grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  5:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Jenny I with you about the fire issue. The first year I started the farm my mentor and friend lost her lambs to a heat lamp fire. So over the years I work so hard to keep everyone safe and warm. I no longer use any type of heated buckets because once a ewe drank all of the water inbetween barn checks and melted herself to the bucket. Luckly I was able to cut the fleece away but that scared me so much that the buckets left. Same with a heated water for the coop. My neighbor two years ago lost her coop to a water heater. I do have heat lamps but they are secured more then anyone I know and checked every two hours.

How exciting Kris 7 eggs - what you going to make?? I could hardly believe it but today I get 13 eggs and some where extra large. I guess I will be baking when I get a chance. Tonight I made a spanish fretata (Not sure about the spelling) It was very yummy.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I LOVE frittatas. I make them with peppers and mushrooms and swiss cheese and spinach and onions. Pour eggs over all that and bake about 10 minutes. It's SO good and easy. Oh, and when I have fresh tomatoes I throw some in and it's even better. I did alot of baking Sunday and used 11 eggs. But now I am back up to a little over 2 dozen. I am going to start hoarding eggs just in case they stop again or start hiding them. Which they are known to do alot of. So enjoy those eggs while you have them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  6:04:25 PM  Show Profile
And speaking of fires in coops, that happened to me about 10 years ago. I had a heat lamp in the little coop because it was freezing and I had my 2 does with a few kids in there too. The coop was right outside my bedroom. I woke up early one morning and smelled smoke. I ran out there and the coop was full of smoke. And of course the door was shut to keep all the chickens and goats in. I opened the door and they all just fell out. Poor things. I had to call the fire department. It never really burned. The light had fallen and was smouldering in the straw. And all those animals in there for who knows how long. Well, I lost a few chickens. And the goats got sick. Had to have the vet out for antibiotics. taht was before I learned how to give shots myself. But it took the goats awhlie to get over that. And the chickens. SO I do not do that anymore. I guess one of the goats knocked it off. It's just too dangerous.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  9:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Kris that must have been such a scarey event... After my friend lost her sheep I put fire extinguishers at each door of the barns and coops. I have smoke detectors and like I said when I do have heat lamps on I am always checking every two hours because it is baby birthing time.

I think I might make a french custard with black cherry dessert for tomorrow and some egg noodles for the freezer. I have also a great new cookie recipe which has me wishing I had more energy for tonight.

I had a question - my little crooked neck girl (Molly) walked backwards the other day for a good part of the afternoon. She did not look sick at all - ate and drank (in her strange way)and then stopped after about 5 hours of that and walked forward without repeating it. Should I be worried?

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

I came across this chat where they were talking about hens walking backwards and suspected a respiratory infection. http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=erforum&thread=11834&page=1#134798
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:36:19 AM  Show Profile
WOW Thanks Meg - I will be right over there to read it... I found she is also using that way of walking since her neck is bent down so far I think to get thry the maze of new dishes I put in there when the weather was so cold. I did not want anyone to be without. I will read the article and see what they suggest. MANY THANKS

