Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  04:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and another question.

I usually knead my bread in my KitchenAid mixer. I understand that I can't use the starter in that metal bowl, and probably shouldn't raise my sponge in it, either. But do you think I can knead it in there? I gotta get me a biiiig ceramic bowl, don't I?

Thanks for your patience with the questions, and thankyou again for your wonderful gift! I'm thrilled beyond words.

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  07:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Mary Ann, so glad the starter arrived safely. The manner in which you received it was the hopefully "new and improved" way. But, I think one packed this way still exploded.

The sugar.... I like a sweet sourdough flavor, so, I add the extra sugar in at the recipe time. You can certainly modify that in any way you like. It will not change the sponge. The sponge is mainly for the whole grains to soak up the moisture and be soft. There is enough sugar in the starter to supply the dough with adequate food for the yeasts. There are times I don't add any extra sugar and make a more savory and herb type loaf.

I usually get 1 loaf and about 18 dinner rolls out of a recipe.

You can increase the starter a couple of ways....When you remove a cup just put it in another container and you now have two starters to feed. Or you could feed the starter you have with double the ingredients and let it set out and get really strong, pull out a bit for baking and feed it more. I keep my starter at around 5 cups now. If I take out 1 cup then I feed it one cup ingredients. If I take out 3 cups then I feed it 3 cups ingredients....never letting it get below about 1 1/2 cups.

14 days question....If you're not going to be using the starter for that amount of time I suggest keeping it in the refrigerator and loosely covered. When you're ready to use it you'll be feeding it first and letting it sit and then taking your 1 cup from it. So, any moisture lost can be replaced at the feeding.

Kneading in your mixer metal bowl should be fine. Just don't let it sponge or rise in the metal bowl...especially on the 2 or 3 day rise.

Yummy Blessings!!!!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  10:20:27 AM  Show Profile
I used my kitchen aid mixer for kneading last time and it was fine. Like Catherine said though, didn't let it rise in it.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  1:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Those 50 dinner rolls that were supposed to get me orders turned into less than 35 after my family got a hold of'em. Took'em up to the feed store and Pam and Chuck just loved'em. I couldn't leave the free tasty bites, though, because too many cats have the run of the place and Chuck was afraid the cats would go for the bread. But, I've got other things up there for sale and when the store has its new building, the gift shop area will be closed off from the feed area and putting food out for display won't be a problem.

Here's a tip for leftover bread.....If you ever have bread that gets hard or baked too long just crumble it or chunk it up, lay it out in a 9 x 13 baking pan/dish, make a mixture of milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cream cheese, raisins, (I can get the exacts for ya' later) Pour the mixture over the bread, liberally sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the top and bake it for about 45 minutes......YUMMY bread pudding!!

I've been testing out the dehydrating of my starter. I'm foolin' around with it to see if it reconstitutes in equal proportions or if the dehydrated starter is now concentrated and can make more than one, etc....When I have all the kinks worked out, I'll start sending it that way.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  2:03:16 PM  Show Profile
Catherine,

I received my starter on Friday when I got home from work! Thank you so much!! It shipped just fine. I fed it and it is bubbling just great. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I'll be sending a little something your way just as a thank you.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  3:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Next 3 starters being sent 2 day express mail on Thursday....

Joanne
LisaBee / Lisa
Shepherdess56 / Robin

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Good news....I've got enough to send 4 starters, so, WhisperingPines / Patricia, yours will be mailed, too. I've got your address from the mail art list.

The next groups to be shipped are: Please email your address to me!

shipping by 2nd of March
NicoleG / Nicole
SmallTownGirl / Rose
therusticcottage / Kay
Luzy / Luanne

shipping by 9th of March
Rustypins / Paula
dgarnera / Debra
Libbie / Anne
dkgold / Diane

Blessings!
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  4:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cyndi / MullersLaneFarm.....I went back a couple of pages and re-read your post about the 159 year old starter. That is amazing! I checked out the site you listed and got some great information. Is there a homepage for Carl Griffith's starter? Is it possible to get some?

Plus, I need more of your advice on drying it. Even though mine is a potatoe starter, do you think the drying and rehydrating are the same? I've been drying mine in a dehydrater....it's drying fine....I just haven't determined how much is needed to make a new 1 cup.....Is one cup dried starter needed to be added to one cup water for rehydration? How long will the dried starter last? After staying in an airtight container could it still be rehydrated after 1 year?

Before I start sending it out in dried form I just want to make sure I tell the recipient how to rehydrate it properly and etc.... Thanks for your help!!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  06:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals......Joanne, Lisa, Robin, Patricia.....did the starters arrive safely?

