batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  1:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi hens...good to see all of you :) Yeap raw potato peels are very toxic as are tomato vines...both are related to Belladonna.... the reason some people don't feed their chickens alot of table scraps is it causes them to get fat...so when butchered they have too much fat...now if like me you are only having laying hens I don't think scraps are a bad way to go as a great overall treat especially at the beginning of the day when they will work alot of it off...you know the 'chicken exercise program'...the run run run scratch here flap wings & run some more program....lol...I would love to make my own feed but like many of you its so expensive in the beginning & if you don't have many hens it can go bad on you before you use it all.....I do make up raw oats, flaxseed, sunflower seeds & cornmeal in the winter for them since they refuse to go out of the coop...so I am sure I have some fattys in the bunch I just watch to make sure none are having problems walking....too much weight can break their legs....problem with the oringtons...they can get fat fast.....
i think citrus is concerned bad cause they can't process out the Vit C like we do & it can become toxic as well.....I have given my hens a orange ever so often....but only one for all of them so they get very little of it...they won't eat the peels so I don't worry about the oils in it hurting them....
another thing they can't have too often is fresh or cooked spinach...big poo problem for them! they will poo too much & become dehidrated.....My newest babies are doing really good....still dont listen to their Mother when she calls but I think they are starting to realize her 'I have food' call...:) Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  1:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele! I have seen some posts about feeding them dairy? Something about giving them milk? I can't remember exactly.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  1:21:12 PM  Show Profile
Kris-I used to turn over rocks for them too! Sure makes me miss them more to talk about them. Maybe we will get back home before the 4-H kids auction their birds and I can at least have 4-5 before next springs chicks.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  2:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Connie your chickens will fight you over dairy!!! yogurt & kefer are really good for them...it sets the intestinal tract so good bacteria forms....they also love cream & milk....though those 2 don't do the system any good benefits it does get calcuim in them which they always need....so don't worry about giving them any milk produce...welll maybe not chocolate milk...lol...thought they would love you for it...chocolate is another bad thing for them as is coffee or coffee beans....like I need my chickens more hyper!!! Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  3:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the comments on the coop. I really like it. I have leghorns, barred rock, americana, buff ophingtion, red sex link, and a few others. It is a really mix of breeds. I like to sale what I call rainbow eggs.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  3:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Well OK then! I'll have to get goats so I can give the chickens milk! Think SE will buy that? :)
Christy- I really do like that coop. I've always wanted a gypsy wagon of my own. I was 7 when we left Germany. We saw a lot of them in Europe. Yes I am that old. 54 and counting.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  5:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey 54 isn't old...shame on you Connie!!!!!! :)

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Old enough to have seen gypsy wagons still in use! These young chicks might argue with you Michele! I do have to say I don't feel any older than I did 20 years ago. Just fewer hormones to contend with! LOL
Connie

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  7:23:22 PM  Show Profile
lol...Connie....yeah the youn's might say differently but you & I both know...yeah hear you on the hormones...mine are still trying to be active but the old clock says its about time they mellowed out...:)

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  8:17:37 PM  Show Profile
I haven't missed mine one bit! I would not trade 50 for 30 even for less wrinkles!
connie

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  12:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I have been out of town for my grandson's Spring Concert - our grands are all growing up so fast - his first Prom is Saturday night -oh my :(
Anyway, thanks so much for all the good info - I have enjoyed reading all of it and learning so much. We too have an assortment of "girls",
hoping to get an array of different colored eggs, as well as difference in personalites. They are already showing us "who they are". We got our last two yesterday. So cute!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  1:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I'm kinda new here, but I love chickens and saw this topic. I have a weird one for ya! We have a chicken that will turn 9 years old the end of April. She eats whatever falls from our buckets when we feed our sheep. All it is is some corn, oats, a bit of molasses and some minimal protein pellets. She won't eat anything I give her, not even scraps. Yet, she still lays like clockwork. I am totally blown away.

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  1:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie-Wow! What kind is she? I'd try to get some chicks from her!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  4:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you read the book Mary Jane suggested in (I think) her last magazine issue called 'City Chicks' by Patricia Foreman? I received my copy today and could hardly put it down! A very informative book that takes you through the whole cycle of chicken raising and gardening.
I also wanted to tell you all a big Thank You for answering my questions on this forum- I feel like we are all backyard neighbors!

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................

