JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  07:43:40 AM  Show Profile
I will be checking that blog alot~!!! thanks.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:17:34 AM  Show Profile
good afternoon ladies & hens! i just want to say thank you to all that have gone to look at my blog. it means a lot to me to know you all care enough to go look. i am not a very social person anymore so being able to have this new family of hens has been wonderful for my spirit. I get so excited every morning when i check my computer & see that someone or something new is happening here with the Maryjane girls. Michele #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  10:51:29 AM  Show Profile
I just love my bantys'. I have a fall "chick" that is trying to go broody. Her name is Jenny. She is half Japenese white and half Columbain. She looks like a beige dove. I just love to see how broody my little bantys get! She was up against a bail of hay and oulling hay out of it and covering her and her nest of two little eggs. I use to think her mom Jaime had tiny eggs, hers are even smaller! I will have to take a picture and post it.
Well Stay warm and dry all!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  11:07:42 AM  Show Profile
I will check out your blog Michele,I understand how you feel,I like to come on here because there are other women I can relate to,it's so nice to hear what's going on with other women who like the same things I do and have the same day to day experiences with animals,gardening,etc..
Anyways,I'm still getting a few eggs a day from my barred rock hens and occasionally from my cuckoo marans,I can tell their eggs because they are a deep dark chocolate color,they have very pretty eggs.
We had several inches of snow last night and it blew into the chicken coop,I took them all out a bowl of oatmeal with some red pepper in it along with thier usual feed,I like to think it helps them stay warm,it either helps or they really hate me for peppering thier oatmeal,I don't know.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  12:45:44 PM  Show Profile
It's been a beautiful day here. But that is all going to change. We are supposed to get a few inches of snow.

I got 5 eggs yesterday. I haven't looked yet today. But I saw a hen under the hay rack this morning. This is so exciting to finally be getting eggs again. And I have fun looking for them. It's like a grown up egg hunt.

Katheryn, I love those CM hen eggs. they are so pretty. Almost too pretty to crack. I had a Welsummer hen that laid those deep red eggs.

Everyone sure does spoil their hens. I don't really do anything special for mine. They do get beef fat which they love. But now that I have pigs, they don't get scraps. the pigs do. And I used to give the chickens leftover goat milk but the goats are dried up right now. And the pigs are getting all the frozen goat milk. But they won't be around long.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  4:55:28 PM  Show Profile
I get to spoil my chickens cause I only have 1/3 acre, no kids at home, am a stay at home wife & am in this great co-op where I can buy 50 lbs of great grains, ect that I can share with my 'kids' they get spoiled more than most from what I have read but then again like I said I have nothing else that important to do. My husband will be off to Afghanistan in less than a month & has been pretty much home very little since we married 18 yrs ago. We did the whole iraq thing back in 2004-2005 wher he was gone 15 months so I am glad that we moved out of the 'city' & now I have my chickens, little garden & a nice sunny yard to be in while he is gone this time around.
Redhooplady be careful with the red pepper as their gullet where they store the food is paper thin & the pepper can burn it....since you are trying to keep them warm have you tried good old fashioned cornmeal? the sugar in the cornmeal will keep them activity & keep them warm....thats why old time farmers gave their chickens lots of corn in the winter for the sugar so they would burn it off during the day. or even a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the warm oatmeal with keep them going til sleeping time. Raisins in the oatmeal also works. I know your not over peppering them so please don't at offense but they may 'love' you a bit better if they aren't doing the mexican dance while they eat....lol My girls are not laying for the most part in the big coop but still getting enough eggs, up to 6 from the others....I love the winter but am sure looking forward toa melt so my 'kids' can go outside again. Kristin do you save the pig fat & make soap with it? have a great week Michele' #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile
I need to bring the flashlight and search around the big round bales. My hubby teases me that everyday is easter for me. For the most part they lay in there nests. I heard a hen making noise as I was milking then a few minutes later one of my EE's came out. Plus they are sitting/squatting when I pet them. My orps have been laying all winter but I am waiting for some colored eggs. Does anyone have any super dark maran egg layers? I am looking for a few and am having a hard time finding any baby chicks for sale.

