kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  12:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I bet that was funny! Was she surprised? I know what ya mean about losing an egg. I dropped 2 the other day. I almost cried. Slipped right through my fingers. So now I take a little bucket just in case. Then sometimes I put a few in a pocket. I'm sure you've been there and done that. Not fun. But I have had hens just drop an egg on the run and keep going. I'll find them all over the place in unexpected places. SO I am always on the lookout for eggs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  12:42:32 PM  Show Profile
you girls are so fun i love the stories. had to stop for a break. we loaded the huge 12,000 pound dump trailer to the top with junk. LOL papa is off to the dump. we let things go some when we thought we would lose the farm. now we are cleaning up for farm tours. yipee have a new customer coming tomorrow for a tour. gotta put fresh chips down now. by the way the chips are working great so far. pigs only snacked on them. they are mostly juniper pine and elm. i am careful with the pine. i think it would be the hardest to digest if they did eat it. the pigs are rolling in it. the hens get some today. gotta be clean and cute tomorrow. so i now have 2 new customers this week. kris i agree on the fiber and having fiber animals. the girls here sure know their stuff. i know nothing. i am thinking of learning how to do a basic slipper or something to start learning. i have never had sheep or lamb meat. so whats it taste like? well grace what fun at your farm. happy days to you all. hi jenny, if i have not said it yet, a big warm farmgirl howdy to you. sherrye back to chores.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  4:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Grace, we must have posted at the same time a few posts up. I just saw where you said you gave your hen that laid the big egg some drops for trauma and took some yourself! You are hilarious! I bet you are feeling good now too. I can just see you now giving her a few drops then taking a few too.

Sherrye, you have been a busy farmgirl today. I hope you get the farm all cleaned up and ready for people to come. How fun. All we did today was fix the gate post with concrete then I started to put fertilizer on the pasture but it started to rain again. And it has not stopped since. It's flooding out there. I'm afraid now all the seeds will float away. All that for nothing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:30:59 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, i hope the rains are gentle for you. it would be sad for it to all wash away. remember our gardens last year. all the flooding a lot of girls exp. i still have a clump of carrots all bunched up in a pile growing. we did work hard yesterday i miss my friends that were helping out here. their car broke, so they do not come now. we sure slicked up some piles. GRACE i use the rescue remedy too. i will try it on the critters next time. still waiting on babies here. wondering how all the new babies out there are doing? happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  07:12:33 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies I admit I too need to calm myself after the continual stress that can sit this farm but also I know if I am not standing then nothing gets done..

Sorry to hear about the rains - we are expecting 4 to 8 inches of snow in the next two days - crud! I had hoped to get hay brought in but we will see. Sherrye I will be posting later today about the babies and start the naming contests so stop in this evening if you wish to play.

I had a question - on some of the girls who the roo's pulled out their tail feathers the skin looks dry - any suggestions as to what to put on it. I was thinking tea tree spray but wanted to know what you might use. A few of the hens keep pecking on other's bald tail. I checked for creepy crawlers on the skin and did not find any.. Suggestions??

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  08:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Grace, aloe gel would be good. Also I make a paste for wounds using aloe gel and turmeric. It works wonders and heals very fast. I use it on all the critters and us too.

Those silly chickens. Out all day in the pouring rain. Soaking wet. And even a few roosted out on the fence. I don't know how they think, if they do, but they just don't seem very bright to me sometimes. A nice warm dry barn with roost and they roost out in the rain. I don't know.

There is a feed store that has sexed chicks for just $2. each. Would y'all get any? Most places sell them between $4 and $5 a piece. And they have Buffs. They get them every Monday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  09:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Kristin - thanks for the info I will make some up and spread it on tonight when they get ready to go to bed.

I have no real good advise about the chicks -I do know they are a good price but I have heard mixed reviews. I know you will make the right decission.

Now also don't fault those who stay out in the rain - I am guilty of never knowing when to come in from the storm as well!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  6:45:26 PM  Show Profile
well if it were me i would buy them. if you think you can sell the eggs kris. i make money on my chicken eggs. we were able to get the house for the chicken tractor on the flat bed today. it is going t make a fine coop. they are giving me 3 to 4 dozen a day now. yipee sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  5:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Garce you are too funny!!