The next batch is ready for Wed. shipping.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  07:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Catherine - I am so excited, I can hardly wait!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  11:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Catherine: I got my starter!!! It came all safe and sound. I fed it immediately and today I fed it again so I can give my neighbor some. We are all SOOOOO excited! I plan on mixing it up tonight and go through the process for the two day recipe. I can't thank you enough, and I know my friends will appreciate it, too. I will let you know how my first batch of rolls turn out. Lisa

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  2:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Any chance of obtaining some of your wonderful starter still? I think you are so generous to share this special thing. HollyDee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  4:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was wondering too if you are still sending it out :) I used to hate sourdough when I was younger- but now I love it! If you wouldn't mind sharing some with me I would be very grateful!
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Catherine-
What a kindhearted generous farmgirl you are!
I would love to try some of your sourdough starter if you are still passing it on.. I am sure the demand has been overwhelming!
Please let me know what I might give you in trade or if I can send your postage payment etc. in return.
If you are swamped or simply have reached your limit, I completely understand..not to worry!
Thank you for considering and also for your sweet welcome reply on the welcome wagon to my post.
Best,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  6:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Holly, Alyssa and Karen....you're on the list!! This list will never close....always some to share. I think maybe now I'll make a goal of getting some of the starter in every state!!

I'm still fooling around with the drying method.....just making sure it gets good and strong after it is rehydrated. When I feel comfortable with the dried starter, I'll have even more to send and packages won't bust open from the fermentation during shipping!!

Y'all are all so welcome for the starter. It has been a joy to feed it and nurture it for a new 'momma'. Y'all are the greatest!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  7:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much,it arrived just today. I will feed it tomarrow, need some potatoes. I may have missed this in the past, but I will ask anyway. Can you put this in a bread machine?
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  8:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Making some sourdough bagels tomorrow. Starter on the counter bubbling and smelling good!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  8:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Catherine-
You are a gem!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for including me...
I can't wait!!
Much love & big hugs being sent your way-
~Karen
Go to Top of Page

dgarnera
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Debra
Pine Grove CA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  08:20:29 AM  Show Profile
I am looking forward to the starter. I need to get back into baking and teach my daughter a thing or 2 before I go in to have the baby in a couple of months.
thanks a bunch.
debra

Joyful momma of 5 plus 1 in the oven..
Go to Top of Page

farmfilly
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Jackie
Gilmer Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  12:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Catherine - I've been reading the rave reviews about your starter and your incredible generousity in sharing it.
You say it is a potato/water starter? Would this be instant potatoes or cooked potatoes?
Just curious, about 20 yrs ago I had a similar sounding starter fed with sugar and instant potatoes. It made the most fabulous bread. I only used white flour with it back then and am curious about using other grains and whole grain wheat with your starter. What have you or others tried? Can you use it in a bread machine or does it react with the pan during proofing?
I'm not ready to request some of my own yet, but will later when we settle in the new place.

Life is good!
Jackie

Life happens, I'm just glad to participate!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  6:31:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey there, Jackie

Yep, you can add instant potatoes or potatoe water or small bits of cooked potatoe. I love the white flour bread.....so soft, so tender, so yummy....But, since we try to eat all whole grains, I haven't made plain white bread in about 15 years...lovely memories, though.

The schedule on feeding is every 3 to 5 days if kept out on the counter and up to 2 weeks if kept in the fridge. The feeding is 1 cup warm water, 1 cup sugar and 3 T instant potatoes.

Just let me know when you decide you want some!!

Blessings
Catherine

oh, P.S.

3 starters were mailed today (2 day shipping) to:
Nicole, Kay and Luanne
Keep your eyes peeled!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  6:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
so is potato starter different than the regular kind? Does it taste different?

Edited by - Alee on Mar 01 2006 9:13:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmfilly
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Jackie
Gilmer Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  7:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, I meant to mention earlier, that I got my starter from a woman I worked with, she had moved up here from St Charles, LA. She got it from a friend there.
Could I have been using some of the same starter as your family? What a hoot if it were. Of course, I didn't keep it going like you have.

Jackie

Life happens, I'm just glad to participate!
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  06:47:06 AM  Show Profile
Starter in every state!! Wouldn't that be something!!! We all have a bit of history to share with our starter!!!! I LOVE that!! Catherine...your just such a soft soul for doing this for us!! Gosh..I can almost smell that bread bakin' already!!!! I told my family about that starter comin....hubby was pleased as punch cuz sourbread is his fav....and the kids turned up their noses and swore they wouldn't eat anything that old!!LOL Ofcoure things changed after I explained everything to them!!
Thanks again darlin'!!
Sweet Blessins',
Paula ;o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, you or your family have kept this starter alive and going for over 35yrs and here I am trying to kill it off!! Twice now I've spilled it! The first time was in the car while taking it to my Mom's house. Turned the first corner on the block and there it went all over my car seat, I luckily had about a 1/4c. left and got it going again from that. Two days ago I spilled most of it in my refrigerator!! Again, I had about a 1/2c left and have kept it going. I think I'm gonna start making it by the gallons so when I spill it again I'll have enough left to make a loaf of bread!!! Oh by the way, there is still a pile of potato flakes on the floor of my car because it's been too cold to go out and vacuum it. My car did smell yummy for quite awhile after that...the bread is still turning out great though, I think I gained weight...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 35 year old Sourdough Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page