cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  06:13:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lorice! Welcome!
So glad this post was revived...I needed the laughter to start my day....y'all are a hoot and best of all, ALWAYS full of great information. Just so happens this is my shaving day....think I'll get "sugared"

Blessings
Catherine
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile
I did it! I FINALLY dared to do this, and......it WORKED! I had to wait until husband and babe were asleep before I tried, in case I chickened out and ended up running around with sugary-wax all over, but now, I am a convert. Not TOO painful, and the results? In my humble opinion, lovely.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  1:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
i am definitely going to have to try this! i hate shaving!!

Life's messy!... Grab an apron!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Who would have thought my humble little find would have come this far! I originally wrote this post, and I have not shaved my legs since. I haven't waxed or sugared them either . . . but then I rarely actually sucumb to this strange custom anyway. Drat those 50's mothers! :)

Seriously, t his is the way to go. The skin is silky and feels really clean.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
JOY

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  10:40:30 AM  Show Profile
I missed this thread initally~~Good info but I'm not sure if I am ready to rip out the hair vs shaving..
Very funny stuff tho~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  10:54:39 PM  Show Profile
I wanna try this. If it doesn't work out I can just make candy or a cake glaze out of it!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  05:30:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh! You are so funny! Hmmm...maybe I can use the extra...No, I just can't think about it. I guess I'll just keep "waxing" my legs when the mood strikes me and leave the rest of you to come up with ways to use the candy if you chicken out. I can't believe this topic has gone on to three pages!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  10:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I just now saw this, and the funny thing is that this morning as I was taking my shower and shaving...and cutting the heck out of the back of my knee.....I was wondering if there was a "natural" way to wax that I could make at home!

Awesome!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile
I tried this and I am so disappointed. I could not get it to work. Maybe I was doing something wrong.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  11:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message

T = tb = tbsp = tablespoon
t = ts = tsp = teaspoon

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 23 2006 11:58:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile
I still laugh when I remember the day I waxed my eyebrows and some wax dribbled and I ended up with about three hairs on one side. I laughed so hard my roommate came into the bathroom to see what was going on and when he saw me he laughed so hard he almost couldn't breathe. But this is a hairy gay guy who shaved his entire body daily. Gosh, we had some good times.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  10:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Melissa,
What did you do? What didn't work? I have used this successfully every time since I originally posted this idea. In fact I even gave all my packages of new razors to our local shelter I love it so much!
If you'll write particulars about how/why you were disappointed, I'll try to trouble shoot if you want.
I don't check my email in the summer more than once or twice a week, so it may take a few days to get back to you.
Have fun!
Joy

Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  12:12:22 PM  Show Profile

Thanks Joy. I think that maybe I didn't boil it long enough. I was in a pinch for time, but my legs needed it bad, I don't keep up with them. I am going to try it again real soon, and if it doesn't work, I will get back with you. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  12:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Still having success... I'll have to try it again some time then.. I just gave it the one try and never did it again.. Does it make a difference if you use raw sugar as opposed to the white processed kind?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  1:46:21 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so I tried it again, and still no luck. This time, I must have boiled it too long, or maybe I had the heat to high on the stove. I followed it to a T, let it boil 9 minutes, had to let it coll almost 45 minutes, and by that time, the temp was bearable, but it was almost like hard candy. I don't have a candy thermometer, I guess I am going to have to guess. When you cook this, what do you have your stove on? I had mine a little less than med-high. Should I go with medium, or even low? One plus to this is that I could tell almost immediately that this batch was different than the first, so I am on the right track. I am a great cook, but have never tried candy, and I think this is very similar probably. Learning new things everyday!
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  06:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I bought a candy thermometer, tried again, and finally got it to work. It disn't get every little hair, and it hurt worse than expected, but it does leave your legs smooth.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  8:53:04 PM  Show Profile
I just had to bring this topic back up because this weekend, I am "celebrating" the final waxing of the year!!!! YAY!!! This may be a little too much information, but I let myself have a little more "natural insulation" during the winter...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  12:14:49 PM  Show Profile
OK...I just found this topic, also...
My question is: How do you keep from getting ingrown hairs?
I tried sugaring my legs...tried the armpits, but it didn't do diddly... and I really liked how smooth my legs were, but the ingrown hairs afterward were so annoying...
Any ideas on keeping them at bay?
I am definately going to try this, since I HATE shaving but LOVE smooth legs.
Thanks, Joy!
I'll post the results.
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  2:57:03 PM  Show Profile
I use an epilator. It plucks the hairs from your legs. I know, I know. Sounds painful and it does kind of sting the first couple of times but now I don't even feel it. And the best thing is, I only have to use it about once a month. And the hair grows back in smooth. Not little prickles. I tried waxing and it pulled my skin off along with the hair. Youch!!

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  10:43:50 PM  Show Profile
OK, I just made a batch, but haven't tried it as it is still hot...
But the batch fit perfectly in a wide-mouth half-pint jar that I saved after using the jelly that originally was inside! I'm going to have to find out where my friend bought them, they're really neat! Now I have something new for upcoming birthday packages...I'm going to package the 'wax' with a stick or two and some muslin strips. How fun.
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  01:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, I ate the whole thing and my legs are still hairy! LOL just kidding!
It worked great! I tore some strips of muslin and used them...most of them I used twice, which worked very well. They are washed and hanging to dry now.
The few stubborn stray hairs I plucked out with tweezers.

Any ideas on how long till I should do it again? I still have some hairs that were too short to wax or tweeze, but they still feel a bit prickly.

Go to Top of Page

welikepets
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Dana
Jefferson City MO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  7:17:38 PM  Show Profile
This is too much!! I have just found this site & find this sooooo funny - 4 pages....I'm gonna have to try this myself. I have never tried waxing my legs, but if it keeps the razor at bay I'm all for it!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  10:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Dana! This thread cracks me up, too, everytime I read it. I have to say that I LOVE the leg "wax," however. Faith - glad you discovered it (and glad you didn't eat it! I think it's time to whip myself up a batch, too! In the summer, I usually do it every 3-4 weeks, but in the winter? Well, let's just say FAR less (it IS the season of long pants, after all!).

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

welikepets
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Dana
Jefferson City MO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  6:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, I was in the Health Food store & saw Moom brand of this stuff - with the mulin strips and all - I purchased it & figured I could refill it with this recipe - hmmmmmm, I have to let you know how this goes!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:48:49 AM  Show Profile
I am anxious to try this. I hate shaving! Faith, you might want to make sure the jars are microwavable . . . some aren't . . . imagine that sugary stuff blowing up all over the microwave! Yipes! LOL! But if they are microwavable, what a great gift ideas . . . or even for selling at shows! Since it is sugar, is their a limited "shelf life" to this?

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Try This: Previous Topic Leg Wax Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page