kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  5:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum, Teresa. So good to have another soap maker here. Can you post that recipe? It's always good to have alot of recipes to try. I got the only 3 books our library had a few weeks ago just to see different ways to make soap. I need to buy 2 of them now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  07:08:04 AM  Show Profile
teresa, what a good idea. using cement trowels to cut. i have been married to a cement man for 35 yrs. i never thought of using a trowel. thanks for the great idea. kris when you melt your grated soap up to add ings. do you use water in the pan if so how much? thanks sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  09:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, I use goat milk mostly. The other day I used rain water from my rain barrel. For a 1 pound batch I use 8-10 oz. of liquid. It varies for each batch though. You just have to see what it looks like towards the end of melting. I used apple cider for one batch to make a mulled cider soap. It smells so good. I need to make some more. It was real bubbly though. So can't stir too much. Oh, I also have to use a double boiler, too. Even on low the soap boils and bubbles.

I would like to get one of those long pizza cutters like they use in pizza place. That would cut a wide bar really good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  1:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals, don't forget that your library will do interlibrary loan for any books you want that they don't have! (This is my day job, ha ha ) It's great to borrow the book first, before you buy it, to have a good look at it.

I am hoping to make some soap tomorrow. Early last week I ordered my castor oil, hoping it would be in Friday's mail, but it wasn't, so my weekend of soap-making has stalled...hopefully it will be in tomorrow!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  6:36:31 PM  Show Profile
hi, i have the pizza cutter wheel like one. works great on slabs.papa made me square wood molds. very cheap. they have a hinge and a latch. i line them with waxed butcher paper. i like to be artistic with my soap. having slabs gives me more area to work with. i also like bars of soap. i find the silicone baking molds work great for soap hearts and such. castor oil makes such nice bubbles very rich. let us know how it turns out. have not had time to cut yet. happydays sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lori. I was wondering where you were. I sure hope you get to make soap today. I want to try the castor oil, too. I have a big bottle now.

I just made castille soap. It takes 8-10 weeks to cure. That'll be the middle of May. I will make some more different kinds this week. It's so fun.

Sherry, I am going to see if my hubby will make me some molds, too. I was at K-Mart yesterday and I look at things now as possible molds. Does anyone else do that? I think bread pans would make great molds. And I would like to find an antique muffin tin to use, too.

Ya'll have a good soapy day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile
The castor oil did not arrive today, so I went to the pharmacy and bought some pricey stuff to use until the bigger bottle arrives. So, I will get to make soap this afternoon, after all!

I am trying a smaller recipe, so I treated myself to a lovely pot for it. The larger stock pot I use for the big recipe won't work too well for the blender, with this smaller recipe. Anyway, I used points I had saved up so I got the pot for free (sort of!)! I am going to try a loaf pan for a mold today.

I make CP soap adding the fragrance in right away, so with a smaller batch I can try out more scents.

Nice surprise last week, I went to my hairdresser's and gave her a couple of bars--well, she asked me right away if she could put some in the shop to sell! I didn't even get a chance to ask first!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  09:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll. I hope you got your cartor oil, Lori. And that you got to make some soap. And that's great about selling your soaps at the salon. Good luck with that.

I made another batch of base using lots of castor oil and wheat germ oil. It's really a dark yellowish brownish color. And I used a different mold since it was a smalled batch and I can't get it out. I'll have to put it in some hot water.

Also made some odor eater soap using coffee and benzoin powder. It smells good. And an avocado and benzoin powder soap. Just about 9 bars of both. I have enought base to make another small batch. Maybe more peppermint.

So what is benzoin anyway? It seems like it's maybe an arasive powder.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  05:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I have read that you can put your mold in the freezer if the soap will not come out. I have not tried any soap in plastic molds yet, but I want to.

I ended up going to the pharmacy to get castor oil, since my parcel got sidetracked (wrong postal code on it so it went for a bit of a tour but I got it eventually!). Castor oil at the pharmacy is much more expensive! Anyway, I made two batches of soap this week, Morning Mint and Ginger Cream. These were smaller batches that fit into a loaf pan, so I got 8 bars from each.

