plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  4:21:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele for responding and giving me your blog info! I will take a looksee at it tonight. I am also a 'stay at homer' so I know that will help with getting things done in the chicken department in a timely manner. I do admit though I'm a bit overwhelmed gearing the garden up this year with two toddlers helping me and making it interesting, but all things in good time! They are so excited for the chickens, and have been practicing with their toy chicks! Thanks again Michele for your help!
.....Jennifer

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  9:05:17 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to use a small outbuilding as my coop, but the floor is wooden and I don't want to ruin it with the chicken poop, any ideas?

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Edited by - missusprim on Apr 20 2011 9:09:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  06:44:47 AM  Show Profile
Michele - you are WONDERFUL! You give so much invaluable information complete with the tiny details us chicken newbies wonder about (me.) I just found this thread and will surely go through and read up on your posts of sound advice. Thank you!

I love your tarp idea, and am thinking of either using that in our existing small outbuilding OR build me a small coop and use it in there irregardless of what the flooring is. It's a no brainer to just pull that sucker out, clean it off, hose it down and let it dry.......and wallah!......you're back in business. I would imagine it also keeps bugs, insects, etc. down to a minimum as it's a barrier between my little feathered friends and the floor?

Are farmers okay with my throwing the chicken poo in their fields? Is this good for their crop? And when the farmers spray, should I be concerned about my little friends?

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:34:02 AM  Show Profile
the farmers might not be too happy if you throw out the chicken poo in areas they are growing.or going to grow crops as chicken poo needs a good season to cure as not to kill off the plants...so you might want to compost it in one area for your garden or asked them where you can put it if they don't mind & that its theirs to use....as for the spraying yes be very concerned...the spray can travel for miles in the wind & breeze & if its poisonous your babies will probably get a load of it in their run, on the coop in their feathers & feet plus it will be on the grass, plants, trees bushes around them...if you know a head of time when they are spraying lock the chickens in their coop & close all windows & doors.....if you are worried about them over heating run a extension cord out there & put a fan in a ceiling level & run on low...if you can't do that fill a couple of plastic bins, large plastic bowls with ice & set those in the coop out of their way & away from the purches so they don't poo all in it...this will cool the air for them if its hot.....check ice & replace when melted if still really hot inside....ok now some people would not do this but I would....wait a few hours after they have sprayed then go out & hose off the entire chicken house outside including roof & if they have a run you put them in hose that area well so that the water moves to outside the run....now if they spray more than one day you will need to do this again each time they spray.......wash with soap & water all containers that are outside that they use...ie water & feed dishes/pans...hose off chicken wire that enclosed the run & if you have shelters like a dog house wash it off also.....I know this sounds like I am crazy but if you think about it...chickens peck at the ground & eat whatever they find they like they don't know that it may be covered in poisons that could kill them....even a small amount could wipe out all your chickens....& it would be a painful death for them.....You will also not want to eat any of the eggs laid for a good week or so after the last spraying as if they should get a bit of the poison you do not want to eat it or give it to someone else....This goes for any other animals you have outside....bring them in if you can or get them on the wind side down from it, make sure you wash all feed/water containers also empty & wash bird feeders & bird bathes.....Also you do not want to be outside but if you have to be please cover your lower face & make sure you get out of those clothes as soon as you can & take a good shower....I grew up on a farm where we were also an experimental station for the state of oregon & when they treated the fields back then this is what we had to do to protect ourselves & animals....so you can call me crazy but I would rather go over board if its a poison they are spraying than wait & find my animals sick or dying or I or my children get sick....You know those fertilizer bottles that attach to your hose? I would fill it with white vinegar to wash off the coop & run first as it might kill some of the poison then do a good rinse with plain water because as soon as those chickens smell the vinegar they will be digging & pecking at the ground since they love it....Also go buy a 16 ounce container of plain or vanilla yogurt if you only have a few chickens & do a wet feed....of some water, chicken feed & at least 1/2 of the yogurt in it...mix well & put this out maybe in a cookie sheet type pan so they can all get some...yogurt will help the digestive system....so if they do get a bit of the poison this might help get it out of them faster & bring in the good cultures they need......sorry I do tend to go off...I think I should just write a book...since I think I have started one talking to you Karen....lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

Edited by - batznthebelfry on Apr 21 2011 09:35:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  7:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Michele I don't mind it at all, you've got fantastic advice. I just hope I can remember it all!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  06:28:59 AM  Show Profile
i agree with karen, lots of good info here. where in oregon were you michele? sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  07:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
One quick question please- I have not read anywhere about how you give the grit and oyster shell- do you mix it in with the feed or should it be available in a different feeder? I also read that making a little sand box in the brooder helps with pastey butt. I guess the chicks peck at it like grit, have any of you tried this?

