Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are Gas Prices Affecting You?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic
Page: of 8

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  09:53:03 AM  Show Profile
With Rita set to hit the Texas coast, gas will probably go through the roof again. I am very concerned for the people affected by these storms. I have cut my driving way back. I drive about 5-10 mph below the speed limit. People get angry behind me and tailgate and zoom around me flipping me off and giving dagger stares. I am just conserving fuel, not trying to ruin their day. If more people could ( and I know that alot of us have got to commute and drive long distances to work) could cut back their driving and lower their speeds maybe it would make a difference. I have just taken the attitude of being STINGY as heck with my gas dollars. I think it is deplorable and criminal for oil companies to take advantage of the public, and struggling families because of what storms are doing. These families have been wiped out...and still they have to pay dearly out of their budgets for gas. Not to mention what it will cost for heating oil and natural gas this winter! God forbid we have a record breaking winter and blizzards! Will people perish because they can't afford to heat their homes? This is just getting out of control! These are the basics of life, and appear to be not affordable to us anymore. What is happening here? I am sorry I am ranting here, but I just feel so helpless. All I can do is conserve the best I can and vote in elections.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 21 2005 09:54:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  10:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I hear that about hybrid cars, Kris. My diesel new beetle gets the same if not better gas mileage, is less expensive to buy AND repair, and yet few people know about it! I get around 50-55 mpg on the freeway and about 30-35 on surface streets. And about the one child families with the suburbans... I just don't understand it! My sister in-law INSISTED on getting a suburban when their first child was about 2 (apparently the SUV she already drove just wasn't going to cut it!) and now they're paying out the nose just to get my nephew to his soccer practice! I am daily trying to lessen my consumption, and it's a slow journey, but I'm working on it!
Go to Top of Page

OkieSunflower
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

OK
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  11:07:58 AM  Show Profile
We looked at a beetle, but I'm too long-legged. My two (at-home boys) couldn't get in it. I did trade my 13mpg suburban in for a 30mpg car that they could ride in tho.
Figure I've GOT to try to save, but I can only go so far. We do have to continue living, and working.
It is amazing at the vehicles that I see on the highway (during my commute). I remember what it was like filling up that suburban...what are THEY paying to fill their vehicles? Just glad I made the switch! I'm happy and I'm trying!

"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others." Jonathan Winters
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  11:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, I know just how you feel, I"ve always been thrifty in all catorgories and sometimes I feel so alone in a effort to conserve, not only gas, but everything. It's getting real scary just thinking about winter and if we can afford to heat our home, we use propane but wish we had wood even as a back up. I worry for my grandkids, what will it be like for them?

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  12:00:06 PM  Show Profile
Junebug, I have a 23 yr old who is finishing college. I worry so much about her too. She works a full time job, attends college full time, and rides her bicycle everywhere to save on gas. It is fine and dandy and in a college town, but when she relocates to a large city like she wants too, what then? She is very frugal, but I just don't see how she can make it. I heard today, gas could hit 5.00 after Rita. And that home heating oil and gas will be up by 70% this winter. We heat with propane too, but use it as back up for our wood burning furnace. I may be scavenging for wood this fall, and cutting my own supply. DH is gone a lot, and I need to fill in the gaps. Propane is sooooo expensive! My in-laws have tons of hedge wood I can cut and gather. I hope they will let me...in the past they would not...hmmmm. Chopping and stacking wood is good exercise!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile
The old saying is true, wood heats you three times over, cutting, hauling and burning! Plus it is good exercise, I remember those days well, of course I was younger, but still nothing beats a nice fire in a wood stove on a chilly night. Our gas here has been going down pennies a day, down to $2.45 sure hope it stays this way for awhile but am worried about Rita making it jump it again, I'll be glad when this hurricane season is over!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Talk about rearing an ugly head- Rita is causing problems here in Georgia and she is nowhere near us! In an attempt to not relive the fiasco caused by Hurricane Katrina and the price-gouging that went on, our Governor today asked for- 1. people not to make panic purchases at the gas pump and 2. the state's school systems to take 2 early "snow days" and close Monday and Tuesday. The hope is that we will conserve not only on gasoline, but on electrical and natural gas costs as well.
I can see the wisdom in this (and my children are delighted) but I wonder what will happen this winter when costs of each of those commodities goes up. We are totally reevaluating our priorities and focusing on conserving not only energy but finances as well so that we won't get caught in what seems to be an inevitable trap.
In the meantime, I just shelled out $35 for MaryJane's book so I will have something to read this winter and help me live a bit more simply!! That's planning ahead!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Karin, your on the right track! Mj's book is worth every penny, enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  4:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Karin - all the schools are closed in GA EXCEPT Floyd County, where my husband works! lol. Figures, doesn't it? They've been experimenting with running the school buses on CHICKEN FAT this year since there are a few chicken farms around. Interesting, eh?

