CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:49:08 AM  Show Profile
I know Kris. We seem to have more than our share this year. I want to blame all the ticks, snakes, frogs and deer on the fact that we haven't been living there but I think It must just be a banner year for critters. I think the warmer weather has them on the move too. Great topic as I get ready to drive out there... Think I'll wear my tall boots today.
I don't know about clipping wings. Ladies?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  10:15:11 AM  Show Profile
the best for keeping them not flying is to get them off balance...so clip one wing but take those feathers down as far as you can when you clip them...so that means all the long ones....now I say that cause I had one woman who was going to cut all the wing feathers off one side...even the little ones...so the wing would have been completely bare.....you don't have to do that...lol..plus its an area that other chickens would go for....thank goodness I caught it in time & could tell her no we don't want to do that...:) & Megan since you live in Kentucky I know you have snakes...hopefully its just a big ole king/black snake that has decided you have a nice spot to come & eat.....is your coop up off the ground...on cement...wood floors? yeah I know lots of questions...but I ask for a reason.....on cement they are getting in thur the walls somehow...on wood floors they can get in thur the floor or walls.....they will even get in thur the roof area & vent areas....so if you can take a flashlight out there during the day & check for an small cracks, splits, gags ect in the walls, ceiling/roof & floors....for the roof if you can go out at night with someone you go inside with the flashlight & aim it at the roof/walls in different areas & ask the outside person if they see any light coming thur...if they do then those are areas you need to seal up with wood or close set wire mesh....this will help you also with mice, rats, minks, wessels ect that are small & can get in as well.....You would think by now I should just write a book on chickens...lol.....have a great day everyone...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  06:06:59 AM  Show Profile
michele that is a good idea with the flashlight at night. something got our baby chick yesterday. so mom has one left. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

EdenFarm
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Erin
Germantown WI
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  04:58:05 AM  Show Profile
I have 8 laying hens, actually pullets (2 months old) and I have a couple of questions for those who've had chickens for awhile. It's their evening routine I concerned about.
We have a nice coop with a completely enclosed run including a top and bottom - all heavy wire fencing and since it's warm out I'm wondering if I can just leave their chicken door open to help with air flow.(There is a heavily screened window on the opposite side of the coop.)I've tried it once and found them piling in the corner of the run. The other question is about piling inside. When the evening are going to be warm I turn off the heat lamp that's hanging in the coop but I've found them several times piling in the corner where the human door is and yet they have a really expansive roost that they sit on at other times of the day. It's warm in the coop because it's warm outside. Do they need a light at night? Should I replace the heat light bulb with a regular light bulb? Why aren't they using the roost at night when it's so warm?
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  11:06:45 AM  Show Profile
Erin, I have the same question as you. Mine all pile behind the trash can full of feed. The temp is around 50 and its not cold, but they are not using their roosts at night, not are they going outside during the day when I open the chicken door. I have spread out food, they will eat off the ground, then run back inside. I thought my hens must be developmentally slow or something. Somebody help?
Go to Top of Page

Naturegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sandra
Murray Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  3:07:34 PM  Show Profile
My little chicks have gone to their new home and are loving it. I really enjoyed doing this. It brought back happy memories of my very small farm that I first lived on here in Western Kentucky in the early 70's.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  6:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Ok Barb & Erin....hopefully I can help...with the 2 month olds they will still get cold in the nights as they will still have some down on them plus the piling is also a security thing that gives them comfort at that age....they are still in the baby stages until they start to lay & they will seek out each other to be close when sitting still....So do not worry about this as its normal & some breeds will do it longer than others...as for opening the coop at night for air flow that is a tricky one....If they are piling up in a corner of the run that could be dangerous when other animals are out & about at night....Also Chickens have a higher body temp than we do..around 104 or so...even if its warm to you it may not be to them & heat rises so they may be getting a chill so they may still need the heat lamp for a while longer.......now on to the roosting questions....the roosting pole is not something all learn right away....sometimes you have to put them on it to teach them that it is there.....if you really are worried about this at night just after they go in to sleep pick up a few of them & put them on the pole next to each other..if you do only one at a time they will just jump off....so do at least 2 together right next to each other.....now if they don't stay on it don't worry some will never use it others will in time....now for the ones who eat outside when you throw food down & then run back in are scared...something outside is upsetting them & they feel safer inside....look around where they would be if outside...is there anything shiny....something moving in the air...even a piece of string can scare them.....tree leaves blowing in the wind...limbs moving....if not then you may have had a wild animal, cat or dog that came by once & scared them so they no longer want to be outside.....last sunday I had a neighbors chowchow dig thur the fencing of my large run & kill 5 of my hens....this whole week the others have been afraid to come out again so I go out with cheerios & sit on a rock inside the run after I open the coop door & throw out cheerios & just sit there making my soft clucking noises to get them out...I will sit there for about 1/2 hour until all are out & comfortable & eating then slowly get up & leave...throwing out more cheerios as I go...I have now gotten them all out again & they will stay out but I had to work at it & they needed to know Momma was close by for a while....anyway girls I hope this helps...:) Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  8:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Michele, Thanks a lot for the info. I will stop worrying about them, they seem happy and healthy, they do jump on the roosts and back down, so I guess they will get the hang of it sooner or later..
Go to Top of Page