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................

Edited by - plantcarazy on Apr 22 2011 12:20:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile
thank you Karen for your kind words...I think an outhouse would be a wonderful chicken coop because they were built so well since they didn't want them falling down while you were in them during a storm...lol...plus they have the seating area already that you can put your nesting boxing on...so how cool is that?! & they usually have good ventilation just make sure to put up some extra chicken wire or hardcloth up near the ceiling area if there is gaps so any small animal can't get in & bother the chickens....Plus why build another coop when you have the perfect thing to start with & if over time you have to add on you won't have to buy as much materials & if you can find old scrap wood thats even better since it will be aged like the outhouse.....ok I have to laugh I have a bad bad migraine & I just went back & reread your area & it says outbuilding not outhouse....lol boy do I feel silly but it still the same good idea why build when you have a building ready that just needs an adding items...but for those of you that have an outhouse not doing anything but sitting pretty think about using it for your chickens, ducks or even rabbits....like I said they are built to last so you have less worries with it....or they would be a great place to store your feed & extra supplies for the chickens....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  1:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, usually grit & shell is put in its own little bowls so that the chickens can get to it if they want it...if mixed with feed alot of times they just push it out & its wasted...I have a container with 2 little bowl like things one side has shell the other grit & they only go to it when they want it so its not all over the floor....any cheap plastic containers they can get into will work so don't go out & buy something for them...I have mine screwed to the wall just above the ground so it can't be knocked over & when its empty I wipe it out with a rag & refill them....now for grit for the babies what I do but some don't is get a bag of play sand for kids sand boxes...its cleaner...& I actually will mix this with their feed when they are just a few days old...some say don't do this if they are in the coop since momma will help them dig & hunt so they get the grit they need, but I have a few in my house so I start them out with it so if they do get something besides feed I know their gizzards can handle it...I give my big girls treats....cheerios,, sunflower seeds so if the babies get into them I know they are alright with it...plus a strong gizzard prepares them for when you get them out into the coop to handle grass or weeds they eat...I have gotten gizzard bound hens & its so sad cause you can't do anything for them & they died....they got a hold of too much long grass...only reason I know it was gizzard bound as once they were gone I cut them open to find out why they died....yeah not fun but I have learned so much more about chickens doing this...thats one of the reasons I now longer buy chicks from hatcheries...I got a shipment of 12 chickens & all but one has died....their hearts were all like soft pillows instead of firm & red....made me madder than a wet hen when I found out...made me wonder if they were over breeding hens & their babies with the same roosters...I know it could happen but these were different breeds of chickens so how can all of them have this same defect unless momma.s babies & even grand babies are being breed by the same roosters over & over in the coops....so I now quit that part & get mine from friends who rotate roosters or even get rid of roosters so I don't have to worry about this....I have 2 babies in the coop right now with their daddy & I will have to make sure I never let any of their eggs hatch in worry of defects that kill the new babies....its a hard lesson to learn but in some ways though I cried I am glad I know now this part of chicken raising & can at least be on guard for it......my advice for anyone that is doubtful of what to do is to read more than one book or website...don't count on one person..even me to know everything....I have 100's of hours researching, reading & asking questions but I am still learning...I have found that the old timers are the best when it comes to information...they are not blinded by all the new ideas, fancy medications ect...I was lucky to get at a auction a bunch of chicken mags from the 1930's that for me are wonderful....it has none of the hoopla just good basic realistic information.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherry I lived in Klamath Falls for 5 yrs then Newburg & Salem oregon...Klamath Falls is where we farmed.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  8:00:27 PM  Show Profile
I had to sheare this with you all...I have two crippled hens both have one leg that has never recovered so they both limp & I keep them in the house because the other girls pick on them...Gertie is about 5 yrs old & Piper is about 2 & though Gertie is bossy over Piper, Piper follows her & wants to be with her...even when they sleep. Now I have a old foam covered sofa section that is on the floor that they sleep on & a couple of nights ago I was down holding willow, very crippled hen & heard Gertie complaining, looked over & Piper was doing the baby chick thing with her...she was behind her & trying to get under her rump area to sleep...well Gertie bless her heart didn't move while Piper was doing this for quite a while but then I think she got tired of it & raised up & just looked at Piper who then decided to come up beside her & sorta lean on her to go to sleep. I have to say if I just had chickens in coops I would never see all the wonderful things I see with them & things I never knew they do. My 2 newest babies are doing great & momma is still taking good care of them.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  8:26:41 PM  Show Profile
You are so right Michele. My SE and I have joked about putting a chicken cam in the coop when we build it. I think we are both half serious. We enjoy our chickens so much and do feel like we are missing out on roosting and laying behavior. They are really fascinating creatures!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  10:13:23 PM  Show Profile