Where is Ellenwood? I'm in the NW corner, about 45 minutes south of Chattanooga. We got some nice winds here (but no rain yet, and we are DRY).
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Lynn-
Glad to hear that you are dry in your little corner of GA. Ellenwood is just south of Atlanta. If you've heard of Henry County, that's where I am. We seem to be on the news a lot lately! Yikes.
I had heard on the news that your county was not going to close
(such rebels!) for the two days. I think that there are others as well. As for the chicken fat idea- it's sounds really interesting. If they can do it successfully, all the power to them. Would it make the kids think they were driving in a KFC bus? MmmMmm- Fried chicken!
I love that this particular gas shortage is causing people to look seriously at alternative fuel sources. Necessity is truly the mother of invention.
I hope you have a lovely week.
Karin
Go to Top of Page

cathy needle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cathy
Newnan GA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  07:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, we triangle Atlanta--I'm in Newnan, actually Roscoe, southwest on I-85. We're in a still relatively rural area, and several church members heat with wood and live very simply. We've got a Buck stove from the 70s, and I'm seriously looking at doing a big tamp-down on the natural gas and burning the Buck stove this winter. Gasoline is not a huge issue for us--I work at home, Bob works locally, and our daughter is grown and in ATL. We're pretty boring folks, I like staying at home and playing with my sewing machines and crochet hooks.

However, we are going to bite the bullet and take a field trip this Friday and go to Westville, south of Columbus GA, to see how a community lived in the 1850s. The last few years instead of a week-long vacation we take day trips and occasional long weekends. Westville looks like a really cool place--www.westville.org. Never been there but have wanted to go for years! Anyone ever been?

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house. C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  08:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Cathy, your trip sounds so cool! Can we come too?

I am actually looking for a little wood stove. It would just be nice to have one, even if our home isn't ready for it quite yet.

Floyd County announced their Chicken Fat experiments in the late Spring, I think. I am proud of them for being so forward-thinking! I think the article said it would save the system $20,000/year. Can't remember how many buses they were going to start with to try that tho.

Oh, and we didn't stay dry! I am very happy for the rain, we needed it! All our trees are starting to look so sad for want of water, and my veggies are finishing up for the year. Water is a beautiful thing.

Edited by - greyghost on Sep 26 2005 08:20:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile
Cathy, do let us know how your trip goes, would love to hear about the days back then, well worth a little gas... We sure do miss wood heat but it would raise our insurance sky high if we even put in a wood stove, can't win for losing.

Go to Top of Page

cathy needle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cathy
Newnan GA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  11:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Well, I kinda strayed from the subject, didn't I?

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house. C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  12:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I dunno, Sue. I just got my water bill (which if we had gas, it would be on the same bill) and there was a big warning on there saying the price of gas for heating would be going up 40-70% due to Katrina. NOW there's Rita...
How much would the insurance go up?

My neighbor on Social Security was complaining about heating costs last year. I really don't know what will happen this year for her. :(
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, here we go again. Gas is back to 2.99 or more a gallon in SE WI.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  04:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, it's gone from $2.45 here to $2.73 in a matter of days! Now I knew gas would go up and now they are saying natural gas and propane too will be up for winter, but the propane tank??? We rent ours, which used to be $35 a yr., last year it went up to $40 and this year $50 plus tax! All it does is sit there, no maintance to it plus in the 11 years we've had the same one, it hasn't even gotten a new coat of paint! I guess it's time to look for one to buy, if we can afford that route? Ack.....

