sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  07:59:00 AM  Show Profile
hi all, just found this. wanted to mention that if you keep the soap in a room that is cold it stops curing. if stored after it is made and cut in a moderate temp it cures great. once cut it is like fine wine. in correct temp it ages and gets milder. i sell my long cure soap for more money. no cold not good. if just to harden a little and then cut ok not good for new soap. the lye and oils must bang against each other in the bar warm.i love the stick blender just a thought sherrye
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  09:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Kristin - I've not heard of Sugar Plum. Palm stearic is available from almost any soap supplier as it is a main ingredient in lotion making. It's also called stearic acid. Comes in granular form so it's very easy to work work. It's always great to find a local supplier so that you can pick things up instead of having to pay for shipping. I am so blessed to have 2 great suppliers in Portland.

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  1:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Kay, I love your etsy site!! Everything looks so pretty!
I noticed that you make your soaps with castor oil, don't you just love the bubbles it gives soap??!! I never make soap without it now, because I have to have the Bubbles!! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Brenda!!!

I love castor oil! I couldn't make soap without it either. I just made a facial cleansing oil using castor and avocado oil (for my personal use) and I love it. I thought I had a recipe on my computer for castor oil and Vitamin E facial cream but I can't find it right now. If I find it I will post. I have so many recipes that I've collected. A good thing to post in the Hen House!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Kay are you talking about the castor oil that parents used to make their kids drink if they had a stomach ache or didn't want to got to school?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  10:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - the medicinal castor can be used in soap. I've gotten it from the pharmacy in a pinch but it's kind of spendy that way. The cosmetic grade is what is sold for soap making. I now get mine in a gallon jug from a local supplier. Get a bottle at the pharmacy and try some in your soap. I do mine at about 3 to 5% of the recipe. It makes such wonderful lather!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  1:36:12 PM  Show Profile
I am making soap today. I had bought some beet root powder because I thought it would make the rose soap a pretty pink color. Wrong! I am so glad I tested some before I poured it all in because it turned the ugliest gray. So ya'll don't use beet root powder.

I am also making some plain calendula soap. I have read that turmeric can be used to make soap yellow. I am going to try this, too. But will test a little first just to see what will happen. I thought that would look pretty with the yellow petals. We'll see.

Anyone else making soap today? It's a dreary overcast sprinkly kinda day here. Can't do much outside. So I'll stay in and make soap.

Thanks, Kay. I'll have to check and see if the lady in Dunlap has the castor oil when I call.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  07:35:18 AM  Show Profile
I made my batch of Raspberry marbled soap yesterday--get to uncover it in three hours! It went well, no fragrance lumping problems this time. My marbling is pink--I hope it looks pretty! My daughter helped me, as there's a lot happening at the end there, so I thought a second hand would be wise.

Kris, my book says that beetroot powder contains red and yellow pigments and will color soap an earthy squash yellow, a darker, muddier shade of what turmeric will produce. Anyone else out there used beetroot powder?

Got my email from Brian, so I'm off to try out the Henhouse!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  3:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Baby carrots(jar) will give a nice, yellow color. It's pretty light, so if you want darker, you might want to use 2 jars- just substitute some of your water for the carrots....
I've been wanting to try beetroot powder!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't know why it turned gray. But I sure am glad I caught it before I added the whole cup in the soap. I guess it pays to know how much to add to each batch. I am not a good measurer so I really am not sure what I'm doing.

Today I made some sweet orange. I made swirls using turmeric with some of the soap and just swirled away. It looks so pretty and smell great. Also made some geranium that I am in love with. It smells heavenly. And then some clarey sage-lemon grass. Yum. So I have made 6 different batches in 2 days. I can't wait to try my really hard soap base I made last week. I need to make more base this week.

Thanks for the help. I need to go to the library this week and get me some books. I just thought that beet root powder would make the prettiest pink soap ever. Guess I was wrong. That's why it pays to read up on all this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  01:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Kris - I had the same thing happen to me when I tried to color some soap lavender. It was the most horrid shade of gray!! Sometimes the color will change after it cures. So do a small test batch to see what happens. Love sweet orange. I don't color my calendula soap. I just add calendula petals - they are about the only flower that will hold it's color in cp soap. Lavender buds turn brown and look little mice have been in the soap!

I shared a recipe in the Sassy Soap Hen House for soap using coconut cream - it's like coconut milk. I have more that I'll be sharing. I have LOTS on my computer.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  06:15:03 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone been making soap lately? It's kinda quite here. I am going to make several batches today. I picked up 3 books from the library and have gotten lots of good ideas for more soap. I am making bread this morning then have to go pick up Truckin' Man then go get some hay. So it'll be this afternoon when I get around to it.

So what have ya'll been up to?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  09:21:31 AM  Show Profile
I just sent a surprise parcel to a friend, with three different bars of my soaps for her to try! I have been making pretty labels on the computer for all my soaps.

I am planning to make some more soap next weekend (my Saturday off) and would like to try a batch with castor oil. I am expecting some more books to come in today from the library.

