batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile
up here people sale their eggs for $3 or so but at the feed store just down the road you can get them for $1.99 & he will buy them from you for $1.75 I am hoping once my neighbor girls hens start laying to sell mine to the feed store since I get my chicken feed, cat food ect from there....i know that those who go completely organic can get more for theirs up here but I find $3 or more a dozen is just too high for me...thank goodness I have my own......in the spring once all my girls are laying I could get a good thing going with the feed store man who is really sweet though tries to act grumpy...lol....i know at one time long ago you could get eggs at a dime per one....
Oh by the way went out & checked on Mother...the broody hen & candled the 4 she had under her...2 were duds but the other 2 might hatch but am still unsure...but my co-op lady alwasy has broody hens (75 hens ) so when I go see her monday I may see if I can hear any peeks from the eggs & take a couple to put under Mother,....that would make her very happy I think as the 2 she now has I think are long past hatching age....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  1:53:04 PM  Show Profile
I was out getting eggs from the goat barn awhile ago. I had pulled back the curtain thingy over the big door to air it out when I let the pigs out earlier. Well, there on the floor just behind that curtain sat a hen. I thought they had made a new nest there. So I felt under her and there were a ton of eggs. I picked her up and I tell ya what, there were 14 eggs! Dad gum chickens. So I will keep those and crack each one separtately when I use them. They weren't very warm but she sure acted broody. I'm going to go check in a few and see if she's still there.

Michele, I sure hope you can find some good eggs for that girl. She deserves to be a momma after sitting that long.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  3:27:19 PM  Show Profile
just had to tell you all....Mother had 2 babies hatch sometime yesterday after I checked on her!! I am so thrilled...one is all black & the other is yellow with a black mark on its head...she still has one egg that I think some other hen laid in there today after she moved out but she wanted it so I am letting her lay on it with the babies...somehow she got them to the ground from a 4 ft high nesting box without either breaking legs....I got her a new hidden area in the coop for her & the youn's......I had to have a tooth pulled todday so it was so nice to come home from the dentist & see 2 new babies....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  08:44:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping you all can help me out here. I wouldn't know where else to look! I live in the city and technically can't have chickens, BUT I have a large city lot and would love to have a couple. I would need to find a type of chicken that doesn't make a ton of noise or need a lot of space (I'd really like to pen them in behind the garage about an 8' by 20' space). Any ideas? Is this possible or a pipe dream?

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  2:25:40 PM  Show Profile
hi amy, i think it is possible. some girls are way noisy and others not. some one else may know of a breed. sounds like a plan to me. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  3:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I am not suppose to have chickens either but I live on a double dead end street & the old timers on this block said there have always been chickens here so they never complain....I have found that my white leghorns are the quietest of the bunch & they lay a huge white egg! The buff orpington are also fairly quiet that I have....these 2 breeds only seem to get nosiy when they lay their eggs but thats normal as they are trying to keep preditors away from the eggs & to focus on them.....plus if you only have 2-3 you can also bring them into house & into a big dog metal cage...both breeds will follow you around like a puppy dog once they are comfortable with you...good luck Amy...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  5:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy. I have Buff Orpington and game hens. The game hens are crazy noisy. Very vocal birds. But the Buffs are great. Laid back and so sweet. I think that space is plenty big enough for about 6 hens. I would go for it.

I have some window boxes on the 2 front windows. I saw a hen up in one of them so I went over to shoo her out. I even have sticks stuck in the boxes to keep them out. Well, it don't work! And there were 4 eggs in there! I just never know where I will find eggs around here.

Cograts on the little chicks, Michele!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  01:22:47 AM  Show Profile
I sold some turkey eggs to a lady that wanted to incubate them. I told her I really didn't know if they would be fertile yet. She said she'd take them anyway. Even if she got a few it would be worth it. She took 9. I said if she didn't get any I would give her some more later. Harper looks like he could be doing the deed but I am not out there watching him so don't really know yet. I am getting 2-3 a day now.

I am also raising the price of my eggs to $3. I was swapping 2 dozen eggs for a gallon of milk from my friend who has Jerseys while my goats are dry. So she went up a dollar on her milk. I will be getting goat milk in about a month so that's ok. But the price of grain is going higher every day it seems. And she feeds her 2 cows alot twice a day.

