Page: of 9

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  09:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I just finished "Mommy Tracked" by Whitney Gaskell. It was so funny the kids kept coming in to ask what I was laughing about! But it was so real and true to life too. I'm going to go look for another one of her books, they all seem to have great reviews.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9354 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9354 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  4:54:24 PM  Show Profile
At present I am reading he Cross Country Quilters and Writings to Women From Laura Ingalls Wilder...wisdom and virtue.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  5:49:40 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing all the titles of some of my favorite books!! I just finished Going Home by Wanda Brunstetter and bought "The Reader" today at a used bookstore. I am starting Persuasion by Jane Austen too. Oh...and my on going reading of Grapes of Wrath..I stop and start that one..have read it a zillion times and love it, but just read it when I am in the mood and read other books in between.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  2:30:57 PM  Show Profile
I just started another Monica Ferris book. I think it is something about a sleeve. I like her characters and need to read about them every few months.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  6:29:08 PM  Show Profile
I love those too..unraveled sleeve is I think the one you mean..good one.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  10:50:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading "The Hand Sculpted House" because my husband and I want to try to build our own handsculpted home, and I am reading "Four Season Harvest" too because I want to learn how to grow year round in my cold NY climate. If he can do it in Maine then I should be able to do it here! I love to read in the winter by the fire with the snow falling outside and a soup simmering on the stove! We've gotten two major storms in the last week and that has made lots of reading and stitching time!

Carrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading the Power of Now by Tolle, Sightings by Sam Keen (about birds), A Thousand Nights in Venice (awesome true love story), and just finished two novels my sister sent me by Joan Medlicott about a rural town in NC near Asheville. Storyline interesting but there's not enough depth in them to make me want to read more. I do enjoy reading the Jane Austen novels and adore certain of the film productions. My repeat books are the Miss Read books (about the towns of Fairacre and Thrushgreen)and the later novels of Elizabeth Goudge. I recently re-read the Jan Karon books and realized I never read the last two in the Father Tim series so time to look for those. I liked seeing the posting about the James Herriot books as my mother introduced me to them and we watched the televised programs together many years ago. I've been curious about the Elm Creek quilt books. Any suggestions on one to start with? I adore books and reading! (and visiting libraries and bookstores!)

All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  3:54:44 PM  Show Profile
I just started "Bean Blossom Dreams" by Sallyann J. Murphy..real good so far. I was ready for something light and this is a good one for that.
I have a few more books coming soon from the paperback swap thing. I am LOVING that!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  3:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Jana...I think " The Quilter's Apprentice" is the first one. There IS an order, but you can read them out of order and still enjoy them. I love them all..Sugarcamp Quilt is my favorite for sure though.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  6:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Presidential Wives ..it's great!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  7:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, Jenny. I've added them to my list - library first then local used book shop (or online secondhand books).
- Jana

[quote]Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

Jana...I think " The Quilter's Apprentice" is the first one. There IS an order, but you can read them out of order and still enjoy them. I love them all..Sugarcamp Quilt is my favorite for sure though.

All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile
I come on this site all the time for my next read and just wanted to give you all a great big THANK YOU! I have read and enjoyed so many great books that you have all mentioned! Just finished THE RED TENT....ahh!

Keep on letting us all know what we should be picking up next!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  3:51:09 PM  Show Profile
Wasn't that a good one Cindy? It was one I would never have thought to read if not recomended (and loaned ) by a farmgirl!
I am reading a series right now by Karen Harper..set in Amish country. Not as gentle as the books I generally read..these are mysteries with murder and mayhem. I am on the third one and I am a little dissapointed with one little detail (picky me) in this book. Each of the three books (Dark Harvest, Dark Road Home and Dark Angel) have a different heroine and in the first book the girl's name was Brooke. All the characters are in all the books, just the focus is on a different couple each book. In the third book they keep referring to Brooke as Brett!!! All the other character's names are correct..even Brooke/Brett's husband and children. Oh well. Good stories anyhow and real page turners. I am getting less stitching done lately cuz of reading too much. I need to find a nice boring, easy to put down book next so I can get more stitching done..haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  4:32:56 PM  Show Profile
right now .. i have my nose in primitive crafting and journaling and scrapping and jewelry making books!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  8:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Had time to read in hopsital---

The Double Bind by: Chris Bohjalian (Fiction)....He wrote Midwives and before you knew Kindness....I want to say this is about the physological effect of a rape. it was interesting, not entertaining and I am glad I read it. One does not "get it until the end and so many have suffered by this fate. I did not want to suggest something that could trigger more pain.