My dh foot is in a cast so I am now the chicken caretaker and I gotta tell you, yesterday I went out to feed them and they were freaked out because I was there, not him. After all, he sings to them & spoils them rotten! Well, they started jumping & flying and one ran out the door, stopped dead in her tracks, and looked liked she was in shock and turned around and ran back in with almost a sigh of relief! She had ran out into the snow which she has never been in. I'm sure she couldn't figure out what was worse, me or the snow, lol! Could have used your trauma drops Grace!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  6:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh ginny that is too funny.....I am the same way as your husband but I don't sing...lol...but every morning they hear me as I open their door & say 'good morning girls' and I talk to them the whole time I am in there with them....last year I went to my sisters reunion & let my husband take care of them.....he was so worried about feeding them even though I told him how much ect he ended up given my hens 50lbs of feed & 25 lbs of cracked corn!!! he said they would just look at him & he felt guilty so would add more feed until they were all at the bowls/feeders.....lol...he even talked to them since I told him it makes them not so jumpy....here is a man who doesn't say 2 words in the house in a week out there talkin' to the 'girls'...my neighbor girl had to tell me all about it when I got home

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

KatrinaMT
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Katrina
East Helena MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  07:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Would anyone be interested in submitting to a list of blogs that people have? I just started a chicken blog inspired by our new chicks and finally moving to a home where we could have some small livestock. Here's the link if anyone want to read my first couple of posts :) http://thechickenwire.blogspot.com/2011/03/phase-i-chicks-story.html
I'd love to have a spot I could go to to quickly reference other people's experience, but if that isn't something people are interested in I didn't want to start a new topic. Let me know what you think!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile
as I see it you can never have too much information...:) I have been writing about my chickens for quite sometime.....some of my stuff is info you may want such as what to have in a medical kit ect if you are interested it is http://theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Also you may want to check out Grit mag site, they have areas that deal with chickens..I also write for them about chickens...there is a guy there called the chicken whisper-er that is fairly well known & is really good.
have a great day...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Kathy Pickenpaugh
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

kathy
Fort Jones Ca
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  4:40:40 PM  Show Profile
Am in CA, can't find Red Cornish Cross, or Red Ranger or Red Broiler available as chicks in Western US. Any ideas
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  7:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Today, in the middle of the day, we had a coyote try to get into the chicken coop today! I got up early and I was going to let them out but I didn't feel right about it so I just shrugged it off and was going to let them out later. I went upstairs to purge through the kids clothes and I heard the dog barking like crazy so I looked out the windows but I couldn't see anything so I just figured she was barking at a leaf or something. . . guess not! I went outside and sure enough the coyote tried getting into the door and then ran towards the barn. I mean really, during the middle of the day? I think it is a mom coyote. Maybe not, I guess I do not know much about how they raise their young but if anything eats one of my chickens it better be my family. I can't wait to butcher a rooster or two, its been too long since we've had meat in this house and a coyote better not think it is going to get one from me! This mama needs food for her family too :) Hope our dog scared it away for good. She is right next to the coop! Nice set up! I just had to share my story from today!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:12:51 AM  Show Profile
oh my krystle, that is scarey to me. i would say if she is hungry enough to come up in day light might be dangerous. thats very bold of the coyote. i saw on a movie.LOL coyotes kill for food. wolves kill for fun. so she is hungry i bet. i know the deer here are getting closer to the house now. stay safe farmgirl. he will be back if he was the one to kill the other chicken. keep a keen eye out when you are out. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  05:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Turkey eggs!! This morning I found 2 of them in the turkey coop! I am so excited! But now what? They were just laying on the floor in 2 different places. So I guess I need a laying box. I am going to go look for something today while I am out. Maybe a real strong sturdy box or a plastic type tote box. I have to go to Kmart so I will look there. Now I guess I can eat them just like hen eggs, right? They aren't much bigger than a hen egg. And so pretty. Nice brown-reddish spots on them. I hope to sell some to someone who wants to incubate them. Anyone else with turkey experience here?