I know Connie if I didn't have a few in the house I would put the old baby monitor I have out there so I could at least listen to them......All my life I have had animals & helped raise farm animals but I don't know if its my age or what but I am madly in love with my chickens, they are just so different from all other animals in the way they act...I don't know why they effect me the way they do.....Just this morning Bowzer who early in life had seizures came up to me & wanted me to hold her so she could talk to me for a bit...she stands on my feet when she wants up. I love hen they follow me around & if I sit down in the run they will come over to me & talk...some are still a bit leary but they are so used to hearing me say good morning when I open the run door that the fear is slowly going away...plus when I have about 6 of them over with me the other hens wonder what is up & come near......Now Prudence has never had any fear she was hand raised so she is like a kid tagging on my skirt ends....I am so bad with these kids I plan my time away from home around them....I hate to leave them for any long time even though I know they are safe...I just miss them & want to hear about their day.....michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:07:13 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Ditto!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:54:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure where to post this, but I just have to vent. WHY is it that men DO NOT LISTEN!?
Yesterday, as I was prepaaring Easter dinner I heard my husband and son decide to bring the dog into the back yard, where of course, the chickens were out. I told them not to or to keep him tied up because he's going to get the chickens. Well actually I yelled it. "Don't worry, he's fine" was the reply. Well he was fine for a little while, then the unthinkable happened, and he got ahold of one of the chickens and killed it. I don't think he was trying to hurt it, I think that he was playing with it, needless to say I was heart broken and REALLY ANGRY at them, not at the dog, after all he's a dog. They were all I'm sorry after the fact,, but by then it was too late. I feel so bad for my chicken, it was such a needless accident. Why couldn't they have just listened to me?
Thanks for letting me vent, nobody around here feels the same way about chickens like my friends at MJF do.
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Liz honey I am so sorry to hear about you losing one of your hens.....as for the men I call it being bull headed...they want to do what they want to do even if there will be trouble in the end....I am just sorry a hen had to die because they didn't want to hear it from you.....when my husband does this I always think he is fighting me in a way like he would have his mother....& it always turns out bad after the fact though he doesn't see it that way....now the problem is you have one dead hen & a dog who now knows how to kill them & if there was any blood at all that dog may have gotten a taste for them...it doesn't take much....but I sure would have been beating the living daylights out of the husband & son for this one.....then made they dig a proper burial site for the chicken & bury it with care....if they choose not to do that, then all of the supper except mine would have been fed to the dog or thrown in the trash....Now if that had been another dog that had accidentally killed your dog I am sure they would have been upset but some people don't see chickens the way we farmgirls do.....In this house chickens get protected over everything even our 3 cats have learned this....no one or no thing hurts or messes with them or they mess with me! :)....many hen hugs from me to you Liz....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Michele for your kind words. And yes, I had my husband dig a hole and bury it(at another location I don't need other critters snooping around my hens) and my younger son made a touching headstone for it from a wood plank. As far as dinner, well when our Easter guests came over my husband was waaay more helpful than ever getting the dinner served up!
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  3:30:39 PM  Show Profile
LOL oh Liz that is great, I love the hubby was so much more helpful with the Easter Supper!!!! oh guilt can be such a wonderful thing....specially when it comes to helping out....& I think it is wonderful your son did a headstone for the hen.....It will be a good reminder of what a dog can do accidently to a small hen....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  5:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Liz I am sorry you lost a hen. And so needlessly. I am so familiar with this phenomenon with men. Forgive me if i take it one step further and ask if you feel the same way I do after something like this happens. I always think (after the fact) I knew that would happen! Why did I accept his response ( No problem!) and not insist they not do X or do something to prevent what I see coming? I am usually as mad at myself as I am at them! Usually enough time elapses between each incident that I let it happen again. Why do I do this?!?
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Darcy
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Darcy
Washington
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello chicken lovers like me. I have a problem I hope y'all can assist me with. I have 9 hens, no rooster; 7 are Orpingtons, 1 Barred Rock and 1 Black Sex Link. All are healthy, one of the Orpingtons has a pink vent area where feathers are missing but I think that is a late molt. My problem is that I am getting an average of 4-5 eggs per day out of 9 hens. I can tell different ones are laying by the size and color of the eggs. I live in Northwest Wash. and we are at about 14+ hours of daylight per day. They are free range ladies with an organic layer mash free feed with oyster shell and grit in the feeder. Plenty of clean water available. No treats from me in the AM but scratch and greens or tomatoes or whatever for a treat in the evening.
I have friends with 7 hens getting 6-7 eggs per day. What am I doing wrong or not doing right?
I would appreciate any assist I can get. Thank you.

