Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are Gas Prices Affecting You?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic
Page: of 8

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  07:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Our gas fell to $2.15 over the weekend...Wilma shows up big and strong and gas jumped 30 cents in a day! Hmmmmmmmm.....

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey~~ Gas is finally below $2 a gal here! Saw it was $1.98~~
Can only hope it keeps going down ...of course, they will get us with the natural gas now.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  1:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Gas is down to $2.25 here - hoping for under $2 a gallon soon!

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  2:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Isn't it odd that as soon as the Govt. talks about looking into gas prices and the record profits the gas companies are making, that the gas prices suddenly drop 75 cents in under a month? Hmmmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  3:12:54 PM  Show Profile
We're holding at $2.29 ---We produce the gas down in in my state and pay through the nose----go figure---- Remember, the 2 hurricanes down here did a number on the rigs our in the Gulf, so I am grateful that we are not higher...

Don't misinterpete this----I hater paying so much -
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  3:43:44 PM  Show Profile
I got gas at the cheapest place for $2.33 today..the lowest it has been so far in awhile. My son in Calif said it is still alot higher there..ugh!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  12:44:17 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

The gas here in North Texas is now selling for $2.06 for "regular" at some of the Citgo stations.

However, I watched a program last week on Public Television that featured an economist who said that this drop in prices was very temporary and that prices will rise again!!!

Wish that I had a huge fuel storage tank on my property that I could fill up this week!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  7:37:52 PM  Show Profile
gas prices are dropping now .. passed a station today where it was actually UNDER two dollars .. well .. o.k. .. 1/10th of a cent under! but, i haven't seen a "one" on the price signs in quite awhile now.

didn't really let the high prices deter me if i had an 'adventure' to go on though.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  5:01:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!
I haven't been around here very long but it seems to me that this is a hot topic since it has 12 pages at this time. WOW!

You gals aren't just country girls...you gots some brains,too! This is quite evident in your obvious intelligence and ability to communicate about such a political topic. You Go Girls!

Down here in the Houston area I've seen gas as low as $2.16. The most I've paid during the peak was $3.03. But, even at $2.00 it hurts. It doesn't just hurt our gas budget but everything else is higher....utilities, groceries, livestock feed, hay, propane, etc.... I don't know if we'll see $1.50 again.

I've baked more bread, canned more foods, and stopped running short errands and trying to combine errand running in one trip. Last summer we did cancel a family trip due to gas prices. Two years ago we downsized my van and got a wagon type car. It gets about 36 miles to the gallon on the highway. These new hybrid cars seem interesting. I've read that they can get up to 60 mpg.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  06:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Since gas is so crazy again...

I purchased a used scooter and when I don't ride bike to work I take the scooter.
It's fun and I had about 80 miles on it when I filled up with the needle still showing between 1/4 and 1/2 tank left cost me $2.88 to fill up!
Here's my 2001 Yamaha Vino

what changes are you making?
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Karen, love the scooter, good for now. Saw that gas last night was 3.05/gal. I just don't drive anymore. Luckily my job is 5 min away. I have shopping and everything I need just down the road so I'm lucky that way, but I can't drive up north to see my guy 3 1/2hrs away. He comes down when he can use the motorcycle. That's fine for now, but doesn't help much in the winter. I feel bad for people who can't take their vacations this summer because of the traveling costs.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:07:09 AM  Show Profile
Our gas it $3 a gallon yesterday. Love the scooter! I should get one to make trips back and forth to town. That's the type of thing we're all going to have to think of doing.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE that scooter! How adorable! My husband should get one. I would get one, but I don't think a pregnant woman with 3 children would work on a scooter for some reason!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  12:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Karen, that scooter is sweet.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  1:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
We have tried to cut back on our driving. We set up carpooling for some of our childrens activities, especially the older one. However, somethings just have to be done, like go to work. DH did change jobs this last winter, and now his commute has been cut in half. He is using about $60 a week now. We have also been using the ethanol blend that is available at one station in town. I still go to town about everyother day, but that is just 6 miles round trip. I have, however, cut back on trips into the bigger city. I was going about once a week, now I am going once every two to three weeks. We do refuse to cut back on Vacation driving. We struggled for years, never able to have the extra funds for even a weekend trip away. We will, however limit hotels stays, and buckle up tighter around the house, to help out.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  1:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I wanted to add something else. I heard on the news yesterday, that they are looking into building an Ethanol plant about 30 min. from us. It is still in the planning stages. There is some big concern about the amount of water that is needed and the smell.

This is good news! Finally something is happening, to bad it is still probably years away. Has anybody else heard of any other alternative fuel plants going in?

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  05:25:45 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
You are right to be concerned about the ethanol plant.
My husband works in Stanley, Wisconsin about 30 miles away.
They have an ethanol plant, they use large amounts of water.
I know they had to add to the city's well field and another tower.
Some of the workers that come in to town straight from work really smell,
it can be worse smelling than the manure pits that the factory farms use.

The plus side is the local farmers have a market for their corn.
Another spin off of the ethanol plant is a pharmaceutical plant that used some of the waste form the ethanol plant for making some kind of drug.
So it brought a few more jobs to the area to.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Sad to say, we're honestly thinking about giving up our classic cars altogether. My husband has put a lot of time, labor, and money into them over the past 5 years, and he's about had it. I'm not ready to see them go (maybe because I don't have to do as much work to keep them) so we're thinking about putting them onto classic car insurance and driving them only occasionally. Although that would defeat the purpase, to some extent: they are at their best on long highway trips. Still thinking about it. Fact is, if heating prices stay high this coming winter, we may not be able to afford to insure more than one car for the family.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  11:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Gas is $2.83 here today..highest it has been. UGH! I need to fill up the van too (minivan, but still!) It will probably be $40. I dread that, but I guess if I don't it could be more tomorrow.
i havn't been up to Provo or anywhere more than 15 or 20 miles away in 3 months. I plan to and then end up figuring it isnt' worth it. Any savings would cost more in the price of gas and lunch out or whatever.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile
Gas is $3 here in Tucson. We are a one car family. So what are gas prices doing to us? They are helping us stay a one car family! I love being home and having an excuse not to run around all day. It's the only way I can get time to do what I love!

My daughter will be getting her license soon and probably buying her brother's old car. I'll split the gas with her because I'll use it sometimes, but at least she'll be paying insurance. Still nearly all my errands can be kept to 2 square miles.
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  1:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Amie, what kind of cars does your husband have. My husband is an old car nut himself. He always and forever working on one or another. Besides the 2 cars we drive most days, we have a 69 Camaro, 68 El Camino, 66 chevelle, 68 chevelle, 66 cov. nova, and 71 nova. The Camaro and El Camino are the only drivers, and the 71 nova will be soon. We get them out only in the warmer months (salt is corrosive), driving them a couple times a week in to town. It is only 6 mile round trip, so gas isn't much of an issue (atleast it hasn't in the past). And because they aren't driven in the summer the insurance is taken down to just the minimum, which run $15 for 6 months. My husband has talked about getting classic car insurance, do you have any idea what it runs?

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  2:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, right now we have two Plymouth Satellite station wagons (1972 and 1974) and a 76 Duster. I think car insurance must be a lot more expensive in NY, I've never heard of an insurance premium of $15. Is that just to keep them registered while they're off the road? I'm not sure how much classic car insurance is, but I'll be finding out within the next week (my premium is coming due). My worry with the classic insurance is that you're only allowed a very small number of driving miles (I think it's 1500/year) - basically, the idea is that you're only driving the car to shows. It would be handy, though, for the times when the car is off the road being worked on and you need to take it out and drive it a few miles to see whether your repair is finished.

I'll let you know what I find out. I'd be interested to know if NY is a lot more expensive than IL. We're debating whether to move out of state.
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
The $15 is not for the road, that is just our premium for during winter. It covers anything happening to the car while in storage, fire, theft, vandalism, or possible damage say from roof caving in. If for some reason we need to drive it in winter (emergency) I just need to make a quick call the insurance guy to get it covered. For the other 6 months I think it runs $60 or $70 dollars, but that is just the bare minimum. If we get in an accident that is our fault we are out of luck. I know it isn't the greatest way to go, considering the money that is in them. However, our insurance company can't give us full coverage on them due to their age, not that we could afford it.

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  08:02:30 AM  Show Profile
That $60 to $70 dollars is a great deal! We've been insured through Nationwide and State Farm, and we can't get a six month premium for less than $300. I talked to my insurance agent about the classic car insurance, and it won't work for us because State Farm's version of it restricts the use of the car strictly to shows or parades. There may be other companies out there offering other kinds of policies.

I wish there was an insurance policy that went by the household rather than by the individual car. For instance, if my household owned a total of 5 vehicles but used them only for specialized purpases, I could be paying for one as the primary vehicle and be allowed a rotating second vehicle. With the cost of gas rising, it doesn't make sense to drive a pickup truck every day when you might only need it for hauling things around once or twice a month. But just to keep a car legally registered in NYS, it needs to be continuously insured. Wouldn't it be great if you, the motorist, was insured and you could slap that tag on whatever car you needed to drive that day? I think our state government could make some changes to the motor vehicle regulations that would save us a lot of money (much more than any federal gas rebate).
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  08:34:36 AM  Show Profile
It's 3.33/gal here today at Speedway. I found 2.97 and filled up. I felt like crying!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page