batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  6:05:17 PM  Show Profile
most of the antibactics recommend you dump the eggs for 7 to 10 days after the chickens are done with it...if you can check out what the bottle recommends or go to the web site about that antibactic & it should tell you what is a safe time to start eating the eggs again...I go 10 days anytime I give my chickens even their RX meds for colds even though I am only putting it on their skin....hope that helps you & I am so happy the hens are doing better...its a good feeling isn't it when they are back to their old selves again...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:12:48 AM  Show Profile
i thought you might enjoy a chuckle. we have the chicken tractor in field now. we took practice chickens over. it is to see if hawks or dogs get them. so its been a few days now. so at our front gate was 3 hens and the roo. waiting for the gate to open. so they are home now. LOL i will take them back today. i have to be smarter than the animal. so i need wire on the gate. cows stay in chickens go out the hole where the cross pieces are. silly me. i still need electric netting. its a money thing. so anyway they walked 10 acres and across the road to our gate. now they were taken in the tractor so they never saw where we went. they know where the milk comes from happy days learning as i go sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

youngbunny
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jeri
Kirkland WA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  09:20:40 AM  Show Profile
Michele: When you say wash do you mean wipe with a damp cloth? Or rinse them in water?

Simpler Life = Happier Life!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  11:00:16 AM  Show Profile
When I do wash my eggs I just put them in a bowl with cool water & then wipe each with a dry towel as I get each out of the bowl....if they are really nasty when I get them from the coop & just wipe with a dry paper towel & stick in the frig....until i am ready to use them then I do the bowl thing. Since I am using them right after I wash them I don't worry about them getting too much water soaked into the shells....does that help you Jeri?...hope so.some times I don't explain things well......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

youngbunny
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jeri
Kirkland WA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  7:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Michele. That does help. I think I have roosters tho. I have three Buffs. Two are that real light golden color, one is the darker-reddish color. Although the reddish color is starting to peck at the other two...even the larger one. I think I'm in over my head with these three LOL! I read horrible things about roosters being mean they can poke your eye out!! So, I will keep watch...they are 2 months old right now, but they're all so different...The large one wants to constantly fly on me and get petted and cuddled...I hope he isn't a rooster :(

Simpler Life = Happier Life!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  04:28:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm incubating my first set of eggs! My husband bought me an incubator as my mother's day gift! LOL. I've got about 13 eggs in the incubator right now. This set, plus the nest that one of my hens sitting on, should give us a good group of hens in a few weeks. I'm so excited!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  05:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Jeri I have had mean roosters & nice ones...a lot depends on their breed...the buff roo I had was nice until he was 18 mons old.....the Welsummer roo was mean until he was about 18 mons then mellowed out...Now CeeCee the welsummers son is calm & a sweetheart so far....so you never know......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Naturegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sandra
Murray Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  4:04:36 PM  Show Profile
I've got chicks hatching right now. I couldn't find an incubater, so I'm using my Excalaber Dehydrater. Believe it or not with a pie plate of water in the bottom and the heat set on 100 degrees, the eggs are developing like they should. I have 21 eggs in it. There are 17 that a developing and out of those 2 are trying to hatch tonight. I can't wait. It's been years since I've done anything like this. My son is taking all but 2. He is building my a small house for them on my back porch so I can have fresh eggs every day.

I love country living, even if it is not really to far out in the country.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile
how cool is that Sandra...brillient!!! Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile
This is my granddaughter with some eggs we found. All different sizes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Sandra, that is a good idea. Never thought of that. I have a dehydrator but I'll have to look and see if I could put something in the bottom for water. It also does not have a temp setting. I wonder if it would work. I hope you have good luck and all of the eggs hatch.What kind of chicks do you have?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Naturegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sandra
Murray Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  03:45:51 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
That won't work. Tried it with 6 eggs, but it got to hot. Need the temperature control.The temp has to stay 99.5 to 100 degrees and eggs have to be be turned twice a day. I had a chick peeping all night. Between the chick and the bad storms we had last night, I didn't get much sleep.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Priceless picture Kris. Warms my heart to see one more child that knows where eggs come from! I'd sure love one of those for my breakfast this morning.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:42:17 AM  Show Profile
I should have put a turkey egg in there too. She is a cutie and she loves going on egg hunts. She has a little friend that comes over with her sometimes and that's all she wants to do. They are so cute.