I am planning to make soap this weekend, with shea butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil and avocado oil in it. It's recommended as a baby soap, and I'm going to add Angel Song fragrance to it.

I'm taking a basket of soaps to the salon today...keep your fingers crossed!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  06:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Good luck, Lori. Let us know how they do. And your soaps sound good. I love mint.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good recipe for soap for people with eczema? What essential oils do you use in it?

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

tiff foss
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Tiffini
Geneva Ohio
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  6:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Soap Making is so wonderful! My daughter has really dry itchy skin and I make her a oatmeal goats milk bar which has really helped her skin:) Tea tree oil is also good.

www.rivercottagefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile
Here is what I put into my batch of soap today, for a blend for people with eczema:

Base was my baby soap, using avocado oil, sweet almond oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil & palm oil. Essential oils were lavender, bergamot, clary sage, lime and carrot seed. Then I added some soapwort root powder. It is under wraps right now, and looks a greenish yellow from the avocado oil. Smells nice and herbal!

Has anyone else here used soapwort root powder? I just bought some and wanted to try it. It's supposed to be very soothing for itchy skin and said to help heal skin ailments.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I looked in the library soap books I had but didn't see anything about excema. It was in the other book I had already taken back. But wouldn't just oatmeal and goat milk be good to use, too? What you're doing sounds good. I have not used soapwort root powder yet. I have seen some recipes for it, though.

Hi, Tiffini. What kind of soap do you make? Then I just saw what you wrote about oatmeal and goat milk. Sorry! But great minds think alike!

I am still waiting on my last batch to cure then I will be making more. The castille takes 2 1/2 months to cure.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  1:08:29 PM  Show Profile
I want to try making goat's milk soap, too, but I'm a little afraid of mixing the lye & milk, for some reason! Should I just use cold goat's milk? It will be from the store.

I do CP method, not rebatching.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  2:21:57 PM  Show Profile
From what I have been reading, when you add the lye to the milk (and alot of the recipes say tepid) you have to have your oils ready and at the temp they need to be. You have to pay attention to the color. When it is a light brown you add it to the oils. If it turns orange you've waited too long. I have seen videos where someone used frozen goat milk and added the lye to that. It just took a few minutes to melt the milk.

But the most important thing is to have your oils already melted and ready because it must not take long to get to the brown stage. I am going to di it that way once just to see what it looks like.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  4:54:36 PM  Show Profile
The recipe I have here for Goat's Milk Soap says to prepare the oils, let them cool to 110 F. Then have a sink with water & ice cubes ready, measure your milk, put the container in the ice water bath, then add the lye to the milk. This is supposed to keep the milk/lye mixture from getting too hot. It says to not let it go above 150 F. When the milk/lye is 110 F, then proceed as usual, mixing the milk/lye into the oils.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with lye & goat's milk? Is it that scary?

I'm going to try making this on the weekend!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:01:41 AM  Show Profile
I've done lye and goats milk before and I've never had a problem. I do CP. All I do is mix the lye and milk. That's it. I mix it outside and leave it there to cool. I then do my oils inside, let them cool and then mix everything together. It's pretty simple! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile
Heather, what about the color then?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  10:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I took the plunge this morning and made goat's milk soap! At least I think I did...

I was reading a book yesterday that said to first freeze your goat's milk, then let it thaw, so I did that. It said the milk would turn a dark yellow colour with the lye. I had my oils ready, and an ice water bath. I slooowly added the lye to the milk, and it did turn a dark yellow colour eventually, like French's mustard, or my rubber gloves. The fat in the milk did separate a little, like globules on top, but the book warned of that, too. It did not go higher than 150 F. When it cooled to around 95 F (and the oils were the same) I mixed it into the oils, and it became a lovely caramel colour! The stick blender was a great help, too. I added honey, fragrance oil and ground oatmeal. It's now been put to bed for a day, and I'll see tomorrow how it turned out!