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  3:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Ok I have an emergency question: Just got my chicks from the hatchery on Monday. Two of the smaller ones were trampled and never seemed right after I unpacked them and put them in their "Chick spot". They died before dinner time. Yesterday one of my meat bird chicks died randomly. This morning another egg laying pullet AND a meat bird died. They don't have pasty butt and all the chicks seemed healthy, clear eyed, no runny beaks or anything out of the ordinary. I check on them a lot during the day because I put them in my mud room so they are close at hand. That is how I found one just lying sprawled out so I picked it up and it was hardly breathing, the poor thing died in my hand. I'm heartbroke I've raised chickens and never lost a single chick. This is totally new to me. Now 2 more of my pullets are acting slow and not perky like a healthy/normal chick should be. I haven't done anything different with this chicks than any other batch I've raised so I'm at a loss. I have tetracycline but I really don't want to give it to them because I'm going organic. I also have non medicated feed for them because of that. Please give me some tips! This is what I've checked so far: heat is good, no drafts, dry feed, I gave them sugar water for the first 2 hours then gave them regular water. After the 1st 2 died I put in some electrolytes just incase they were still deprived from shipment, I still have them on newspaper so I can change it easier AND I know they are not dying from eating bedding and not food. I wash hands before and after handling them. I think that is about it, I'm just so upset I don't like it they just keel over dead after running around like normal. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!!!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  3:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Krystal. I am so sorry you're having so much loss already. When you say egg laying pullets, are you talking about your new chicks? Did you get egg layers and meat chicks together? SO they are all the same age? Or are the pullets older? If they are just a few days old chicks, I think they need the medicated feed for the first 6 weeks. They can get coccidiosis and all kinds of diseases when they are so small. This is the most crucial time for them. And especially if they were being shipped a few days til they got to your house. You did right with the sugar water. But I do believe you need to switch to medicated feed right now. I could be wrong and I hope you hear from others that might know. I hope you haven't lost anymore today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  7:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, my meat birds are actually male leghorn chicks and the pullet chicks are/were various different breeds. If I feed them medicated feed can I still use their livers and stuff when I butcher them? I tried out a new hatchery so maybe I do need to switch to medicated but again I really want to go organic so I'm pretty confused on how healthy I can be without letting my chicks die off on me. Besides, if they are sick I really don't want that either! I'm so confused right now. Before we never had a problem and I did the sugar water/non med feed/electrolytes in the water for the first 3 days and we never lost a bird. We had one that got pasty butt but he ended up being my favorite rooster. They are all only about 5 days old. Any how the main thing holding me back from medicated feed is I was told if someone was planning to use the giblets and stuff then they should stay away from medicated stuff because some of it can stay inside the liver... I am no expert on this because I'm totally new to organic animal raising so that is making me even more confused. Thanks for your response! I will try to do more research on it and if anything else I may have to put them on medicated feed in order to save what I've already lost. I've got $15 worth of chicks dead so far so I'm hoping I won't lose anymore.

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  05:20:20 AM  Show Profile
Krystle the medicated feed when they are that young is very important since they can not fight off everything that is hitting them...by the time you get ready to butcher them you will have gone to normal unmedicated feed & the meat/organs will be healthy & no medicine will be in their system. I do all organic but I know that what is needed when they are young may not be organic in the start. The liver is a filter & it will always filter out the poisons that enter the body so you will be safe eating it after it has grown....as for the buying of chicks I have learned that at lot of hatcheries get their eggs/chicks from farmers they have contracts with & that after a bit of time the cross breeding with the same roosters causes defects in the chicks. I broke down once 2 yrs ago & went in with a neighbor who wanted to do this...with in 6 months & buried 11 of the 12 chicks because they just died. I was so sad I cut one open to check it out & found it had an enlarged soft heart, there was no way this baby would have lived....think double in size....I know hatcheries have to make a living but I will never go that route again because the death of these small babies tore my heart out. The sugar water was a great