batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  07:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Connie you are so right about the being 'dismissed' that raising the hackles in this hen big time....I hate the attitude of 'you don't know what you are talking about' look...then when the poo hits the fan all of a sudden they change their tune...too late to fix the damage....& the 'I will get you a new one' for me boils my blood as if a 'new' one will replace the one that is dead...like i didn't bond with the 1st one so a 2nd one though i would love also makes up for the big mistake.....& I am on your side about the 'respect' issue....my hubby doesn't understand that respect & trust go hand in hand with me....how can I trust him if he can't respect what I am saying to him?...I still like the 'beating the daylights out of them...but I am old school...lol....wheres that switch??? it sure worked for my momma on me...sure it would work on my hubby & son...even though both tower over me.....I am sure my chickens would be my cheerleaders all in a row while I chase the boys around with a bush switch......I do hope you are having a better day today my dear hen....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  09:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Yes things are starting to settle down. I was so upset and screaming so loud about my chicken that my neighbor was afraid to come near me, he and his wife (and the whole neighborhood) haven't ever heard that sound come from me before.
Thanks ladies for listening to me. I talked to my sister but when it comes to chickens, she just doesn't get it.
I know that here I have a sypathetic ear to vent to and a strong sholder (or two) to cry on.
Thanks again,
Liz

In God We Trust

Edited by - chick-chick on Apr 26 2011 09:48:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  12:11:26 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about non chicken owners not getting it! They really don't. I didn't before I had chickens. Don't you just love it when you mention your chickens and someone's face lights up and they say" I used to have or my mom had chickens. I sure loved them. I want some some day." It is an instant connection. Talk can go on for hours.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  12:32:05 PM  Show Profile
Around here I don't know too many people with chickens. My husband's aunt did but other than her I have to get my chicken fix from girls here at MJF. I never even knew I was a farm girl at heart until I started getting the magazine. Then hubby brought home some ducks a couple of years ago and then chickens and I fell in love! We got rid of the ducks last summer, they were just to smelly and destroyed the yard. My chickens are more fun. and when I go out into the yard they run over to me.
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

Darcy
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Darcy
Washington
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  2:04:33 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
Thank you for your logical words. You are right, just let them be. I don't want to be doing, or not doing, something that they need or not. I do sell the eggs, give some away but all is a blessing.
Blessings to you too hen friend.
Darcy

Chicklettes and Peeplettes.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  5:12:26 PM  Show Profile
i am so happy i bought a 6ft by 8 ft white tarped green house for my chickens for on the days its icky....it came yesterday & today even though it was a bout 50- until 2 p.m. it went up to 84 degrees! so I went out there next to the run & all by myself got that puppy up....i still need to do some re-inforcement & get the fencing around it but if we keep getting rain the kids will have a nice dry area to play in that actually has grass at the moment...but we all know that won't last long...lol....this puppy even has netted windows that can be covered with the tarping or roll up the tarp so they can get some fresh breezes....the netted windows are high enough I don't have to worry about them tearing them up....my sister said I got them a chicken condo....yeap my kids get it all!....I have about 10 foot or so of 6 ft tall chained link fencing & chicken wire that I can use around it so I don't have to worry about any thing getting into it....plus its only for the day time use....I am sure on those hot days & evenings I will be having to kick them out to go to the coop to sleep....but I am so thrilled to be able to do this for them...it was my mothers day gift...i pick it out, hubby & kids pay for it.....I might stick a few nesting boxes I have that are extra in there & see if any of my girls use them this summer.....now to see what toys I can put in there for them....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  1:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Liz - that is such a story! I feel so bad about your chicken! I understand exactly what you mean when you say that your sister just didn't the chicken thing...no one around here except one of my little boys does. As for my hubby, he just doesn't get why I need more space and more yard area for my chickens. But I give him credit - he helps with the needs even if he doesn't understand. He figures as long as we are getting eggs, it's okay to fulfill my chicken whims! No one really gets how I can get attached...I am glad to hear that they feel a little guilty for not listening to you. Sometimes advice not taken ends up advice learned!

Stephanie
Farmgirl #2920

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:16:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Stephanie, I'm hoping the guilt will hang in there until I can get a better coop built. Right now the girls are under my son's fort which is kinda on stilts fenced in with a tarp wrapped around it. I'm going to play the guilt card as much as I can until the coop is built and the garden is turned and the fence is fixed and and and... well you get the idea.
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  9:37:19 PM  Show Profile
Well I finally got the greenhouse/chicken condo up & fenced in so the chickens now have a space that is out of the rain/snow ect......I still have a bit of heavy chicken wire to put up in the areas I can't see from the house just to be on the safe side but they are enjoying it greatly & having fun eating the grass that is in there. Now I am trying to get some of the herb garden planted while its still nice out...even bring Willow, my crippled hen out & put her on a blanket near me while I am messing in the garden so she can get a bit of sun & enjoy the fresh air....today she even got a nice worm that I fond...she hasn't had one of these since last year! hopefully will find many for her this summer....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  11:00:08 AM  Show Profile
I just found another broody hen. Really, 2 of them. The twins, Tweedle Dee and Dum. They are sharing a nest on the top shelf behind some Christmas stuff in the milkroom. There were at least 20 eggs when I looked. I tried to make it where the eggs wouldn't fall out. They got mad at me. Then the next day one hen is sitting on top of the decoration box. And there was an egg on the floor broken. So now I think there are about 8 eggs. I have no idea how long they have been setting on them. Probably a few weeks now. I noticed the hens were missing about then. And these 2 are notorious for hatching lots of chicks. they are game hens. So I will try to take the chicks when they hatch and raise them so I can take the roos.