Coyote Dreams by Jessica Davis Stein---(Fiction) Pure romance set in the South west with art, love and wonderful description of my last home...

The power brokers by Steve Fry---good about money etc, etc,

Twelver Times Blessed by Jacquelyn Mitchard----she wrote the deep end of the ocwean and A theory of Relativity----12 times blessed is cute ---light and when you are in a brain fog I needed that.

I read other things, but I enjoyed these.

I am beginning tonight to read---Ken Follett-the pillars of the
Earth....He has already written the follow up-- so I am late. It is long and I am looking forward to reading it. Anyone have a comment about The pillars for me?
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:26:46 PM  Show Profile
I just finished "The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood".

Loved the movie, love the book!!!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:34:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to read 2 books-one is Reading Lolita in Tehran- sooo good and interesting and heartwreching because I have a friend who just emmigrated here from Iran. And Grace ,Evenually by Anne Lamott- I LOVE her writng!!! She is gonna be speaking at UCSB on Sunday!!! Can't believe I hafta work!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I finished Pillars last week and although he is a wonderful, wonderful writer, I sometimes got a little depressed. I just kept thinking "give these poor people a break!!" It really does give a lot of perspective on how life was in England hundreds of years ago. They did have it rough and some of them lived like animals (even lived WITH animals!) You will have to let us know how you like it. It may take you a while to read, it's a long story!

I am supposed to be reading A New Earth for a book club but I NEEDED something a little lighter so am reading Peace Like a River and Chosen by a Horse. Both really good!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  1:24:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen). Did anyone else have part 1 of the new movie version on your PBS station this weekend?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  3:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Kate...be sure to read "Little Altars Everywhere" if you can...more of the YaYas...the early years...it is good too. I read them both a few years ago...good books.
I finished Dark Angel. It was as good as the other two books in the series.
I do have Jane Austen's Persuasion here now..may start reading it next. Or Prince Caspian...before the movie comes out..havn't read it in years.
Peace Like a River was a good one Cindy.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  4:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Amie,
We had Sense & Sensibility (part one) on PBS this past Sunday. Love it. I hadn't read this story or seen this one before.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  10:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, I just started reading "Altars" tonight. I blazed through about half of it.

I watched Sense and Sensibility on PBS with my daugther on Sunday night. She is loving all of the PBS/Jane Austen movies. She is going to wear out my Pride and Prejudice DVD's. The Colin Firth BBC version of course.

I have the Emma Thompson version of S & S. It is funny seeing Professor Snape play Col. Brandon.

I think my next book will be Teacher Man by Frank Mc Court (He wrote Angela's Ashes and 'Tis)
I picked it up at the thrift store a while back and forgot about it.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Houston

I am beginning tonight to read---Ken Follett-the pillars of the
Earth....He has already written the follow up-- so I am late. It is long and I am looking forward to reading it. Anyone have a comment about The pillars for me?

I just finished Pillars for my book club! I loved it so much that I went to the library the other day and borrowed the "sequel" - World Without End . Pillars is incredibly well-researched and written, don't you think? I found it very difficult to put down; Follett does such a fantastic job with characterization - I really grew to hate some characters, and love and root for others. Let us know when you've finished - I'd love to discuss it with you!

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  9:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you laluna and cindy Lee for telling me about Pillars....I expect to get bogged down only because it is sooooo long .

Little Alters everhwhere and Ya Ya 2 of my favoirtes. The story line in Little alters hit home because of my alcoholic home back ground----never the less----I LOVED them
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  11:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Three Cups of Tea............

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/