letpeoplewonder
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Leslie
Greensboro NC
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:34:33 AM  Show Profile
hi ladies,
this is my first real post! i was finally added to the forum, but a day too late i'm afraid. this is my first year raising chickens. they are still a few months away from laying, but they've been a welcome addition to our family. unfortunately, i had 2 very aggressive americauna's who pecked and tormented a sweet little white barred rock named Ophelia. i separated the two trouble makers, and they learned their lesson after a few weeks at the bottom of the pecking order in a neighbors established flock. unfortunately, Ophelia never recovered from a broken leg (i think a broken heart as well) after being betrayed by those she loved. lessons learned: i can feel sad for life carelessly wasted (even if i plan to harvest the chickens once they've finished laying) and don't name a chicken after a character who has sad ending...
-leslie

why can't i be more conventional? people talk, people stare, so i try. but that can't be, because i can't see, my strange little world just go passing me by...so let people wonder...
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  6:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh Leslie I am so sorry to hear about Ophelia...I take in injured girls so I wish I had been closer to you...I have ones now that limp, have mild seazures ect but I have them in a separate coop & run area so they won't get picked on by the healthy ones....its so hard to see the weaker ones get picked on....but not everyone can do the separate coop/run areas like I do.....I too have all breeds so I have to watch them to make sure they are behaving...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Darcy
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Darcy
Washington
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  1:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Chicken ladies-I have a question about one of my "hen pecked" ladies. Her name is Joan Crawford and she takes the brunt of the pecking order. She is rather bald on the top of her head, behind the comb from being pecked. Not bloody but skin is showing. What can I put on this to facilitate healing? And may be a repellent for the other girls? Would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Chicklettes and Peeplettes.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Darcy if you have a rooster this would be his mating but it sounds like no rooster so you have a poor girl everyone picks on....& they will keep this up as long as there is bare red skin showing alot of the times...but there is this 'no peck' thick goo like stuff you can get thur a chicken company supply or farm supply that carries chicken stuff....I have it & it seems to work...you have to put it on everyday as they will rub it off doing things thurout the day until the feathers come back in for her....if you can't get that go to the drug store & get black tar salve in the medication/bandage area....you need the kind that is black so it sticks good & will cover up the red skin area they are messing with...don't put on so much it drips/melts down into her face but enough to lightly cover the areas black....that way the other hens won't see it...now I can not promise this will stop them from going after her since she seems to be the lowest on the hen pole but it might keep them awasy from her as often...My poor Rosy is the lowest & no matter what i do she get chased now but no longer pecked as much but I have decided since I have another coop with injured kids in it she is going in there in the next few days so hopefully she can have a quiet life...good luck honey...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Darcy
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Darcy
Washington
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  02:17:55 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
Many thanks for the advice, I will try it.
I agree...chickens rule.
Blessings,
Darcy

Chicklettes and Peeplettes.
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Darcy, I have a poor girl that is the low girl in the pecking order also, I named her Polly (like a parrot) because she would get pecked on so bad by one hen in particular that every time I was in the yard and Cinnmon would come by Polly would jump on to my shoulder!!
We kept the trouble maker separated for a while and it seemed to help, until just lately, Cinnamon started on Polly again so I put out a "hit" on her, we are having chicken soup for dinner tonite and there seems to be peace in the coop.

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:25:12 AM  Show Profile
Something got into the hen house over night and I lost 2 of my good layers. We had a hen house that I thought was built very secure but when wildlife is hungry enough I guess they find a way. I moved the other girls to a different house till this can be repaired and set live traps. My hubby said a possum most likely is the culprit
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  3:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Lea I am so sorry you lose some of your girls, I know how hard & painful it is to walk in & see some missing or dead...its funny in a odd way but I was going to tell you some things but then I got an email from Community Chickens.com on chickens & their predators that might help you identify what got to your girls...its called Hawks, wessals or bears..oh my...

