violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  04:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Michele, They are soo cute - I just love the little chicks. I have to start coming up with some names for my little ones :)
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  06:40:21 AM  Show Profile
well how fun this is, lots of new chicks being born everywhere. i still have no broody hens. i think its a little early for our season here. it snowed yesterday. so the girls have set back a little. i sure hope they pick back up. the snow was a cold one. so hoping the sun will stay out today. hope you all have a great farm day. waiting to hear names for these babies. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile
yes Kristin these are the ones I stuck under Bess when she got broody....I never was into the whole chick thing but since I have 21 hens & I am only me this year I have more than enough eggs each day that I can do this when a broody hen comes along & I must admit I kinda love it when I hear them peep ...I love baby animals so they are in a good home here...lol....I also have some 3= yr old hens that aren't laying as much so when they get broody or if they get broody I don't mind them laying on a few eggs...I don't sell my eggs cause I have a few neighbors/friends I love giving my eggs to plus they never complain about CeeCee when he gets going with his crowing... I am off today to help my friend clean her 2 big coops & doctor her hens for mites, minor wounds ect....should be a long tiring day by the time I am done...75 chickens! but I love doing this for her so I do not mind one bit plus I will sleep well tonight....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  3:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Aw, Michele! How cute! I've finally got a broody hen-I swear TWO have gone broody and have been sharing the laying box-DH built 3 more laying boxes for them, o I'm hoping they don't give up on their current nests to make new ones-They've been laying about a week-week and a half, so hopefully in a few more weeks I'll have baby chicks!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  3:48:51 PM  Show Profile
so what are everyone's tip and tricks to keep your hens from roosting in the nesting boxes during the day.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Today decided to kick all the cats out of the house & let Bess & her 2 new babies have the run of the diningroom for a bit. Its so funny they are not even a week old & they are already ignoring momma when she calls them...lol...I put out some dried mealy worms & she got so excited & called & called & they just blew her off...well she got to eat them all! Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  1:50:57 PM  Show Profile
My husband just built this chicken coop for my hens. I call it the gypsy coop. We move it around the pasture every day or two.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  7:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh I ADORE that coop! what a sweet husband you have!

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  8:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Christy! Can I take your coop camping? I think it is great! Seriously cool. Tell him we love it!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  9:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey ladies, up until now I was avoiding this link. We moved off my farm, and into a new home in town. My DH fought about our chickens. He kept putting me off. For a year now I've quietly pouted for my chickens. I got the raised beds refreshed this year, traded my back lawn for a large garden, and he said o wouldn't get it all done!! Fist plantings are already in!! He was impressed, and said so. Tomorrow, my DH, myself and four kiddos go pick up our new chicken coop!!! Yea!!! Now, I need to pick up three or four young hens next week!! I'm so excited. No more pouting!!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  03:43:51 AM  Show Profile
DH just built me four new nesting boxes in my coop! My ladies have been laying like crazy, and since two hens are taking up the nesting boxes on nests (They'll hatch in about 1 1/2-2 weeks), he added more for me! I'm hoping I can keep these new chicks, once old enough, out by my garden to take care of any bugs. I also hope to raise the roosters for meat. My RIR's didn't go broody last year, but, I added some different breeds to the flock with great success! I can't wait for baby chicks! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  06:20:22 AM  Show Profile
What cute chicks ladies! Christy, that is a cool coop! I will be showing that to my hubs and Dad.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  07:12:08 AM  Show Profile
what a totally cool coop. i think the question was how to keep the girls from hanging out in nest boxes in the day. if your nest boxes are dark and private they usually only go in to lay. no light in beoxes. hope this helps. we will be moving the chicken tracter to the field this week. very exciting. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:38:49 PM  Show Profile
I am sooo dying...saturday cleaned 2 coops for a friend...yesterday cleaned out my bigger coop & today did the other one....I am sooo sore & none of them were really bad or anything...just all that bending....think I need to hire me a chicken cleaning coop kid...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:46:21 PM  Show Profile
I was bathing my chicken today as I thought she was egg bound...I noticed fleas coming off of her!!! now I think I may have a few...what do I do now?