I have tried using the Honey & Almond soap that I showed pics of previously. Despite the spots, it's a lovely soap, and very hard, with the cocoa butter in it. And the spots mellow out once you start washing with it.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  09:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you soap makers ever used apple cider as the liquid in soap? I was looking on the Soap Forum and someone used it. I am making soap today and found a fragrance oil called Cinnamon Clovebud. I am going to try a 1 pound batch just to see. It sounds so good anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  11:36:53 AM  Show Profile
I've been making soap and yes Kristin, the last batch I made, I used apple cider as my only liquid. It worked great! The soap should be sured by the 15th of Feb. I can't wait to use it! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  1:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Heather, mine is ready to take out of the mold and cut later today. It smells so good! I may have to make some more. It sure did froth up alot more than with goat milk. It was almost like a whipped consistancy. Let me know how yours turns out. Can you post pictures? I can't seem to figure it out. I'd love to see yours.

I went today and got lots of different oils. I went to Walgreens first and got 4 oz. of castor oil for almost $5. Then went to a very expensive health food type store and got a 32 oz. bottle for $11. Anyway, I am ready to try a whole lot of different soaps this week. It's so fun!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  1:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Mine didn't get frothy but it traced SUPER quickly!!
I'm making another batch today but I'm using goats milk on this one. Soapmaking is certainly addicting!

Pictures and this forum don't get along for me either! I post pictures on my blog though when I do it. The ones from today will be up sometime this week.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  2:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am doing the hand milled soaps. That's the way I was taught and I haven't tried any other way yet. I want to but can't seem to do it. I will one day, though.

Today I made wheat germ and honey, almond meal, chamomileand ginger and vitamin E and aloe. I still have enough base to make a few more batches. I want to make an avacado tomorrow and an odor eating soap with ground coffee and powdered benzoin. Then I need to get more olive oil so I can start more base.

I can't wait to see pictures of your soap. I use goats milk but today I used rain water from my rain barrel.

Have fun!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  08:12:31 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
You'll have to tell me more about your method. I haven't heard of it. I've heard of melt and pour soaps and cold process (which is what I do.)
I posted pictures on my blog of the soap. Next time I'll have to take pictures of the method so people can see how easy it is!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  9:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Your soap is so pretty. What kind of mold is that? I just cut all the soap I made the other day up. I have made about 240 bars so far.

And the hand milled or French Milled soap is just basically a base soap that has no scents or herbs added to it. It's cured for at least 2 weeks then grated or cut up real fine and remelted. That's when I add goat milk and the EO and any flowers or herbs. Then cut and cured for a few months to harden. I am going to try making a castille soap next.

And what did I get liquid glycerine for yesterday? I know I saw a recipe somewhere for liquid soap that called for it. But now I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know what it's used for?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  06:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
Here's the mold I use: http://www.brambleberry.com/5-Lb-Wood-Log-Mold-with-velcro-straps-P3612.aspx
I actually bought mine from somewhere else but I can't remember where and it's the same mold.
Does the hand milled have lye in it, or why does it have to cure?

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  06:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey Heather. It's made just like normal with the lye and water and oils. I just let it cure after cutting for 2 weeks then the lye is gone. Then just grate or chop it up and melt it with goat milk or whatever and when it's melted I add the Eo's and flowers or whatever I'm adding. Then mold it and leave it for at least 24 hours, unmold and cut. Then depending on what kind I've made, it cures for a few months. I've been using some of the first soaps I made and they are so lathery. The wash cloth is full of suds and lasts a while.

I have been to that site before. Do you get your Eo and FO from there?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:38:35 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning all. i have not read the whole post yet. wondering what kris is using for your base? are you making the base from lye and oils? are you buying a base? sherrye will go back and read the pages

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  09:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, I just use veg. oils and sometimes lard, olive oil, coconut and palm. Melt all the oils and mix with the lye-water at the same temps. Just like a normal soap. I just don't add any Eo or milk. I wait til it's cured for a few weeks. Then that's the base for my hand milled soap. There are places where you can buy bases, too. Just how I was taught and I am too new at it to venture from this way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lotzfarm
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Teresa
Sequim Washington
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  3:22:01 PM  Show Profile
I've been making soap for 15 years. Best book for beginners is Sandy Maine's book, The Soap Book" , she has the Sun Feather Soap Company-- a great source of dyes and scents. With her recipe, it makes 7 lbs (40 bars). I use a Rubbermaid plastic container with a lid. Grease with Pam spray and it's pop out with ease, cut into bars. Another time saver is to ice down the lye water, use a Rubbermaid juice container for the lye water, surround by ice in a soup kettle (in a sink) and you'll cut your time from 4 hours to 1 hour. Wooden spoons, trays will eventually be ruined by the lye. Plastic and stainless are best. Best tool to cut the soap? Cement / Grout trowels-- wide, strong and easy to handle. Have fun!

Teresa
Farmgirl #994
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Soapmaking advice Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page