Sandra, I am going to put a thermometer in the dehydrator and see what it reaches.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  07:13:03 AM  Show Profile
I can just hear your granddaughter and her friend telling their children about the egg hunts at your house someday. Those are priceless childhood memories. I used to go to a friends grandparents farm when I was a kid. Running across the field to avoid the bull, swimming in the creek, drinking sweet water straight from the spring and playing in the hay loft are memories I treasure. Their farm was many acres and the house was right in the middle of it. It was so far from the major roads they had no elec. or running water. There was a rain cistern that was hand pumped into the kitchen and an out house. They used kerosene lanterns for light and wood stoves for heat. What I would give for one of those hot Sunday afternoons on the huge screened porch resting on one of the porch swings in my slip after church. Good times. Even back then ( 44 years or so ago) time seemed to slow down when my feet hit the ground there. Those were my first lessons on being present in the moment.
Thanks Kris. I needed to remember that today.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  08:13:02 AM  Show Profile
Connie, those are wonderful memories. I have some like that too. My aunt lived in an old house with no electric or bathroom or running water. We had to use the outhouse. And it was hot! I remember sweating at night. But those were good fun memories. We are so spoiled today.

Sandra, my dehydrator got to 150. So I guess I can't use it. It was worth a try though. I may have to invest in one. I'll look on Craig's list.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Naturegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sandra
Murray Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  4:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Came home from Trade Day and had 3 more chicks hatch while I was gone, There are 7 now and 5 more just starting to break their shells. This is so much fun. My son said he'd better come get them before I become attached to them.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  9:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful Sandra! Enjoy them till he comes to get them.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  03:22:47 AM  Show Profile
I am so upset. I had a hen sitting on a nest due to hatch any day, and the eggs have dissapeared. No broken shells, no blood, no signs of struggle...and there's an empty laying box next to her with 3 eggs in it. What on EARTH could've happened to them? It's like they just vanished into thin air! All the hens are there and everything!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  06:17:25 AM  Show Profile
My experience like that turned out to be a huge snake. The hens were never hurt but the eggs kept disappearing. Just a thought.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  06:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Yep, that's what happened to all my turkey eggs. A snake. They just go under the bird and get the eggs when they want them and leave the bird alone. I have no more broody hens at the moment and the eggs have slacked off too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  07:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Kris- You may want to go on a snake hunt. They hang around pretty close while there is food available. This may explain why your egg production is down. Mine picked right back up after we got rid of the snake. I was soooo mad when we figured it out. I thought my girls were sick!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:04:31 AM  Show Profile
There won't be no snake hunt for me! There was a snake out there in the barn a few weeks ago in a nest on the floor in the corner. It's gone now! I think it's because the poor hens are cooped up. I had to do that to have a garden. I'll let them back out when the tomatoes are done. I want tomatoes so the hens are cooped. Unless I can fence in the tomatoes. I have thought about trying to do that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:14:21 AM  Show Profile
LOL I know what you mean. I HATE IT when they surprise me. I don't mind them if I know they are there. We have tons of toads this year and they are scaring the bejeebers out of me hopping around my feet. First thing I think is SNAKE!
I'd put up a temporary fence around the tomatoes. Unless you have flyers. Then it may not work. : ( It is a dilemma. My garden is so small we fenced it. When we expand down to the field we will have the same problem. I was thinking of that electric net fence for the girls so I can move them around the pasture. Then I'll have to deal with the hawks. :)
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:26:29 AM  Show Profile
My whole garden is fenced with chain link. But they do fly over. So I might have to clip wings. But it seems to not work anyway. What's the best way to clip wings so they will NOT be able to get over a chain link fence? Would love to know. I usually clip noth wings but I think I'm supposed to just clip one?

Connie, everywhere I go I think I see snakes around here. I hate them. I am terrified of them. ANd the fields all around my place were just mowed for hay. That's when they usually start crawling around.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page