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! A few in the house? On you? Strip and put all your clothes in a hot wash and then a hot dryer. Get in the shower! Wash and shampoo. If you have a fine tooth comb comb your hair in the shower to be sure you got them all out. If you are talking about the house, start vacuuming! Vacuum daily for a week to be sure you get them all. If you can get them before they lay eggs you are out of the woods. You will know in three weeks or so. If you have pets in the house keep an eye on them. The fleas will love them. If you treat your animals with Frontline or something like it you may not have a problem. They will bite the pet and die. They usually won't take over if there is a host pet that has been treated.
Good luck to ya!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, where have you been? I had to look twice to see that it was you. I have missed you. I bet that little boy has all grwon up by now. Are you sure they were fleas? I know chickens have mites and lice. I would do what Connie said. And throw away the vacuum bag every time too. Now I am itching.

So I got 14 eggs today. I found another interesting egg laying place today. I heard a hen singing the egg laying song out the front window. So went to look. We ahd a big white pine tree that fell over last year and it left a nice hole with the trunk still attached. Just perfect for some game hens to lay their eggs. It's nice and dark and cool under there. I found 2 eggs there. So yet another spot to look for eggs. These hens are so creative.

And now I have not 1, not 2 but 3 turkey hens setting in the same corner on eggs. All together. It's so cute. I am taking a camera tomorrow with me. They all look so nice and comfy cozy all together. I wonder when the 4th hen will join them. I have got to put just one hen with the eggs in a cage. I like turkey eggs. I have been using them in my bread and the bread is so soft. The eggs are really big. But I don't need all 4 hens setting on a nest of eggs right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  9:15:49 PM  Show Profile
I bet those weren't fleas...I bet your hen has mites...but its the same thing as far as the bathing, washing clothes ect but you will need to dust your hens if they are coming out where you can see them......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  06:59:16 AM  Show Profile
just a thought, but DE would work and not be a toxic chemical.. you can put it on the chicken and the nest boxes. it works for me. hope you get it figured out sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  07:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherry I have a novice question. What is DE?
Connie

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile
We have all these baby chicks and I want to start feeding them Organic food, what do you think is the best Brand for egg layers? When can you start feeding chicks, veggies? what about mites, and other things they get that can irritate them and us? I want good healthy chickens, and I know what you feed them is very important.
We are getting two Partridge Rocks today! that will complete our little chick family :)
Thanks for all your help
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Ruth-Finding organic feed for poultry is not easy! At least not here in the mid south. The closest feed mill to me that ships is Countrysidenaturals.com It is really expensive with shipping! Could not make a profit on eggs if selling them. You can make it yourself if you can get organic grains individually. There are lots of recipes on the web. I recently found a local (50 miles) mill that says they can do layer feed. I need to meet with them to see what they would use. If there are others that want organic grains for their chickens you could form a co op and order in bulk to split between you. That would decrease the shipping cost. Check the web to see if there is a farm store near you that sells organic. There were a smattering of them when I looked but none near me. There was one in Atlanta but I don't remember their name.
A word of caution, you have to carefully store your grain. Unlike commercial feed it will go stale. It also will mold if not kept dry. What ever you choose to feed them make sure they get lots of greens too.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Connie (CMac) for answering Ruth's question! I was just getting on the forum to ask the very same thing! I have such mixed feeling about buying commercial feed and want to try mixing my own, but have heard that mixing own can be very expensive.... I guess will start on commercial feed and experiment from there. Any thoughts on compost scraps(vegetable peels, etc.) to supplement feed chickens? I have heard that you can and some say you can't on the web.

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer- I am going to start a new topic to see what the other chicken people say about kitchen scraps and what else they feed their girls. I know potato peels are not good but let's see what they say!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:53:46 AM  Show Profile
hellooo...yes Kristen it is me!! and Oliver...aka Big O is almost 3 and the love of our lives:)
I had the chicken in a warm water bath as I thought she might be egg bound...so that is why I think the little creepy crawlies were coming out...I did a wash down of the area , and washed my clothes and everything else...thanks everyone

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page