sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  07:08:56 AM  Show Profile
that is so cute. the chickens have such a cute way. the ones i bought a few weeks back are so sweet. when they get out i can just walk up and pick them up and put back in. i can tell they were loved. i want to get the fryers done. i am going to grind to burger some of them. they are huge. the sun is just coming up i see clouds out there. we must have a change coming. you will be busy. have a fun time with all those you love. happy days on your farm. what a fine feeling feeding our loved ones fruits of our labor. how big are your other turkeys now? if you can pick them up and you cant walk very far with out hurting their big enough.lol people ask me how big do you grow them to? i say till i almost cant get them to the kill area carrying them. they end up being about 15 pounds when ready for house. GRACE i want to hear about the killing turkey too...??? happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Angie I sure did giggle about your SIL - I don't want to see unkind but I found animals are a really good judge of character and I always look to mine to size folks up especially my dogs.

Kris, I am so so sorry that you have lost another sweet hen but glad to hear you getting some eggs. I gathered 5 blue ones Friday. Do you have an idea who is grabbing them? If they are sitting on fencelines then it must be an owl and I agree with you - they may not like it but I would pluck them off and put them inside. Is there a way you can make a door to keep them safe? I agree that the roo's are safe because they make too much of a fuss.. I think it is funny that since my Ozie (Cashmere Yearling Billy) had knocked the stuffings out of the head roo - they have stayed on their side of the barn and knocked off the crud. Also they have become much more shy around me - think they remember that nice neck message I gave them on the way to their new digs.

Sherrye, is there a book that you used to learn how to process your chickens and turkeys? I have one but always wishing to learn more. The processor around here I would never take any of my animals too. The one I used for my lambs is almost 200 miles away and only do poultry twice a year. I did game bird growning up but that has been a good 40 years and I did not process them all the way - I was the feather picker and shot picker.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  1:30:44 PM  Show Profile
I have a homemade feather plucker. A friend made it out of a piece of PVC pipe about 4" long. The pipe is probably 4". He drilled holes all around it and put black bungee stuff in each hole. Then put a cap on one end. That fits into a drill. It's the coolest contraption for plucking feathers ever. We did the 2 turkeys in more than half the time it takes to do it by hand. I will use it on the roos. You still have to plunge them in hot water. The turkeys at least. I just had a guy come show me how to butcher them. The most important thing is to NOT cut into the gizzard or intestines or the rear end. That will send poison to the rest of the meat. So be very careful when cutting into the rectum area. It's really easy after you've done a few. The hardest part for me was the chopping off of the head part. After that it's a piece of cake. You could do it, Grace. And I will have to get the hubby to help with a door. It would have to be at least 8' wide. But we could do twon 4' doors. That would be nicer than a bunch of blankets and plastic across the opening, don't ya think? But hey, we are rednck country folk here anyway.

Kris

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  7:49:24 PM  Show Profile
hey kris if i forgot may i say sorry you lost another girl. i read the storeys guide to chickens it helped. i use a cone to kill them. i cut their throat when they are upside down. and i skin not pluck. if you want more details i would be glad to. it is easy for me now and clean. i like skinning its so much easier. then i soak in ice water with strong salt in it. kills bacteria on chicken when you bring in the house.happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  06:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sherrye. I am counting 12 Buff hens so I know I have lost 2. Then last night as I was putting the few that were on the fence in the barn, I couldn't find 2 of the Buff hens. But then this morning I counted 11. And the 12th is the mamma hen.