idea...I would recommend since you are going the all nature way to get a small bag of the medicated for the beginning of their lives & to also have on hand a bottle of human baby liquid vits that you can get at the store....one drop of that in their water daily will help them greatly & will not harm them in anyway as they grow while on the medicated feed....my hens are all over 2 yrs & I still give them the baby vits in the winter in a warm oatmeal chick feed morning meal. Since they are not out hunting for things to eat their well being concerns me so I add a few drops to insure they have what they need on top of the feed. plus up here its so cold that they refuse to go outside so sleep alot & don't eat as much so i know the extra vits thy are able to use. I highly recommend you get the book on chicken medical handbook, it has tons of good info though at first you will be confused & every little thing that occurs you will think from the book is a death sentence...but after you quit freaking out it will be of a great help to you. After reading it the first few times I just knew all my hens were going to die of some horrible thing or another but they didn't...lol Now I can look at it 7 see that some things just occur in chickens & not panic....good luck & stay strong...chickens die from every little thing even when you do everything right....I cry more over my chickens that any other animal I have owned. Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  07:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Krystle,
I'm sorry to hear about your birds,I try to raise everything as naturally/organically as possibly,I don't always do things 100 percent organically as far as buying feed but I do try to avoid the overuse of any antibiotics or vaccines but I have reared chicks both naturally and conventionally using medicated feeds and have had good results,Michele is right,the liver is a powerful filter,I don't know for sure if it completely rids every substance but even chickens raised with medicated feeds but reared naturally in the outdoors versus factory farmed will show a beautiful vibrant liver when butchered in comparison to a factory reared bird's liver,completely organic or not,I know this is much healthier than the liver from a factory bird fed antibiotics and roxarsone all it's life so even if you use the medicated feed to get your chicks through this tough spot,you'll still be in the good!
With that said though,I have reared chicks on unmedicated feed by feeding them oatmeal sprinkled with a little cod liver oil and powdered seaweed and given plentiful fresh water and an occasional garlic purge or senna tea and they grew very vigorous.
I also give them sunflower seeds and abundant finely chopped greens and herbs,dandelion greens,fenugreek,etc.
It's very possible your chicks are suffering from some ailment they arrived with or stress from shipping,sometimes I get great healthy hatchery orders and then there are times that they arrive not so vigorous and I have more mortalities,you're kind of rolling the dice with chicks,my hen reared chicks have always gone on to be the most vigorous birds in the flock.
Don't feel bad if you switch to medicated feeds,your birds will still be superior to anything a mass grower could produce,my only concern with medicated feed in this case is that most of the medications in feeds are coccidiostats and my only worry is that they might not help you if coccidiosis isn't the problem,it could very well be some other ailment and the switch may not help at all,I'm not saying that it won't but that it may not because most of the medicated feeds are targeted against that one common chick ailment when there are numerous other reasons you could be having a high mortality rate.
Well,good luck to you,I hope all works out for your chicks.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  07:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi there Jewel,
I just finished bfast and I'm telling you, nothing is as good as a fresh egg right out of your backdoor!!! yummy! Anyway, I have Buff Orphington's, Marans, Aracauna's and Black Sex links. I purchased the sex links from the co-op because everyone told me they were of the few that would lay all winter. The rest of my flock came from McMurry. My friend and I went in together and split the min. order, maybe you could find someone to share you order. Anyway, the Buffs were the only one's who layed all winter, but all have started back in the last few weeks. Storey's chicken book is the best and I also subscribe to the Backyard Poultry magazine. It has great articles. Hope you love your flock as much as I love mine!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  10:43:58 AM  Show Profile
It is a tight rope act most of us walk trying to keep our animals of all times healthy and happy. I believe there is no RIGHT answer for us all and at times when we learn different things or are faced with some type of illness within our farm that has not visited us before we feel like we might have done something wrong. We are all doing our best and I am so thankful to get to see how others care for there sweet ones. For myself I raised this last batch of chicks without medicated feed. I too have ways that are natural and holistic. I am not against anyone useing whatever it takes so please be kind to yourself and do what your heart tells you.

