cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  05:50:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals!
I have a family starter that was given to me in 1990 by my cousin. She received it back in 1970. I'm sure it dates back from then but not sure how long. It's a potatoe (yes, I spell it with an "e" ) water starter. Anyway, I'd love to share it with you. Since it's cold now, this would be a good time to ship it so the container won't bust from fermentation. I can probably send out two or three 1 cup starters each week. If the list gets long I'll let everyone know where they are on the list. I'll send the how to's and recipes with the starter. No cost. Just want to spread the love.

Let me know and we'll hook up.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  06:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I would LOVE some!!!! How so very nice of you!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  4:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Julia....it'll be coming!

Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  4:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Wow..that would be so fun...please if you can I would love to be included!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  4:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Of course, Aunt Jenny! I am honored to have my first two adoptees. I am feeding it today, so, I'll be able to send it out on Monday.

I'm so excited! This feels great to share something so dear to me. My goal has always been to keep it alive so I can hand it down to my girls when they get married. Won't that be something that my grandchildren and great grands could be eating bread and other goodies made with this well cared for starter and brag about it being 50 and 70 years old.

In fact, this would make a good "You know you're a farmgirl when....you're complemented on how good your bread is and you give credit to the 35 year old starter and your guests get bug eyed and almost want to spit! (they just don't understand!)

Blessings!
Catherine
cajungal

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  9:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Ooo! count me in please. I think it would be fun to have a starter that old. It will be so good. My girls get a little freaked out about the idea of "feeding" something that is alive. I will e you my address. Thanks!! Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile
I too would love to be included. I would be great to have a starter with history. I will email you with my address.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  08:14:33 AM  Show Profile
I would love to share in your starter. Thank you. I'll email you with my info.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  09:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Please add me to the list too! I'll send you my info. Imagine Potato(e) Sourdough with a pedigree! I'll email my info.
thanks! Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  12:34:05 PM  Show Profile
You've probably got too many now, but please put me down when you have more to share. Such a cool idea, I love sourdough and need to make a starter again soon. We usally have sourdough pancakes for breakfast on Christmas, but not this year, no starter, so thanks for reminding me that I need to get busy!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Count me in!!! Address coming your way :)

Molly
http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  8:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I'd also love some when you've got more! Sending my address! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  11:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Catherine:

My hubby was reading over my shoulder as he walked by, saw your title, and said "That sounds like a personal problem to me..." he thought you had thirty five year old BREAD at your house!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  04:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh Diane, that's funny!!!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

TGICorie
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Corie
Worcester MA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  06:39:19 AM  Show Profile
I would love a sample of your heritage.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  11:27:43 AM  Show Profile
WOW! Look at all the new homes my starter will have! Ladies, I'll be emailing you with shipping dates. It looks like everyone so far will receive their starter before the new year.

I'll be sending a few pages of history and instructions. I may not have explained everything very well, so, please contact me with any questions.

Blessings!
Catherine

Diane, that is hilarious! Do you think he'd eat bread from a 35 yr old starter?

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  1:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
The man will eat ANYTHING............
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  3:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Diane, my hubby, too. There really is something to the "iron stomach".

Ladies, the first batch of starter is being sent!

Blessings!
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2005 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Cathrine ! Got my starter on Friday. It is bubbling away on my counter! Thanks so much for sharing it with me. Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  07:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Hi Catherine...sent you an email - please let me know if you don't get it! Thank you!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  05:08:38 AM  Show Profile
I kind of feel silly asking to be added to the list, as the one you have is extensive; but I love good sourdough bread, and would love to have a chance to work with a reliable old starter. And having one with a good history and story behind it is a grand bonus! If I need to wait awhile for more to be ready, that's okay; I've waited a long time as it is. I'd be happy to reimburse you for any shipping and handling costs. Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  05:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Mary Ann!
Don't feel silly at all! There is more than enough to share. With Christmas activities I got a little behind (well, actually I wish I LITERALLY got a little behind) Your batch should be ready to send around the 9th of Jan. I'll keep you posted.

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  05:31:38 AM  Show Profile
The packaging on Julia's (BlueApple) starter didn't hold up during its shipment. Oh I just feel so awful. I'll be sending you, Julia, another batch.

Julia (Reedsport) I'm glad your starter made it. Perhaps you had a gentler postman. Tell me all about your breads when you make them. YUMMY!

The next batch on the list is being sent this week.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  07:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Woohoo!!! Thanks, Catherine; I'm so excited!

Don't forget your return address on the outside, so I can reimburse you for shipping!

And thanks again; you've made my day!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile
My starter arrived today..and I think it is fine. It had leaked a little and the smell was wonderful..but there was enough left that I think it will be fine. I fed it and have it sitting out on the counter as directed. I can hardly wait to make bread. Thanks so so much Catherine!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  04:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Oh Catherine! Please don't feel awful!!!!! I'm sure the package took a beating with all the holiday packages being shipped and delivered! Thank you so much for doing this!!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 35 year old Sourdough Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page