SO last night as I was putting them in the barn, there sat one of the red roos that I want dead. He's on the hay rack with his women. I should have grabed him and put him in a cage for today. But I didn't. So this morning I only counted 2 red roos. I went to the barn to feed the pigs and there that roo still is, in the barn all by himself. And he's still in there. I wonder if he knows that this could be his last day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  07:37:45 AM  Show Profile
i am wondering kris, what does the dead bird look like? one bad mama wolf would have analyzed the kill. you might be able to know whats doing it. then maybe a live trap? i am curious is the stomach area gone or the eyes? just brainstorming here. usually the internal organs are gone from mine. the meat and body are left. i believe it to be a skunk. not sure though. i only lost a few. now none. i took all regular animal food and secured it. that helped a lot. especially the dog food on my front porch. skeemo was sleeping (dog) in the late eve. on the porch. a skunk came up sprayed the dogfood bag and poor skeemo. our house filled with that awful smell.LOL we ran outta here so fast. whew. do you have any other clues to the mystery killer. how about time? is the body limp warm cold. animals come out to hunt at different times. maybe we can help ya figure it out.i am thinking you are busy today cooking and visiting. what a noisy happy joyful bunch of love at your house. both ends are there..mom and dad grand kids and grandmas and pas. you get lottsa pics. i have not had one of those for toooo long. maybe in spring.happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  08:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, there is nothing left to analyze except a pile of feathers. That's why I think it's an owl. It happens at night. It would have to be an owl to take the whole bird. But I don't know for sure. I'll just keep putting the stupid birds inside the barn. maybe one day they'll learn that's the place to be. There were only 4 last night so maybe they are learning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  06:41:15 AM  Show Profile
I have two magazines from Hobby Farms called Chickens (Spring 2010 Summer 2010) I will send them to you if you would like them I had to give up my Backyard Chickens cause the village idoit changed the village ordinances after the fact. Cover all your bases before you get the chicks It is very hard to give them up once you have them They are very fun to have and they really grow on you very fast. Search online for BackYard Chickens you will find lots of helpful info. Let me know if you would like the magazines

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  06:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh My last Post was for Mama Jewel

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  12:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll, What a bunch of lovely stories, I don't think I missed a one. Question - I want to skin my roos instead of plucking...we don't eat the skin anyway so is it as easy as it sounds? I started out with 27 this year. I purchased them from McMurry as straight run thinking that I had a shot at 50/50 boys/girls, hah. They turned out to be all roos except for 8 hens...and, just like last year, the hens got eaten first by varmits (I think its a possum or owl-night hunters). So all that I have left is 5 roos and 4 are Buff Orpington (purchased becoz the breed are good layers and good meat)and one McMurray sends as a surprise, a barred rock, I think. They are in the trees at night and all over the ranch during the day. Even the ranch dawgs respect them. Question: should I keep the most gentle Buff for the hens I will be ordering - to keep them calm or will the age differnce be a problem..(don't want any bully-ing). Also, question, they are about one year old now so what is the longest I could let them go before they get tough. So sad that my hens never got to the age of eggs this time. Last years hens layed them everywhere except where they were suppose to.

Love and Prayers,
Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  2:05:34 PM  Show Profile
3 eggs today!!!! 2 in the hay rack and 1 that the mamma hen just layed. I don't know if it's the laying mash I started giving them last week or the warmer weather we've been having. I don't care as long as I get some eggs. I am one happy farmgirl right now. I came in the other day with an egg all happy about it and my hubby said he's never seen anyone so happy over an egg. Well, I know alot of people who get happy over their own eggs.

And my SIL wasn't able to come yesterday to help with the roos. So they have a little longer here.

Daisy, my red roos are about a year old and the bUffs about 8 months. You just have to cook them slow and low if you put them in the oven. Mine are always tender that way. Or boil them for soup or dumplings. And with skinning chickens you jsut have to be careful to not pull the meat. And wrap really good too with freezer paper. And use them within a year. The skin helps with keeping them tender I think. And I would just order a roo along with the chicks so they will grow up together. An older roo might be too tough on young hens. But that's just my opinion.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  3:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll Thanks Kris, Its your opinion that I value. Thanks, I was of the same mind with chicks growning up together, I'm not real sure i'll keep ANY of the roos coz what I wanted in the first place was hens. By the way, Sorry but the cow info but nature is doing all that - not you, anyway... I really enjoy the chick stories and I have a few of my own . I really think I should build the coop this spring to house my upcoming GIRLS. I'll order Buffs again coz they are so gentle and GOLDEN....

Love to all,
Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  7:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Ah I finally found a place where I belong in all of this...with you & the Chickens! i have at the moment 9 hens & a rooster in one coop, 4 hens & a frizzle rooster in another coop set up separately because they are are injured in some way...deformed feet, bare back skin ect. I also have 6 hens & a Sarama rooster in the house plus 1 male duck! 2 of the hens got injured before they came to me & limp badly, the Sarama rooster & his mate were being picked on by the big rooster in the big coop, my blue Orpington girl had someone pulling out her tail & vent area feathers. and Willow my baby is totally crippled so she will always live in the house. In 3 yrs I have always had at least 1 chicken in the house for one reason or another. I have cages & open top pens set up in the dining room for them but I got smart last year & put down indoor/outdoor room size rug so they can hang out by the wood stove & the carpet is easy to sweep or shampoo. I am not into any special breed since I rescue a lot of them from people who can't care for them anymore or don't know how to care for them when injured or sick. I tend to love them all no matter what their personally is.

