kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  5:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Ok, now I have a question. My Americana hen, Hildi, was standing in the corner of the coop just now when I went to feed and gather eggs. She had her wings held out and her beak was open. I walked up to her and got her. It's been SO hot and there is not a very good breeze out there. So I have her in an big wire dog crate outside with some iced electrolytes. I don't know if she has a respiratory infection or was just too hot. I really don't know how old she is but I believe she's more than a few years old. I had gotten her at the auction a few years ago. And she was about laying eggs then.

So any other suggestions would be great. I am looking for some antibiotics. I thought I had some somewhere. I will put her out under a shade tree for the night. She'll get a good breeze and maybe cool off some. My yard is all fenced in and Bubba the gaurd dog is out all night. So she will be safe.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  5:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Kristan, yes your poor girl is just too hot....if you have a old fashioned rubber hot water bottle fill it half full with cold water & put it under her, now she may move but she will probably try to get more comfortable on it so you don't have to put her out by her self....I do this all the time with the kids & Gertie my white long horn girl won't get out of the sun sometimes so I do this for her when she goes to bed...she will get up, spread out her wing & lay sideways on it so as much of her body can touch it & the cold reaches up into the underside of her wing...very funny/cute to see your hen spread out over a red rubber water bottle...but if it helps I will do it...I also gallon plastic milk jugs fill them 3/4 full & freeze them...around noon time if its overly hot I will put quite a few of these in the hen house...since you are from Georgia think swamp cooler idea....now the reason you want more than just a couple of these in there is the hens once they find them will be all over them so make sure the lids are on tight & out in the open so the hens can get around it...I try to use 1 jug per 2 hens so they won't fight over them....when it cools down take them & wipe them down & pop back in the freezer til needed again...I also freeze a small bucket 1/2 full of water & fill it to the top with water before setting it out...they get nice cold water all day....easy cheap ideas that work & you aren't out any money if you are like me & have gallon milk jugs everywhere.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  6:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I think she was just too hot. She is doing much better now. I put her under a shade tree that is shady all day. And she had electrlytes in ice water. And I just mowed the side yard and gave her some green grass and scratch. Thanks, Michele, for the good ideas. I have some jugs in the freezer. I will put them out there in the morning for the others.

This heat is horrible. It's wiping me out so it must be hard on them. It was 97 tiday. And very humid.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  04:40:44 AM  Show Profile
I just made a hole between the 2 coop stall so they can have way more room. Plus that one side is wide open to the south. I have a cattle panel up and chicken wire all the way to the top. That's the side I had the turkeys in. So they now have double the space for 9 hens and a roo and they will get a good breeze all day. I put Hildi in there and she is happy now. The only thing is I could only beat out one part of the bords that was a little rootn at the bottom and the roo is too big to bet through. ALl the fat hens got through though. So maybe he'll figure it out. When hubby gets home I'll get him out there with the saw and make it wider.

Now I need to do something for the other chickens up front. I have a guy up the road who is a handy man kind of guy who will do just about anything. I am going to see if he can make an outside run for them to get out in. So all is well today. It's a nice breezy morning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  07:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Kristin good to hear the old girl is doing better today, I sure do remember the heat/humidity down there when we were stationed at Fort Benning, I always said Texas was bad for heat til I moved to Georgia...lol....oh thats so nice you have extended the run area...they will love all the new ground to explore....aren't handymans wonderful?!... I have a retired carpenter who is just a gem when I have things I can't do myself....right now he is fixing the porch roof that was leaking...with new tar paper & shingles for me & I am getting him to put in a ceiling fan for me so I have a bit of the south here....thank goodness I am the one with all the power tools in this household...but roof climbing is not something this ole body wants to do anymore...lol...you sound like me with all your separate areas for the kids....I made part of my above basement into a coop area with an outside run for all my injured chickens so they would not be picked on by the healthy big kids in the big coop.....now I am trying to figure out what to do with the ones that are in the house....injuries that won't heal...ie damaged/limping legs & 2 babies that are now big enough to go out...some will go in big coop some will go in basement coop until I add on to the big coop...am adding 6+ more feet to it & extending the large run so I can divide it...but like you up here we are getting hot days then cold raining days...makes it hard to want to work either way.....keep us updated please...have a great week...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  07:39:00 AM  Show Profile
2 of the Buff hens got out from under the door. I nailed a piece of board across the bottom. I'll have to catch them tonight. They are already trying to get out to the garden. And I have to leave for the rest of the day. The others are happy out there now with more room.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  10:46:49 AM  Show Profile
It must be horrible for any animal in the hot weather and especially in the South Eastern US with the humidty too. I can't stand the humidty, if it's a dry heat I don't mind so much.

