JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  01:52:36 AM  Show Profile
On the hunt for a cabbage roll recipee??? anyone?Thanks Jo.

love is all you need

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  06:15:35 AM  Show Profile
My family recipe is plain cabbage rolls. Mix some sauted onions in with the rice, salt and pepper and roll in cabbage leaves. Dh's family recipe is different, probably more what you are looking for. I've made them lots and are good.

Cabbage Rolls

Large head of cabbage
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked regular or processed white rice
1 small onion, grated
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1 large onion, sliced
2 - 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 - 13 oz. (7 cups) canned tomatoes
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar, packed

Remove 12 large leaves from cabbage. Trim off thick part of each leaf. Let boiling water stand on leaves a few minutes so they become easy to roll.

Combine meat, rice, grated onion, eggs, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper. Place mound of meat mixture in cup part of each leaf. Loosely fold over sides of each leaf; roll up.

Start heating oven to 375°F. In bottom of Dutch oven, place a few of remaining cabbage leaves. Arrange layers of stuffed cabbage, with seam sides down and sliced onion in Dutch oven. Mix tomato sauce, tomatoes, lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and pour over all. Sprinkle with brown sugar to taste.

Bake, covered, 1 hour; uncover; bake 2 hours.
Makes 8 servings.

Keep a place apart, within your heart, for little dreams to go!
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  07:38:58 AM  Show Profile

Here is a cheater recipe. I got this from allrecipes.com. I've made this several times and it's really great. I put cheese on the top during the end of baking.

Cabbage Roll Casserole
Submitted by: Nancy
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 490 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 40 Minutes
Yields: 12 servings
"This casserole combines chopped cabbage with ground beef, tomato sauce, and rice. Preparation is much simpler than for standard stuffed cabbage rolls."
INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage

1 cup uncooked white rice
1 teaspoon salt
2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium high heat until redness is gone. Drain off fat.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, tomato sauce, cabbage, rice and salt. Add meat and mix all together. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour broth over meat mixture and bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 1 hour. Stir, replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  09:11:42 AM  Show Profile
This is a family recipe I grew up eating all the time. I'll have to ask my Grandmom for the recipe. I now make a vegatarian version and gave up trying to stuff the cabbage and instead just throw it all in one pot. Lazy way.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Here's a hint...after years of owie fingers from steaming off cabbage leaves, I now just pop a couple of my largest cabbages into the freezer in the fall. When it comes time to make cabbage rolls, just bring them out and thaw them and the leaves just peel right off. Works great and once cooked, you'd never know they'd been frozen.

I mix half ground beef with half ground pork (both lean). Personally I think it gives it just a little nicer flavor. I then put in the uncooked rice (the amount can vary according to taste...if you like meatier rolls, add less rice), garlic of course, chopped onion and just enough tomato juice to make it easy to work with. Roll them up and place in a casserole dish. Cover with tomato juice and cook slowly until done. Keeping adding tomato juice as needed so they don't dry out.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  4:53:13 PM  Show Profile
I basically live across from a Ukranian church. In the fall they had a rummage sale and they were also selling homemade cabbage rolls and perogies. I had to buy both! The cabbage rolls were to DIE for! I was in foodie esctasy as I snarfed them down! And the perogies! SO GOOD! Now I regret not stocking up!

Oh, a question about adding rice: My mom, back when she made cabbage rolls, always used cooked rice. Is that okay, or uncooked better? And what type of uncooked rice?
-Cat
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  5:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine...I used uncooked, long-grain organic white rice although I would think you could use any rice. It does absorb some moisture from the rolls, but at the same time, absorbs the flavor. I just add more tomato juice as they cook and I personally prefer the Heinz variety.
I've never tried brown rice...it would be healthier I suppose, but the cooking time is considerably longer. Anyone else ever tried brown rice??

Happy roll making!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  02:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Thankyou all sooo much i will certainly tri these! recipees. I never knew that about freezing the cabbage, good tip i will pass that one along here thanks again Jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile
well girls it is that time of yr. again for stews and hot meals getting cold here at nights. we had a frost last night. how's everyone's recipes for lazania?! (not too sure how to spell it) i make it but always interested in new ideas, my sister makes it with zucinie strips, as she, nor i, can eat flour. it worked quite well~ jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cabbage Rolls! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page