shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  12:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember this series published by Scholastic books back in the 80's? The books were written by 5 different female authors-- Candice F. Ransom (6 books), Willo Davis Roberts (3), Vivian Schurfranz (10), Mary Francis Shura (6), Jane Claypool Minor (6) and Jeffie Ross Gordon (2). Each book was about a girl around 16yrs old facing challenges in different eras of American history-- from 1622 Colonial Jamestown Virgina, to 1938 Hollywood. There were 32 books in all. Long out of print, but still obtainable from used book stores, Amazon.com and ebay.

There is adventure, danger and romance-- perfect entertainment for "tween" girls without all the garbage in a "grown up" romance (ie.. language, sex etc...) They are even great for ADULTS who like a good romance and not all that stuff too! I still have a copy of the very first book, "Amanda" by Candice F. Ransom (published in 1984), and have read it several times over the years. I also just recently purchased a copy of "Susannah" (same author, also published in 1984) from Amazon.com and, though it's been 25yrs since I first read it, I REALLY enjoyed it just as much now as I did back then. If I had a daughter I certainly wouldn't mind her reading those books at all.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  9:22:23 PM  Show Profile
I think I'd enjoy reading those books, too. I wrote them down on my list. If I see them anywhere, I'll pick them up.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  10:47:55 AM  Show Profile
They're pretty good Marly. They are written very much like ADULT romances, but without all the "Behind the scenes" action-- if ya know what I mean!! I have actually started collecting the series from Amazon.com and ebay. I looked in our local used book stores but there were none to be found. They have been out of print for a VERY long time I guess, but I hopw you are able to find at least ONE of them.

You know, it's funny, but I've been reading them recently (along with the "Dawn of Love" series-- same "teen" romances as the Sunfire series, but shorter books and different authors. There were only SIX books to that group) and, to me, they are just as fun to read as a "grown up" romance. Actually, I was waiting for my next Sunfire to arrive (Danielle-- 4th in the series), so I started reading an ADULT romance by one of my FAVORITE authors, Karen Robards. And let me tell ya.... boy WAS it ADULT!!! A really good story line, very well written, but boy was it.... um... how do I say this? GRAPHIC in it's "love scenes." After reading the VERY TAME Sunfires, I got a little uncomfortable reading that book! Needless to say, THAT book is put away now and I'm reading my "new" Sunfire. So, if you're into romance, but not all that other stuff, they really ARE great books!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Sunfire Romances Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page