile
oh Kristin honey I am sorry one of your babies passed on...this is a tricky question as mice normally don't kill animals but a rat will...what I think happened is the baby just died at no fault of you & the mouse may have decided to try & nibble on it or the other babies pecked at it after it was gone since it wasn't moving......

Your idea of putting them back in a protected cage was a smart idea as they may just be too young to wonder just yet without a momma there to help them. By the way how old are they? If they are still at the stage of fluffy butts they can get themselves in so much trouble..lol...they have no fear & will do things to endanger themselves like wedge themselves behind or under things.....last week or so one of mine got behind the tarp connected to the floor & wall...thank goodness I kept going out there hunting for it & actually bumped it so I had to tear out that section of the tarp to get to it or it would have died cause it couldn't figure out how to get back out....like I tell everyone just do what you feel is right with your 'kids'...thats always the best.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  11:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Michele, they are about 6-8 weeks old. The rest are fine. I'm glad you found your chick. They do get into some crazy situations. I had one of my young hens wedged up underneath the cage trying to get to the feed that falls out of the feeder. Silly bird. She kept scratching out got under further an could not get back out. That's what greed does to them. I have no idea how long she'd been there like that but she was ever happy to be out again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  2:16:10 PM  Show Profile
well I found out that the chowchow & people did not move, it was another family up there that left so friday I am out in the shop & hear the chickens go crazy...ran out & there is that dog jumping over my fence to get away....Porgie & Star are gone.....that man had the nerve to drive down here with that dog & ask me how I knew it was his dog.....yes I was a good hen, no yelling, cussing or being nasty but did tell him to expect a cop to visit him & walked away.. After 3 hours Star & Porgie showed up thank goodness not injured but happy to be home....had so many problems getting a shotgun I ordered a crossbow that day & it should be here within the week...the cop who talked to me went up & told the guy I could kill his dog the next time it showed up on my property & if they were there they would shot it...so I have no idea if this man will listen since he has not listened to them or animal control as of yet but I think if it shows up with an arrow in it he might think twice of letting it run free.....I just don't understand this at all...how hard is it to buy a led rope & attach the dog to that...I have one that is still up from when I had my dogs...which I might add makes a great 2nd clothesline now.....I have tried to do everything right so my chickens don't get into others yards, fencing to protect them & now I still have to deal with this jerk.....who thinks his mean chowchow has the right to go where it wants & kill anything it wants......yeap I am on a pissy mood today :)....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  2:26:43 PM  Show Profile
Michele,

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Our neighbors let their dogs run and it worries me about our chickens. I'm more worried about our cats because they are not safely sequestered behind an electric fence. One of their dogs was in the process of running down and tackling one of my cats the other day not 20 feet away from me!! I can't believe the dog didn't see me. I ran him off, and the cat was unharmed, but dogs on the loose are not a good thing at all.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  3:54:20 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if someone could help me: I have 6 chickens, 2 orpingtons, 2 leghorns, and 2 auracanas, They are all laying except for one auracaca, does anyone know why she wouldn't be by now? the others have been laying for a month or more. They all seem healthy. At least she's not crowing yet. We cant have roos here. I sure hope thats not the problem, but she looks the same as the other one except her color is a little different.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  07:05:25 AM  Show Profile
oh my michele, it is hard when neighbors do not care about where their dogs go. i so hope you have it figured out today. i would be very upset if dogs were after my stock. sending hugs sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  11:48:28 AM  Show Profile
thank you Sherry for the kind words...I bought & got in today a hand held crossbow with 8 inch arrows just for that dog....it was out again within 2 days after it was in my yard...I hate having it come to me shooting it but my chickens are my pets as well as give us eggs. Each is named, most I can pick up & love & all are spoiled so I hate when people think their animal has the right to do what it wants...I hate to think of the day it shows back up & I have to shoot it but I will....
Barb, some hens just take longer before they lay..is she the last on the pecking order? that can affect her laying as well as she isn't getting as much feed as the others so she is lacking in protein & carbs ect that help her get into the laying mod.....everyone says they should start around 4 months old but I have had hens that waited more than 6 months to lay....so try not to fret & lets hope she is not a he...if she is top hen she may crow even though she is not a rooster...the only way to know shes not a rooster if she should crow is she will not do the happy dance & try to mate with the others...if the happy dance shows up you have a roo.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Michele, Thanks for the info. We'll hope for no happy dance.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  07:24:49 AM  Show Profile
michele wanted to see how its going today. my friend and i were saying its hard to get stuff done carrying a bow. so sorry you have to do this. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  11:17:42 AM  Show Profile
hi Sherrye, things are fine so far...the crossbow I got is actually a longer version of a pistil with a self cocking bow string...I have it in the shop right where I can get to it fast & it has a safety so I can keep it cocked until I use it...yeah it sucks that I have to go to this extreme because these kids (in their 30's) have no respect for anyone.....anyway thank you so much for asking & hopefully I will never have to use the crossbow...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  06:32:37 AM  Show Profile
when i was a youngster i had one of those cross bow gun type. i was a good shot with it. they made them illegal in oregon. now i have not shot a gun for a few years. i am so out of practice. yes i hope you never have to use yours. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  10:03:03 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye up here you can not hunt wild game unless you are handicapped with them but you can use them on animals that are in your yard & cause a threat...I grew up in Klamath Falls Or thur my high school years ect so I know where you are...:)...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

