Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are Gas Prices Affecting You?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic
Page: of 8

goatgal
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Chasity
Catron MO
USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  1:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Send goatgal a Yahoo! Message
Right now I am just wishing the end of school would get here. I drive my daughter to school each day so she can go to a better one and is costing me between 50 and 60 dollars a week. It is really putting a strain on us.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile
My husband has started to ride his bicycle to and from work each day - 9 miles each way. It's a haul for sure, but with gas prices as they are, AND the fact that he says he feels so much better with the exercise, I think it's a good thing.

I always worry about bicycle safety on larger roads, but I guess I'll just have to know that he wears his helmet, and that I can't worry about everything.

Gas is now $2.78 here - that is low compared to what I'm seeing from some of you, but for us, it's still pretty steep...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  9:28:56 PM  Show Profile
My hubby is going to purchase a used economy car. It's a Mitsubishi and gets 40 miles per gallon. We're going to sell my van (boo hoo) and I'll be driving his Grand Am which gets better mileage. I hate to sell my van because I use it to haul stuff but saving money on gas is more important. Plus it has 182,000 miles on it so the mileage is not great!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  11:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
My husband & I have purchased new bikes & are now riding to work as often as the weather permits. We were already sharing one car! We can afford to pay the gas prices, but we don't want to, so we're using it as a segway into the healthier simpler life we were already working on. Also, our trip out west had to be postponed. Airfare was too expensive (probably due to fuel prices) and of course, driving wouldn't be much better. We are going to Canada instead. In the grand scheme of things, I know we are lucky to even be able to go on a vacation & relax. It would be nice though, to be able to escape a little farther away. It has also affected how often we see friends & family. Instead of either party jumping in the car to visit one another, there is the hesiation now while tallying the gas costs.

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  11:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm looking for a junk bike - everything I need is pretty much here in town, even my p/t job is only 2 miles away so it'll be good. I'm wanting one that I can put 2 baskets on the back, and I want it to be a "junk" bike so I don't worry about it getting stolen while I'm at the grocery store. My hubby's school job ends soon, so that will take $250 off our gas bill every month. My car's gas bill is $40/month, I only have to fill up once provided I don't go to the next town more than twice. :)

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  4:23:06 PM  Show Profile
Lynn
Me too, but the junk bike I'm looking for is to leave at work to go between the buildings that are about 2 blocks apart.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  9:23:20 PM  Show Profile
gurlz .. i'm sure not loving the price of gasoline .. but it sure hasn't stopped me from GOING whenever and wherever i want to go. travelling is just a very, very important part of our lives in this 'chapter' .. soooo .. we 'just do it'. don't like the high price of cereal either .. but i still eat it .. and that list goes on and on and on. i have defintely seen how it has curtailed spending on some 'wants' rather than 'needs' (such as antiques) (sales at our antiques mall have been down the last few months) .. and i know it has curtailed vacations to far-away places for many families .. but i'm hoping that the good part of this is that families will become more creative in visiting areas closer to home that they might get to see that sometimes the best things are right in our own back yards.

other than gasoline (and cereal!!!) what other things do you find 'hatefully high' these days? xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cathy needle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cathy
Newnan GA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, fresh tomatoes! I am so ready for summer tomatoes that I can grow and get from my garden buddies!

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house. C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile
oh miz cathy .. fresh oozing tomatoes dripping down my arms and chin .. i can hardly wait .. the ones i have been buying over the winter have been hard as rocks .. been putting them in a brown bag and leaving them out of the frige t'il they soften up .. but that summertime taste jus' isn't there!

p.s. i adore your c.s. lewis quote! oh so true! hugs! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

twigs
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

tiffany
lacie ky
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  8:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Send twigs an AOL message
Meadowlark,

this is a very good question. i believe its terrible that we are paying such high prices for gas. I remember when dh retired from the marine Corps and we moved back to the hills of ky we were paying .87 cents per gallon....and what the heck happened in a short span is beyond me.

We just bought a new SUV. living in the hills of ky, you have to have something wtih a good transmission. been through too many transmissions in our old van i cant count......we are a big family of 6, so we have to have something to accomidate us in one vehicle....we have had luck with the SUV but gosh they take alot of gas. we only get 16 miles per gallon. we had a 42 gallon tank.....with this gas spike it cost me 125.00 to fill up......OUCHERS.....

i dont understand why we cant buy oil from Iraq now that we have taken over their country....and we have helped out kuwait and they should give us a deal for saving their oil adn country......not to mention half of mexico is in our country living on our taxes.....we should get a deal on oil i think........but i dont see that happening.....

i will say, i tend to try to watch how many trips i take to town in the week, but heck if i want to go, i just go......

i think mary jane should really market her gas plan.....farmers everywhere in america could be making us gas..........

twigs

May you be surrounded by the things of olde that make you feel like a treasure!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page