Krystle, so sorry to hear about that nasty coyote trying to get in. Good thing you have an alert dog alarm. I hope it stays away.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  08:17:36 AM  Show Profile
yes you can eat turkey eggs just like chicken.duck or goose eggs...just don't need as many...lol I think it is so cool you are getting eggs from your turkeys that means they are happy & healthy.
Well Mother the hen who has been broody & laying on a bunch of eggs still hasn't hatched any...I think she is one of the smart ones that ran & jumped up on the roosting bar whenever CeeCee decided to hit on the girls...so they all may be just eggs & no babies...I haven't candled any yet...may do that tonight...but she has been on them for over a month now so i think she will not be a momma this time around....but I am hoping to be surprised. all of my hens have been doing very well, i just took over 4 1/2 doz eggs to my neighbor girl...thats about 5 days of eggs for the hens right now...which is pretty good I might say....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:51:16 AM  Show Profile
I was just at Kmart trying to find something for the turkey hens to lay their eggs in. I had a few plastic totes then started trying to find something made in the USA. The plastic totes were made in China. Well, I found the good ole tin foil turkey roaster pans. They are made in the USA! ANd way cheaper too. Just 42.99 each. So I got 2. And when I need to cook a turkey, I can use the pan! Naw, I probably wouldn't do that, just thought it was funny.

Michele, since they just take 21 days, I'd say they won't be hatching. Be careful none of them break. That is the nastiest stench in the world.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  12:15:25 PM  Show Profile
oh yeah I know about broken eggs....i had one that had a baby in it that Mother accidently hit instead of me & I had to throw it away...felt so bad since this one did have a baby in it....hey the turkey pans sound like a good idea....yeah I am sure after a bit they would no longer be good to cook in...lol....I know you are joking about that...& yes it is harder to find anything made in the USA anymore.....i am sure chini just loves us for all the stuff we buy from them.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  2:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Can you feed baby chicks carrot peelings or other treats? We only fed our last chicks starter feed, and now have 6 more chicks this year. Just wondering if I can give them these as treats, and what is best to feed them at a young age.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile
hello Kristina...you can get the baby chicks ground up carrot peelings once they are are about 6 weeks old before that they need the feed more than anything to help get their little systems into top shape...not if they are outside they will start eating everything momma hens calls them over to...but normally if not out side its best that they get the feed only....i do tend to wet their feed at this age & throw in a bit of raw oatmeal they seem to do fine with that....i guess you can try it & if there is no ill effects you are ok.....who knows, momma hens have them out eating worms ect from the start so I guess its no big deal....I am just a big worrier & am afraid I might give them something they could choke on or if they aren't getting enough grit they won't be able to get it thur their gizzard.....everyone has different thoughts on this so I say go for it & just watch....I am sure they would love it & think its orange worms...lol...:) Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  07:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  07:52:15 AM  Show Profile
For those of you that sell your eggs, how much are you charging for them? The reason I'm asking is that I have been selling mine for $2.50 a dozen. But I went to the Chattanooga market the other day and everyone there sells theirs for $5.00 a dozen. Then I went to the feed store where I get all my feed and there in the cooler are some of the same eggs that she's selling there for $4.00. The very same eggs. I sadi something about them and she said that they are so pretty. Well, so are mine so I am going to raise my price to $3.50. I don't want to be selfish but the guy I started selling eggs to a few weeks ago told me I was too low. ANyway, just wondering.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:23:22 AM  Show Profile
i should raise my price on eggs too. only folks are short money now. i sell at 3.00 out the door. i sell wholesale to a produce store for 2.50 she buys all i do not sell here. so today she get 15 dozen. it realy helps out on feed for all my stock. egg profit is good. the earthquake is so sad. we have family evacuating in coos bay oregon. hope all is well for you sherrey

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  12:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I am cheap. I sell mine for 1.00! I must be doing something wrong? I also have all these amish seliing theirs for 1.50, So I went under that. But now I am having a hard time selling my tinted eggs. What is the big deal?

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page