Edited by - plantcarazy on Apr 13 2011 6:31:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  7:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie i wouldn't worry about your picky eater hen, it sounds like you either free range them or at least have a good area for them if she is able to get to some of the goats feed while you are delivering it.. but I am not surprised in the least of her behavior...the goats get all that good stuff & she only gets that boring one color chicken feed...& they so do love molasses...to be on the safe side just make sure she has access to calcuim/oyster shells so she has nice strong egg shells & her bones are strong & healthy.....I bet sh eats what you give her she just doesn't do it when you are there....she wants you to think she is starving & needs that goat feed!!!!...:) Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  7:24:28 PM  Show Profile
oh forgot while I was writing to tell you all I have gone back to organic feed ($20 for 50lbs) compared to the $16 for the other...felt it was time now that I get them back on it with Thomas gone...no $400 grocery bills a month while he is away so I can do this for the chickens....I always feel better when they are on it but when his civilian company was downsized last may I had no choice but to go to the cheaper feed but I always added things to it like flaxseed, rolled oats, wheat germ ect so they weren't lacking in anything that is for sure...but happy to get them on a organic feed again.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

EdenFarm
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Erin
Germantown WI
10 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  3:52:38 PM  Show Profile
We moved to our farm a yr ago and we've been busy. I just put away my paint brush after painting the interior of our farmhouse this winter. Last spring, summer & fall we cleared buckthorn, grapevine, honeysuckle and moved lots of big rocks. We made a big dent and although we're far from finished we're ready to add fun stuff this yr. Chickens & a veggie garden. Chicks arrived two wks ago (Araucanas, Australorps, Barred Rocks & SL Wyandottes) also wanted Buffs and Rhode Island Reds but n/a. The chicks are in our house in a chicken wire lined dog cage which works great. Our farm has an old coop that's in pretty good shape, that is after removing 10 yrs of filth. We've plugged the mouse holes and power washed the interior. Should I bleach the interior? Can I paint and wallpaper it? I seem to remember reading something in MJF about doing that. It would be fun but want to make sure safe for chickens.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  4:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Erin...please do not bleach the interior of your coop...it takes too long for the fumes/poisons to go away..... go buy 2-3 gallons of white vinegar & wash down the walls, ceiling & floors with it or if you don't have that or want to get it go get your baking soda & washing soda & mix that up with some hot water & wash everything down with that...& rinse well...if you do the vinegar you can get away from any heavy rinsing unless you hate the smell or re power wash after sone.....you can paint the inside of the coop but do not use glossy paints & try to get a white wash that will be safe if the chickens peck at it....As for the wall papering you use a water/glue mix....white glue is safe & thats how you stick down the wallpaper then you can coat it with the glue/water mix...a cheap safe way. You may also want to dust with DE earth all the areas that are wood for mites......I use a squire bottle & fill it with the DE earth & get into the cracks, it will look like a huge white cloud by the time you are done but you will cut the mites down before the chickens go in....let it settle & do not sweep any of it away...leave it where it falls....I will also give you a handy tip that has saved me many hours of back breaking scrapping of chicken poo off the floors...I stapled down a cheap tarp into the floor...this way when I have to sweep. shovel out the old bedding, old feed & poo It comes out easier & then where its damp I let it dry for a few hours before I lay new bedding hay down...no longer do I have urine smelling wood floors that won't dry & I save myself a lot of work doing it this way. Plus it just smells better overall....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  01:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Ok I had to tell you...after the winter we had & my chickens not wanting to be out in the snow I ordered a 6ft by 8ft greenhouse today for them!!!!! yeah I know....but its one of the heavy tarped ones that I can place in the run up next to their coop door so they can come out on really nasty days...like today...its been raining heavy since yesterday & they won't go out in this anymore than they will in the snow.....plus in the summer/nice months I can move it easily to butt up against the run & open a section of the run into it so they can get to fresher grass & more sun....yes I must say i do have the 'chicken' sickness that seems to rule my every waking thought.....lol....its also 6 ft tall so I can get in & out of it easily & the side panels can be pulled up. i spent $286 plus $16 in Sate tax on it but saved $190 with it being on sale....I was going to build my own tarped building for them but by the time I priced everything it was going to be over $500....so maybe this is crazy to some...I am sure the hubby will roll his eyes when he hears but I can't free range mine & they have already gotten their run down to dirt & I want them to have more room to go & play in.......plus by being able to move it I can keep the grass in the areas I want & not have them tear or eat it all...but maybe they will get all the grubs I tend to get in this yard......plus I can get my inhouse hens that are injured out in the greenhouse on some of the nice days where the other chickens can see them but not get to them....& just maybe get some of them out into the big coop by this winter...which would be very nice....ok ok I know I am trying to justify why I did it...lol....I am just plain crazy about my chickens...what can I say!....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