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:26:38 AM  Show Profile
I love to hear all of your stories. I enjoy my chickens greatly.

Daizy- I have skinned many a chicken, roos too. I think the big thing is wrapping and cooking as Kristin said and I also think not letting the roos go too much over 1 year. I have used some older but found under 1 is best.

I currenlty have my wellsummer roo in our basement. We had a power outage, causing every bucket and trough to freeze. Well when we got everything on and busted up the ice and cleaned it out he ran out and drank like mad. Then my bad banty roos wouldn't let him back in. Well I din't notice all this going on till nearly an hour late. I went out to check on hi and he is severly frostbit. His waddles were very swollen. So he is now in, being treated and seems to be improving. He didn't crow his first 48 hrs. in. Now he is! I was so glad to hear him this morning. Those banty roos must go!!!

Well i hope you all are staying warm in this crazy weather!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile
amomfly I am so glad to hear your wellsummer roo is doing better, poor thing was so blessed to have you there to help him out & keep him warm after what he went thur. I had a beautiful wellsummer roo but had to give him away because he became too violent with me when I went near the coop or run. I suffered many spur wounds on my legs from that boy...but I sure did love him. I didn't want roo's but I got my 2 mini roo's from a neighbor ones a surama & the other is a frizzle & they are easy to handle, CeeCee my big rooster one of my girls hatched this last July so far he has been very good with me so I may keep him but its hard having to separate all the roos, but so far have done it but can't wait for the warmer months when I can get them outside. I may have to have another small coop just for the surama & his mate since she is small as well & the big roo hurts the little girl trying to mate with her & then fights off the surama when he comes to protect her...I only live on a 1/3 acre but have plenty of room for more small chicken coops & runs if needed. Love all the stories & info everyone is writing about...Michele' #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  07:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Do you ladies think it would be ok to give the chickens the gingerbread house my son made at Christmas, if I took all the candy off of it? The girls are getting really coop crazy because they haven't come out for a really long time. Even when I open the door they just come to the dooeway and look outside. I guess there's just way too much snow for them. We've had around 80" this season and I would say that there is close to
two feet or more on the ground still. any other ideas for board chickens?
Thanks Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  12:32:38 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure of Gingerbread - I would be concerned about the sugar level but I am sure the other ladies would know more then I..

I am not up to 6 eggs (blue and green) a day - I am so surprised they can even get the egg out because of this bitter cold and snow. I do have to go in many times in the day because they freeze and crack if I miss picking them out of the coop. Oh well, I am in there changing water and giving treats several times during the day (while checking on the expecting goats) as I make my rounds.

Today however, we have snow up to my thighs and driving wind that is building me huge drifts - one in front of the coop but the girls are staying warm and snug.

Stay warm ladies and keep those gals happy and warm.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  4:40:01 PM  Show Profile
since it is only one gingerbread house & not a case of them the chickens will love it..it will be like corn, high in sugar so give it to them first thing in the morning to eat/peck at so they have all day to burn off the sugar. plus since you are in CT I am sure its cold as it is here in Ma so they will love you for it!

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  5:51:33 PM  Show Profile
My goats usually get all the cookies. They love them. I am sure it will not hurt chickens at all. My animals get all the leftovers around here. Nothing goes to waste.

Grace, that's a lotta snow out there. I would not want to go out at all. I hope you never fall down.

I got 4 eggs today. I am so happy to finally be getting eggs again. I was just telling my hubby how I was thinking about getting rid of all the chickens. I am so sick of poop all over the place. I cannot step anywhere without stepping in poop. ANd some is very slippery. But then I get eggs and I think I will keep them. It's just so nice to have eggs again. I now have 8 eggs in the basket. And I had 3 scrambled this morning.

