Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  09:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Mine is bubbling away this morning...hooray I am so glad! It lives!!!! I can't wait to use some!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Sourdough bread tonight for dinner! Looking forward to indulging!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  4:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine,

I sent you an email. If it's not too late, I'd like to get some of your starter. What an amazing thing - to still have it after 35 years! I'd like to be able to pass it on to my daughters with your story. Thanks.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  8:16:08 PM  Show Profile
We had sourdough bread with our supper tonight..it turned out just great! I used the recipe for "can't wait two days" bread. I fed my starter and hope to make something else..maybe rolls, maybe pancakes in the next couple days..it is bubbling even more this time and I love the smell! I made supper for a family who was moving tonight too, so another family got to enjoy a loaf of the bread...I have one thick slice left ...hmmmmmm sounds like a perfect breakfast tomorrow for THIS farmgirl. Thanks so much for getting me started Catherine!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  8:38:22 PM  Show Profile
My day got away from me yesterday so instead of bread I made soughdough biscuits, Yum ! WIll have a house full this weekend so bread will be made and maybe pancakes! Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  11:33:54 PM  Show Profile
YUM your all making my mouth water.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  06:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, you're in!

Jenny, I could smell the aroma. I'm so pleased y'all enjoyed the bread. In your email to me, you commented that the instructions were easy to follow. Being a former teacher, I seem to explain things like I'm talking to a class. So glad you didn't think I was hokey....or did you? ha ha

We've been eating more bread than usual, so the starters' departure to y'all will be a few days later than expected.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  09:06:34 AM  Show Profile
no..not hokey at all..just very clear..and I need that!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bluemoon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rose
Warrington PA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  6:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine! is it too late to be added to your list? I will e-mail you my address
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  06:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rose, It's never too late. I'll email you when your shipping date is near.

The next 3 batches are being sent out tomorrow.

Happy eating!
Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  7:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, The starter arrived today. Some spilled into the ziplock, so it was ok. I just poured it back into the rest. So do you never add/feed flour to the starter? I was surprized because my last starter (which never recovered from our evacuation during the big fire) you would feed equal water and flour to what you took out. I am anxious to try this. It smells wonderful!!!! I'll have to dig out my sourdough-chocolate chip cookie recipe for you.
thanks again,
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny! You are too sweet! My precious "pin pillow" arrived on the 7th. I remember reading about them on the thread about "what everyone's working on". When I was reading about them I thought to myself, "Oh, I hope I get on some kind of swap with her and receive her pin pillow" WOW!!!! I got one! Believe it or not, the house you embroidered looks much like our home. My daughter, Kristin, loves it. It inspired her to start embroidering again. She's been stitching away all morning! Thank you for the kind gift.

My husband does not want to be left out on any new recipes with the sourdough, so, keep on sharing your thoughts!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  10:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Hello Catherine I would love to be able to recieve some of your starter. :)It sounds wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Patricia,
Your batch is on the list for the end of January. I'll email when the shipping date gets closer.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  06:26:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals, I'm going to visit my mom for a couple of days. The starter is still getting bubbly and I'll notify y'all when I get back.

Blessings!
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile
Have a safe trip and a good time!! Can't wait to get my starter, I can smell sourdough pizza coming soon! Thanks again and enjoy your time away!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  06:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Y'all!!

Sourdough starters being sent today with 2-3 day shipping to:

Owwlady
Junebug
Countrygirl85

Let me know when you get them.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile
You bet I will! I can't wait, your such a doll for sharing with us! Thanks again!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, the bread did great on it's overnight rise, but pooped out on the second rise. Oh well, I'll try again this week. The sourdough-chocolate chip cookies were a success!!! Yum yum...
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  9:23:23 PM  Show Profile
I just took two more loaves of sourdough bread out of my oven. I thought my kids would be getting tired of it by now..but no way..they would eat it all day long. I made these two loaves for breakfast tomorrow and snacks after school...
Wonderful stuff!! And I get to go to bed with my house smelling like heaven must smell!!

Jenny in Utah
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  08:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Sleepless, haven't tried the cookies yet but their on the list. I think chocolate anything is great....couple it with sourdough and it must be divine! I, too, had a nice time chatting with you on the phone.

Jenny, any sourdough I make for "tomorrow" never makes it. I'm curious, are you using whole grains? I guess I feel like it's okay to eat as much bread as we do because I use whole wheat, oats and flax with a little white flour thrown in for softness.

We were vegetarians for 8 years (my girls had never had meat until Nicole turned 9....whole 'nuther story....we had to stop being veg. for health reasons...go figure!)
Anyway, one thing I still do today that I learned back then is to prepare smaller meals. In that I mean that I don't fix 7 different things to eat at one meal. Growing up there would be a meat, 3 or 4 vegetables, a bread, a salad, a dessert, etc.... I've tried to study Biblical eating habits and have found bread to be a foundation to many cultural fares. Anyway, I love bread.....flat, round, risen, day old,....it's all yummy!

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  09:51:03 AM  Show Profile
I use about 1/2 fresh ground whole wheat flour and 1/2 unbleached all purpose. Then I throw in a cup of cornmeal and a cup of rolled oats and sometimes sesame seeds..whatever I have on hand..but I always have the cornmeal and the oats.
Bread is my downfall..let me tell ya!!

Jenny in Utah
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  8:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Catherine!
I got my starter in the mail today! It leaked a little, but I think it's ok! I wonder what the mailman thought of the slightly soggy, smelly (good smelly!) package?! Thank you so much for it. It really does mean so much to me to be a part of this! I can't wait to try the recipes. I don't have much bread-making experience but I'm sure that'll change! I, too, love bread! Low-carb is not in my vocabulary! Thanks so much again for this! I'll tell you how my first loaves turn out!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine,
Am I still on the list for starter, Gosh Im pretty sure I emailed ya, but maybe it didnt get there. :(
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  08:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine, I was so excited when I went to the mailbox yesterday and saw a box. Yea! I got your starter and I'm going to get everything going today. Thanks so much. I'll let you know how my first bread turns out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 35 year old Sourdough Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page