chloesmom011
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

trudy
duncan sc
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh I know , when those girls start to laying they are so noisy! It makes me laugh every time when I hear them but I know what is coming and I love to find those big brown eggs. When I used to live in Arkansas I had almost 50 chickens and when I would get 4 or 5 of them at the same time laying the noise was hilarious, and I always had a few cheerleaders out in the run adding to the noise! As for the poo, no good solutions there, but I do use DE in my coops and it helps a lot to keep down the smell and keep it dry. Living in SC though with all the red clay really does make for a really hard run for them though and watching them try to dig that up to dust bath in is so funny. Good thing I have red chickens cause what a mess they would be if they were white.

Loving the country life in my little space in the city.

http://sunflowerfarms1.blogspot.com/

Edited by - chloesmom011 on Feb 24 2011 4:01:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  6:59:45 PM  Show Profile
hi trudy welcome to mjf. so glad you joined in. so i found out the red star is a red sexlink. i thought they looked like a sexlink. thats fine by me. i like them too. they are calm and happy. there a 3 roosters. i have a welsummer rooster already. so will have to decide. yesiree are we in eggs. the girls are 7 months. i think they will cut back some from the move. so now i am getting 4 dozen a day. i am so happy. i cooked all day and watched wagon train and a german film. fun. so glad all you girls are getting eggs too. so i have about 75 hens now. all young. happy days sherrye kris when you doing the turkeys?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  03:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sherry, and I thought I had a lot with 26 hens! You must be having fun with your new girls(and boys) though!
I've missed reading all about the chicken adventures here...Kristin, tell me the worst thing about having turkeys, I'm going to be ordering some soon.
Welcome Trudy- you'll love it here! I agree with you about the Buffs they are so sweet, but my favorites are my Speckled Sussex hens, they are so sweet and curious, and let me pet them all the time.
We also have 9 Freedom Ranger meat chickens, that due to a family crisis never made it to the butcher bloc when they were supposed to. Imagine my surprise a few weeks ago, when I discovered an egg in their coop!! I am thrilled, because they are very sweet and laid back and healthy. We are going to keep one of the Roosters and 3 of the hens and incubate their eggs.
We are getting anywhere between 16 and 23 eggs a day right now, and selling most, but I do have plenty to cook with.
I love my chickens!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  10:27:31 AM  Show Profile
I feel so bad...I was checking the eggs under my broody hen & when she pecked me she accidently pecked thur one of the eggs that had a developing baby inside...I try to check the eggs & take out any new ones so she has plenty of room for the older eggs...Man it was just plain awful for my heart...so now I think I will just leave them alone until near the end when I have to move her & eggs to a cage on the floor.....good lesson learned but so painful...My one white leg horn girl that is in the house cause of a leg injury is laying eggs the size of goose eggs!!!! these puppies are so big I feel for her when she lays...must be painful for her but boy is she sooo proud. I have a beautiful blue Buff Orpington girl that for some reason lays eggs that are dainty but she is a good layer & a very sweet girl. I have yet to find my favorite breed, I tend to love them all & all their crazy ways but I do have a girl who is a tiny rumpless americana that just melts my heart...she is going on 2 this spring & I adore this spunky little girl...she is only the size of a frizzle because when she was young she had seasures & stopped growing but she gives out beautiful soft green eggs & has ruled her coop of 3 other hens & a frizzle Rooster....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  11:07:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad I'm not the only one with broody hens! I think the weather lately has them all confused-we're still going to have some cold weather, so, I'm not sure whether to let them sit or not.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  12:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, turkey poults like it very warm. The only one that dies on me when I first got them was because I had forgotten to turn the heat lamp on and it got chilled. But it was too late. So they need lots of heat. And I got mine in June. They were pretty easy to raise. They grow FAST! So I had to keep going to bigger cages. I put them out in the coop when they were just about 3 months old. And unless you keep them in a coop with a top on it they will fly over. Mine would fly over the fences and they go everywhere. The hens will get away from the poor tom too. They will not stay together. We have only butchered 2 so far but I want to butcher the other 2 toms. I just want one tom and the 4 hens. I have not seen a single egg yet. I started feeding them laying feed a few months ago.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

chloesmom011
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

trudy
duncan sc
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  4:48:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I do love it here everyone is wonderful. I must tell you that you girls have some beautiful blogs. Brenda I spent about an hour on yours its is so wonderful. Michelle don't feel to bad, I did the same thing a couple of years ago with one of my broodys. It happens to the best of us. So if you girls get a chance please go check out my new blog for me. You all have inspired me so much that I am trying my hand at one but I really don't quite know what I am doing yet, but I am trying. My girls are getting so cranky lately, they are about 17 weeks old now and some are starting to really get the pink combs, so I know that they are not long until they start laying. The thing that bothers me is they are getting so bossy with each other that they are pulling each others tail feathers out and they are looking bad . Once they start laying they do stop this don't they ? Shesh, grumpy old hens.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  6:30:54 PM  Show Profile
trudy are you sure they are puling feathers? they could be molting. if they are pecking and pulling feathers they may need some fat in their diet. peanut butter bacon rind or we offer fat from our steers or red worms. they have no bugs this time of year. hope you get it figured out. happy egg gathering sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

chloesmom011
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

trudy
duncan sc
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:04:32 AM  Show Profile
I don't think they are molting as they are only about 17 weeks old. I think part of it is trying to establish the pecking order before they start laying. I have 18 chickens in a 10 x10 coop and I have a run the is 10 x 12 so I don't really think it is a room issue either. I think they are just bored or kinda cranky. If I need to I will take my 5 buff girls out and put them in another run until they start to lay. I will try to give them some more fat of some kind and I think I will try to hang a couple cabbage heads in the run for them so they have something else to do and maybe that will help. Thanks Sherry

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  11:01:08 AM  Show Profile
I am still getting 2-3 dozen eggs daily! My hens are so busy, today I climbed and pulled down hay as I climbed. Once at the top I found a nest full of eggs and a hen. I do not want broody hens right now so I pulled them. I will allow it at the end of March. But right now is too cold and no good options for keeping them warm.
I have a monitor on all the time right now, and man I hear my hens more then anybody!
Nice to see a new member has joined us. Welcome Trudy!
Stay warm and dry!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  1:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,

I am excited to say I got my new chicks last Friday and they are doing great! I ordered 50 RIR day old chicks and split them with my nephew who is a chicken-a-holic just like me. I only lost one which is good b/c I lost 4 the last time I got some. Maybe I am learning. LOL I love reading about all of your experiences. Maybe I can offer advice in the future!