EdenFarm
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Erin
Germantown WI
10 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  09:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Kris and Michele for the chicken coop advice. I'm glad I have time to work on it since my chicks are just 3 wks old. Gosh are they growing though! Do I really have to wait until they are completely feathered out to move them to the coop? Is that at 2 or 3 mos? I love having them in the house but if they continue to grow at the same rate I could have a Godzilla movie on my hands! I have a couple of coop follow up questions. I know white wash is commonly used in barns/out buildings. (Ours has not been painted in the interior) I'd like to do my coop and wondered if I would find the appropriate white wash at the farm supply store.(Can you tell I'm a greenhorn?) Also, white glue same as Elmers? I had been thinking a wheat paste but I like the idea of white glue under and over. When you spray the Diatomaceous earth do you add water? (That is probably a really lame question) I love the idea of a tarp stapled on the floor, anything to help with clean up. I wish Buffs had been available when I ordered my chicks. That was the breed I really wanted. Maybe I'll go through the process of adding to the flock when it's warmer out. I only have 8 right now and can say I've caught chicken fever. Loving it!
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  12:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Connie-my 9 year old is a Rhode Island Red/Silkie cross. It was a strange mix, and she's not really lovely to anyone but us. :D

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  5:49:46 PM  Show Profile
ok Erin, since most of your questions were from things I wrote I will answer the best I can for you....
Baby chickies...I put mine out when I know they can not get thur the chicken wire or fencing in their run nor can anything pull them thur it...for their own healthy wait til they are completely feathered out...my 2 that are only about 2 months old but out in the coop cause they are with momma are now feathered out & can actually fly...my 2, 3 week old ones in the house have some feathers...try to fly but are still partly fluffy & they can't compete with the cold yet for me
thats my biggest worry that they will get too cold or because they don't have feathers to protect their skin they can get hurt but tearing the skin open....so for me its all about the feathers...& weather.
The old fashioned white wash is lime based ( or even pure powdered lime)& can usually be found in places like a building supply shop...but here in Massachusetts they have no idea what I am talking about...lol..can you tell I am a southern girl??...anyway it is just mixed with water in a bucket & painted on...over time it has to be redone as the rains will eventually wash it off....it can be used inside & outside the coop to paint....also the powdered lime is great for grape vines if you have them & other plants that like a lot of lime.

Yes the white glue I mentioned was Elmers....its safe for any animal if it eats it...The wheat paste would work great for under the paper you put up but you may want to seal it with a water/glue mix so it stays up longer & is easier to dust off with out tearing it up.

The DE earth is actually used dry if wet its pretty much useless for killing mites & other bugs...what I do is get an old plastic bottle like a catsup or mustard bottle that has the squeese top hole...I put in the DE earth...yeap its messy to get in but put the top back on & now you have a way to squire into tight areas & its great for doing the nesting boxes cause you can tilt it where you want it & then squeeze...I recommend you don't squeeze too hard or you will have a cloud the size of Texas....By the time I am done with refilling the bottle a few times is the whole coop where there is wood has a good dusting.....what you are looking for is like when you haven't dusted a room in a bit & you have a thin layer of dust you can write your name in....lol....I promise as long as you let it settle before the chickens come back in they are safe....& any they walk thur or lay on will help them fight the mites....I also when I change the bedding hay do a light dust over the bedding so when they get in they lay down on it & it works its way thur the feathers to the skin....they can also eat this as it is good for internal worms...like I think I mentioned just mix a bit with the feed every week...don't worry if you put too much in the dried feed...they will get what they need....the reason you don't want it too heavy in the coop is you don;t want them breathing in lots of it when they move around...you too should make sure you have some sort of mask on when dusting or you will see what I mean. if you have a lot of baby chickies do a lighter dusting once you have them in when you change or heavy clean out the coop until they are bigger..their noses are closer to the ground so they will get more of the dust if its too heavy....another thing is this is also good to put in a plastic low sided tub with clay kitty litter & or sand & dry dirt for them to have their dust bathes in...at first they may just play in it til they figure out what it is...but have it outside not in the coop just make sure its where it can't get rained on & not near the food & water area....