I use a corian tile slab for my bunny to lay on when it's hot. Also a soda bottle frozen with water so that he can lay next to it and spread out. I put the corian in the freezer to get it super cold and then put it out for him. even when it warms up it's cool enough to still help. Of course, unlike the chickens he won't poop on it!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  3:08:21 PM  Show Profile

the story goes like this...I needed chicken feed so the kids wouldn't throw a fit in the morning so headed to the Agway just down the ways....after I got the rake...someone stole mine off the front porch, dried mealy worms, fly sticky paper...was headed to the counter to order the feed & heard peeps...they keep the chicks in the bathroom in boxes where they will be safe & warm enough...of coarse I had to hold a few & talk to them for a bit before I went back to the counter & get them fresh water....I got to the counter & Laura told me she had 2 chicks she would give me if I would take them...I hadn't seen them since they were in a different box...one has a crooked neck but can still eat & drink the other had a small bleeding injury on its back & the other chicks kept pecking at it so she separated it with the crooked neck one...she knew I had a ER in house & a special chicken house & run for injured or recovered kids...now I know that Macy looks really bad in the picture but the wound is actually a scratch but I had to clean it real well & mdicate it so the skin is very red....Laura is the small one sorta hiding under macy......I think I can help her as when i gently pull on her neck area the tenden seems to loosen a bit so I will do this 3-4 times a day for her to see if I can get it to relax for her....needless to say I almost forgot to get the feed...lol...My neighbor girl was out & I stopped so she could see them....now I love this girl but when she is PMSings she tends to stick foot in mouth...she picked one up & said 'oh these are meat birds they will die about 4 months old cause they grow so fast their legs can't hold them & they have heart attackes' Now me I at least was nice & just said I can modify their diet & if they die early at least they will have had a good life...Now she mant no hard but I don't think she realized how it came out...but what made me feel so good doing made me feel pretty sad when I got them home & doctored them.....sort of burst my bubble for a bit....but I can't walk away from them even if they die later...at least until their time comes they have a safe home & will get lots of attention & love....the 2nd picture is them in their new home for the time being...its an old farret cage I tore down & rebuilt into a bird cage for the babies when I only have a couple.....Right now they have had fresh cool water with a drop or 2 of apple cider vinegar & medicated chick feed that I always keep on hand for just in case....they even got a couple of dried mealy worms for the ride home....so they are now resting....I named them after the 2 kids at the agway laura & Mason...but since I don't want a rooster i named it Macy...so we now have a Macy cat & a Macy chicken!....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  4:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I am like you--today I went to the feed store as well, and they had their last batch of chicks there. I noticed they almost all had pasty butts and immediately I found 3 employees that I all told, and each one shrugged me off and said 'oh, it is just the last batch for this year anyways' !!!!!What!!!! I just wanted to buy them all and save them! Unfortunately I do not have the means to do so, and it was agonizing knowing most of those babies probably will not make it.
I hope your little ladies come out okay! Take care.

......Born again Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  4:44:43 PM  Show Profile
They are adorable Michele! I hope they survive and I'm sure they will with a Mama like you! What do you medicate them with?