Now I'm off to make yogurt...

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  6:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
All that lye handling, aren't you afraid of it? I've wanted to make soap but I've always been afraid of the lye. So I take the cheaters way, I make melt and pour, not really a good soap though, leaves a filmy feel on the skin.

Liz
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  05:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Liz, I was afraid at first. That's why it took me so long to actually do it. But the girl that taught me has an outside kitchen so we did it all outside. Now I mix the lye out on my backporch=laundry room. It's cold out there so it cools fast. Also after 2 weeks of curing the lye is all gone anyway. It says to not handle the soap without gloves for 2 weeks, but I do. I have never gotten burned yet. I hope I never do. That's why I wear gloves. It's really not that scary anymore.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile
I was afraid of the lye, too, but if you work carefully and don't rush, you should be fine. Always wear the rubber gloves, and keep vinegar handy to apply if any gets splashed or spilled. (Your lye solution is basic, and vinegar is acidic, so they will counteract each other and you end up with salt and water.)

I mix my lye into the water on top of the stove with the fan over the stove on high. The fumes don't last very long, and I don't breathe in deeply when stirring.

-----

Interesting results with my goat's milk soap the other day: I had enough when poured to fill a loaf pan, plus one small plastic container (the size for one bar). After the 24 hour period, the small bar was the tan/caramel colour like the mixture was when it was poured, but the loaf had darkened to a honey/amber colour! I guess there was more heat in the loaf to intensify the colour throughout the insulation period. Also, the recipe had actual honey in it, which would contribute heat, too.

Anyway, it looks nice, and I hope it works just as well! Won't know for a month...

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Lori, can you share your goat milk soap recipe? And do you have the measurements in pounds and ounces? I am not into the metric or whatever that is. I have a 32 oz. yogurt container of frozen goat milk right now. I need to go get some more palm oil. That's all I'm out of right now.

I am rebatching the castor oil base I made a few weeks ago. I already made some clarey sage-rosemary with ground up fresh rosemary leaves. It smells so good. I am now making sweet orange-patchouli. Then I might have enough base to make a small batch of spearment-peppermint soap. All with goat milk, too. I need to make some more base now. I am out after this.

Anyone else making soap today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:28:52 AM  Show Profile
I made soap today, and yesterday, too! Today's was a coconut/olive/palm/castor oil blend, with essential oils of grapefruit, lime, clary sage and thyme. It's called Lady Marmalade. I also put dried chamomile flowers in the lye water, then strained them out, to give it a light yellow colour. Something different to try. Yesterday's soap was the same base recipe (no chamomile flowers), with Heather fragrance oil. I'm calling it Highland Heather. It smells so nice, I just cut it into bars. Smells like that wonderful green smell when you walk into a florist's shop.

It's warm today, and my husband came in from the barn all smelly & stinky of manure, so I had to shoo him away from the fresh soap and put all his stinky clothes outside! Don't want manure soap...

My soaps are selling at the hair salon! I met up with a lady at the grocery store, who told me she bought one of my soaps at the salon! I haven't been by to see how they are going, but she said there were a few sold, and that was a week ago! Yippee!

Here is the recipe I used for the Goat's milk soap. Sorry it's all in metric, but you can google a converter site to change the measurements to whatever you use.

Oatmeal & Honey Goat's Milk Soap

198.5 grams coconut oil
297.7 grams olive oil
127.5 grams palm oil
86.4 grams sodium hydroxide
235 grams goat's milk (frozen & thawed)
1 Tbsp. liquid honey
1/4 cup ground oatmeal
4 tsp. fragrance oil (optional)
5 grams grapefruit seed extract (optional preservative)

Melt the oils together and let cool to 100F. Add the lye slowly to the goat's milk, using an ice water bath to keep the temperature down (do not let it go above 150F). When the lye milk is 100F, add to the oils and stir until mixture traces lightly. Add the honey and fragrance, if using, and mix. Add ground oatmeal, mix, then pour into desired mold(s).

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Soapmaking advice Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page