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636
Go to Top of Page

chloesmom011
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

trudy
duncan sc
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  2:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the fuzzy butts! I know how exciting little chicks can be. I can not believe that my girls are already 4 months old and just about getting ready to lay soon. I miss the chickie hood part!

Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile
LOL They DO have fuzzy butts don't they...hahaha They are so much fun!

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  05:35:03 AM  Show Profile
thought i would drop in and see how all the chickens are doing? all is good here. today they get red worms yum for them.. hope all is good for you. we are getting about 3 to 4 dozen eggs a day so far. hope it keeps up. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  4:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Our local feed store got a lot of different chicks in last week. Then got some Buffs. Those were all gone in less than a day but the others are mostly still there. And they won't be able to get any more til the end of May and they will be straight run. So it looks like people are buying lots of Buff chicks. I wanted to get some more but I want some that are about 6 months old and starting to lay.

I am getting 13 eggs a day now! And I have them either sold or bartered for milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  4:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have experience with eggshells with one small hole in them? It is not pecked out, there is a small pile of extra shell next to the hole and the egg membrane inside is intact. This is the second such egg from one of my 3 year old banty's. I am worried that there is a "blib" somewhere along the line where the shell is put on the egg, perhaps it is getting stuck or caught on something in her. She has free access to oyster shell and is on layer pellets. Poor little gal, she is still proud as punch that she laid an egg, doesn't seem to realize something is not normal. I have been throwing these eggs with the hole in them into the compost as I am afraid bacteria may have gotten in. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  6:39:27 PM  Show Profile
I got an egg like that from one hen but then instead of a hole with extra shell next to it the egg would be normal or weak in a spot with the extra shell in about the same spot. I don't know what causes that.

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  10:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Ladies I think it may be a calcium thing. Do you offer oyster shells, or some form of calcium?

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile
I have free choice oyster shells for mine so that is why I was so confused. It will be interesting to find out exactly what causes an egg to be like that and why other people have similar examples.

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  06:34:55 AM  Show Profile
Ladies I posted on my blog about what I found in the chicken coop early this morning. I am still in shock!! What a morning and what a surprise...

Never a dull moment when you have chickens.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  06:52:20 AM  Show Profile
well grace i always enjoy your blog page. the babies are so very cute. what an egg my friend. how did you eat it. i would have hollared loud to popping that egg out. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace I hope she doesn't die from prolapse. Alot of times you will lose your hen after an egg like that.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  08:49:17 AM  Show Profile
I have not decided on what is worthy of this hard work - had thought of maybe some decadent cookies or a french black cherry torte.

Jen I have checked her several times since the laying of the egg and she is doing great. I have over the years had many girls who laided such an egg - usually their first and then they go to laying normally but never lost a hen from it. I did give her rescue remedy (holistic liquid that helps with trauma) and I had a few drops too and so I have great thoughts that she will have no issues but I do thank you for sharing your experience with us. Something to keep in mind.

My girls are now giving 24 to 26 eggs a day - and yes I still have the roosters... They are still in their separate barn and growing like weeds... They were quite as church mice thru the bitter cold then when it warmed up they started crowing again. Heck I thought I had the problem solved but Mother Nature took over again. Oh Well what do you expect - they are boys!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I have gotten oversized eggs before and no problems. I guess sometimes the egg making process gets too ahead of itself and they make a double egg. She probably didn't lay an egg the next day. I still am amazed they can walk after laying day after day. That's gotta hurt/ Your posts are so funny. I love all your babies. They are adorable. I am so wanting a few fiber sheep. I am getting my pasture ready right now for some. A friend had Suffolf sheep that are due anytime now. I will get a few when they are weaned for meat. But I would like a few for fiber too. I have got to learn how to make my own yarn. I so wish I could come visit some of you that spin.

I have been getting at least 13 eggs a day now. I am so proud of my old gals.

I have got to butcher these roos. Yesterday while feeding them I noticed 2 of the game rooms were all bloody on their heads. They have been fighting. One can't even see. So I will be catching the Buff roos tonight and putting them in a cage for tomorrow. D-day. Or B-day. Or F-day. Whatever day, they are going. Hubby's on his way home and I told him what he'll be doing with me tomorrow after church. It's gotta be done. So wish us luck. We'll need it.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  09:59:07 AM  Show Profile
Kristin thanks for the kind words on the babies - they are my heart and soul. I do not envy you and your husband about the roo's but I understand.

Had a funny thing happen (Like that is nothing new) when I walked into the coop just now. One of the hens was sitting on the evening roost and another gal under her. As I was collecting the next batch of eggs the top hen let go over her egg which fell thru the grate on the roost and smack dap on the head of the other hen. Splat and egg yolk all over the girl. This is one of my white girls and now is has
Egg all over her face and the rest of her...

I laughed so hard I scared the whole coop - just too funny but one egg down - I always feel sorry because I know they work hard at this..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: