Author Try This: Previous Topic Leg Wax Next Topic
Page: of 3

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  09:27:38 AM  Show Profile
I go through streaks of not shaving, shaving my legs. Yesterday I found "recipe" on-line for Leg Wax (which turns out isn't wax at all). I figured looking at the ingredients that I had nothing to lose. Boy does this stuff work!!!! I may never shave again, of course I may never "wax" again either but if I do...this is the way to go!

(This looks and feels like the stuff you pay big bucks for in the store.)
Combine 1 cup sugar, 2 T. lemon juice, and 2T water in a heavy saucepan and boil for 8-15 minutes, or until the mixture reaches 250 degrees (soft ball stage). Then pour into a heatproof container and let it cool. Store in the fridge. When you're ready to wax your legs, reheat in microwave just until warm. BE CAREFUL TO TEST A BIT FIRST, SO YOU DON'T BURN YOURSELF! Lightly powder the area you wish to wax with corn starch. Pull the skin taut and spread the wax on using a popsicle stick. Place a 3"x5" piece of cotton cloth (old cotton t's or flour sack dish towels work too.) over the area and press firmly; rub with the grain. Pull off quickly against the grain of the hair. Cloths may be reused by simply wash the cloths in hot water in the sink. I couldn't believe this worked as quickly as it did.
Peace,
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  10:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Am I the only one that gets a stomach twinge thinking about this???

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile
It's really not bad. I'd much rather wax than shave. It cuts my morning shower time and the amount of water I use drastically.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  11:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Stomach twinging here.....

The hair on my legs is light colored, thank God. I am embarrassed to admit how seldom I shave my legs!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  1:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
1 Cup sugar and only 2 teaspoons of water? Wow that is pretty amazing!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  1:35:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm lucky. I used to shave my legs regularly, but then quit altogether for awhile. The hair never grew back. I don't know why, but I haven't shaved my legs for many years now. Yippeee! By the way, I do wax my eyebrows though. Have to, wouldn't be able to see otherwise.

Edited by - owwlady on Sep 11 2005 1:36:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  2:07:15 PM  Show Profile
I think the recipe is two tablespoons of water + the two tablespoons of lemon juice to 1 cup sugar. (Big T in recipe is tablespoons) :)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  3:04:05 PM  Show Profile
I'd much rather wax than shave. The hair doesn't grow back as fast with waxing and it returns more soft. I love having my eyebrows waxed and then I don't have to pluck.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  4:43:35 PM  Show Profile
I just don't have the guts to try it. It just sounds way too painful for me. I have really sensitive skin though so maybe that's why I've always stayed away from it. My mom told me that when she was really young my grandmother took a lighter and lightly singed the hair off my moms legs. My grandmother had this done to her when she was little too. My mom's not sure it if it ruins the hair follicle or what it does but neither one of them have to shave very often. Mom says she shaves maybe once every 2 weeks or so. I don't know I'm scared to try that too.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  6:05:47 PM  Show Profile
Think I'll stick to shaving! But girls, are we really organic if we shave/wax our legs??

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Sep 11 2005 7:37:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  7:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would say shaving is Organic because it doesn't need any chemicals to do so. Just because the hair grows there doesn't mean it has to stay!! Personally I can't stand having my under-arm hair grow out because it itches so bad when it does!

I thought teaspoons were abbreviated t and tablespoons were abbreviated tbsp or tbs?

Thanks

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  10:18:56 PM  Show Profile
T or tbsp is for tablespoon but tsp is always teaspoon. Some man probably thought that up.
gosh that sounded terrible. I like men, really!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 11 2005 10:19:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  11:15:03 PM  Show Profile
That is great thanks for that recipe! Plus if it doesn't work for me I can use the rest of it to cook with (conjures up images of my husband hawking up hairballs.. eeewwwwww)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  05:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Joy,
Do you need to let the hair grow out some first? For better grip?
I may try this, I have had my brows waxed, I'm a little scared to do my underarms, but I'll try my legs!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  08:24:50 AM  Show Profile
I remember my mom trying to give me her "epilady" (coil thing that rips the hair out and hurts like H. E. double toothpicks) one time. She very calmly told me to go ahead and try it and if I wanted it I could have it, that she didn't like it much. She didn't even tell me why. I must have screamed pretty loud..that thing HURT!! So havn't tried waxing. I sure wish the hair on my legs would stop growing in...jeesh! Dark thick and grows fast. BUT..the area where I pluck my eyebrows quit growing back in years ago so I never ever need to pluck at all..heck I would gladly pluck to keep from shaving my legs!! Maybe I will get brave and try the recipe though...it is nice to try something that dosn't cost as much as the wax at the store!!
Thanks

