Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Making Soaps and Lotions Shampoos etc.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Making Soaps and Lotions Shampoos etc. Next Topic  

LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  10:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey yall. Just wondering if anyone has very EASY directions in making basic soaps. I tried several weeks ago but the recipe was sorta vague. Also I want to start making lotions shampoos etc. Tips and recipes are totally welcome!

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  04:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Leanne, I don't make soap but for shampoo I make 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water. Add herbs for desired effect. Conditioner - apple cider vinegar. Lotion I use coconut oil or jojoba oil. Can't get easier that that.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  07:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Will dig out my soap recipe book & get you an easy one later. I keep all supplies in a couple of tubs & they are packed in case of flooding. Gotta save the important stuff!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  11:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Here are some soapmaking sites I found also. Do a look up to find them.
Majestic Mountain Sage
Soapteacher.com
Old Timer Soapmaking
www.Fiascofarm.com

Homesteaders Soap
106 ounces lard
14 ounces lye
41 ounces cold water

Melt lard in an enamel or graniteware pan.
Mix water into lye-I use a large plastic pitcher.
When lard & lye mixtures are at 85 degrees mix them together in the pan.
Stir constantly with a stick blender.
Stir until "trace" (mixture thick like pudding)
Add scents at this time.
Pour into molds.
Leave covered & undisturbed overnight.
The next day you can cut your soap using a fishing line.
Let the soap cure for 6 weeks before use.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  12:13:10 PM  Show Profile
NEVER mix water into lye - you may get away with it but you may also get a volcanic explosion of lye. ALWAYS mix the lye into the water, and it is best to do so slowly. ALWAYS.

This is the cardinal rule of soapmaking. When you add the lye to the water, the temperature will almost instantly climb to close to boiling. Adding the water to lye can create a locally higher than that temp in the microseconds before all the water is added, making a more violet chemical reaction. Even a drop of lye water can go through many layers of skin in seconds. Or worse, blind you. Always wear protective eye covering and really, it is best to cover arms and legs as well with clothing. These simple safety precautions will prevent horrid accidents. Complacency has no room in soapmaking!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  9:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Also...being well versed in being inexperienced :) ... I found it makes much more sense to make small 1 lb. batches until I am happy with the results. Mistakes can be kind of expensive. And I had more fun "tinkering" with different recipes/processes knowing I could only ruin a pound at a time. Any of your recipes can be cut down to 1 lb. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, some of the lye calculators will do it for you.

I found a good tutorial that I used the first time I made soap. It appears that I saved it as a word document but did not include a reference to the blog I got it from. I would feel bad posting it here without being able to give her credit, but will email my document to you if you holler loud enough. I also found this link that looked pretty detailed, but can't vouch for it as I have not used it. Maybe you can let us know! (I still think the recipe is way too big but the general process is there).

http://www.makelotion.com/howtomakesoap.htm

I'm laughing a little bit at myself ... don't I sound all professional and knowledgeable. The truth is in my blog/website.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  11:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the EASY recipes!
And the warnings! :)

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Making Soaps and Lotions Shampoos etc. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page