junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Catherine, I'm SO sad!! I got my starter today, but it must of exploded in the box, cuz it's all gone, all over everything!!! I feel so bad, being so old ( the starter that is) and you paying a good penny for shipping! One idea, when you send others out, try putting it in a big ziplock bag, maybe double them. The container must of gotten warm enough to pop the lid! I just hate to think that old starter is gone, wasted......:(

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Laura....so glad it arrived, even if shaken up a bit.

Shirley....please email your address to me....it seems I must have misplaced it or overlooked it. You will be in the next batch.

Jan....glad you got it. Bake on girl!!

Sue.... oh I am so sorry. Don't feel bad. That's what's so great about the starter...I just feed it and make more! Thanks for the idea on double bagging. I've tried different things short of packing it in ice or overnighting it. I will try again. I'll get out to the mail on Saturday and 2-3 day ship it again.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  11:37:04 AM  Show Profile
Your so sweet, but I don't want to put you out again or add to the waiting list, if you can't that's fine and if you did, well, I insist on sending you the postage back at least!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile
3 batches of sourdough starter are being shipped 2 day priority through the post office. They are going to:
Junebug
Shirley
Mollymae

My starter has been fed and the babies will be ready next week for the next shipment.

I'm still trying to make the containers hold up during shipment. The starter has been exploding the tops of some of the containers. I've been putting the container in a baggie in hopes of keeping it from leaking too bad. On this shipment, I'm putting the starter in a freezer baggie and then bagging it again. Squeezing as much air out as possible.....hopefully to leave room for expansion.

Y'all let me know how they arrrive. Thanks!!

Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:10:32 AM  Show Profile
Bless your little farmgirl heart!! So sweet of you!!

Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I would like to be added to this list and I will carry on the tradition with my new neighbors here. My next door neighbor makes the most awesome sourdough bread and I would love to share this with her.

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  12:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, have you ever tried to dry/flake the starter? I read (somewhere?!?!) about saving starter by drying it , then rehydrating it. Worth a try and certainly cheaper to mail...I think I read it on the internet a few years back...Helpful, huh?
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  5:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Sharon...what a good idea. I dehydrate lots of stuff, I should've thought of that. I'll give it a try and then rehydrate it to see if it comes out strong. I wonder if the drying would kill of the yeasts and such? Wow, if this works it will revolutionize my kitchen!! I'll also visit that site on dehydrating that MJ refers to in her book and see what they say. Thanks!

Lisa....you got it girl! You'll be in next week's batch.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  08:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Well, made my first bread with your starter yesterday. It turned out great! I've made lots of bread before, but never used a starter. It worked really well. When I walk into my kitchen from outside, I can really smell the starter, it smells wonderful. The cats were interested too and had to check it out (when they're not hanging from the curtains). Thanks again for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  11:39:28 AM  Show Profile
I saw where they dry the starter on TV a while back, in Alaska.
They just spread some out on a waxed paper and let it dry, then reconstitute it with water.
Dont know if it works, but ya could try it and see.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  12:23:30 PM  Show Profile
Catherine,
I got the starter in tip top shape, now to make bread
Thanks so much for doing all this.
Postage is flying your way.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  12:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Jan, I'm so glad you're enjoying yummy bread. That's funny about the cats...I wonder if they would get "drunk" from drinking it? They'd either climb the curtains more or fall asleep!
When I feed my starter and it lets off that pungent smell, my kids think that bread's ready....I usually have to make the faster yeasted bread rather than the two day rise method....no one can wait!

Shirley, I have begun the experiment. If this works, I think I will become the sourdough dehydrating queen!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  12:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Your already the sourdough queen so why not!! I think you probably have the oldest starter in history?

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  1:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Sue, you're sweet. I'm just a queen in my own mind and dreams, I'm awakened to reality often.

I would like to think that there's a starter out there that has made the journey across America with the pioneers. I'd love to have some if it does exist. I wonder if maybe those pioneering women dried theirs like it's been suggested for me to try. I've never read anywhere about that but it seems logical....they dried beef and veggies, why not sourdough?

By the way, Sue, did your starter arrive better than the first one did?

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile
No, not yet, I just checked the mail for today too thinking it should be here today? I hope it didn't explode all over the mailroom, wouldn't that be a sight! Me too, thinking there could be a starter out there that came across with the pioneer ladies, wouldn't that be something, I'm bragging now about a 35 yr. old starter!

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  08:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Making bread again today! My guy came into town the other day and I gave him some of the first bread, he said it was the best bread he's ever had. I had him come and look at my starter last night, I told him it was like a spiritual experience! An update on the cats: one cat doesn't care much for the finished product, but the other cat HAS to have her share of bread when I'm eating mine. I let the bread rise in my sewing room on the floor by the heater (the warmest room in the house) and found the next morning that the cats had pulled the towel off the bowl and the top had dried out, it turned out fine anyway. There were suspicious kitty marks on the top of it too! Now they're banished from the sewing room when bread is rising, but they can smell it and still try their hardest to get in. Crazy animals!!!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  12:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, it finally made it, and in pretty good shape too, did lose some but I think most of it is still in the bag! A big thanks and keep a eye on the mailbox next week!! Many thanks, can't wait to bake bread now!!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  2:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Sue, so glad it arrived. Perhaps the mail handlers between you and me are pretty rough since this is the second time it arrives all "shaken" up. Please, don't hesitate to let me know if it dies and you need another one.

Jan, I'm in the library right now using their computers while my daughters volunteer. I chuckled as quietly as I could when reading about your cats. Oh, so happy the bread has turned out good.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  04:30:29 AM  Show Profile
I made my first batch of bread last night with Catherines starter, didn't have any wheat flour so I used all purpose and it came out just fine, so yummy!! Well worth the wait and thanks so much for sharing this treasure with us!!
P.S. Catherine, I need your addy, in the excitement, I didn't keep your addy, the box got tore open cuz it was damp. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  06:39:34 AM  Show Profile
I am making more today....My kids get so excited when they come home from school to fresh bread. It is so worth it just to see their faces!! I havn't made the
"wait two days" kind yet...I guess I am too impatient..but I sure love the hurry up recipe!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  04:37:14 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I know what you mean...I make the quicker bread, too. When it gets warmer, do try the two day rise without added yeast. The texture is wonderful and the sourdough has an even fuller flavor.

I've got bread rising right now....I'm hoping to have it done by the time my girls wake up. The aroma is often a better waker upper than an alarm clock!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  09:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Am I too late, Catherine? I would love some sourdough starter (especially one that's older than I am!)
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Alright Nicole....enough with the young jokes....you little whipper-snapper, you!

Yes, of course you can receive one. I can only get a few out a week because of the feeding process. I'll email you when your date is coming up.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  09:30:37 AM  Show Profile
What fun you gals are having making bread. I found this site when I was looking for how to dehydrate mine. At the end it talks about dehydrating it into flakes and then reconstituting it. Also she will send you some of her 35 year old starter too. I think I am going to try this, let me know if any of you gals have had good experiences doing this. Rose

http://home.teleport.com/~packham/sourdo.htm
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  09:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Rose,

Thanks for the info!!! I checked out the site. I'll be contacting them for some of theirs because it's a different base than mine. Mine--potatoe starter Theirs---flour starter. Oh, this is so great!!

Blessings
Catherine

Sourdough being shipped on Wed. to:

Horseyrider (Mary Ann)
Joanne (I don't know her user name but she emailed me)
NicoleG

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 35 year old Sourdough Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page