therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  11:22:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking of buying a pressure cooker. Swore I would never do this as they scare me to death! I've looked at Lehmans -- theirs is $200. I found a Presto for $90 at Target.

Would love recommendations from anyone who has one.

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile
I have had a Presto for over 15 years and love it..no problems ever!! I would say it is well worth it. Lehman's stuff is always top quality but I can't always afford it on my budget.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  11:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Kay, believe it or not, my mother taught me to cook with a pressure cooker when I was 13! She was working and my dad wanted his supper on the table minutes after he got home at 5 PM. Mom got home at 4:30 PM cause she worked too and I could get home from school by 3:30 PM - so I won the honors! I have a pressure cooker now and it is some French brand, Maitresse, I believe. I have only had one accident with a pressure cooker, and it was due to a faulty rubber ring - I wasn't using them so often at the time and "forgot" the principle of needing a good, not worn out, rubber ring to get a good seal. But no one was hurt, Thank God! I used mine just recently to make some soup from frozen chicken and it turned out just fine. My only concern now is that I have an electric stove - with gas you can instantly adjust the heat...with electric you have to keep a close eye on it. But read the instructions and you should be good to go! BTW, my mom had a Presto for YEARS and even used it after the handle fell off from so much use - it was a wedding present in 1950 and it's the one I learned to pressure cook with. Go for it, Farm Girl! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  1:44:50 PM  Show Profile
Kay...are you talking about a pressure cooker, or pressure CANNER???? I assumed canner...but after reading Judy's post now i am not sure!! I use a canner, but I have never just cooked in it. Not sure why. My grandma used one all the time. I think I have a saucepan size one around here that I can send you if you want it..I will search for it. I THINK I still have it. someone gave it to me..new, but without the box and I never have got around to using it. Let me know if you want it and I will look for it. Seems like it was about the size of a 3 or 4 qt. saucepan with handle.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  2:11:35 PM  Show Profile
I just love my pressure cooker - it's an Indian one - the brand name is Manttra - and it's SO handy. I can do artichokes in 20 minutes - no kidding! It's also great for cooking beans when it's hot outside and you don't want something simmering on the stove all day. I don't remember what I paid for it - but it's been in my service for almost eight years and is still going strong... It wasn't that expensive, either. I think, however, if I could, I'd splurge on a Presto.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  4:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals! The Presto was the one I was looking at -- it a pressure cooker/canner. I love Lehman's stuff too but can't afford most of the things on my budget. Although I am looking at their deluxe food mill. Will have to save for that one.

My mom used her pressure cooker all the time for roasts, beans, and anything else she could cook in there. I know that the new ones are much safer. I'll just have to conquer my fear!

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  11:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Kay, I have a brand new one I have never used that I would like to sell... interested?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  6:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Diane -- email me and let me know how much you would want.

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  11:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I emailed you! Hope you get it.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile
The year I was a student in Spain the lady I stayed with cooked with her pressure cooker EVERY day. Lots of stews made from dried garbanzo beans, for example. She would start lunch in the morning and go to work in her store two floors down, running upstairs every now and then to check, and by lunchtime at 2:00 it would always be ready. It was maybe 3-4 quart size. The advantage is she could leave the stove on really low, the pressure cooks and tenderizes the food much more efficiently than other types of cooking fuel. (Fuel was high-priced in Europe then) I was inspired by her and bought one early on in my cooking career and used it a lot. My 19-year-old daughter has the bottom of it now, I was afraid to give her the top and the pressure gauges... It was a Mirro, I think. The new ones are very safe but if the pressure relief valve blows because the steam valve gets stuck (like with applesauce or something) your ceiling will need repainting. Ask me how I know.....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  12:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Kay..........

Did you get my email???
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  11:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Diane -- I did and email you back yesterday. Check your junk email box. Maybe it went in there.

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
KAY RUSTIC COTTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

NoPE. I didn't get it Kay. Some how the Mary Janes Connection never connects with me.
Email me direct at monkeysocks@excite.com

I will watch this weekend.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Cookers - Advice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page