It has the way the animals kill so you can know what is in the coop with your girls by what was left or not left.... the area you need to read is down a ways into the article but I honestly think this will help you when it comes to baiting your live traps...so you don't have wonderers coming by & getting into the traps & the real critter not....again I am so sorry...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  6:48:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi again everybody! Been a while...but your stories of disappearing birds reminded me of one story of my own: I started my flock last year with six hens. I raised them from chickhood and they were all laying. One day, I looked outside to see one of our dogs (which we keep in a very large open top dog run) covered in feathers and carrying something white. Yep, one of my white leghorns. Well, I was upset, but not the dogs fault, it is instinct. The chicken just did herself in really. But a week later, my other white leghorn went missing quite suddenly. No trace of her. Not even in the dog pen. I assumed a predator like a oppossum got her and I turned the coop into a fortress with the loving yet pained help of my hubby. Ten days later, we spot a oppossum in the coop. It was my 8 year old and me, so I sent him in to get dad to come with the gun. Meanwhile, I watched the critter. It hid behind a 4-H showbox that was parked right next to my hen area in the coop. Hubby makes it out there and shoots it while behind the showbox. I hate that, but sometimes it is our only way. But I thought I saw another run off somewhere. But we gave up hope of finding it 10 minutes later after searching. Fortunately, my 8 year old was observant. He said "Hey! That lid on the showbox used to be open. I bet the critter's in there!" Before I could warn him not to open it, he flung it open and yelled "Whoa! There's a chicken in here!" I said "WHAT?" "Yep mom, a chicken! And two eggs!" The poor gal had jumped onto the edge of the box and the lid fell and shoved her in! She lived for 10 days without food, water, or sunshine! Plus she laid! She had never made a noise either, because it is beside that box that I fill the feeder at! Thankfully, the girl is in great condition now. She had a few weeks of post traumatic problems, but fully recovered! So don't give up hope ladies! These hens can get themselves into their own trouble too I think!

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  6:50:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh, geez! If I can finally sneak into our front yard when it happens, I will post a great picture. I have a chicken that takes the title "biker chick" a little literally. She likes to roost on my hubby's Harley seat!

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  05:21:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm not in here much at all but I know you can all help me. Today I went to feed my ladies and found one perched next to one of the nesting boxes dead. It looks like she died in her sleep and had been roosting there. She was only a year old. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or should I find a vet and see if there is something she had that the other ladies may have? I'm sadden by this and worry the other 11 ladies may be in trouble. While they aren't "Free range" they do have a 2 huge 12' x 12' x 10' enclosed pens, a 4' x 8' x 8' coop, and yesterday when I mowed I gave them all the green cuttings. These are the first chickens we have had (a little over a year now) and up until this they all seemed fine. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  05:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Oggie, this just sometimes happens & unless you cut her open you may never know...something could have gotten gizzard bound so she couldn't poo...she may have had an infection that just never could be seen by you....& sometimes their hearts aren't developed well & they just die in their sleep...its so hard....I know grass cutting are one of the toughest for them to break down in their gizzard & they end up sometimes with a nest formed of grass in there...but since you just gave that to them that is definitely NOT the problem...that problem can take days or weeks to kill them.....2 things...check her vent area...is there any poo there & what color is it...all yellow or white means a problem with the intestinal area....if you can get her mouth open & smell...is it sour smelling?...she could have had a impacted crop...both things you would not have been able to notice...I do recommend you clean out the nesting box she was in....get rid of any hay, shavings ect & wash it down with vinegar water.....if the others want to use this you can dry it with a hair dryer once all dry sprinkle in some Diatanaous (sp?) earth first then cover with a bit of hay/shaving & sprinkle again with the earth....It sounds like between the coop & the runs they have plenty of room & are getting lots of fresh air.....so just watch the others.....any that seem slower than normal....not eating well...just sitting even when you come up to them...those i would separate from the others...just to watch them...also find their crop areas & gently rub it...is it moving or hard as a rock?..check vent area....is it healthy pink & slightly puffy? are eyes clear, nose clear & not runny.....check under wings for mites....if all looks good, let them be quiet caged up for a few days & start them on a wet chicken feed, oatmeal & baby vit breakfast while they are cages....make sure a capful of apple cider vinegar is in their gallon waterer daily....I notice you are up in my area & if you are having the same weird weather we are I am not surprised you are having this happen...one day ere its near 90 degrees next day its in the 50's & rainy....chickens get sick when they can't get their body temp regulated with this crazy weather...good luck honey...try this first before hunting for a chicken vet....most bird vets don't deal with chickens so you may have to spend a great deal of money whereas I think you will be ok...just sit & watch them ever so often during the day for a few days....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  9:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Michele, I will do all of this tomorrow. David clened the coop today but I will tell him to redo the nest she was by. Again, thanks so much!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  07:16:07 AM  Show Profile
You are so welcome Ginny...I know its so hard when they go like that & its just so confusing & you tend to wonder what YOU did wrong...or blame yourself when even if you had known you couldn't have helped them....I gladly will help you anytime you need it or anyone else with chickens...just remember yu can be the perfect chicken momma & they will still go on you.....I have 2 chicken cemetaries & another one that needs to be done after the dog attack....to ease my pain I plant flowers over them so I don't forget them.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile
We have a pet cemetary too. Not only do we have our furry family members in it, we have friends furry family members! Now, we will add this lady. In fact just yesterday I was trying to figure out where to plant some of my herbs and decided I need to make a big headstone and a fence surrounding it because over the years our sticks marking each grave have disappered and we don't know where anyone is. I have no desire to disrupt any of them.