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 14 2005 06:58:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  3:31:06 PM  Show Profile
2Tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

1 Cup sugar and only 2 teaspoons of water? Wow that is pretty amazing!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  3:35:01 PM  Show Profile
I would think letting it grow out first would be better. I'll let you know. All I know is my legs are softer even the day after than ever before. Like I said I'm not very diligent about doing it anyway. Remember to pull fast. I wouldn't say it hurts at all, rather stings like a sunburn for less than a second. I can put up with that better than the mess and time of shaving.
quote:
Originally posted by KarenP

Joy,
Do you need to let the hair grow out some first? For better grip?
I may try this, I have had my brows waxed, I'm a little scared to do my underarms, but I'll try my legs!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

Edited by - JoyIowa on Sep 12 2005 3:36:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:45:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Think I'll stick to shaving! But girls, are we really organic if we shave/wax our legs??

Well, I do like being organic but as my Grandma always says, "If the barn door needs paintin'........"

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

SDPogue
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Sara
Pullman Washington
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  11:27:54 PM  Show Profile
I used a sugar wax for years and love the fact that it washes off. I have now moved to an epilady - found one at a thrift store for $1. I like it. I can use it while watching tv and keep up with the legs. I think it hurts but less than waxing (but I have gotten used to the waxing).
Sara

See what I have been up to in my community. www.geocities.com/sdpogue
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile
I made the sugar wax, and tried using it but the problem I keep running into is that when it's smooth enough to spread it's still burning hot, and when it's cool enough that it wont burn me it wants to turn into hard candy... How long are you nuking it for? I know all mocrowaves vary but maybe a number will help.. including the time I took to make this I've used up all my kids nap time (my free time) and I still have hairy legs! Help!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  7:15:14 PM  Show Profile
I think you might be cooking it initially for too long. I don't do that in the microwave. I reheat 15 seconds at a time until it softens, then stir and apply.

OK...in response to the question Do you have to let it grow out? My personal answer after trying this three times now is "NO!" it didn't make any difference. But I love that my legs don't feel stubbly as they grow back. I may actually do this more than twice a year!

[ burning hot, and when it's cool enough that it wont burn me it wants to turn into hard candy... How long are you nuking it for? I know all mocrowaves vary but maybe a number will help.. including the time I took to make this I've used up all my kids nap time (my free time) and I still have hairy legs! Help!

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  12:19:45 AM  Show Profile
ROFL
You all are tooo funny!!
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  03:54:34 AM  Show Profile
"Glad to provide the entertainment!" Catch my next show. . .
Seriously have a great day everyone!

Go to Top of Page

reeselmt
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Lorice
Cocoa Beach Fl
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  9:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like it is worth a try. I have been "sugared" by a professional. It is much better then waxing because it cleans up with water and doesn't leave you sticky. I have been looking for a product to do it myself so thanks for the info. If you are used to being waxed, try it. The hair doesn't grow back as fast. Thanks for the info!

Life is Good!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  9:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Lorice!! Be sure to go to the welcome wagon section and introduce yourself..we are a friendly bunch!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  9:47:26 PM  Show Profile
I've been using a store-bought product for years (Nads) and love it. I still shave my legs (not that hairy, and faster to shave), but for the "bikini area" the wax/sugar is the only way to go. Only hurts if you don't keep your skin taut and grows back without turning into poking wires! I've done underarms too, but that is tricky to hold and pull at the same time. Be brave!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Try This: Previous Topic Leg Wax Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page