And I only got 9 eggs today. Those silly birds have found another place to lay their eggs. I just have to find it again. This is so fun

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 16 2011 01:24:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  10:45:04 AM  Show Profile
I hope your fine Tom gives the lady some babies Kris....i can also get cows milk here for $3 gallon but have to drive 25 miles to get it so I only get it when I am up that way...We have a lady nearby who also sells milk but hers is $6 a gallon which for me is just too high...thank goodness I am not a big milk drinker or have children in the house but I sure do love it when i have it. My 2 new baby chicks are doing good, they are so cute....I finally got the chickens to go outside now that some of the snow is gone but today it is raining cats & dogs & they won't come out....such picky little things...got both coops cleaned yesterday thank goodness....The basement coop area will be re-done this year as I didn't like the set up & the 5 chickens only used one area where the cat tree so plan to put in a real coop I had build years ago that is just old doors cut in half but the top has screening where I had the heat lamps...I think it will be better for them as the heat will be centerlized instead of trying to heat a large area. They did just fine this winter but we had a milder winter than normal so I want them to have a better place to roost/sleep.. The outside run they have is really large & I have a childs plastic playhouse out there plus a childs froggie wading pool set up for Jasper the duck...its so shallow that if the chickens do somehow get in it they can get out. I am hoping to get a few more gronw ducks for him to have companions...but he is the size of he mallards & trying to fine small ducks up here without ordering them is tough...I hate ordering because of the 13 chickens I got thur an order I lost all but one within 6 months..so anyway we will see....not ready for them anyway yet so I will think about it. Bess now is broody so am thinking of grabbing some of the eggs from the big coop where CeeCee my big rooster is for her to lay on so she might actually hatch some chicks....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:46:11 PM  Show Profile

I have finally got it! Yay! So this was a few years ago. But this is still what I see every morning out my door. They are telling me to give them their breakfast. Now I just have mainly Buffs and some game hens and LOTS of roos.

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 16 2011 7:48:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:52:26 PM  Show Profile
yipee kris, you posted a pic. now i want to see goats happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  05:18:23 AM  Show Profile
aw! So cute to see them waiting for you! My hens had a good 14 eggs in the box yesterday, but they didnt seem to be sitting-I'm going to see if I can catch one sitting today. I want chicks! LOL

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  03:02:28 AM  Show Profile
ok girls. So, I can't TELL if my hens are really sitting or not. I went to the coop, and no hen was on the eggs. But, they were warm. Not SUPER warm, but warm. I said "Well, they must not be sitting" and I took all the eggs. On my way out the barn one of the hens went to the laying box and looked in.

I mean, if she wasn't sitting, why would she go and look in? So I put all the eggs back. I'm so confused! (I'm sure the hens are too!)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  05:32:59 AM  Show Profile
My hen is sitting on them. Goodluck finding her off them. I have noticed she leaves the nest for a few minutes at dusk. She ventures about 2 feet away. I keep food and water close. She also made her nest close to the alfalfa hay. She is very noisey when we are about 10 feet from the nest. She is a buff orp and is on 12 eggs. I am hoping a few more goo broody and i have 40 in the incubator.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  05:42:10 AM  Show Profile
Megan, my Buffs never left the nest once they started setting. My game hens now, they would for just enough time to run and get some scratch, then right back to the nest.