Go to Top of Page

Bess
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bess
Eureka CA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  06:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Just filled up yesterday and regular gas was $3.19. It was actually up to $3.25 right after Katrina, but gas is always way expensive in my neck of the woods. We really have altered our lifestyles. I used to drive home at lunch but stay at work now (15 minute drive each way). My husband bought a big ole diesel F-250 a few years back and diesel is $3.55! Used to be cheaper than gas. He is a rock climber and has really limited his "road trips" and tries really hard to fill the truck with other climbers who will share the cost of driving. I've been thinking hard on MJ's mustard seed biodiesel. We have used biodiesel in our F-250, but we are afraid of "gelling" when it gets below 45 degrees so we can't consider it for the winter. Is that true?? Any one else using biodiesel? How do you deal with winters? Anyway, am starting to think we should convince hubby's Mom and bro-in-law, who live on a ranch close by, that maybe we should plant some mustard there and get a press! He is an organic farmer so it would be to his benefit... Thoughts??
Go to Top of Page

Bess
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bess
Eureka CA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  05:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Bayou Bunch, you are so right about taking things for granted! Here I am worried about a few extra dollars in my gas tank while REAL PEOPLE (like you!) are struggling with the real mess in LA. I think I am so bombarded by bad world news that I tend to tune it out and don't consider the reality of it--it would be too much to bear on a daily basis, except in the very limited and selfish way that it may affect ME! So I am sending my good thoughts your way and hoping your hometown will mend as soon as it can. In the meantime, I will try to keep these small inconveniences in a positive light. I was driving home from work yesterday and noticing that as much as we all complain about the rising cost of fuel still half the vehicles (many of which were big trucks or SUVs) only had a driver in them (including myself)!Time to seriously consider the bus or carpooling--sigh...and give up my "right" to come and go as I please?? We really are spoiled aren't we??
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  4:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Bayou Bunch - thank you for bringing this up. California is pretty far away from hurricane problems and it's good to be reminded that LOTS of people are still struggling in all kinds of ways with the damage. I never thought about the effect this would have on the small towns that have an influx of survivors. You describe it very well. Any ideas what might help your town through the winter? Sure, we throw money at the issue, but what really helps this day to day stuff?
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  6:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Today I paid the LEAST for gas I have in the last 6 months $2.29/ gallon. I know it's not going to last, but it seems that the economy is hitting hardest the people who need the biggest break right now.
My relatives are not going back, they have had it and are going to stay up here . We know that it is not going to be easy by any means, but atleast they don't stand the chance of the losing their home to flood again. I hope and pray that there is a time very soon when all people affected can put their heads down at night and rest with a peacefulness that comes from knowing you are where you belong:HOME.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  05:15:41 AM  Show Profile
My heart goes out to all those who have had their lives turned upside down or worse with the hurricanes. Our country is hurting and in need of prayer, support and relief from the high cost of everything though I'm doubtful it will ever come about.

Meanwhile, yes the domino effect of the higher gas prices is affecting us. Here in Upstate NY, gas prices are around $3.00 per gallon and never really dropped under $2.70. The cost of food, clothing, utilities, taxes has increased again, this time under the guise of higher fuel costs. As winter approaches we'll be hit with higher rate hikes and fees no doubt. It's scary for those on fixed incomes and I worry how they-like us, will be able to keep their homes. Each night I say prayers of thankfulness for being blessed with loved ones, a roof over my head, food in the cupboard and a soft bed. Many heartfelt prayers go out for those folks who are not so fortunate as we are. I believe that the good life is in simple living - health, home, hearth and happiness found within each of us, and in these we all are so very blessed.

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  5:37:14 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!!

Just had to share this. I bought gas for $2.65/gallon in Fort Worth a few days ago. It was available at a Citgo station in the poverty-stricken neighborhood where I work. Everywhere else in the area gas is selling for about $2.85-2.98.

Citgo is owned by the govt of Venezuela, and the President, Hugo Chavez, announced that he would sell gas to the US at lower prices if he could be assured that the gas would go to the poor neighborhoods. I heard on tv that the govt had turned him down, but I still keep wondering if there is some connection. Have any of ya'll heard or seen anything like this in your areas?

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  4:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Way to go connie! Haven't heard that here but will keep my ears open!

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Gas prices seem to be declining here. I see today it is $2.54 ~~I remember "They" said that the prices would go up so high-- that we would appreciate it when it was $2.50~~"They" were right. Hope it continues to decrease~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are Gas Prices Affecting You? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page