Today the girls so far have given me 16 eggs and I really am going to have to look for some good recipes. My sons can't get here to pick up theirs so I better get cracking - O.K. I could not stop myself.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile
10 eggs this morning and 25 tonight!!!

I am ready for the warm weather and I think the hens are too!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Well total we lost 5 chicks which is about $15. We did order from another hatchery to make up for the lost ones plus I will have a few extra chicks so maybe I can barter with someone to get the other breeds I wanted. I was only to get two of the varieties we lost but at least I still got some more on the way! I stuck with the vitamins in their water and they are doing super. The remaining chicks have really took off so whatever it was must have passed!

Our adult hens are all laying again!!! I get 4-5 eggs every day from 5 hens! I am so excited to get more hens! We go through so many eggs our 5 hens are just not enough for us!

Today, my daughter tried helping me clean the chicks out today, it was so cute! She usually just watches me but she jumped right in and as I was going to tell her "no-no" I realized she was trying to help and I shouldn't discourage her because I want her to help out with chores someday. My little girl is 19 months and already a true blue farmgirl jumping in to help with chores!!!

Chicks are a great start! She has been saying "chicken" right after Mama, Dada, and Milk :)

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  12:04:58 PM  Show Profile
krystle, i am so glad your chicks are better. it is so true we try so ard to do the right thing for our animals. with our weather lately it has been a challenge here. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  2:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, We are in a city which allows hens and I have 4 bantams. We are anticipating a move this summer to our new farm (fingers crossed). In the meantime my almost 3 year old English Game Hen has started crowing. I know the neighbors can hear her, she crows around 10 each morning so at least it isn't waking people up. Why couldn't she start this behavior once we get to a farm!!? I have read about hens doing this when there isn't a rooster but really?!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile
well we are off on an adventure this am if the snow stops. i bought 68 laying hens. they are 7 months old. i am very excited. i fixed their coop yesterday. new shavings etc. it has been a hard few days now. another storm was here yesterday and another coming in. we are needing to go 30 miles up. so we had hoped to take the horse trailer, i think it will be the truck with crates stacked high. papa said he would drive me. i am bone tired and i just got up. we have had deep snow and ice. i am such a baby, but what a job dragging myself around in it. well papa helped yesterday and graded my paths. he hauled the water tank over for cows. as he was backing up it slid off the back upside down. we got the tractor and got it back on. i fixed the back wall on the shed for cows. our 2 week calf curly was shivering. i grabbed him up and gave him a good toweling off. since they run pasture i am not putting a coat on him. he would get caught up on a limb or such. if it gets worse i will move them home to the barn. oh what a job that would be. i tell ya mom is so big. she came charging out of the feed area in the snow. oh mt she looked just like a big hippo running after her calf. curly is always in trouble with mom. he is very independent. his sister freckles is a great babysitter. i must say the snow is so beautiful. its the clothes and walking in it that is hard. well hope all is well with kidding and calving. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  06:28:44 AM  Show Profile
oh goodness i get all carried away and forgot i was still on chicken post. talking about cows and such too. oh well sorry girls. i sure hope chicken catching goes well for us today. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  07:46:55 AM  Show Profile
Meg, I had a hen that was 4 years old and out of the blue she started crowing. That was long before we received our Roo's (Not what we wanted but life gives us things we don't want) Anyway, I could never figure out why she started this - a few folks say that if there is all girls and they view a threat that the top girl will crow to scare away whatever is the problem. Not sure, but I had several old timers tell me this - who knows maybe it is like Jurasic Park - Mother Nature finds a way!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  6:14:27 PM  Show Profile
well i think grace is right. she probably is sounding the warning. hows everyones chickens doing. we are hit with another storm. more snow cold and wind. truly my hat is off to you i look to as mentors out in this all winter. like grace you do it without a side kick to help you wow and double wow. my legs are tired from snow walking. i remembered your sled idea though and it helped me today for sure. we picked up 61 red star hens and 3 roosters. we got them for $4.00 a piece. i was thrilled. they are beautiful. some are in nest boxes as i type. i sure hope they dont molt. usually their first year they just lay with no molt. i hope.lol so they have been on lights so they are now. they seem calm and happy. so hoping for eggs tomorrow. wondering what you decided on those turkeys kris? hope you all have a fine evening. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

chloesmom011
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

trudy
duncan sc
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  08:06:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls, gosh I love this thread. I am a newbie here but not a newbie to chickens. I have 18 of them in my backyard right now. I have had quite a few different breeds and I really prefer the more settled, friendly breeds. I have had RIR, Buff Orpingtons , sex links, Barred Rocks and Americaunas aka Easter Eggers. I love the Buff girls and the Barred Rocks for their quiet and friendly nature. I have found the RIR's to be a bit more forward and a bit grumpy but good layers but I have found the Red Sex Links to be such great layers and more good natured then the RIR's so I have quite a few of those. They also tend to eat less, and I LOVE those EE girls. They are so beautiful and they lay the most beautiful pink , green and blue eggs. I am getting 10 new one day old chicks next month to replace all the older girls who have moved on to the retirement coop.LOL I have 2 coops, One for the layers soon to be and a little coop that my husband and I built from all old recycled barn wood. It is small and will only hold about ten but my other one can hold up to 24 very comfortably. I have had chickens for about 4 years and I can not imagine life without them now and I can't wait until these new girls start laying which should be in about a month. I love to go to the coop and find those nice big brown eggs!

Loving the country life in my little space in the city
http://sunflowerfarms1.blogspot.com/

Edited by - chloesmom011 on Feb 23 2011 09:39:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  09:52:06 AM  Show Profile
well howdy trudy, so glad you could joim us. i too love love love those sexlinks. i ended up with red star i think they are since it was a bargain. you are a exp. chicken farmgirl. i look forward to learning from you. i learn as i go.lol have a fine farmgirl day ladies wherever you are, it is a state of mind. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Trudy. Welcome. I have Buffs and love them dearly. They are so sweet and laid back. Just the kind I need. You have lots of chickens.I can't imagine life without chickens either. Although I do get sick of all the poop everywhere. And I never know when I will come up on a hen laying an egg and get the crap scared outta me. And them too I guess. But it's so fun to find eggs.

And I got 13 eggs yesterday!! I have 4 dozen eggs now. I need to put the sign back out again. Yippee!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, how are all your new chickens? Any eggs from them yet or are they old enough? You'll be over run with eggs soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page