Here's a strange but true story on that subject. A little long but I need to give you the background.

I met my Aunt only twice in my life and my family had never met her. We talked on the phone and sent mail back and forth but that was it. She started to have health issues in her late 70's and we offered to move her here since she was never married and had no children. Within two weeks my Mom (her half sister) had gone there, packed her up, and brought her to us. Mom of course had been there many times but couldn't take her because of their house being to many levels. She lived with us for 9 years and we all loved her dearly. The entire town loved her actually! She was the sweetest, most polite person, all of 5' maybe and about 95 pounds. She never got angry and never said a bad thing about anyone. When she landed here she was dressed right out of the 1930's I swear! Because it was winter I bought her sweatpants and sweatshirts as she had never worn pants! She thought they were the greatest thing on earth and kept calling them suits. She actually had "good suits" and "every day suits". And while we did buy her all new clothes and real suits, pants, dresses, these where her favorite outfits! She had lived a very sheltered life taking care of my great-grandmother and her real father (not my grandfather).

Anyway, before she died I explained to her that we would have to cremate her and try and get to Seattle (other side of the world to us) to bury her in the cemetary plot she owns next to them. She looked at me and said "Honey, just put me out back with the pets and I'll be happy. This is the best place I've ever lived and you're like a Mother to me!" I just cracked up and about lost it because I never expected that from her! So everytime I think of the pet cemetary I think of her saying "Honey, just put me out back with the pets"! She's actually still with us because we haven't made it to Seattle yet and I keep thinking, well, I should just put her out back with the pets!

Thanks again for all your help, David really appreciated getting the information since they are his babies!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  08:39:21 AM  Show Profile
ginny I would have loved your Aunt....what a wonderful woman to have spend time with you....I understand the ashes bit as my granddad had his 1st wifes urn in the trunk of his car for over 2 yrs...I keep telling my hubby don't you dare do that as he would forget I am in there!...since your Aunt wanted to be with the animals at least put a bit of her out there...cause I know she is watching over you & that would make her very happy...honesty I don't think she'd mind a bit if part of her is in 2 places....:).....the herb garden over the chicken sounds lovely....my neighbor girl gave me 2 yucca plants that will go over the newest cemetary...I think they would like that as it will grow big & be nice shade for them...plus you know how chickens like to hide under big bushes ect...well this way they will always be safe under the yucca.....have a wonderful day & thank you so much for sharing about your aunt.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  07:21:02 AM  Show Profile
what a great story. i would agree with your aunt. i would like the pet cem etary too. it is wonderful you could do this for her. to have her with you for such a long time. it is hard to see them go. i had mom here 11 years. well we have a broody hen in the chicken tractor in pasture. so cute. the tractor is working so far. i may start taking some of my good hens over. a few at a time. i know they will love it. i just am concerned about my sgg production going down from the move. so i think i will move a few at a time. how are all the broody hens doing. we have one mama with 6 babies and one with one baby. hoping for more. i sure appreciate all the knowledge we all have together, like one big smart brain.LOL happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page