I was just out watering all my gardens and my chicks were taking dust baths. But one was getting pecked by a couple of the others. I don't think they have fleas or lice but I don't really know. What do you do if they do have something? I have to go to the feedstore tomorrow as they are finally getting a load of hay and shavings so if I should buy something I will. This past winter they were all pecking each other and when spring came they came out o fht ecoop and looked have naked. Their skin is red and some of them sure aren't getting many feathers back. Any suggestions ladies? We did read that giving them crack corn woujld disrupt their balance from laying feed and we had been giving them that and black sunflower seeds all winter so we stopped thinking they would stop the pecking. Here's some pics:

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  7:19:31 PM  Show Profile
ok Ginny from the pictures I can tell that some of the pecking/pulling out feathers is from boredom...you will notice that most hens/chickens when on a perch with be one head forward, one rump forward, one head forward...so it looks like they are doing this while on the perch...the rump is getting both sides of front heads pulling out feathers...Now one thing that causes this is they are in the coop too long once day light hits or going to the roost too early when its still light outside.......I take it you also have a rooster or 2 from the missing feathers from the back area?
1st how many chickens do you have in the coop?
how big is the coop?
how many perches do you have set up?
How much protein are they getting?
did you give them chicken feed along with the corn & sunflower seeds?
I need to know all of this before I can help you...so if you can answer those it would help also would you email me please so I can go into longer detail to help you without taking up pages of this....I will say this now if you don't stop this the chickens will start drawing blood & then you can have all the chickens going after that hen until they kill her...they will kill & eat each other...or you will end up with several with serious infections & have to put them down or they will die on their own...possibly giving the infection to the others.....yeah I am not trying to scare you but you need to know this can happen...

Jenn that attitude of the workers over the pasty butt chicks makes me so mad...that is considered animal abuse & they can be charged....since they know this will kill them & it will be a very painful death for those baby chicks....& you are right they are going to die unless someone there has a heart & washes those little butts for those chickies & keeps doing it til they no longer have pasty butt.....I don't understand that attitude at all, cause if it was a puppy they won't let it go on that way but because its a small chickie its not considered the same....boy I am glad I wasn't there cause I would have called all 3 to the carpet & then demanded the manager who better have a good explanation why I shouldn't call the cops on his employees.....I am sure animal control would have loved hearing about this one......but I am sorry you had to see & hear that & know that you were without means to help them....I luckily am able to help but thats cause I am older, stay at home wife, son grown & I can take the time to do it whereas some just can't...so there is no shame in that....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Primginger
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Melissa
Wescosville pa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  07:44:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Jewel

After some initial research, I'm thinking Production Reds might be good, since I won't have a lot of chickens, but it looks like mypetchicken.com doesn't carry those in small qty. Here's maybe a silly question?? How do you know when you get chicks from the feed store if it's a hen or rooster? I guess what I'm seeing in some of my research is that people end up with roosters, so they either give them away or eat them. How can you guarantee that you're going to get a hen?

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com

We purchased ours from Tractor Supply in May, or April, I forget now, they will only sell minimum of six, and our township allows 5....lol....we got six, 3 red commets and 3 white...? I forget now..lol..anyway...the past few weeks, we have noticed one red commet does not look like the others. They goofed, they say they have them sexed, but they goofed, we have a rooster and I'm not sure what type. Deciding now whether or not to keep him or see if a local farmer wants him cause I do not want to irritate my neighbors with a Rooster.

Enjoying my little Homestead
www.heirloomhomestead.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  08:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I got 7 Buff chicks a few months ago from the feed store. They were supposed to all be pullets but 1 is a roo for sure. I thought it was earlier and now I am sure he is. But that's ok because the girls will have a roo they grew up with now. I hope you can find a good home for you roo.

Michele, I hope your chicks get better and have a nice life with you.

Ginny, that's what my friend's hens look like. She has a coop and a small area for them to get out. But they look awful. I hope you figure out what's wrong with them and they get their feathers back soon. I think it's from boredom too. And not enough room.

I caught one of the escapee hens from yesterday. But I cannot find the other one. She is gone. No where to be found. I hope nothing got her. The others seem fine with all the extra room they got yesterday. And Hildi laid an egg. In fact, she is the ONLY one who laid an egg yesterday out there. I have 10 hens out back and I get one egg. I think they are slowing down from this heat. So I think I need to hold on to the eggs I have in case they just quit laying altogether.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  3:39:30 PM  Show Profile
When I counted the hens out back there were 9 Buffs. So I guess the other one got back in somehow. I don't know how but she's in there. Once the rooster got out and he followed me back there and went right back in.

