Page: of 15

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Daizy, What kind of animals do you have??
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  04:37:17 AM  Show Profile
It's freezing here! But the wind is blowing so maybe we'll dry out a little here. I don't think we're supposed to get any more snow. But that could change in a second. The snow we were supposed to get last night came early. It covered the ground again fast. But it's mostly gone now. But very icy. My car dorrs are probably frozen. So that means hauling water to the critters this morning! Yippee!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  3:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Here we go again....weather advisory until tomorrow(Tues) noon. I walked up the street to my moms to take her some lunch and had coffee with her. It was just barely spitting snow. In 2 hours it was really coming down and the roads were covered. I walked home and shoveled(about 3 inches already) and cleaned out the end of the driveway where DH always gets stuck. This is crazy. C'mon Spring!!!

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  6:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Judy, my hubby's heading to Cincinatti (well, how do you spell that anyway?). I was telling him about your post here. He ain't happy. Poor guy.

We are supposed to have freezing below 20 tonight. School is postponed 2 hours as of awhile ago. It may be cancelled before morning. I heard on the news earlier there were 3 deaths just this morning form the frozen icy roads. And elderly couple in their 80's were killed in a crach. It started out at 36 at 6 am and by 7 it was 30. That's how fast the temp dropped. So the roads froze up again. People spinning out all over. And we are hilly and mountainy here. It will be like this in the morning again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  7:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Close Kristin, Cincinnati! lol He's in my prayers girlfriend! It just hasn't stopped. Slowed down a little....but hasn't stopped. My DH should be on his way home from work, unless he works over. Mondays can be crazy at a Co.Jail. It's court day....lots of paperwork! Then he has to take his mom to the Dr. in the morning early. I hate that. Makes me nervous. I'd rather he be home and safe!

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  04:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Judy! I was pretty close. Schools are closed here again. These poor kids will be in school til July here making up for snow days. It's snowing again, too. And so darn cold. I hope your hubby made it home ok last night.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  06:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll, I'm back and its really COLD out there!!! Maggie14 - I have 88 head of cattle (that includes the babies born this fall and winter) and 2 leased bulls and I have 3 horses and 1 donkey and 7 dawgs and 4 cats. None of them like this weather, either. The cats are all piles up on my bed and they stay there all day long and the dawgs would rather stay in also but I can't leaved them in all the time. They go out, do their business,then run back to the door and start barking to come back in. I wish I could bring the calves inside too but thats not fesible now is it. At least the cows have water from the ponds so I don't have to haul it this year - I had to haul it during our drought several years ago but only had 60+ head then. Yesterday the tractor was doing the fish-tailing while feeding the cows. And the cows were blocking my way wanting the hay before I could get to my destination. The roads are clear but MAN is it cold. The light at the end of the tunnel was just announced on the news. Said: Maybe in the 50's by Friday.

Got to go for now. I have 2 boarding dogs here and they need baths before they go home and must get started on chores, too.

Thanks for the prayers and condolences on my dads passing. Its real nice to know folks are so compassionate.

Bless you, Sisters

Daizy #1093

PHR Farmgirl
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin,DH made it home but said roads were AWFUL! No crews out around here, only on freeway.He didn't have to take his maw to Dr cause schools were closed all over so she said that was reason enough for her to cancel too. hahaha Smart woman! How did your hubby fair with his trip to Cincy? They say we'll have snow through Friday, may be clear Friday night. hmmmmm....we'll see.

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:10:45 PM  Show Profile
hi all
well its been snowing like the dickens here but not sticking
that goodness for that
the cats have cabin fever
and so do i can't wait for planting season
open all the windows and air the place out
this has been crazy weather all over the country
have a warm night
jersey farmgirl

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Deborah....our cat has the "Crazies" too. Hides behind chairs, then jumps out and bites our legs....ya....he needs something to do! lol Stay warm! Hot beverage weather for sure...laced with human"anti-freeze"!!!

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Judy, they shut him down. I talked to him earlier today. He had stopped at a truck stop about 3 this morning after almost losing it a few times. So they made him stay there. Now he's supposed to be heading to Iowa, I think he said.