Kristin, white type of pigs do you have. We are adding pigs this spring for the first time.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile
No offense taken Michelle,I appreciate the input,I haven't had any problems with the red pepper,it's just a tiny amount on the below zero nights,it's something my Grandma used to do,I give them corn and thier layer ration most of the time,on real cold evenings I tend to give them something warm like oatmeal or grits,most of the time without the pepper,they probably don't need it but it makes me feel like I'm giving them some kind of comfort in the cold.
Jen I bought my Cuckoo Marans from Cackle Hatchery in Missouri and they lay deep Hershey Chocolate colored eggs with some variation from hen to hen but most are deeply colored.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I have not made soap yet with lard but am planning to some day. I do get all the fat when we butcher and I freeze it til I render it for lard.

Jenny, the girl that has the sows has all white pigs. But the 2 I got were the only 2 colored piglets in the whole herd. I don't really know what they are. Maybe Duroc? Or Hampshire cross? One of mine is all brown with a little white on her neck. The other is all red with a little white on her neck. They are twice as big as when I first got them on Jan. 8th. And I have 2 different butcher dates, March 28th and April 12th. I am hoping they will be big enough by then. I hope you get some.

I haven't checked to see if I got any eggs yet. I am waiting til closer to feeding time. I miss my green eggs from Hildi. I hope she starts laying again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  2:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh kathryn I bet they just love the grits :) & you can bet your sweet little heart they love you more for the warm meals they are getting! I bet they all come up to you when you open the door waiting to see what Momma has brought them. if you ever do make old fashioned lye soap Kristin you will love it...it works for everything...glad to see you keep 7 render your fat....I can't image making bisquits without it....plus I love using lard though i used to get a lot of grief for it....at least now my doctor no longer complains..;) have a great evening everyone! M' #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  4:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies! I don't make it on often enough but will pop in when I am. Never seems to be enough time in a day for me. We are still getting 9 - 11 eggs a day from 12 hens so we feel blessed. Of course like all of you we spoil them. They get oatmeal, black sunflower seeds, cracked corn along with their laying feed and of course having a heater in the coop has got to be the reason we get this many eggs, right?

A woman my hubby works with, who we sold 2 dz. eggs to, said she found a small fetus in one of the eggs. We don't have any roosters and by now would know if we did (we got the girls last May) so I'm wondering how this can be. Any of you ever have this happen? I told my DH that she was probably pulling his leg since he does that constantly to everyone but he said she was dead serious.

We are snow bound too! It's like walking through a maze to get the coop everyday. The snow is up to my waist or more and that's just on the side of the driveway or path, not where we keep piling it up. If we get the snow they just had in the midwest today (Oklahoma anyway) we will have to hire a front end loader to move it! The girls haven't been able to go out in weeks now, too much snow in their pens but they still keep giving us eggs!

BTW, did I tell you all about the rosemary? My DH put dried rosemary under one of the nests and they all try and lay their eggs in just that nest! Why is beyond us, but they do. Yesterday all the eggs were in the one nest except for one egg! Silly girls. I'm thinking we should try different herbs in different nests and see what they do, lol. Have a great night ladies and stay warm!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  9:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!
Michelle,I love cooking with lard too,making biscuits and it makes the best pie crusts,I never have a tough flat crust when I use lard,I haven't made lard soap though my Grandma used to,I do make soap but mostly castille (olive oil based) or goat milk soaps and I only make a couple big batches a few times a year.
Ginny,that's sure odd about the developed chicken embryo,at least without a rooster around,I have no explanation for that,perhaps that gal was mistaken,maybe she got a blood spot or something in her egg and thought it was more than that,I'm not sure.
I have occasionally found eggs that started to develop,if they reach a certain temperature either from the hen sitting on them or getting too warm on account of the weather but I have three Dominique roosters (Gaston,Francois and Phillipe) so all my hen's eggs are fertile.
We also have alot of snow,I shoveled it out of the chicken coop so they could get around,they get so happy when I come in with their feed,especially my Brahma hens,if anyone wants a chicken breed that is personable and acts like a pet,those Brahmas are the way to go,I have never known a friendlier type of chicken than my Brahmas,even the roosters (though I have just hens right now) are friendly and great to have around if you have kids that go in the coop.
Well,stay warm all!