Chicklettes and Peeplettes.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  8:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Are you sure none are laying some where besides the nest box? I'd do a walk around and look for eggs. If not, are you finding any remnants of egg in the nest boxes? You could have an egg eater. (Chicken) Make sure nothing is getting in to get eggs too. We had a snake take up residence in our coop and the first sign was decreased egg production. Well, they were still laying but he was eating them. If none of this is a problem then your guess is as good as mine! Hopefully someone here can give us both some useful info.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Darcy
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Darcy
Washington
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  8:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Connie. We do not have snakes here except garter snakes. No egg remnants, I always look for that. I will do a walk around but I doubt it. I had this problem last year also and the solution was for me to leave the country (literally) and my son monitored the animals. He got an appropriate number of eggs! He was not doing anything different except not give treats in the AM. The amazing thing was they laid all winter...about 3 per day average. Don't know about these chicklettes of mine.
I am open to all suggestions....

Chicklettes and Peeplettes.
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  06:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Yes Connie I did know what the out come would be, I just KNEW IT. I asked, I yelled and then I screamed to keep the dog away from my chickens and it did no good. Sometimes men are like spoiled children, they just will not take no for an answer, no matter what. After the accident both my son and my husband offered to buy me another chicken, but I told them not to. I just don't want to go thru he hassel of bringing another bird into the flock with the remaining five. My husband mentioned it again today and I told him 'If you couldn't respect me enough to keep the dog away from the birds, at least respect me enough not to briong home another chicken.' We will see how far that goes.
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  06:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Crazy making isn't it!? I think what I hate is being dismissed. Like my concerns are not relevant.
I hope he listens to you and does not get another chicken. Getting her into the flock would be a pain. I hope things settle between you quickly. I'm sure he is sorry.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  07:06:37 AM  Show Profile
Darcy hens just do their thing...sometimes you get lots of eggs like you did in the winter & sometimes you don't....its not anything you are doing wrong that I can tell from what you wrote but chickens are a funny animal...if something spooks them they go off laying...change their bedding, clean their coop, anything can make them change their laying behavior.....I have 21 hens & I get maybe 7 eggs a day from them right now because I truly believe all this rain where they are staying in the coop more has stopped some of them laying...the Orpingtons are wonderful gentle birds but they I have noticed get spooked over any little thing & off the egg laying they go.....A calm hen that all of a sudden has a crabby day can change the behavior of all the others....so unless you are selling or depending on that many eggs a day just let them be....Me I don't need the 21 hens I have but I get any injured or sick ones people give me so I have more than the 6 I first wanted....so I give alot of eggs away to my neighbors....I just enjoy my chickens & any eggs they give me is a thrill & a blessing.....plus I now have a few old timers who aren't laying as often but I don't mind it.....you also said feather lose...that will change egg laying also...body is working on producing more feathers which take alot of calcium so eggs aren't produced regularly....hope some of this helps you....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page