EdenFarm
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Erin
Germantown WI
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  07:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Hello All - The weather is turning here too. I'm trying to get the coop in good shape for the cold weather. I already have one (red) heat lamp hanging and am wondering if I should hang a second? Should I hang the heat lamps over coop floor or above where they roost? This is my first winter with my 8 hens (I got them as chicks this past spring) The coop isn't very big, about 12'x12' and 7' tall. We get temperatures here down to -20 and colder. I remember once coming across a heat light bulb that was blue. It's suppose to be better for night/sleep? Do any of you have that? Do any of you use another type of heater for your coop? One more question - do any of you feed your chickens flax? I know eggs in the grocery store sometimes "state high in omega 3" which I know happens naturally in eggs but was wondering if their diet can affect it too. Thanks in advance for all your advice. It has been so helpful this past summer.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  08:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Erin with your 12 x 12 ft coop i recommend 2 heat lamps, Put one over the roosting area where they can not accidently hit or fly into it & the other over the water/feed area...that one can be closer if they can not hit it but it will help keep the water from freezing during the very cold times plus it will give extra heat to the coop......I have never seen the blue lights but the red heat lamps are suppose to not affect their sleep or resting time.....I got a few of the lizard ceramic heat lamps that have no light but boy do they work..but if you ever use something like them make sure you have the ceramic connector lamp shields as they get so hot they will melt plastic & can cause a fire & use a surge protector to the plug in area.....I do this even with the red heat lamps so if anything goes wrong it shuts every thing down so the chickens are safe.
As for the Flaxseed yes yes yes give that to them...you will notice a big difference in the egg taste & its so healthy for the hens.....Once a week mixed with their feed is enough..too much & you get fishy tasting eggs......I do about 1/4 c to their feed in the morning but in the winter since they get warm stone cut oats I mix it with the oats, wheat germ ect for them once a week....Good luck & remember when you put in your lamps make sure you can go under them without bumping them that are over or near the roost area...can't tell you how many times i did that until i figured it out....lol....needless to say getting hair burnt off smells nasty......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  12:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Michele,

What is in the 7 grain mix that you said you used in a previous post for their winter feed? Is it something like wild bird seed? I finally got around to printing off that post. Also, are stone cut oats the same as steel cut oats?

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  3:02:17 PM  Show Profile
hi paula, i am with a great co-op so I can order 25 or more lbs of thigs..the 7 grain is" hard red wheat, hard white wheat, oats, soft wheat, rye, barley & spelt....with the Rye in it you have to be careful not to give them too much but I only use it at most 2-3 a week for their morning warm meal with the cooked stone cut oats...i like it alot for using in breads as well so i always get 50 lbs..5-10 lbs for me to use with my other flours in the bread the rest for the chickens....It is a high carb type of food but with cold winters I like that they have something that takes time to work thur their system & warms them up while it doing that...plus even if they get a bit pudgy I know by the spring when they are out again they will burn off some of that extra weight. I get mine thur a company called Montana Wheat which is on the web as well....

Yes Stone cut oats are the same as steel cut oats...Thats the way I have always heard it since at one time they used a stone round disc to grind the oats with...like Bobs Red barn still does...
Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  8:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele,

Thanks again for the info. I looked up 7 grain mix and got quite a variety of results, including mixes with rice, which I knew was not the right thing. Do you ever include millet or groats? They seem to each have their own set of nutritional value, but I wasn't sure how beneficial they were to the hens. I've been throwing whole oats, the same I give to the horses, out for scratch and I've noticed they haven't been eating quite as much of their feed, which is a basic chicken layer feed made locally that I get at our local feed store...mostly corn based. I'm not real keen on the idea of a corn-based diet for my chickens.
How in the world do you know if they are getting overweight??? I've got barred rocks, which I understand are big girls anyway. But I don't want to overfeed either.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  07:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi paula....yes there is different 7 grains mixes out there...the one I use that I spoke of above is mainly a bread making grain mix..no rice ect......Oh & yes I bet the hens are loving the whole oats you are throwing out for them & they will eat that over the basic chicken feed cause it taste better to them...try cutting down on that or add the chicken basic feed to the mix that you throw out as scratch......This winter the local made feed with corn will be a blessing...that corn helps warm them up...i am from Missouri (Springfield) so when those ice storms come they will do good with that feed....yeah a corn based feed is tough in your area cause the heat.humidity already makes them hot & then to add corn to that makes them even hotter in the summer....do you have other non-local feed there you can get them just for the summer months?...if not try to get them more greens such as lettuce, grass clippings, dandelions ect...every morning I go out during the spring & summer & pick leafs from those & clover & throw a bunch into the run for them...if I am outside I may do that again during the day for them.....but now that its cooler you don't have to worry so much about the corn in the feed.

as for getting over weight...i can pick up my girls so I know what they weigh by feel...in the winter if you pick them up even off the roost you will notice they are getting a bit heavier...that is normal...survival instincts kick in so their system slows down so the feed takes longeer to go thur so they get all the vits/minerals ect plus it helps put a bit of fat on them for those cold bitter days....the meat breeds do get heavier which is natural but if they are never leaving the area where the feed is, laying in one place all day long until you come up on them & they aren't showing signs of sickness they are getting too heavy...its very hard to get a over weight chicken to that point so I would not worry.....Barred Rocks will get heavy but the Orpingtons are the ones that seem to be in the most danger of being in the danger zone so to speak....My orpingtons thank goodness are not top hens so they stay at a good weight but I do watch them for the way they walk ect just to be on the save side...I also have roosting perches that I don't do as high as recommending to prevent broken legs from the heavier breeds...mine are only 3 ft off the ground...plus in one coop with the orpingtons I have a step ladder that goes up to the perch which they seem to like so they can climb down instead of jumping down...3 yrs & no broken legs .

I hope this has helped you & if ever you are concerned about something with your chickens any of you may email me at Batznthebelfry@verizon.net....if i don't know the answer I will research it for you....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  7:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele, just reading through and my heart is with you on the ordeal with the jerk neighbor and his dogs. We had his brother (to stupid to be a redneck) living across the road from us with his pack of dogs. He let them and his goats all run where and when ever they wanted to. It took many complaints, pictures and more complaints to get some grip on the problem. It was when we started catching the goats and calling animal control and money coming out of his wallet to slow things down. We finally got one police officer who listened to us about the dogs and saw the pictures and complaints that we got action. I carried a pellet gun in my own yard just to protect what little we had. The dogs killed all of my neighbors goats, chickens, a small dog, and cats. Some people need to never own animals. Hope things get settled quietly for you, I'm not one for killing a dog but I won't stand by and let is kill whats mine. Set a trap and catch the dog, hit the owner where it hurts, the wallet.
Go to Top of Page

EdenFarm
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Erin
Germantown WI
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele'

Thank you once again for your advice. I'm heading out to the feed store this morning to see what they have to outfit the coop.
I did not read up on what has been going on at your farm until after I sent my message. I'm sorry you are having so many issues with your neighbors dog.
I hope the latest visit from the police got through to him. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions when you have so much going on. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Erin
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:49:36 AM  Show Profile
wondering how you are today michele?

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele,

Thank you once again for the wealth of information about feeding my girls!! They like to do crazy chicken races around and through the coop, so I guess that is their way of keeping their weight down. I would just die if one of them broke a leg or neck from a fall. They have a ramp that goes up into their "loft" and their roosting bar is about 1 inch off the floor, but they all hang on tight like it was 6 foot high!! We try to give them any veggie remains from our dinner preparations that we feel is safe and palatable for them too, so they get some garden fresh goodies in addition to grains. Tonight will be spaghetti squash pulp and seeds!! I'm sure they will have some good things to say about that.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherry I am doing good thank you...its been pouring rain here so haven't seen that dog around lately..good thing as I got the crossbow now...lol
Oh Paula I just know you will have happy chickens when they get ahold of that spaghetti squash....mine adore it so each fall if I have none in the freezer I get quite a few just to cook up for them!.....Tell you how bad I am I will heat it up & add olive oil & a few nice herbs to it for them...have never had any waste thats for sure.......Love that they do the crazy chicken races...bet its cute to watch...That ramp sounds great & its cool that they have their own loft! Those chciks have it good...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  2:08:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele, I am sort of a new comer, but I have started following for all the wisdom you gals have. My question is when I got my chickens last month from a known breeder of 25+ years, he said not to use shavings because they may eat them and won't be able to digest them. I read where so many of you use shavings so I'm taking it that they are safe for use. Please advise.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  09:51:36 AM  Show Profile
hi honey...yes shaving with new babies is a toughy as they don't know that its not food so they try to eat it...best to use hay or stray & put the shavings under that as a extra absorbing layer....if they are newly hatched you can get away with doing it as they learn quickly where the food is & not mess with the shaving but I have found if they are older they just don't know & since they peck at everything they tend to eat it if its small...& yes they can't break down the wood as it goes thur their system......I still do shaving completely in my basement coop but the old girls down there are used to them...now in my coops with youngins i do the layer of shavings then hay or straw over that....if he shaving do get uncovered they tend to not mess with it since they are seeing bits & pieces of it when they scratch around & now know its not food....also if you do use shaving only...make sure the feed area is clear of them so they aren't getting it with the feed on the coop floors....I keep a bit of hay around the feed area so if they do scratch around it they aren't getting anything bad...but shavings are a good bedding since it wicks up the moisture quickly, easier to get out of the coop while cleaning, compost fairly quickly but just watch your kids...if you see they are eating it all the time...increase their feed since they are still hungry & looking for food.....hope this helps you honey...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page