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  06:34:09 AM  Show Profile
What the lady found was probably a protien piece, this is fairly common. If an egg is fertilized it must be at the proper temp for 3 days before it starts to develop. So unless you have a rooster and are not collecting your eggs daily, you are safe.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  07:25:37 AM  Show Profile
lillian is right. the dark spot is called a meat spot.. it is a flaw in the chicken laying the egg. some breeds are more prone to it than others. new layers and older hens develop these sometimes. if you dont candle the eggs you wont know its in there till you crack it. hope this helps. no babies that fast. one day the egg would be microscopic by day 3 still you would not see much change in the egg looks. just a thought. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  10:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Do most of you candle your eggs that you sell to friends and such? I have not but I don't sell to strangers anymore because of all the regulations and stuff...

I have had no red spots in the eggs since the roosters are out - Yah! because my sons who take eggs home did not like finding those... They really need to get over this silliness but they have always been that way.

Hope all are thawing out and getting the flippers out from the closet. I have been busy with new babies and hope to get all the goings on posted on my blog in the next day. It has been tons of fun.

Now up to 10 eggs a day and am so excited but soon will be up to my eyes in eggs. Still do not have the driveway passable so quiche tonight...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  12:44:51 PM  Show Profile
thought my 9 hens in the big coop had quit laying, found out the 'Old Crone' had hidden them & was laying on them...17 eggs! took all but 5 away from her...boy was she not happy with me...So I am hoping maybe by the middle of March to have a few new babies M' #2622

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  5:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have never candled eggs before. And I do sell them. I am up to about 6 a day now!! It is so exciting to find them all. I just squeal every time I see one. It's so fun. Especially after such a long dry spell. I hope to be rid of all my roos pretty soon. I am just sick of them all. They are all over the hens all day long. They are just awful fellas. And they all need to go to the freezer. That's all I'm gonna say about them.

I hope you get some pretty little chicks, Michele. They are so cute when they are little. Mine last batch of 5 are growing so fast. Since they have been going out now they are really growing. I am still not sure what they are. But I think I have 3 hens and 2 roos. Not too bad this time to have more hens than roos. So they will have to go also.

But the weather is so much better now than it has been. SO hopefully the egg laying business will pick up. And all day today there has been a roo that I have thought was a hen laying an egg. He just goes on and on just like a hen that's just layed an egg. SIlly bird.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  5:46:07 PM  Show Profile
How exciting for you - baby chicks! I admit I am not sure if I would ever let one of those Roos back into my calm and loving coop again. I can not wait to hear all about them hatching and your adventures with those little fuzz balls.

I put my Billy Sherlock in the barn with the Roo's and he sure put them in line. Those big horns made them think twice. The little billy gave them their first lessons in behavior but Sherlock finished their lesson. I love my billies..

Did everyone's hens make it thru that horrible spell of bitter cold, snow, ice and whatever else Mother Nature wanted to throw at us. I was so worried about frost bit when the temp got a bitter -42 below. Luckly that vaseline sure did work. Did anyone have to use other tricks during this time? - I am always trying to add to my bag of tricks...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  6:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for telling me about the protein piece/meat spot. I will tell hubby. We do not have any roosters and as David said tonight "well I know we don't have roosters because I brought in twelve eggs tonight"! We collect eggs twice a day when we go to feed and water the girls.

Grace - did you put the vaseline on their crowns or whatever they are called? We don't worry about it because as I've said, we have a heater now in the coop. It's very thin, about 2" wide and lays flat on the wall, doesn't get hot for them to touch, and they love it. Cost us about $125.00. Eco Heater I think it's called.

While it has warmed up and started to melt the snow the last day or so, we have had so much snow that getting to the coop has been an experience. We feel like we are walking through tunnels the snow is so high and the path of course is all of a shovel width because it's such a pain to shovel! Had we received one more inch we would have hired a front end loader to move it, we got so much!

