Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  8:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe Kris and Lori for the site. There is a lot of information there. I'll have to get reading.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  04:43:38 AM  Show Profile
What do you girls think of a soap makers henhouse? I really think we need one!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  06:17:42 AM  Show Profile
I would love to be a part of a soap makers henhouse. Alee was suggesting that in Across the Fence, I think. That would be great. I would join. I will also help out in any way but I am no leader. I can help a leader, though. Just let me know what I can do to help. You might also ask in the Stitching and Crafting thread and there's another place someone started a post about making soap. I'll go look for it. It's Home Safe Home.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 10 2010 06:18:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile
I took the plunge last night (supplies arrived) and made my first batch! It is now under wraps, and the suspense is killing me! It is still warm, after 12 hours, so I guess that's a good sign.

I didn't have to worry about running the stick blender too long. Mine must be fairly powerful (250 watts) as it kept wanting to pull the blender down to hit the bottom of the pot when I was blending. I basically ran it on pulse cycles, and stirred with it not running in between.

I hope I got it to the proper trace step. That's where I wished I had someone with me who had done it before! It was like thin frosting when I poured it, but I did have to smooth it out to reach the corners of the wooden box I used. It looked and smelled scrumptious! I scented it with lavender, bergamot, lemon and lime essential oils.

I like the idea of a Soapmaking henhouse, too!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  04:23:41 AM  Show Profile
How exciting Lori!!! It sounds like you did everything right! I have had mine be different consistencies when it reaches trace, depending on what I put in it.....
Will you be unmolding this morning??!!! We want to see pictures!!! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  04:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Okay all you soapmaking farmgirls!!!! I've sent in a request for a new henhouse named Sassy Soapers. I'll let you know when it's official!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  04:47:52 AM  Show Profile
I guess I did everything right! I now have 16 beautiful bars of cut soap standing on their sides drying on a cloth on a cookie sheet!

My corners of the mold were a bit lower than the rest, but other than that, I think I did a pretty good job, for my first attempt.

I only got a little of that mysterious white powder on the top, and it only formed in the corners of the mold. My soap was like waxy hard butter, if I can compare it to something, when I went to unmold it. But it wasn't too hard to cut.

Now I am hooked. I want to make soap every day! I already have 4 more batches planned. Need more coconut oil...

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  05:37:44 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I think the white powdery stuff is the lye. After it cures for 2 weeks the lye should all be gone and then it's not caustic anymore. So be sure to wear your gloves when turning the soaps until then. The longer it dries the harder it gets. And the harder it is the longer it lasts. I use embroidery mats so the bottoms can get air, too. Just suggestions as I am new at this too. I hope you don't think I'm trying to tell you how to do this.

Brenda, thanks for doing this. If you need help let me know. This is exciting! I like the name, too.

Kris

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  10:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Kris,

All tips and advice are most welcome! It helps us all out.

I trimmed the powdery parts off, just to be on the safe side. And my book said to wear the gloves when handling fresh soap, too.

What do you mean when you say embroidery mats? Plastic canvas, or aida cloth?

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  12:26:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the plastic canvas. It lets the soap breath on all sides that way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  4:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Have you all heard of the "zap test" to see if soap is ready yet?
I was too chicken to try it with my first batches, but eventually I did. ;) It's more of a sharp taste than a zap, but you can tell the difference. When you don't get zapped, the lye is gone. Believe it or not, sometimes the day after unmolding and cutting your soaps, the lye can be gone. Other batches can take much longer.
In hot process soaps, the lye is gone immediately, so soap is ready to use right away. I want to try this next.
Oh, so you lick the soap with the tip of your tongue, and obviously you spit after doing this!!! :0 :0

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  4:35:45 PM  Show Profile
And I forgot to add:
I've been using some of those plastic coated wire shelves to air my soaps on. I had some long ones, that I would set up between two chairs, until my dd stole them, but I do have some small- 2' x 6 inches ones with legs that I use.
Kristin- Do you put the plastic mesh on a shelf or do you have it so that air circulates underneath?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  8:17:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a wire shelf and I put the plastic canvas on that then the soap. And I have heard of the zap test. I'm too scared to try it, though. I will have to get some more shelves soon. Also a friend of mine used the big bread trays that stack when the bread is carried into stores. I'll have to ask her where she got hers. Anything that will allow air to circulate all over the bars. Even wire cooling racks work good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  04:46:31 AM  Show Profile
I have read about the tongue tasting test, but it does sound scary! I can still hear my chemistry teachers telling us to never taste anything in the lab!

I made another batch of soap last night (told you I was hooked!) and this one is honey & almond scented, made with cocoa butter and jojoba oil, along with olive, palm, & coconut oils. Wow, is cocoa butter ever hard! Supposed to make a good, hard soap, though. I hope this one isn't too hard to cut tonight, as I have to leave it 22 hours before I can get to cut it. (Work is now interfering with soap-making...!)

I'll move my drying soap to some extra wire cooling racks I have. Don't have any plastic canvas here, and I have spent a fair chunk of money lately, on this, so I have to improvise.

Another question: Has anyone ever used heavy plastic containers for molds? I have some nice rectangular Lock & Lock containers, that look like they would be good for soap molds. And they have the fitted lid to match. Would these work? Maybe not locking the lid down?