The Buff hen that's setting on the 2 turkey eggs is still on them. A few more weeks for her.

And about 6 more days for the turkeys that are setting on eggs. There are 3 of them on the nest but only one has the eggs. They should hatch Mother's day. I will try to get the chicks from them too if I can. I have not seen an egg since they started setting on the eggs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile
I checked on the 3 turkeys setting on the nest together the other day. There were only 3 eggs left. Just 3. So I took them and stuck them under the hen in the garage. She already had 2 turkey eggs. So if these hatch, it should be this Sunday. Then I will give them to the guy who bought a dozen eggs about a month ago. His house was without power for days due to the tornadoes. So of course the incubator was off. I will just give hime these poults if they hatch.

And I got 7 little Buff chicks yesterday when I went to the feed store. I noticed last night that 5 of them have little tiny tails already but 2 of them don't So I stopped at the feed store this morning to see if they were supposed to be pullets or straight run. She said they were all pullets. So we will see. If the 5 are roos they should exchange them for pullets. I sure don't need 5 more Buff roos.

It sure is guiet here. Hope all the chickies are doing well. And the chickie mommas too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  2:57:05 PM  Show Profile
hey there kris, it is quiet here. i have been running circles the last few days. planting and cleaning up around here. our chicken tractor is about ready for the maiden voyage. we will put some cull birds in and take to pasture. i may still have to buy the electric fence netting. we will see. papa has made it so nice. i will try to post a pic. so out i am going to organize more stuff. kris i sure wish i had a broody hen. maybe in a few weeks. let us know what hatches for you. i love free babies. happy days for you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  07:13:09 AM  Show Profile
well i think i have a broody girl last night. so how many eggs should i put under her? i use a rabbit hutch for this. works great. solid door for sitting and so on. i want her to have as many as she can handle. maybe 12? she is a smaller breed. red star sexlinks. i will set her up this am. any chicks yet? we are moving the chicken tractor today. i hope to get a pic. it is very big. it will house about 80 hens. it is all metal and has a wire floor so i can hose it out. i hope i can do pics. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  3:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherry you need to put only the amount of eggs that she can comfortable cover with her body as it is her body heat that makes the babies grow & develop...any that are sort of outside her will not develop properly...though she will turn & move them too many she can't tend to as well....if 12 fit under her then I say thats great but see if you are seeing eggs that aren't covered well by her....that will give you an idea of if you need to remove a few.....love that you have a rabbit hutch that you use for this....what a great idea & you know she is protected & has a quiet place to be & when the babies are hatched you don't have to worry about them falling out.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  08:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Ok Ladies I could use some help. I have several chickens that have kind of a croupy cough. It started a couple of days ago. Two things to mention. We have had crazy weather, went from 70's then down to the 20's all in a week and the last bag of feed seemed to be finer and kind of dusty. do you think either of those things are factors? There is no mucus on the eyes and noses and everyone is active and eating they just seem wheezy. I went ahead and put some antibiotic in the water, but you think I should do anything else?
susan
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Susan you did the right thing with the antibactics in their water...up here in Massachusetts we have been going thur the same thing & the poor chickens are getting colds left & right another thing you might want to do is give them a warm oatmeal/feed mix with hot water each morning until they are better...what this will do is is help warm their bodies as it sits in the crop area & help loosen the gunk in their lungs also if you have them a few drops of chicken or baby vits in it will give their bodies the extra they need to fight it....i have super hot water out of the sink so thats what I use & mix the feed/oatmeal/vits together & then let it set for a few moments...I don't want them to get burned but I want it warm enough that it helps loosen up the stuff so they can breathe better. If you feed them scraps ect make sure not to give them any dairy at this time but keep doing the antibactics in the water until a few days after the last one quits wheezing...also you might want to put out a few very hot bowls of water in their coop where they can't get to them at night to add some moisture to the coop.....yeah I know....just what you want but really they will need that to help with the lung problems...think kids & congestion....I have vicks that I put in the boiling water for them.....it doesn't have to be big bowls but a few bowls with the vicks so that when you set them in the coop you can smell the vicks.....I would also do this for a few days after the last one is better just to be on the safe side....honestly they will thank you for it......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile
wow michele, you are on it girl. thanks for all your insight. i sure learned good things here today. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  5:24:51 PM  Show Profile
thank you sweetie, I just hope your chickens get all better...michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  9:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Michelle,
I will start back the hot oatmeal. I fed it to them all winter , but stopped it a month or so ago when the bitter cold temps were gone. I wish I had one of the old style vaporizers..The hot water kind..it sounds like most of next week is supposed to be warm so hopefully they can kick this in a hurry.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  12:29:02 AM  Show Profile
yeah susan trying to find those old vaporizers is getting harder & harder & the new ones cost an arm & a leg to get if you can find those.......those would work if you have a large coop though but if you have a small coop thats actually too much moisture for them....& if not in full health can actually cause sinus problems, chills & so on...the bowl idea gives just a small amount of moisture in the air kinda like a kettle on a wood stove its the vicks that is the more important factor here but the hot water helps melt it & get it in the air faster for them so they can breathe that in.....I do this for all my chickens that get sicky or if I am dealing with just one I wipe my finger across their beak with it so just a thin film of it is there....I am always amazed at how better they sound in such a short time with it & it has never seemed to hurt them in any way......i am more old school when it comes to things like this in my life than go out & try to get all the fancy meds ect if they really aren't needed...& chicken colds are one that comes & goes very often when the weather is crazy.....some old timers will tell you that sometimes treating them like you do a sick child is the best & it seems to most of the time work for me.....I did just lose my crippled hen who stayed in the house this last monday....because she kept getting colds from one day being cold, next hot & this last cold she just didn't have the energy to fight anymore......I had her for 10 months & she was such a joy for me & I sure do miss her but when she got congested or had lung issues she got to where she loved when I put the vicks on her & would take a deep breathe & then nestle into my arms to sleep for a bit.....keep us/me postd on what is going on with your babies & have a great weekend...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  3:12:55 PM  Show Profile
My chicks are 5 weeks old and we are getting ready to put them in the coop we just built. They have their feathers and their combs are starting to grow out too. It has been getting about 35 degrees at night. Will they be ok without any extra heat? We insulated the coop very well. Also, when do you feed them something besides chick food, such as veggie scraps, etc? This is my first experience with chickens and I am loving it, but ready to get them out of the box in my laundry room. Any tips would be appreciated
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  6:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Barb....You sound like you have a good insulated coop so the chicks should be fine...if you are unsure just put in a bit of extra bedding hay so if they do need it they can nest down in it.....since you are just starting out new make sure you have grit & oyster shell in something for them...will they be in a run or free range? I ask this cause the grit is not so important if they are free range as it is if they are in a run.....the oyster shell they will need either way though they may not eat much of it until they get to the laying stage but have it out there anyway to get them used to it being there.

