Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  4:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Yep, first sale this year. here is what I got. 2 quilts, one was 2 dollars, one was 10 dollars. watering can, 2 dollars, wrought Iron planter 2 dollars, and drum roll!!!!!!! a childs roll top desk from the early 1900's, had to pay a bit more but 20.00 dollars. A nice sweater 1 dollar, a glass jar for candy, 1 dollar.and a few little bits of other things. I t was a good day. Then all 4 little grand daughter were over , and the the big kids cmae to get them around five, and we had dinner, and now they have all gone home, and I am going to get my book and go to bed and read. So there you have it. exciting or what?
NANCY JO

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  5:24:48 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, What a wonderful day! Loved to hear about your bargains, especially the desk. Wish I could see them. And the day with the grand children sounds...well..grand. I had to work today so no garage sales, but next week I'm going to look even though I don't need anything.

Teddie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Teddie,
Thats the thing with garage sales, you don't need anything until you see it, so good luck next week, and buy yourself or someone else something they don't really need.
Nancy jo
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  08:45:28 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like the best day ever!!!! And what awesome finds....Quilts for $2.00!!!!OMG.I'm just green with envy!!LOL
I'm so happy you had such a wonderful time. :o)
Take care darlin'........and have a wonderful Mother's day!!!!!

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  09:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Yep its been a good garage sale season so far. Now last time I got two quilts, well would you believe that this week I found another one! this one was all of three dollars, it must be a good year for quilts. also got a nice oak shelf for one dollar, six GAP. shirts for my granddaughters, 50 cents each, these are like new. lots of kids books, and a nice two piece velour outfit for myself, 75 cents, brought it home, washed it, hemed the pants, ta da, looks pretty good on me I must say. Then it started to rain so we had to get home. already can't wait until next Saturday. Rusty Paula, come up here and go with me!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  06:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Like I said on the HAPPY MOTHERS DAY POST, My only regret for today is that there are no garage sales to go to this morning!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1796 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1796 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  08:17:35 AM  Show Profile
I also love to garage sale. May is the month in my area for city wide garage sales. I love these as there are usually up to 30 plus sales in the smaller towns. Many bargains but you need to start early. Wow a child's desk for $20 that is a deal. I have been to two town wide so far and another one is coming up Sat. I am totally addicted to garage sales in the summer. For baby and kids clothes and toys and furniture you cannot beat it. You need to grab something right away when you see it or it will disappear. Do you dicker a little with prices?
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  09:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Nancy! SCORE! I am a victim of the same garage sale obsession! My Mom says she passed on the "rummage gene". Yesterday I was purusing Goodwill while my dh had a tooth pulled (yes very supportive,eh?). Anyway, I found a BEAUTIFUL Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt, made from vintage fabrics. Bright cheery colors, in never used condition, for $10 ($5 with my 50% discount coupon) The sales woman even remarked "why do people give these things up?". I can't imagine!
Going up to my Mom's tomorrow, she has a load of stuff for me too! LOL I'll let you know what SHE found!
Happy rummaging all!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  10:10:38 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see I'am not the only one out there buying up all the toss offs. Rhonda, deal for sure on that quilt, I have 3 so far this year, and its early! You are right Marleen, no place better for kids clothes.
Only 3 more days and off I go again, I went today and got some cash in ones only, I have lots of coins, so I'am all set to go. will let you all know what I get this week. Let me know what you girls find, love hearing about it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  9:40:12 PM  Show Profile
OK, it's nearly midnight but I couldn't wait until morning to come here & report what Mom & I found today.
Blue & gray salt glazed pitcher-$1
A mason jar of old buttons-.25
A HUGE American flag with only 48 stars, in wonderful condition-FREE!
Two brown vintage suitcases-FREE!
A 50's tin picnic basket in plaid print-FREE!
A 50's tin picnic cooler in plaid print-FREE!
An old old carved wood tray-FREE!
A bag of old lace doilies & linens-don't even know what's in there yet!-FREE!
A box of vintage christmas decorations-some nice old glass, bottle brush trees & at least one cool old flocked lamb-haven't been to the bottom of that box yet either!-FREE!
And a big stack of bath towels-I think my mom must have run out of these growing up with 7 siblings, as she is always buying them for us! LOL I think she paid $2 for all.
A lovely victorian parlor table with heavily carved legs-needs refinishing, but...FREE!
Then later at the thrift store I found the coveted (to homeschoolers anyway)Cuisenaire Base ten Blocks (Math manipulatives for $5!!! New in the box!

So all in all, a TERRIFIC rummage day! I'm exhausted from hauling & scrubbing all my finds-the freebies were in exchange hauling them from a granny's basement! Her son wanted it out of there & said we could have whatever we found. I love hearing about the treasures everyone finds-keep those reports coming!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  9:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda
wow what a great bunch of stuff, and so much of it free, that doesn't usually happen! Was this all near your house? What are you going to do with the suitcases? that flag sounds like something important,what is it make of? All of this and it isn't even the weekend.
I'am going Friday morning, don't know about Saturday yet, but I think you won the prize this week!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  8:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nancy,
This was in my Mom's neighborhood-I went up to take her lunch & visit and we ended up in a friend's basement! I'm collecting the suitcases to be used as part of my craft booth display. The flag is very large & made of cloth (cotton?). I am going to peek on e-bay to see if it is indeed "anything". We found it folded neatly in the drawer of and old dresser. No tears or stains-looks great.
I'm going out Friday morning with a friend. She tells me there are 6 neighborhoods having sales this week. I must be nuts. I'll be having one of my own if this keeps up! LOL
Happy hunting everyone! Let us know what you find!
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic FIRST GARAGE SALE!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page