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile
I just made another batch of soap. And wow, I used the stick blender I bought last week. That'a the best $20 I ever spent. It was thick like cake mix in just a minute. Good thing, too, because the blender was getting warm after just a few minutes. It's great. I love that. I will never hand mix again. When I drizzled soap on top it just sat there. Nice and thick. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I used some palm oil in this one. And yeah, why is coconut oil so darn hard? Mine is in small tall containers with a little opening and I cut my hands up every time. I wonder why I can't put it in the microwave to soften it up a bit.

Lori, I use whatever I have on hand for molds. Even the tin throwaway cooking pans are good. Boxes. Lids. I use the butcher paper taped down.

I wish I could post pictures. I'd love to see some of ya'lls soaps.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  5:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Ok, gals, trying the picture thing here so hope this works. Here is a photo of my two batches of soap I have made. The lavender citrus is on the right, and the one I cut tonight, Honey & Almond, is on the left:

Now here's the problem. When I went to cut the Honey & Almond, it has spots through it. I hope you can see them:

Here's another shot, after it had dried for 1/2 hour:

Are these bad? I was making the soap last night, and it was going along beautifully, then I had to add the fragrance. I used a fragrance oil, NOT an essential oil. When I added the fragrance oil, the mixture wanted to lump up somewhat. I tried to stir it in as best I could, but I was hurrying to get it into the mold so it wouldn't harden in the pot! I am sure this problem is from the fragrance. Now, ladies, I put over $40 into this batch, and so please don't tell me I have to throw it out!! It has jojoba oil, cocoa butter, etc. in it. The other part of the soap that's smooth looks great, though.

I have one book that talks about lye pockets, and says the soap is ruined. Another book says if they are small, you can get away with it and it will evaporate. Is that what these are?

Please, I need advice here! I won't give these bars away to people, but I would like to be able to use them for us. This is so disheartening, since the first batch went so perfectly.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  04:44:38 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I am betting that they are not lye pockets, but spots from your lumps that didn't want to mix in.
I made a tangerine soap in December, and colored it with baby carrots. The tangerine made it thicken so quickly that I now have white spots throughout the soap. It is definitely not lye.
You will need to cut into a bar though(carefully, with gloves on!) through one of the spots to know for sure.
Still waiting to hear about the Sassy Soapers!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  06:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Looking at this soap this morning, I am more convinced these are pockets of fragrance oil. The bit of liquid that was in them was oily. My dining room smells heavenly, though!

When I mixed the fragrance oil in, I had used the stick blender up to the trace point, then used a rubber spatula to mix in the fragrance. Maybe I should use a wire whisk, or the blender, to mix in the fragrance if it wants to go lumpy like this one did.

They are now on wire racks drying. I have books that describe botched batches, but cannot find pictures of what to look for!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  10:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Lori - I add my fragrance, stir with my stick blender off to mix, and then give it a whirl with the stick blender on. It looks like you have "Dreaded Orange Spots" in your soap. This comes from the oxidation of the soft oils in your soap. Some of the oils could have been rancid, you superfatted too much, or any other number of things. Here's some info. http://www.helium.com/items/619470-how-to-avoid-orange-spots-when-making-soap

I would just let the soap cure and it will probably be just fine to use.

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jan 13 2010 10:13:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  2:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Kay, for the link. It's not happened to mine yet, thank goodness. I am so glad you checked in on us fledgling soap makers. I made another batch yesterday and just took it out of the mold today. It's very hard. It took forever to cut up. It's drying now upstairs for a few weeks. I'll make more tomorrw. I used palm oil this time again. I think that might help to harden it? Just a guess. I didn't use it for the 2 batches that were very soft.

Lori, thamks for the pictures. They look good anyway. I'm sure they'll still get ya clean.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  4:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard of Nancy Today? I was looking up soap making on Youtube and she has a bunch of videos. I think she's in Canada. She's so funny. She is very addictive to watch. I just want to see what she's up to next. Her son gets on there sometimes. Anyway, ya'll should check her out. She's too cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Girls! The brand new Sassy Soaps henhouse is up and running!!! Come join me! We will have lots of sudsy fun in there, hehehe!!!
Just send Brian an email at brianogle@maryjanesfarm.org and he will get you in!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  5:33:21 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - you know how much I love to talk about soap and am always happy to help in any way. So glad that your soaping is going great. A hard bar of soap is a good thing! The palm does help to make it harder. You can also add palm stearic acid (1 tbsp per lb of oils added when melting hard fats) or sodium lactate (I have used 1.5 tbsp for a 3.5 lb batch of soap) - to make a harder bar. I bought some stearic acid to make lotion and have been adding it to my soaps - it really helps. But neither of these are necessary.

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  05:06:45 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I just emailed Brian to get me into the henhouse! Thanks for organizing this, it should be fun!

So, my spotted soap looks good, despite the blemishes, which have lightened up now. It smells so almondy in here! I'm going to use them, and will just think of the spots as little bursts of fragrance!

So, sounds like fragrance oil can be a bit temperamental. I have another batch planned for Saturday night, a raspberry one that I want to try marbling on. I'll definitely put the blender to it so I don't get these pockets any more. (It's fragrance oil again)

It's all a learning curve, right? Thanks for all your advice, ladies. You have been a big help!

Both batches made so far are hardening up nicely.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  06:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Kay, where do I get the palm stearic acid? Does it have to be ordered? There's supposed to be a local soap supplier in Dunlap, Tn. called Dianna's Sugar Plum Sundries. About an hour from me. I am going to call and see if they are still in business. I'd love to go see what she has. Have you heard of that?

Lori, I'm glad your soap will be usable. They look pretty, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Soapmaking advice Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page