I adore my tarp idea..people think I am crazy but it really is much easier & the coop doesn't get that awful eye burning smell if you have long hard winters & can't get out to the coop to do a heavy cleaning....even if I do a light cleaning & let the wet areas where they go to the bathroom the most under the roosting poles I don't have to mess with wet cement or wood floors that take forever to dry....just make sure you use very long staples & if needed hammer them down so nothing sticks up...you don't want them getting their nails caught in them...I run my tarps up the wall a bit so the bedding & wasted feed can't get under it & thats where I staple just to be on the safe side....I also check those stapled areas when I clean so if any are loose I remove them & retack it.
Now none of your questions are silly...I only know all this cause I read everything chicken I can get my hands on & then use what I think will work best for me...but the tarp idea was something I came up with after cleaning a friends coop that had wood floors & no matter what I did I could not get the smell out...& if I could smell it you know the chickens were having to deal with the eye burning & lung hurting........But I am glad that I have been able to help you in someway to make your chicken experience nicer....they are wonderful & I know you will enjoy raising them. Just know that once they get to egg laying that when you clean out the coop it might throw them off their laying for a bit....everytime I do a heavy cleaning some of my girls are upset enough that they take a few days to start laying again....even if they are outside when I do it...they just know something has been done even though I have not re-arranged anything.....some will do this if I rake out the run as well....Yes the Buffs are wonderful but I have gotten so many different chickens that I no longer have a favorite...even my longhorns who most everyone I talk to say are great egg layers but not as friendly have been some of my best...they will run up to me & actually let me pick them up without a fuss......I have yet to get any Rhode Island Reds who are said to be one of the best egg layers but not as friendly & not good mommas.....but if someone gives me a chicken healthy or sick or injured I love them all...I have Prudence who is a cochen who is the crankiest girl who tells me every little thing that should be done & tells on the others....but she & I get along just fine if I stop & listen to her...she will not let me hold her but she will stay right next to me if I sit down & let her talk...& when shes done she leaves...lol
Also before I close this I would say if nothing else buy the chicken medical book...at first you will think the chickens have every disease listed & panic...but once you calm down (I thought all my chickens were dying!) you will find this book is wonderful & VERY helpful...once you've had your chickens for a year or so you will quit running to the book in a panic but you will be able to see when a chicken really needs your help & other times when they are fine but just a bit under the weather....another thing I recommend is have at least 2 water-ers...you may not think you need them but you will see that having 2 really is a good thing even with only a few chickens.....now that you have a headache I will close....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:14:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading like crazy, (I'm a former researcher, so that is how I best learn!), to understand as much as I can about what I need to do for chickens. We will get our 'baby' Orpingtons on the 26th of May. My biggest question though is all the different types of bedding people have suggested from aspen chips vs. pine chips, to shredded newspaper to grass clippings to good ol' straw! Some people say 'don't use this', and others say 'you can'! I am thoroughly confused on the subject! I have been leaning towards aspen bedding for the chicks, and hopefully slowly mixing with shredded newspaper or lawn clippings (dried??) as they mature. Aspen shavings alone have a hefty price tag, so a mix or complete alternative is preferable. All will eventually need to be compostable though. What are all of your thoughts?
Also, When do you start cleaning the bedding? When it is moist on top? Or smelly, or just consider it a 'once a week' chore? Do you just take off the top layer and then do a thorough clean every once a while or completely every time? Can you tell I am very new at this lol !

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................

Edited by - plantcarazy on Apr 19 2011 3:39:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  6:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer! I have on my blog in Sept 2011 an article about the different types or bedding with some pros & cons on them from my experiences,,,there is articles about pesticides,medical kits ect in that months blog time frame as well if any of that will help you....Michele'
www.Theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

Edited by - batznthebelfry on Apr 19 2011 6:58:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  12:27:00 AM  Show Profile
I forgot when I gave you the info on the blog to write you about cleaning the coop...In the spring & fall I do a heavy duty cleaning...everything get scrubbed, scrapped ect but the rest of the year I clean it out more in the winter than in the nicer months cause my chickens won't come out in the snow so it gets smelly really quickly...I take out all the bedding that is wet to the floor if needed & in other areas where its dry I will take that & put it over where the wet stuff was so it gets reused...any wet or really smelly stuff goes out as needed....Sometimes with my 12 chickens in the big coop I can go up to 2 weeks in nice weather without cleaning up as much....bad weather...rain or snow it seems I am replacing bedding weekly or sometimes more often...its hard to say what will work for you until you have them in there & see just how messy they are....the under the purch area is always the worse & needs the most cleaning.....sometimes the nesting boxes get smelly/messy as well....Rule of thumb is if you walk in & you can smell urine it is beyond time to get it cleaned...because if you can smell that then your poor chickens are getting their eyes & lungs burned from it.....means more colds & chest/lung infections you have to deal with.....If you are free ranging & they only come in at night then I would say you got your work cut out for you for the most part....but use your judgement if you think its ok then it probably is, if you think my goodness it smells like a pig sty then clean it...lol....this last winter I was sick so I didn't get out like I should to clean so I ended up just throwing more bedding down at times with a good layer of DE earth between the wet & new bedding to help with the odors & help dry it up a bit.....by the time I was healthy enough to clean it I had at least 6 inchs or more of compacted bedding & 10 feed sacks full of it to deal with.....but sometimes this happens & you just do the best you can...as long as your hens aren't running out when you come in gasping for air, refusing to come back in even with a dog on their tail or picketing outside your front door you know they are alright.I try to keep mine clean & from outside you would never know I have chickens but I am a stay at home wife who has nothing so important that I can't go out & make them happy with bits of fresh bedding hay that I might add they never use as a bed....I guess in the chicken world bedding hay is actually poo catching hay....ok I will quit now....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page