Michele, how are the chicks today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  9:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kristin the newest babies are doing wonderful :)...they are eating & poo-ing up a storm...lol...so glad your girl came back, bet you & the Roo are both happy to see her....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes, he was. I still don't know how she got back in. But she is and all is well. I mowed with the bagger on and all the poor little cooped up chickens got lots of nice green stuff to eat today.

So now I have 4 broody hens. 4! 2 in the garage. The twin game bird sisters. Then another game bird in the cat room in a dog crate. Then a Buff hen in the coop up front. I am leaving all the game birds where they are but will be watching them. I want to be able to catch them to sell the chicks. So we shall see in a few weeks.

Michele, so gla dthe chicks are doing well.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  6:28:23 PM  Show Profile
I was out back this evening and heard a hen chirping then heard little peeps. One of the game hens hatched 3 cute little yellow chicks. I had been missing her. I hope they all make it. They are so cute and fluffy.

All the other hens are still setting on their eggs so far. And a turkey hen is on 3 out in the pasture in the bright hot sun all day. I hope they hatch soon so they won't be too far behind the other 8.

Hope all the hens and roos and chicks are doing well.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  04:12:35 AM  Show Profile
How old are your all's chicks when you let them free range? I've got 9 month old chicks I'd love to turn out...

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  05:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Megan, let them girls out! They are way old enough in my opinion. I have let mine out when they are just 4 months old. They will love being out eating grass and bugs. They'll be so happy.

My little chicks are doing good so far. The little one I found by itself is still alive and doing well. The other hen's eggs should hatch in a few days. I think I have them all sold! I just need to be here to catch them all when they hatch. I can close the garage door when I leave Friday if they haven't hatched by then.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  07:03:30 AM  Show Profile
kris is right. we let ours out. the mamas are doing a great job caring for them. hoping to keep them out of the garden though. wish me luck. i have another broody hen. i want more chicks. a friend donated fencing for pasture. it will get my chicken tractor set up. i want to move about 50 hens across the road. they will have 8 acres of grass. so far the ones i put out first are fine. so in the next few days we will move them. well belle is already mooooing. LOL she wants out to go eat produce. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:16:49 AM  Show Profile
lol. I see I put 9 months old. They're ONE month. So is 4 months a safe starting point?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile
4 months old is a good age if they have a momma that can watch over them & teach them, otherwise you may want to free range them in a closer area to your coop ect & watch over them thur-out the day until you are comfortable that they won't get themselves in trouble if they are the only ones out free ranging.....1 month is definitely too early for them, one they are still so small they can get into trouble with other animals, fall in mud holes & die, get stuck in areas & not know how to get out....such as inside rose bushes, berry bushes, cans.....at that age they also don't know what is poison to them & will eat everything they find...plus they will wonder off by themselves & get lost from the others if there is no mother to watch over them.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  11:37:27 AM  Show Profile
http:
/

Meet the 2 newest babies Macy & Laura...I went to the feedstore to get the feed & came home with these 2 since they were either injured or defective...macy as you can see is quite red...had a small wound from the other chicks pecking her but I cleaned it up thats why she is so red in the pic...Laura was born with a crooked neck, tenden too short/tight...unfortunitely I found out they are broilers which means they will grow too fast & at about 4 months will ned to be butchered, which I can't do but have a friend who will take them when they are too big to hold their weight. I had written earlier about them but didn't get the pics up , they are doing great & are yes growing very fast now.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  2:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Megan, that's funny. So you have 9 one month old chicks. That makes sense.

Michele, I'm glad your 2 new ones are doinf better.

I checked on my hen in the basket in the garage and heard chirping this morning! So far I have seen 3 chicks. I went ahead and put basket and all in the coop out front. I put chicken wire in the corner so the chicks will be safe from the older chicks. And the momma won't hurt them. So here we go!

And the other hen that had the 5 chicks still has her 2 that I let her keep for now. The other 3 are good inside.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  04:09:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow, Michele! Those poor little chickadees! :(

Yeah, these are some of my hens eggs that I took and incubated. I've let them out in a dog crate-they can't get out-and they seemed pretty happy to be out and about. I think i'll let them out every day in this dog crate turned chicken tractor I'm working on.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page