As for feed.....some only give them chicken feed if they are free rangers as they will eat while they are out & about...others give veg/fruit scraps & table scraps....
things to never give them: raw potato peels, coffee grounds, orange/lemon/lime peels, tomato plants/leaves/stalks, potato leaves/plants or roots, rubarb leaves/roots.

Since they are so small if you do give them treats don't give a lot or you will have diarrhea big time plus they are smart & they will wait for the treats & not eat as much as the feed as they should get...as they get older & tougher you can give them more....its better to give scraps/treats ect during the day or early morning when you let them out of the coop so they can burn it off before they go back to the coop for the night....the only time I may change this is when its super cold here & I may give them a warm oatmeal/feed mix just before it gets dark so they have something warm in their crop when they go to bed.

another thing is go to the store & get apple cider vinegar...this is an important need that every old timer will tell you to have for them....1 capful per gallon of water daily will help keep them from getting intestinal worms & help balance out their inside plumbing....As long as you give them fresh water daily, the right chick feed for their age, grit, oyster shell & the vinegar you are good to go even if you feed them nothing else.I must say congrats on your new family members....You will have heat ache with them but you will also have great joy from them as well.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

youngbunny
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jeri
Kirkland WA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:11:19 PM  Show Profile
What do you ladies say? Wash eggs or don't wash eggs? New chicken owner here with 3 buff orpingtons. They are still in the house (going on two months old). I want them in the house year round they're soooo cute! (hubby won't have it tho...they're in his office LOL!)

Simpler Life = Happier Life!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:24:24 PM  Show Profile
I only wash my eggs just before I use them, I may wipe them off when i collect them with a dry towel but thats it til time to use...the reason I don't wash them as soon as i get them is that the egg is porious & washing them lets water get into the egg so one it will go bad faster & 2 it depletes from the egg inside....some wash them as they get them but i grew up doing it this way....either way is alright, its what you are comfortable with.....I even give them to my neighbors dirty & tell them to wash them off in plain water just before they use them...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by coloquilter

Ok Ladies I could use some help. I have several chickens that have kind of a croupy cough. It started a couple of days ago. Two things to mention. We have had crazy weather, went from 70's then down to the 20's all in a week and the last bag of feed seemed to be finer and kind of dusty. do you think either of those things are factors? There is no mucus on the eyes and noses and everyone is active and eating they just seem wheezy. I went ahead and put some antibiotic in the water, but you think I should do anything else?
susan

Well the Girls are doing really well ! Only one girl with just a bit of a rattle sound. after they are finished with the antibiotic ,how long before I can eat the eggs again?
Today I volunteered serving lunch at the church. There was a lot of pasta left over. OMG they had a ball eating the pasta. You would have thought I had given them a plate of worms.
Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page