Daizy, there are about a hundred head of the red and white cows just about a mile from me. On the way home today I almost ran into a car on the side of the road. They had pulled over to watch a cow give birth! When I got there she was still licking it off. But they are dropping calves like flies out there right now. Why do they breed cows to calve in the coldest part of the year? Dec. Jan. and Feb. they are born here. And it's freezing. My red Angus heifer will be 2 in July and I want to breed her then for a spring baby. Is that ok? I have just always wondered why beef cattle always calve in winter.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh shoot. I forgot to say on the weather tonight the 7 day shows 57 on Sunday here!!! Oh my goodness, that is shorts weather for sure! A 20% chance of rain, too. But still. 57! Heat wave!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll. Kris, my cows are suppose to be finished calving by December (our coldest weather is usually Feb/Mar down here) Remember the Chritmas times we have had with 90 degrees. We are off the calender by several months coz last bull was here for 18 months due to lack of a truck to haul him home (he was a leased bull), therefore, calves have been born way out of schedule. Ideally tho, cows birth calves when the flies in the south are at a minimum which is late fall/early winter (Oct. Nov. and Dec.) If you keep bulls too long then they get off schedule like some of mine. Winter/late winter is not the time to have calves--like you said--its to cold and raw out there. Spring calves are good coz grass is coming on and mommas have lots to eat so babies have good milk. Summer is not a good time coz of heat and delivery then flies on embilical cords and soft calf skin for mosquitoes. Since you are in GA. I would say calve in Fall or Spring. I want fall coz market if best in spring when weaning (buyers can put young calves on spring grass and get lots of growth the natural way. I am all natural over here. I guess we all do things alittle differently but it is really what works for you and your area and your prospective.

Oh, yeah, the weather.....still cold but no snow anymore, wind is blowing real good tho. tonight will be in the 20's again.

God Bless, sisters.

Daizy #1093

PHR Farmgirl
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Also, Kris, if she has a spring calf then you will wean in 6 months. What are your plans for the calf, sell or keep or freezer? Just plan the whole thing out and check the markets for the time of year best in your area (that is, if you are planning to sell calf) Look closely at climate and pests for the time of year you birth and raise to 6 months. You would not beleive what flies and worms will do to a healthy cow/calf. (Worms live on grass and cows eat grass and the cycle begins all over again.) I HATE parasites!!!

stay warm

PHR Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  9:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much for sharing Daizy!!!

Today was a wonderful and beautiful day!! There was sunshine and blue sky!! My goats loved it!! We played some today!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  04:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll. So Sorry for running on, Maggie14. This farmgirl is just passionate about being a good steward. I was only trying to help Kris.

God Bless, Sisters.

Daizy #1093

PHR Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:13:38 AM  Show Profile
....that's the Farmgirl way...helping each other. We have about 7 new inches of snow since we last sppoke! We keep on top of it. Still around 25. Have a great "SpunkyGals" kind of day!!

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:21:28 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, thanks so much. I will e-mail you.

It's a beautiful day here. Fluffy clouds in a blue sky. I need to wash clothes and hang them out. My drain pipe goes outside and is frozen right now. So I will have to wait til this afternoon to wash. Then I'll hang out tomorrow.

I can hardly wait for this weekend. In the 50's!!!

Channah, I put my goats out in the pasture with the cows. They are all grazing away.

I just talked to hubby, Judy. He's still in Ohio but will be going to Va. He said it's nice there today in Ohio. Hope it is where you are.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 17 2010 08:22:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, you didn't do anything wrong Daizy! I am glad you heled Kris out!! Way to go Farmgirl!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  09:04:01 AM  Show Profile
Kris...we are still spitting snow but nothing crazy. I hope all goes well for your hubby. He must have quite a job to be driving all over like he does.Poor guy! :(
Channah...I'm sorry,I didn't answer you when you asked me how I was doing on our "Sad" day. Mom and I spent part of the day together and we talked about Daddy and shared dreams that we had about him all that week. We got through it. Thanks for asking "Dear"... that was sweet of you! Big hugs to you!

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  11:45:50 AM  Show Profile
It is beautiful here today! But still on the chilly side. blue sky and sunshine.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  1:11:05 PM  Show Profile
COlD COLD AND MORE COLD!
I would love for my feet to be toasty again.
It is so unusual for FL to be this cold for this long. But the forcast says "the Sun will come out tomorrow" lol it is supposed to warm up.

~Kayce~

Check out PenPals for FarmKids http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38599
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  1:46:29 PM  Show Profile
It's pretty sunny and mild out, and the birds are coming back from their winters retreat and singing their little hearts out today!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

dleanders
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Debra
Belfair Washington
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  2:14:24 PM  Show Profile
The weather here in the hills above Belfair, Wa is awesome! It's probably almost 60 out. I woke-up this morning and went outside to feed the animals and it was so sunny and warm I imediately went and stripped the sheets off my bed and they are now on the clothsline drying. I am going to bed tonight smelling my first line dryed sheets! I can hardly wait.
Also openned all the windows and my house smells soooo good right now.
Deb L
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  2:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I was just outside and saw the Jonquils poking up about an inch out of the ground!!!!!! And I saw a Bluebird a few days ago!!!

Kayce, my parents live in S. Ga. They said it is supposed to warm up to 67 this weekend. I am going down there! But we are supposed to get to 57 Sunday here!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Weather Report: Previous Topic Whats the weither like there? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page