Page: of 9

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Amy, you will just adore the Mitford series. I read them over and over and enjoy them every time. I also just finished the new Debbie Macomber blossom street book. (A nice easy read.) I will have to try her cedar Cove series. Thanks for the recommendation!
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  09:16:36 AM  Show Profile
thanks angie!

farmgirl sister #37

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  3:49:36 PM  Show Profile
I just completed , A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. it is an old book---probabaly most of you had to read it in high school. It is well written and I throughly enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  4:57:22 PM  Show Profile
I read A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN last summer and loved it!! I am STILL reading THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH and like that too. Like most of you, there are many books going at once in my house. Right now I am still reading the bible every day as part of a year-long project. That has been so rewarding that I look forward to it every day.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  7:10:34 PM  Show Profile
I read a Tree Grows in Brooklyn within the last year too..it is a good one.
I am reading a novel called Patty Jane's HOuse of Curl right now..just started it..pretty cute.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  12:24:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm also reading Harmonic Wealth & Eat, Love and Pray.

Recovery from sons wedding & respise reading for a mom between putting in the garden. :)

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  11:47:52 AM  Show Profile
I just picked up Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver at the library. I am going to re read it, it is one of my favorites. I wish I could remember who I loaned my copy too, so I don't have to borrow it from the library everytime I want to read it.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  3:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh thats a good one Dawn!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  6:12:38 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Debbie Macomber's new book Twenty Wishes. I loved it. I am also still reading over Simple Abundance again. That is a wonderful book.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  6:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, even my husband loved that book. Have you read Animal, Vegetable , Miracle? If not, put it on your list!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:00:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shepherdgirl

I'm one of those people who has a book open face down in EVERY room of the house! I am curretnly reading "The Dogs of Bedlam Farm" by Jon Katz, about his adventures with his cazy Border collies and how they made him face the realities of HIMSELF as a person, and how he needed to change.

I just read two of his books--A Dog Year, when he gets the first border collie, and Dog Days--I think it comes after the Dogs of Bedlam Farm.
They were both great books!

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  11:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Twenty Wishes is on my list to read right now..

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:12:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cindy Lee

Dawn, even my husband loved that book. Have you read Animal, Vegetable , Miracle? If not, put it on your list!

Yes, I own a copy of that book. It is also a favorite of mine. I love Barbara Kinsolver books.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:37:16 AM  Show Profile
I have about 4 going right now!!!!

I picked up Animal Vegetable Miricle in the Spokane airport on my way home from the Farm (Sniff!!!)LOVE IT!!!!!!

Boundaries by Henry Townsend because I sooo struggle with setting them!

Soul Cravings by Erwin Mcmanus ( lifechanging!!!)

and Maryjane gave me a copy of The New Organic Grower! so good!!!!
Now just to organize my day better so i allow myself guilt free reading time!!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

jenstroh
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jenny
Indianapolis Indiana
2 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  7:05:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading The Virginians by William Makepeace Thackeray. Long live the classics!!!! They are so rich - any other lovers of classic literature out there?

Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:46:18 PM  Show Profile
I love classics!!! I havn't read The Virginians though, and will have to look for that one.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  2:39:17 PM  Show Profile
I love classics too! Reading Narnia to kids aloud. Love Little Britches series, Little Women, Lonesome Gods...and many others!

My daughters love Jane Austin!!! And every version of that genre.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading a book called "Predators, Prey, and other Kinfolk Growing up in Polygamy".
Do to the recents events in the news i have been really interested in what Polygamy was really all about.... Did anyone else get a sparked interest for this?
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  12:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Marcia-- I think the books you're reading by Jon Katz are BEFORE "The Dogs of Bedlam Farm." In my book, he has THREE Border Collies-- (can't recall all their names at the moment, but "Rose" is a 6 or 7mo old puppy) In fact, I can't even find the BOOK!!! Not sure what I did with it!

I'm reading all different books right now anyway. I just finished reading Tasha Tudors "Dollhouse" book and "The Privat World of Tasha Tudor" What a HOOT that old woman is! She's simply amazing. I'm also reading some HOW TO books that I bought off Amazon last week. I think I ordered 8 different ones. At least I won't have to borrow them from the Library anymore! (they are mostly on wool carding/spinning/weaving and soap production-- my NEXT big projects!) Wish me luck! Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

StephB
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Stephanie
Alcove Quebec
Canada
27 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  06:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see StephB's MSN Messenger address
I'm another fan of the Classics. Right now though I'm reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" Has anyone else read it?
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie - I read that years ago. I think it is time to revisit!!
I just picked up a book called Little Heathens about living on a farm in Iowa during the depression. I will report on it.
I also just read Jackalope Dreams by Mary Clearman Blew - good book about the changes taking place in Montana as more and more property is bought for "summer places"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  07:37:37 AM  Show Profile
I finished LIttle Heathens not long ago..it was good, but not what I expected I guess. I did like it though.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  09:36:39 AM  Show Profile
Just finished "SOME WILDFLOWER IN MY HEART" by Jamie Langston Turner. It was very good. Now I'm reading "SUMMER HARVEST" by Madge Swindells. Also a good book. Also reading Tom Sawyer just because I have never read it. All of these came form the thrift store. I have lots of books yet to read.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  5:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, that's kind of how I feel about Little Heathens - I'm about half done and it's interesting but not quite as engaging as I was expecting. Oh well....
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  5:40:11 PM  Show Profile
It just didn't seem like anything new or extra interesting...alot like books I have read alot of times.
I am reading Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey right now....good so far..I am about half done.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page