It's not that cold out tonight. There are 4 chickens roosting outside on the fence. They have all been going inside. There was a little hawk flying around this morning while I was out fixing the electric fence. I hollered at it. All 5 chicks are still here. The mamma didn't want to go in tonight. She wanted to hang out with her fella. I tried to get her in but she wouldn't go. SHe's kind of distancing herself from the chicks lately anyway. So I guess it's time for her to leave them. they seem to be fine. It's just a little sad.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  04:36:35 AM  Show Profile
I got 21 eggs yesterday! Even with all this cold and snow!
I have been giving them all the beeding from the goats the love to pick thru it and it saves on bedding. I think since they can scratch at it, they are happy, so more eggs!
My wellsummer roo is doing good. Those bad banty boys dive bombed at me lastnight. I will graduate the roo to the garage this week with a heat lamp and then he can go to the pen when it is a little warmer and the bad banty roos are gone. I think they need to go now!
Well I hope you all stay warm and dry!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  08:30:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh grace I am so jealous. I ordered my hens from the same hatchery as you did at the same time. No eggs yet. I am waiting. A few of the hens are hanging around the nesting boxes. I ended up with 4 roos. My orpingtons and Jersey giants have been laying all winter long.

I was laughing that your birds won't eat any greens. That is all my birds seem to eat. They are constantly at the cows hay feeder. My birds are in the barn with the cows. They love to roost on the cows backs.

Have you found the backyardchickens.com? I was researching our breed of birds and was told we have mutts or aka easter eggers. I was frustrated that I paid $$$$$ for supposedly rare birds and they are not. Live and learn. I love your blog and think it is so neat that my birds look exactly like yours.

Jenny
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  08:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies - it is bitter cold here again, wind going so hard it knocked me over into drifts two times while doing chores this morning. The hens where very happy to see me - warm water was first order, then I filled all their dishes and now I am up to 7 eggs but that is out of 32 hens so don't get too excited....

I had Americanas when I first start with hens some 20 years ago from a local heritage breeder - I must admit most of these girls do not look like my first girls. I did get Sunday two olive green eggs so I think I have two new girls trying their hand at this. Jenny I love that site and visit it often to see what is going on. I did get the girls to eat some sprouts and shredded cabbage this weekend. Your right if they live with others they would get the hint but they are not able to be with the other farm critters so they are living in a food vortex... Jenny I love Jersey Giants but I worried when I ordered my chicks that they would grow up too big for the hens I had and there would be issues in the coop.

Thanks for the kind words about the blog - I am way behind because my computer is still acting up and I am snow bound so no geek help. I have some great stories to get up there - maybe today. Stay warm ladies and keep the draft off our bums.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

JenStewart
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jenny
Armada Michigan
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  11:02:33 AM  Show Profile
We are getting 7 a day too, from 9 hens( 7 orpingtons & 2 jersey giants). The jg and orps are extremely docile. The araucanas are a little less friendly, but I want the colored eggs. Crossing my fingers everyday they will start laying. We are adding jg 50 pullets in march and that hopefully will be the last order. I plan on hatching from then on. We did a small hatch in November and it was fun. I have 3 acres of pasture for mine to mingle with the cows. They follow the cows everywhere. We have a flock of 94 and 60 are roosters. Butchering started yesterday. I do not plan on wintering this many over next year. Dh insisted on the getting the cheap roos from mt healthy last fall. Now we will only do roos in the spring. Live and learn.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  11:28:41 AM  Show Profile
good afternoon ladies & hens! :) I just wanted to let you know I have a blog http://www.theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
I mainly talk about raising my chickens, info on bedding, feeding, medical ect is also written about if you are interested. I have done quite a few articles so maybe there might be something you find interesting in the bunch. I like the idea of you recycling your goats bedding for the chickens...I try to use the old bedding from the coop out into the run so they can pick at it while out there & turn it under into the dirt. My big coop (9 hens, 1 roo) are all not laying right now but sine they ar not going out & have decided to sleep all the time I can see why they are not laying but I don't mind. My 4 in the basement coop lay daily & 2 of the injured girls in the house are laying so for one person 6 eggs a day is good. I got to barter 2 doz eggs today with a neighbors brother who shoveled off my flat roofs on my house this morning so i won't have big ice build-up. Love that I have something wonderful to trade instead of trying to find cash in the house. Have a great day! M' #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  12:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Michele- How cool to be able to barter like that!

I will have to check out your blog.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Chickens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page