faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  3:36:16 PM  Show Profile
The jar I put mine in is just a mason canning jar, but it's a wide mouth half-pint, so it's short and fat...perfect size for this. I made a single batch and it just filled the jar.
I keep my stuff in the fridge. I would think that the shelf-life would be fairly long, if there was one...I'm no food scientist, but it seems as though the lemon juice and the salt would help retard bacteria growth and since it's sugar that if it was going bad it would just mold and you'd see that it was past its prime...but I'm not positive, that's why mine's in the fridge.
This reminds me that I need to get these ready for upcoming birthdays...I may need to buy more muslin and some really cute fabric to make covers out of.

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Maybe try microwaving something in your mason jar first? The old mason jars weren't microwave proof . . . even though they tolerate high temps . . . it is the fast temp change that makes them break . . . that is why you heat them slowly in a water bath when canning. I just know if you heat them too fast, they will crack, so I would seriously try it first. Just not a lesson you want to learn the hard way.

I would think the shelf life would be fairly long too, but it would be interesting to contact some kind of "expert". I wonder if you could actually "Can" them so they would be hermatically sealed? Or would the sugar cook too much? Sorry, I am overthinking . . . it is just that now I am pondering making them for gifts. Anyone else with an expertise, please jump in.

Faith, I think it is a sweet idea . . . not trying to deter you . . . just trying to think through all the angles. Have a great day!!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  1:09:00 PM  Show Profile
No problem, Brenda! ; }

If you did 'can' this, I wouldn't process them in boiling water, I'd just put the hot 'syrup' into hot jars. Then <I think> you would avoid the risk of opening a jar of hard-candy!

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

mum2caden
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kerri
Toronto Ontario
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  07:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! This is my first post.. I have a question about this. I made it yesterday and put into a mason jar, but it has hardened up quite a bit. Not solid like hard candy, but still quite hard. I used a candy thermometer, so I know it got to 250, but I am still not sure if this is right? Granted, I have yet to actually heat it in the microwave, but I was just unsure of the texture once it cooled..
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  09:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Mine is fairly hard when cool...almost as hard as a caramel candy, I guess...
It works fine when warmed up...I zap mine for about 15 seconds and stir, then about 15 more and it's usually done.
Sounds like you're fine, especially if you used a thermometer.

Faith

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  09:06:19 AM  Show Profile
Last night I had a date with the leg wax and a sanding block (for my feet), and I really feel like I'm ready for spring (can you tell I have some SERIOUS cabin fever?!?!?!). Now, all I need is to round up the cherry-red toenail polish, and I'm set!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  10:18:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, i've not got brave enough to try this yet, but I have had a blast reading all your funny posts! This was very informative, but so hilarious. You gals are a sight!
~~Blessings, Mikki

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  06:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Well once we actually get some warm weather here I am going to try it on my legs sitting the back patio. (and then maybe it will stay warm)

beckels
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:39:40 AM  Show Profile
CHERY RED TOENAIL POLISH! Oh yes! Now I know what to do with the rest of this chilly, rainy day! Thanks, Libbie. Now where'd I put that sanding block I bought for that project I'll never get to anyway?

<wandering off, muttering things about spring and forgetfulness...>
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Fantastic! ROFL.

Last time I shave half a leg because someone flushes a toilet somewhere. Talk about looking indecisive...

So glad you revived this topic! I'm so glad...girl talk has been sorely missing in my life...this is great stuff!

I like to paint my toes red with a white diagonal stripe, like a diving flag. Not much diving out here, but it makes me giggle. Toes up!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

sam_jackson
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

sam

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  09:29:23 AM  Show Profile
hi,
I tried the lemon water sugar mixure but it turn out more like candy and is almsot black in coulor . i was just wondering if this is the way it is supose to be?

thank you sam
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  1:02:50 PM  Show Profile
This post brought back some memories for me. When I was much younger, I saw an ad on TV for some stuff that was supposed to remove hair by somewhat the same method. It sounded really convincing, and being the gullible one that I was, I ordered it. when it came, I opened the jar and there was this stuff, I don't really know how to describe it, except maybe to say it was like honey, with sand in it. I slathered it all up and down my leg and put the gauzey fabric on that they provided. OMG, what a MESS. When I finally did get it off my leg and read the jar, I found it it WAS honey. Now, I can laugh, but then.............
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  3:57:40 PM  Show Profile
I am going to give it a try. I hate shaving! Thanks for reviving this thread. I usually just check the "active topics" because I am busy.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  9:54:07 PM  Show Profile
Sam, it sounds like you over-cooked it. Mine is a pale gold color and stays pretty honey-like at room temp. Am I right to assume that yours is hard-candy when at room-temp? If you can heat it so it spreads and it's not too hot to put on your skin, you 'should' be able to use it anyway...

Faith

Go to Top of Page

sam_jackson
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

sam

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  09:20:51 AM  Show Profile
thank you i'll try that
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
How'd it turn out?
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried this on their face? I have lots of nice hair there, due to PCOS and I am TIRED off plucking it out.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Try This: Previous Topic Leg Wax Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page