What I did when they were setting in one of the nesters is take the eggs and hen and put them in a cage with food and water toward the end of the 21 days. That way the chicks are safer and she has time to get them grown a little. But most of the time now, they are either hidden really good or they are in a box or a shelf in the garage or in the milkroom. So just check throughout the day to see if any are setting. I also would take out all the game hen eggs and just put Bugg eggs under them. And you can also put a little x with a marker to see which ones are the beginning eggs. Good luck.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  09:49:46 AM  Show Profile
Megan some hens don't leave the eggs so you have to put water/feed near them others will get up for a bit & got get water/feed & just move around a bit....Mother would get out of her nest to get water/feed since she was in one of the higher nesting boxes but Bess who just got broody hasn't moved so I put feed/water near her....they are funny that way, you just never know what type of broody hen they will be until it happens....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Hildi has laid 2 eggs!! 1 yesterday and 1 today! Very bluish green and very long. I am so proud of her. I had seen one of the roos on her and said I bet she'll lay some eggs now. And she did. I love that hen.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  12:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Kristin! It is always wonderful when a hen starts to lay & yes they are so proud of themselves cause now they are BIG girls...lol.....the weather here has been beautiful so I set up a large child fencing area & put my4 hens & 1 duck from the house outside in it the last 3 days....I would love to put them with the other gippy chickens in the basement coop but 2 have bad limps that I am afraid will get worse if with the others but I may put the childs fencing in their run & try it that way for a bit to see how it goes & maybe let one out after a week or so then do the others if it works out well...... I don't mind them in the house but my allergies need a rest!!!lol...plus I think in the long run they would do better but if not I have the cages in the house for them if needed again...which seems to be a on-going thing here....I think ok I have everyone out & then someone gives me another injured baby & out come the cages again...lol...thank goodness I love them so much cause I never ever mind it. Bess is still laying on the 3 eggs I put under her.....I just wish she would eat more...need to get out the jars of baby food & mix it with her feed, that always seems to get them to eat as does cottage cheese. Mother & her 2 new babies are doing great, I went out this morning & the babies were just running around like crazy having a great time....when the other chickens are out in the run they, the babies become fearless...lol....or until momma calls them back....have a wonderful day everyone...M'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  4:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirl sisters, I need help, after all these years of raising chickens, my hen Pearl, has started laying eggs without the shell. I have 2 places where they get oyster shell and then once a week I spread it with there scratch. She just laid while standing up by the water container in the chicken yard, in front of me. I thought she was acting funny, so I just watched, there was one yesterday in the nest box and then today. I looked in my 3 chicken books that I have and all they say is calcium, which I am already doing. She will be a year old end of this month.
Has anyone else had this problem. What do I do? What can I do? After she laid this egg, she went to eating and scratching just like the others just like nothing was wrong. She looks ok, her eyes are clear. If you can help, please let me know. I know I can count on my Farmgirls. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  8:48:36 PM  Show Profile
to be honest this is not something to worry about, she may have messed up her laying cycle somehow & is actually laying the egg too early. With what you have said about feed & oyster shell she is getting what she needs. I have this happen more often than not when one of my hens gets upset over something...you may not see her get upset but it triggers something inside her so that she may lay too early or whats called double lay....one egg fully ready, the other with the thin membrane & no shell....once her system calms down she should go right back to laying normal eggs....you didn't say how old pearl was so it also could be that she is getting older & is starting the new cycle where she lays fewer eggs & some she is pushing out too soon....Just watch her, if she is acting normal she is just going thur some kind of change plus since you live in Texas do you treat them for internal worms? this can also cause eggs to be delivered too early. Put a cap full of Apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water every day.....It is very good for them plus will kill off any intestinal bugs/worms they might have....keep us posted honey....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  12:40:46 AM  Show Profile
I have had good luck with Cackle Hatchery. My favorite breed is Plymouth Rocks...very hardy girls and lay great and most friendly. Backyardchickens.com is a great site that I belong to....check it out! Have fun!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  05:55:44 AM  Show Profile
What age can you start baby chicks on clabbered milk?

"COURAGE is being scared to death,
but saddling up anyway. -John Wayne"

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:13:05 AM  Show Profile
good morning, my thought on the chicks would be wait till they are feathering out to change their diet. i usually wait till they are on regular food and doing good on it. i do feed red worms when they are first starting to feather out. it is so fun to watch them run with a worm. its a serious game of keep away. the chicks look so cute and happy. none of my girls want to sit yet. i suppose thats good. we have had harsh weather lately. when the irrigation canals come on next month our girls get to go to pasture. i love free range happy birds. this will be our first year this way. we shall see if they like it and do ok. it is so great this community is here. thanks MF for supplying this place to gather. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele, the upsetting makes sense. I moved 4 hens over to their house about 2 nights before during the night, so they wake up in the new spot, (I put my baby turkeys in their house.) And Pearl is the one that does not want them coming in the house in the evening and will even stand at the top of the ramp, so they can't get in the roost. She is so funny.. Will watch and see if this calms down. Thanks so much---you got me thinking. Farmgirl #946
P.S. I just started putting apple cider vinegar in the water last week when our weather got a lot warmer. Also the girls free range during the day, and with the time change, it is a little later that I go and open the door, because of raccoons, I have to wait until daylight. That might be the cause also. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  11:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear from you Linda...yes what we think will not effect them, surely will everytime...lol...I bet they were all freaking over waking up in a new place......whether you saw it or not...yeah Pearl sounds like my prudence...she is the bossy one & will do things like Pearl does but she also comes to me & complains about whats going on.....boy can that girl ever talk! yes the raccoons can cause untold amounts of stress on the chickens...so it sounds like it was a combination of the move & raccoons that could have caused the soft shell eggs.....I too, have to wait til its completely light out before I open the run door unless I am out there...we have fishercats, related to the mink family that are super mean...2 yrs ago one got a chicken & one of my rabbits...make me sick to my stomach when I found the rabbit....it was messed up bad....anyway good to hear from you & hope Miss Pearl calms down soon but they may be off laying for a bit with the coop change.....every time I even clean the coops my some of my girls will quit laying for a bit....they enjoy the nice house keeping but it messes them up a bit...even though I keep everything where its always been! :)....worse than a child!!!!! Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page