Enjoy your babies (if you get them) Michele! I told my DH that we should get 12 more this spring. All winter folks ask if we have eggs for sale and while we have some, most are spoken for already and that's getting about a dozen a day! Can I ask what you all sell your's for? At first we just said $2.00 a doz. and then one of our friends handed me $2.50 and said they were worth at least that! So I'm just curious.

I don't know if any of you check out backyard chickens website but I have to tell you about the bumper stickers and fake tattoos we got from there at Christmas. They say "My pet makes me breakfast" and shows a chicken. LOVE IT!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  10:07:12 PM  Show Profile
I never get eggs in the wintertime, since my chickens don't have a heat or a light. A few days ago I went out to feed them, and I found 6 eggs in their house, along with some broken shells. I hadn't been looking, since they don't lay in the winter so I'm pretty sure the broken shells were from eggs that froze, thawed and then got stepped on(one of the 6 was frozen and cracked, so I'm pretty sure that's what happened with the others.) Yesterday I got 2 eggs, and today one more. I'm pleasantly surprised, and excited to have eggs again!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  02:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Ginny I am so glad you wrote about those heaters, i have been checking them out ...i hate that I have so many hanging red heat lamps ect in the coops I always worry one of them make fly up & hit it, get burned or break it I have decided to invest in at least 2 large ones for next winter, one for each coop..i will still use the UV day lights in both coops but that i have really high & am not so worried about....these new heater sound like a gem for any animal & i love the fact that if they do get touched or somehow gets knocked down they won't start a fire or burn the chickens....I plan to screw mine into the coop wall just to be on the safe plus it will be easier to get to to clean off. I think the investment in them is worth the price since they are so safe. I never let any of my hens lay on eggs until this last summer & I can tell you I was so tickled to see the new babies so I know I will be happy with any that hatch....i have always hand raised mine so its a different feeling when I see the chicks i don't bond with them as much but boy are they soooo cute. & i do try to pick them up often so they are not afraid as they grow. Everyone have a wonderful day! M' #2622

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  06:49:31 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, it is so great you are all starting to get some eggs already. last night cl. i was able to purchase 60 laying hens. the are the red rock i think. i pick them up next sunday. the folks are moving. they are 7 months old. i told him i have to see the receipt. i dont want old hens. i am very excited about this. now here is the good part. they are 4.00 a piece. i paid 3 a piece for chicks here. so these are grown out and starting to lay. we got up to unexpected snow. it was supposed to rain. no we are pounded by snow. papa says we have 7 inches. so milking will be a challenge. hope you all have a fine farm day happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  07:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chicks - sounds like we are going to maybe hit 60 degrees today - this weather is so screwed up that my animals and I are just going in circles.

Ginny I did put Vaseline (it is a non petroluem based one) on everyone and no frost bite here. I had not heard of the other cream before - I had a question about the asprin issue - what might that do to the hens or their eggs?? If we are organic I am not sure we can use it - any thoughts?? It sounds like a great remedy just want to make sure that I follow organic procedures.

WOW Sherrye what a great deal - how exciting.. Put on your flippers it sounds like you are going to need them.

Sherri how exciting - the universe is giving you such a treat.. I am thrilled for you and maybe your girls are going to supply you with early eggs.

Oh Ginny I am going to have to get me some of those bumper stickers.. I love a good sticker and thanks so much for sharing the site with me.

Have a wonderful day you farm girl chicks and hope you coop is full of eggs. I think I am going to make a quiche today.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  08:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Finally......2 green/blue eggs this morning. They made a nest in the cows wall feeder. One after another they are lining up to hop in. I was able to grab 2 eggs before I left. I am so excited!!!!!! I lined all the nests with the same grass they are laying in. Hopefully they get the hint and lay with the rest of the hens. My orpingtons lay all winter with no extra lights or heat lamps. I am scared to death of a barn fire and losing my cows. We do have a small shed with a run for the baby chicks. They stay in there until the are 10 weeks with a heat lamp. I am filling the incubator today!!! My orps are getting broody so the EE's are laying just in time. Just as planned!!! Trying to get an egg from my broody orpington hens is a pain. One hen is hiding them somewhere in the barn!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  3:41:46 PM  Show Profile
7 eggs today!!!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.